• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Nintendo Direct announced for February 8th

The first half of the Direct was pretty shit, but the second half was pretty good

also wow that splatoon pass looks like a ripoff

weirdest moment of the direct for me was the Splatoon 3 Season Pass Wave 1

it's.. the same hub ported over that you can optionally use? ok? hope there are more details to follow there lol
It seems like it’s just a fun appetizer before the big campaign, but Nintendo advertised it as a big deal. Definitely skewed expectations a bit.

That was a pretty good direct. A lot of the new announcements were "old" stuff but it was good old stuff. I was mostly just happy to see more Pikmin 4 and get a date.

They said the direct would only cover the first half and announcements only go up to July so far so it feels standard
They usually have a title that’s a ways out of the focused period for a Direct.
Nintendo not being at E3 doesn't mean they won't have a Direct around the same time.
They skipped doing a summer Direct in 2020 and 2022, so I’m not exactly filled with confidence.

I'm so happy with Metroid that I don't care about anything else. Really, I haven't been this excited for a game since... I don't know lol

Edit: I've seen the Zelda trailer a few more times. Hype is over 9000.

Last edited:
I'll be honest, I think that for TotK what we see is what we're getting, we're in a splatoon 3 situation.
Don't expect a trailer that will change everything and show a completely different game than botw.

Of course the one direct I don’t expect Metroid for we get Prime remaster and then the implication of Metroid II, Fusion and Zero Mission via NSO lmfao

I'll be honest, I think that for TotK what we see is what we're getting, we're in a splatoon 3 situation.
Don't expect a trailer that will change everything and show a completely different game than botw.
If that ends up being the case it'll be disappointing though, because it took over six years to come out

Level 5 comeback by sneakingly announcing three(!) new games from them is the biggest and best surprise that they could‘ve ever done in a direct.

Honestly I‘m still not sure what exactly we‘re seeing.

My bingo card did pretty good
MFebDirectbingo23.jpg

I didn't need to see anything of TotK, Nintendo could have just slid the game into my DMs and I'd be there day 1.

Honestly the only mistake I feel they've made in the marketing was the September 2022 direct trailer. If that trailer had been incorporated into this trailer I think everyone would be losing their minds despite it being the same footage.

It's obvious that they will reveal their Holiday game after TotK is out.
Yep. They didn't reveal Smash on the first Direct of the year, nor Metroid Dread, nor either of the Mario Party games. I'm pretty sure they'll hold that until June where they either make a general Direct or drop the bomb on Twitter.
I think it’s clear now that Nintendo intends to have a June Direct, since they’ve only dated games from them up to July.
Yeah, moreso if they decided to just shadowdrop Metroid Prime Remastered. That really would fit the October spot if they didn't have anything. Or Pikmin 4 would release later.
Mother 3 feels like Summer or Fall direct bait. It'll be announced the same way Goldeneye was last Fall, as a special "one more thing" during the nso update segment.
Yeah, that's definitely gonna be the biggest announcement of the GBA NSO that they'll hold close to their chest. I was disappointed it won't be at launch but just imagine the hype on June or September Direct.
Ganondorf's voice acting sucks

Yeah I agree very much lol. Chris Pratt Mario looking good close to this.
I was so happy with this announcement even though I would have liked a brand new game but as you said I'm SURE it's coming soon! Etrian Odyssey III is amazing, so if you only have to play one game only, you can definitely choose this one!
YEEEESSSSS we just have to wait!!
They did release Nocturne Remaster just 6 months before V. I think they'll release the collection and announce a new one by June or September Direct. Really exciting times!! Atlus been serving.
Mario Party Superstars is beyond dead, huh...? :(
I think they'll just keep on doing sequels close to each other instead of DLC, as disappointing as that might be... I think a Mario Party next year is a pretty safe bet and Superstars 2 or Super Mario Party 2 are the most likely outcomes.

Can't have a direct without the NY store reaction video. Glad to see a filled up viewing again
Too bad the screen is obscured.

Can't have a direct without the NY store reaction video. Glad to see a filled up viewing again
Too bad the screen is obscured.

The unbridled joy for that TotK trailer is so refreshing right now

Is this the Direct with the most shadow drops? I swear including demos feels like I could download 10 things right now after that show.

The direct was great. Was very surprised at no kind of Mario game announcement be it mainline or spin-off.

