• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Nikkei source: Next-gen Nintendo console development "progressing well" but will not launch until Spring 2024 at the earliest

frog

Spin it, boys!
To offset the Switch's decline and get back on the growth track, many are calling on the company to introduce a new console.

One is rumored to be due out next year. "Development seems to be progressing well," a source close to Nintendo told Nikkei Asia. "But a product launch won't happen before next spring at the earliest."

Pretty much exactly what we surmised after the recent statements

Next year makes sense since Nintendo told investors there will be no new hardware this fiscal year.

Though I hope they don't wait until late 2024, I think Spring 2024 is better. Many of Nintendo's development studios have been silent for a while, surely they are have many software planned for next year.

Basically what everyone that doesnt goes to the hardware thread has been saying lul
I started to believe in 2023 a bit after the Direct

But last night I was wondering how we have concrete product rumors about the freaking PS5 Pro for holiday 2024 but nada about the Switch 2 launching this year and well... lol

I started to believe in 2023 a bit after the Direct

But last night I was wondering how we have concrete product rumors about the freaking PS5 Pro for holiday 2024 but nada about the Switch 2 launching this year and well... lol

Nintendo Ninja's went through some rigorous training throughout the pandemic.

Glad to hear Switch has plenty of life left in it! Hope that like 3DS, it keeps getting support after the Switch 2 releases. Love to get mileage out of my hardware!

It'll be interesting to see how the launch is handled. I just don't want a situation where it's super limited and extremely difficult to purchase for the first couple of years, especially it has a lot of exclusive, non-cross gen games. It would be nice to see Nintendo have a solid supply before launching.

Fall 2024/spring 2025 was and will always be my guess.

2024 will be full of GCN remasters and almost zero third party stuff for Switch (Layton will be published by N).

I think an holiday 2024 release is the best bet together with a new big 3d mario game.
I guess they also fixed the Zelda problem and they'll release the next zelda game only 4 years in the next switch life cycle. That way they'll be able to release the next next switch in 2035 with a new 3d zelda game. Clever Nintendo is here to stay

I'm already looking forward to another playthrough of TOTK when this eventually releases. Now if the 12th will get here so I can get my first playthrough started that'll be great lol.

And the average big third party developer will still say "We didn't have time to be prepared for this new system!" if/when they offer underwhelming initial support.

And the average big third party developer will still say "We didn't have time to be prepared for this new system!" if/when they offer underwhelming initial support.
depends when Nintendo get them dev kits i guess... if they're being secretive about it...

2024 will be full of GCN remasters and almost zero third party stuff for Switch (Layton will be published by N).
Look, if this is how we get GCN remasters, fine, so be it, at least we're getting something, but dammit I was at least holding out hope for a strong-ish 1st party line up and like a GCN remaster every 2-4 months.

Clearly I just need to make the jump to expect 2025 just to be surprised when Nintendo announces anything. No general direct until September! No new Mario until 2024! No new hardware until 2025! TotK is the last brand new 3D Zelda adventure until 2030!

God I need to find a better way to vent.

Good thing that Layton will be out before successor. But Layton is published by Level 5.

Really hoping for spring 2024, with a reveal autumn/winter 2023. I can't imagine what's slowing them down, I thought NVIDIA is providing most of the gubbins. They must be agonising over the name harder than Fami.

depends when Nintendo get them dev kits i guess... if they're being secretive about it...
Of course. I was mostly referencing cases like Bandai Namco or Capcom during the first years of the Switch era; they were among the first (probably the first) companies that got devkits and yet they constantly used the "But we didn't have enough time!" justification when proper support failed to materialise.

Clearly I just need to make the jump to expect 2025 just to be surprised when Nintendo announces anything. No general direct until September! No new Mario until 2024! No new hardware until 2025! TotK is the last brand new 3D Zelda adventure until 2030!
Whoa, easy there with pessimism. Draw the line at "no direct this June". We all need that big Donkey Kong announcement that Andy Robinson considers as "not big".

Clearly Nintendo is paralyzed by their success and don't know what to do next. /s
This but unironically I suppose I should tone down the pessimism a smidge lol

Whoa, easy there with pessimism. Draw the line at "no direct this June". We all need that big Donkey Kong announcement that Andy Robinson considers as "not big".
Force of habit, and one I really need to kick. It's just...I've had one too many "Nintendo should do [X] but of course they're doing {ø}" in my time that it seems more aggravating than charming. Yes yes, their identity is unique, behaviour with precedent, expect the unexpected, etc., but like...damn would it kill them to follow at least some of the more common trends the others are doing (like competent online services and functionality)?

Welp, there it is. Will start to save every penny and get a 2nd job for the $599 price. I hope it also launches with RIIIIIIIIDGE RAACER and GIANT ENEMY CRAB as launch titles.

It's easy for Nintendo to keep new system leaks under control. All you gave to do is not supply Ubisoft with dev kits.

I hope it is backwards compatible with Switch games and I also hope that Switch games get performance boost patches.

Would it even be feasible to release hardware during a holiday season? There's a high chance of it selling out during that period. Don't think Nintendo wants to disappoint potential customers. Not even mentioning the fact that the second quarter is the time when most units are sold throughout the year.

Early 2024 seems way more likely to me.

Whether it's 2024 or 2025 I think Nintendo will do a Spring release for the Switch's successor. Gives them time to build up both stock and an attractive early selection of games (along with performance/graphic updates for older Switch titles) before releasing a big holiday title later that year.

I'm hoping that 2023 didn't end without a new Mario game for the Switch. I guess the only Mario series that would be feasible at this point is Dr. Mario, which is basically the least ambitious Mario spinoff.

Thank you for reading.

Alright so next year it is. It was feeling like that anyways with just how quiet it has been and I also can't say I didn't put any stock into what Nate was speculating. It was obviously wild speculation but there had to be some reason behind it and I have zero reason to think he's an idiot.
Basically what everyone that doesnt goes to the hardware thread has been saying lul
wouldn't expect it to be any different tbh

Announcement early 2024, release in Holiday 2024 alongside 3D Mario. Donkey Kong, Metroid Prime 4, FE4 Remake, and maybe a couple other things carry the 2024 Switch lineup.

Look, if this is how we get GCN remasters, fine, so be it, at least we're getting something, but dammit I was at least holding out hope for a strong-ish 1st party line up and like a GCN remaster every 2-4 months.

God I need to find a better way to vent.
Please don't. We're all waiting for the TTYD announcement to see what negative angle you'll find.

Seems good to me. Plenty of fun to be had with my Switch still with Zelda almost here.
Guess we’ll also see Dragon Quest 3 HD2D this year.

I'm not being sarcastic.

The Switch is graphically/visually very similar to the Wii U, which in turn is very similar to the PS360.
As a Nintendo fan, we've been seeing the same graphics for over a decade now.

I'm eagerly awaiting the new console because we're finally going to be playing Nintendo games with PS4 level of graphics.

Yeah I was wondering if they might sneak it out by March next year to give their financials a big boost at the end, but doesn't seem likely now. Feels like September - November 2024 is the likeliest time this comes out now.

I imagine Nintendo still have a couple of biggish Switch games in the bank for the coming 18 months or so, but definitely would expect them to go on that rumoured porting spree from Pikmin 4 onwards.

Back
Top Bottom