• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Nintendo almost went back to Mario’s Pre-GameCube/N64 design (Super Mario Bros. Wonder)

Thanks for telling me what everyone else saw that I missed, but I still think people are making these subtle changes seem bigger than they actually are. It's not exactly the "throw everything in the trash and start over" approach that I've seen certain people demand from Nintendo.
One way to approach this is to focus on one specific body part and compare each variation. The eyes are an easy place to start. What do you notice?

22119301.jpg
not classic enough, they need to go back farther.
like “jumpman’s” design on the original Donkey Kong arcade flyer.

or do a licensing deal to turn the game into “Super Popeye Wonder” featuring the iconic comic strip character.
I'm pretty sure that's Waluigi

One way to approach this is to focus on one specific body part and compare each variation. The eyes are an easy place to start. What do you notice?
I'm taking a look at them now, I see that in Wonder, the iris takes up a larger proportion of the eye

The model looks too much like Super Mario RPG or DKC2 Mario, which I always thought were kind of awkward. The final version brought back the squat cuteness he lost in Sunshine more gracefully. There's a clumsy stockiness to that footage. I think they had to stylize the animation a lot more to make that design work, because old sprite Mario skitters about like he's not at all bothered by his round body, but this one has that King K. Rool walk cycle.

looks like a party animals character when standing still.

the small mario we got is perfect

Back
Top Bottom