Also, what’s going on August to December hmmmm from Nintendo. Nothing there so far. I guess F-Zero gonna come then. Still think 2D Mario or DK will come then. They didn’t need a long announcement to release.

Metroid Prime 4 chances have increased for coming this holiday, but I’m not a fan of them waiting so late to finally do a reveal and release of such a huge title. Basically, the reveal will have to be a meaty trailer. You’ll be skipping the teaser part if it’s revealed in June.

The direct was great. Was very surprised at no kind of Mario game announcement be it mainline or spin-off.

Also, what’s going on August to December hmmmm from Nintendo. Nothing there so far. I guess F-Zero gonna come then. Still think 2D Mario or DK will come then. They didn’t need a long announcement to release.

Metroid Prime 4 chances have increased for coming this holiday, but I’m not a fan of them waiting so late to finally do a reveal and release of such a huge title. Basically, the reveal will have to be a meaty trailer. You’ll be skipping the teaser part if it’s revealed in June.
It's obvious that they are holding at least one of their Holiday games to reveal after Zelda releases, this is even more obvious when Pikmin is a July release and not something like September.

It's obvious that they are holding at least one of their Holiday games to reveal after Zelda releases, this is even more obvious when Pikmin is a July release and not something like September.
Yeah it became obvious they don’t want to announce any holiday titles until after TOTK. I fully expect a General Direct in JUNE with announcements of Metroid Prime 4, 2D Mario/DK, F-Zero GX, etc

I still think that Prime 4 is early 2024, and Mario something or DK are the holiday game
That’s very possible. An announcement in June for Prime 4 to release in early 2024 feels more right lol (but I’m not complaining if it makes it this holiday).

I really don't understand why Nintendo didn't join E3 then.
They clearly need a summer Direct to showcase their H2 lineup.
At this point problems with new E3 people i suppose or Nintendo deciding to not spent marketing money for a phisical event this year

Ngl, pretty disappointing as a big DK fan. But, happy for the people who got stuff they wanted.
Thanks. I understand your pain. Happy I got Pikmin gameplay and release date. Keep your head up.

Of all things, i never imagined Level 5 making a "big comeback" ... and certainly not through a Nintendo Direct.

I really don't understand why Nintendo didn't join E3 then.
They clearly need a summer Direct to showcase their H2 lineup.
Like Samus95 said I think there’s new people running E3 now and that with probably a combination of realizing they don’t need their physical space anymore.

I was going to do an epic, eloquent, full-of-gags fake Direct script, but I'm on sick leave and pretty knackered. Plus, every potential leak eats into my brain, so I'll go ahead and do a quicker predictions post.

Let's start with what's not happening today:

• No Metroid Prime 4 or Metroid Prime HD; I think they'll appear in a summer presentation
  • No Detective Pikachu, no Pokemon patch, no Pokemon DLC; I think this comes in a Pokemon Presents later this month
  • No Pikmin 4; saved for the summer presentation
  • No new N64 roadmap (summer)
  • No Nintendo software that's coming any later than July; Nintendo are saving the late summer/autumn titles for a later presentation and concentrating their current marketing efforts on the Mario Movie and Zelda (this is why they aren't spending on an E3 exhibition)
  • No new titles from Good-Feel, Grezzo, or NdCube (these are summer/September announcements and part of Nintendo's late 2023/early 2024 line up)
  • No 2D Mario - it's announced in June for a November release

What does happen today:
  • Zelda gets a bombastic trailer to close the Direct
  • NSO GB and GBA do happen; Nintendo confirm Pokemon games will come to NSO and utilise transfer pak functionality with N64 NSO. GB and GBA go into the Expansion Pack; GBA games will launch once per month at first, with N64 dropping down to once every other month. GB/GBC updates will come at random intervals in random quantities, because Nintendo are filled with spite and ROMs. 15 GB/GBC & 10 GBA titles on day one.
  • Mario games do happen, but they're smaller titles: Dr Mario 99 will be available later today & Mario's Mediocre Sports Mix launches mid June
  • the other new first-party game reveal is Tomodachi World: launches mid July
  • Advance Wars gets a new release date: April 21st, 2023
  • Bayonetta Origins gets a new trailer and a demo
  • Kirby gets new content confirmed
  • Splatoon 3 Season 3 reveal
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3 wave 3 launches this week; first look at the story DLC which is confirmed for summer 2023
  • Fire Emblem DLC is also detailed
  • Sparks of Hope DLC is also detailed
  • Mario Kart next wave gets a release date
  • F ZERO GX HD is a first-party release, late June
  • Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings & the Lost Ocean HD, supervised by Monolith Soft, and published by Bandai-Namco, comes to the eShop this summer. Baten Kaitos Origins HD gets a vague 2023 confirmation.

So to sum up: it's high on content (DLC! games! NSO!), low on reveals (Dr Mario 99, Mario sports, Tomodachi World). No fucking clue what third parties bring to the table, but I'm hoping for Oxenfree 2, Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters, and Sea of Stars.

Jan 20th: Fire Emblem Engage
Feb 9th: Dr Mario 99 (NSO)
Feb 24th: Kirby's Return to Dreamland DX
March 17th: Bayonetta Origins
April 21st: Advance Wars Reboot Camp
May 12th: Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
June 9th: Mario's Mediocre Sports Mix
June 30th: F ZERO GX HD
July 14th: Tomodachi World
Stuff I got right:
  • Advance Wars gets a new release date: April 21st, 2023 [exact!]
  • Bayonetta Origins gets a new trailer and a demo
  • Kirby gets new content confirmed
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3 wave 3 launches this week; first look at the story DLC which is confirmed for summer 2023
  • Fire Emblem DLC is also detailed
  • Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings & the Lost Ocean HD, supervised by Monolith Soft, and published by Bandai-Namco, comes to the eShop this summer. Baten Kaitos Origins HD gets a vague 2023 confirmation. [double pack, but did call it being Namco rather than Nintendo]
  • Zelda gets a bombastic trailer to close the Direct [easy guess, this one]
  • NSO GB and GBA do happen [we'll wait and see on Pokémon; maybe confirmed later this month?]
  • No new N64 roadmap (summer)
  • No Nintendo software that's coming any later than July; Nintendo are saving the late summer/autumn titles for a later presentation and concentrating their current marketing efforts on the Mario Movie and Zelda (this is why they aren't spending on an E3 exhibition) [Nintendo's release calendar now stops with Pikmin 4 in July]
  • No new titles from Good-Feel, Grezzo, or NdCube (these are summer/September announcements and part of Nintendo's late 2023/early 2024 line up) [no sign of these yet]
  • No 2D Mario - it's announced in June for a November release [no sign of this yet; but I'm guessing we get a Mario Direct in late March or early April]

Blessedly wrong on Prime HD not appearing, praise the Samus. Also wrong on F Zero appearing and wrong to say Pikmin 4 wouldn't appear.

My two cents about what we saw yesterday:

-The Pikmin 4 trailer was lit, really masterful in explaining what the game is about and what's new. the Ice Pikmin and how it impact the environment, the mini dog companion with its abilities, the climbing mechanic, and interestings boss fight. and they of course tease more! we'll be somehow able play to during night time? there will be more Pikmin? and companions? how big is the world? really awesome, and 21 July is way earlier than expected.

-TotK trailer on the other hand was peculiar. is not a hyping story trailer, but a lot of mechanic were showed or heavily implied. underground Hyrule seems really a thing, a lot of veichles may imply not only a much more complex traversal, but also a building mechanic maybe? I'm just a little disappointed by the fact that we didn't saw that much of Sky Hyrule, I hope is big and challenging as we all dream it may be. anyway, day one.

-there wasn't a single Nintendo announcement besides MP Remaster. it's a fantastic project and very well crafted, but the lack of Mario/DK anything is a little bummer. I'm almost inclined to believe that Switch H2 and Fall is barren but...

-c'mon, wth is happening with Nintendo schedule? if nothing is there for H2, Metroid could have easily been a summer release with a more ceremonial trailer, and Pikmin 4 slotted in early fall. from now till July Switch schedule is really packed, but nothing is beyond that besides a generic summer release for BK HD Remaster. I'm really incline to believe that a summer showcase with a handful of maybe small but somehow significant annoucement is in the cards.

-As I said, a lot interesting stuff is releasing from now till July. Octopath Traveler II, TotK, Pikmin 4, Bayonetta Origins, Raincode, MP Remaster, Advance Wars just to name some games. surely 2023 is loaded in its initial span.

-GBA is such an underrated console and I can't be happier for this second chance. I'll play the hell out of this.

Overall a good showcase even if I'm disappointed by the lack of any significant new announcement, but for this reason I think a summer showcase is due

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom