• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour New Switch model for Q4 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the next switch is coming in 2024, then we will probably get a spec leak around July. Not too much long to wait.

There's an update from the seemingly the same poster:

The hash checks out, and I don't think MD5 is too broken to trust that at this point. This at least gives more information to look for in upcoming trailers for verification.

md5 is absolutely too broken to trust at this point, you can google an md5 cracker and reverse any hash into its string

Besides, all it would be doing is proving it's the same person. It wouldn't be proving that they're not trolling about the hardware thing.

Quoted by: LiC
md5 is absolutely too broken to trust at this point, you can google an md5 cracker and reverse any hash into its string

Besides, all it would be doing is proving it's the same person. It wouldn't be proving that they're not trolling about the hardware thing.
MD5 is only broken to collision resistance (if you know plaintext A and its hash, it's easy to find plaintext B that has the same hash). It is not broken to preimage attacks (if you only know a hash, it's extremely computationally expensive to find the plaintext). In this case, an unknown 14 character plaintext would not have been feasible to crack since the post was made.

The reverse lookup only works now because people have been plugging the plaintext into sites like this since yesterday, so now it's known.

You are correct that it doesn't prove the information is real, but it's definitely the same person. No one cracked the MD5.

This is the exact kind of nonsense that they mean they don't want to have to put up with for another 7 years, please point out to me the 2017 tech that made the Switch outdated.

You can't because it doesn't exist (or costs several times as much) and the Switch wasn't outdated in any sense.
It was less powerful than PS4/XBone and this made ports difficult. That's all I meant.

It was less powerful than PS4/XBone and this made ports difficult. That's all I meant.
You literally responded to a post saying they didn’t want to hear how “outdated” the Switch was at launch just to say it was outdated. And your defense is that ports were difficult despite nobody arguing otherwise. If you believe the next Switch will have zero problems with ports even though it will also likely be portable, then you’re doing exactly what the poster said they didn’t want to hear anymore.

For long term 3rd party support, it would definitely be ace if Nintendo, for once, would manage to not fall from a successful system to a "dud" like in the last gens.

With scalability getting better and better and more tools being available for devs, it's becoming more of a financial question than a tech related one.
Sure, there will be "confused_blink.gif" decisions even in future gens, but ultimately it's about money, so give the 3rds an ecosystem that's too attractive to pass on.

It’s been mostly about the financial question for a long long time. Not a tech related one.

Witcher 3 on Switch should have made it clear that any ps4/one game could have had a version running on the Switch hybrid if the publisher thought the effort/costs would be a financially positive certainty.

The Wii U did not get ports of 95% of the 3rd party games released 2012-2015. Despite the fact they were ported to the ps360.

It wasn’t because the Wii U couldn’t run them, nor was it even difficult or costly to port to the Wii U. (Many articles by devs at the time saying it wasn’t)

It’s almost always because of the fact it that the title in question wouldn’t sell enough to bother. I know the excuse is always “Nintendo hardware sucks too much!” But that’s rarely the main reason publishers have avoided Nintendo machines. They often blame the hardware because they just don’t want to admit that their game can’t compete on Nintendo systems against Nintendo games in terms of sales/revenue sharing. That’s the real reason. That’s where the real decision making is decided on how much effort (if any) should be put into porting a multiplat onto a Nintendo machine.

It’s been mostly about the financial question for a long long time. Not a tech related one.

Witcher 3 on Switch should have made it clear that any ps4/one game could have had a version running on the Switch hybrid if the publisher thought the effort/costs would be a financially positive certainty.

The Wii U did not get ports of 95% of the 3rd party games released 2012-2015. Despite the fact they were ported to the ps360.

It wasn’t because the Wii U couldn’t run them, nor was it even difficult or costly to port to the Wii U. (Many articles by devs at the time saying it wasn’t)

It’s almost always because of the fact it that the title in question wouldn’t sell enough to bother. I know the excuse is always “Nintendo hardware sucks too much!” But that’s rarely the main reason publishers have avoided Nintendo machines. They often blame the hardware because they just don’t want to admit that their game can’t compete on Nintendo systems against Nintendo games in terms of sales/revenue sharing. That’s the real reason. That’s where the real decision making is decided on how much effort (if any) should be put into porting a multiplat onto a Nintendo machine.
The Witcher 3 is the perfect example of why you don't see a ton of ports of demanding PS4/XB1 games to Switch. The amount of time and effort it took to make that port was quite exceptional.

Technical reasons certainly aren't the only factor affecting ports, but it's foolish to discard them. Scaling a game down is far harder than scaling it up, and that's what third parties have mostly set themselves up for.

The Witcher 3 is the perfect example of why you don't see a ton of ports of demanding PS4/XB1 games to Switch. The amount of time and effort it took to make that port was quite exceptional.

Technical reasons certainly aren't the only factor affecting ports, but it's foolish to discard them. Scaling a game down is far harder than scaling it up, and that's what third parties have mostly set themselves up for.
The thing that isn’t talked about enough is it sold pretty well. I would like to get official numbers but I think last reported was around 700k. I think the team and publisher are happy with the game sales. Maybe bringing quality ports to a Nintendo system is worth it. 🤷🏾‍♂️

You literally responded to a post saying they didn’t want to hear how “outdated” the Switch was at launch just to say it was outdated. And your defense is that ports were difficult despite nobody arguing otherwise. If you believe the next Switch will have zero problems with ports even though it will also likely be portable, then you’re doing exactly what the poster said they didn’t want to hear anymore.
Fair enough. I'll just drop the subject.

This, pretty much. If Switch 2 is a success, there will be plenty of 3rd party support. The situation might not be perfect, but Nintendo fans will be eating very well.

And not only that, also not every 3rd party wants have their game at 540p resolution on TV,
in other words, some devs things that ports for Switch doesn't justify sacrifice they need to make.

Witcher 3 was a special case. It released on a 32 GB cart with extras. It's very likely Nintendo got involved and targeted the game.

There was/is a methodical attempt to get very specific games on Switch. Witcher 3 was a great candidate because it was touted as a next-gen showpiece and porting it over with comparable performance was a huge win.

Generally, demanding PS4/XBONE games will need work to make the leap over the Switch, and you need publisher buyin and maybe Nintendo support to make that happen.

Can someone tell me where the Q4 date came from that is in the thread title? Is that just blind hopium?

The 4chan leaker said Winter 2023 for the patch which is December 2023 to March 2024. Jeff Grubb said we may hear something this year; he never said it would release this year. So, again, no Q4 there.

Can someone tell me where the Q4 date came from that is in the thread title? Is that just blind hopium?

The 4chan leaker said Winter 2023 for the patch which is December 2023 to March 2024. Jeff Grubb said we may hear something this year; he never said it would release this year. So, again, no Q4 there.
Nintendo's FY2023 Q4 runs til March 2024.

Last edited:

This is a bizarre argument to me. The amount of effort necessary to port a game on Switch will of course scale with the ambition of the said game. Witcher 3 was ported in 9 months if I recall, which is long but expected as the Witcher 3 was particularly ambitious.

It's (almost) never a question of effort and amount of work but financial questions like "How much will this cost" and "How much can we make back from it".

;D

the porting process for switch has been fairly well documented by a number of developers. The Witcher 3, The Sinking City, and Sniper Elite had their porting process laid bare in some Nvidia talks

the porting process for switch has been fairly well documented by a number of developers. The Witcher 3, The Sinking City, and Sniper Elite had their porting process laid bare in some Nvidia talks
Yeah, is well documented and interesting to see that talks.

lol, I can't tell if you're sarcastically asking for links or not. but here they are anyway

the witcher

sniper elite 4

the sinking city

no, it wasn't sarcasm, I've seen those presentations before. They are interesting presentations

I only said that they were interesting, in case someone else was encouraged to see them and get real information about the work of a port.

In any case, it is good that you pass the links, so there will be people around here who can see them.

Y'all, another rumor of a rumor. I'm sure Jeff knows a lot of stuff, but Nintendo's schedule of announcements is the most unpredictable thing possible. We've seen last year with MPR. He knew about the game and knew it was coming soon. Hell, they could've announced it last September, would make way more sense to anyone than shadowdropping in February.

I'm still on the board of the speculation that thinks it's gonna be holiday 2024, and late summer announcement is my bet.
The thing that isn’t talked about enough is it sold pretty well. I would like to get official numbers but I think last reported was around 700k. I think the team and publisher are happy with the game sales. Maybe bringing quality ports to a Nintendo system is worth it. 🤷🏾‍♂️
IIRC it sold 700k on its first quarter reported. I'm pretty sure we had confirmation it got past 1M, no?

Witcher 3 was a special case. It released on a 32 GB cart with extras. It's very likely Nintendo got involved and targeted the game.

There was/is a methodical attempt to get very specific games on Switch. Witcher 3 was a great candidate because it was touted as a next-gen showpiece and porting it over with comparable performance was a huge win.

Generally, demanding PS4/XBONE games will need work to make the leap over the Switch, and you need publisher buyin and maybe Nintendo support to make that happen.
This. I'm pretty sure Nintendo has put some money on the Skyrim and Doom 2016 ports too. Skyrim is the more obvious one, they've put the game on the reveal trailer of the Switch, and they distributed the game in EU.

Emily has told us in the past that Nintendo funded the FIFA legacy edition for Switch at first. EA wouldn't have made this non-Shadowdrop based version otherwise. They have a whole catalogue of PS360 easy ports and they don't put any of them on Switch.

I really don't expect Switch 2 to get much more third party support than Switch is getting. Only exceptions I think will be the Capcom games, some Square games and a couple of late ports of games like Elden Ring. Anyone expecting EA, Ubisoft and Activision to increase the amount of AAA ports they make to Switch 2 are setting themselves up to disappointment.

Y'all, another rumor of a rumor. I'm sure Jeff knows a lot of stuff, but Nintendo's schedule of announcements is the most unpredictable thing possible. We've seen last year with MPR. He knew about the game and knew it was coming soon. Hell, they could've announced it last September, would make way more sense to anyone than shadowdropping in February.

I'm still on the board of the speculation that thinks it's gonna be holiday 2024, and late summer announcement is my bet.

IIRC it sold 700k on its first quarter reported. I'm pretty sure we had confirmation it got past 1M, no?
Maybe. I wanted to be cautious with the numbers. I gave the confirmed amount I knew of. Didn’t need people attacking me here.

Maybe. I wanted to be cautious with the numbers. I gave the confirmed amount I knew of. Didn’t need people attacking me here.
Wait, the way I worded it sounded rude???
I'm really sorry, I'm not a native speaker of English.
I really didn't mean to sound harsh or anything. Nor was I really attacking or dismissing you, I was validating your point that the game sold really well on the Switch actually.
I'm really sorry :(

Edit: and the part of the post before the quote wasn't aimed at you, I was just avoid double posting(that I ended up doing anyways lol) so I wrote my little rant about the rumors on past pages and then quoted you, by I was agreeing with you actually, 700k is already very good and that's the number reported indeed, I just remember people calling 1.5m or something.

The thing about what Jeff said is that he wasn't really saying anything. People just reading too much into it(what else is new). He said what he heard, which he then followed up by saying he doesn't believe it (because I don't think he cares to verify it), and then a prediction that it gets announced this year with a release of early next year. Again it's a nothingburger.

I really don't expect Switch 2 to get much more third party support than Switch is getting. Only exceptions I think will be the Capcom games, some Square games and a couple of late ports of games like Elden Ring. Anyone expecting EA, Ubisoft and Activision to increase the amount of AAA ports they make to Switch 2 are setting themselves up to disappointment.
I agree. Most of Switch's 3rd party support comes from Japan and I don't expect that to change.

Will there be MORE support from Japan? Probably. You might also get some late AC ports. But beyond that, the status quo will remain the same.

In terms of Western support, I can see Activision bringing Crash, Spyro, Diablo, Call of Duty (because of their 10 year deal) and Ubisoft bringing Rayman, Prince of Persia, Immortals, and AC. And indie support will continue to be stellar.

I'll be shocked if it gets anything more than that.

The thing about what Jeff said is that he wasn't really saying anything. People just reading too much into it(what else is new). He said what he heard, which he then followed up by saying he doesn't believe it (because I don't think he cares to verify it), and then a prediction that it gets announced this year with a release of early next year. Again it's a nothingburger.
Oh, so it's even worse than I was expecting lol. But yeah, even major sites are reporting on it...
I agree. Most of Switch's 3rd party support comes from Japan and I don't expect that to change.

Will there be MORE support from Japan? Probably. You might also get some late AC ports. But beyond that, the status quo will remain the same.
Yeah, I think it'll be more or less the same we have right now. Instead of all FF and RE but the modern games, we'll get those too, and that's about it. Some other late ports, this time of late gen/cross gen games. PS5/XBS games will be the miracle ports, not the usual releases.

Oh, so it's even worse than I was expecting lol. But yeah, even major sites are reporting on it...

Yeah, I think it'll be more or less the same we have right now. Instead of all FF and RE but the modern games, we'll get those too, and that's about it. Some other late ports, this time of late gen/cross gen games. PS5/XBS games will be the miracle ports, not the usual releases.
I think Switch 2 will get RE, but not FF. Sony has FF on lockdown. Capcom tried to bring its RE Engine games to Switch, but couldn't.

I mean more Final Fantasy XV and FF VII Remake I late ports(has its exclusivity deal vanished yet?). Yeah, FF XVI and Remake II ain't happening.
When it comes to S-E, I would expect them to bring everything except mainline FF, tri-Ace*, and more Western-leaning IP like Forspoken. And presumably Kingdom Heart, if S-E decides to keep that Cloud-only (hopefully they bring it natively).

*Although I think Star Ocean 6 could show up. A remaster of Second Evolution would probably make its way over too.

In terms of Western support, I can see Activision bringing Crash, Spyro, Diablo, Call of Duty (because of their 10 year deal) and Ubisoft bringing Rayman, Prince of Persia, Immortals, and AC. And indie support will continue to be stellar.

I'll be shocked if it gets anything more than that.
I'd say Diablo 4 and Assassin's Creed Mirage are locks. And absolutely everything from Embracer. From EA, I can see Jedi Survivor, Panic Button is really close to Respawn, they've already brought Apex to Switch together.

I'd say Diablo 4 and Assassin's Creed Mirage are locks. And absolutely everything from Embracer. From EA, I can see Jedi Survivor, Panic Button is really close to Respawn, they've already brought Apex to Switch together.
I could see Mortal Kombat 12 coming also.

I might be getting a Steam Deck soon so I will be a little peeved if Nintendo announces the Switch 2 for this year lmao

I guess it's arbitrary, November 2023 or March 2024 isn't really much of a difference

It’s going to be hilarious if we get Switch 2 and GTA 6 reveals at around the same time, mirroring Switch and RDR2 in 2016.

Wait, the way I worded it sounded rude???
I'm really sorry, I'm not a native speaker of English.
I really didn't mean to sound harsh or anything. Nor was I really attacking or dismissing you, I was validating your point that the game sold really well on the Switch actually.
I'm really sorry :(

Edit: and the part of the post before the quote wasn't aimed at you, I was just avoid double posting(that I ended up doing anyways lol) so I wrote my little rant about the rumors on past pages and then quoted you, by I was agreeing with you actually, 700k is already very good and that's the number reported indeed, I just remember people calling 1.5m or something.

No I wasn’t referring to you at all.

From the articles I read, it took a relatively small team about 1 year to port it to the Switch

How is that “exceptional”?

Maybe I missed the sources you are referring to that show it was an unusually lengthy and costly process?

And not only that, also not every 3rd party wants have their game at 540p resolution on TV,
in other words, some devs things that ports for Switch doesn't justify sacrifice they need to make.

Eh, it was 720p on the tv but that’s not the point.

The whole point of porting a multiplat game to the Switch would be portability and playing on the 720p screen anyways. That’s the draw. That’s the appeal.

Anyone who needs a major multiplat looking and running fantastic on their tv would have chosen to play Witcher 3…and games like it…on their Pc. Or their Series X. Or their ps5. Or their Series S. Or their Xbox One X. Or their ps4 pro. Or their Xbox one. Or their ps4.

This is always why most publishers end up not porting their games to Nitnendo machines. The appeal/demand is elsewhere. Not worth the trouble.

Even if the Nintendo machine had Series S type power, this equation wouldn’t change.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much anyone cares/if this affects anyone's opinion regarding the 4chan Pokémon leak, but Riddler Khu, an account that has some notoriety for being an accurate Pokémon leak, has vouched for the part about new forms in the 4chan post addendum, though they have no comment on the other aspects of the rumor.

When it comes to S-E, I would expect them to bring everything except mainline FF, tri-Ace*, and more Western-leaning IP like Forspoken. And presumably Kingdom Heart, if S-E decides to keep that Cloud-only (hopefully they bring it natively).

*Although I think Star Ocean 6 could show up. A remaster of Second Evolution would probably make its way over too.

I expect publishers like Square Enix and Ubisoft to cloud stream their games to the new upgrade model just like they have with the current ones.

It’s just easier. Less time commitment and risk.

But yea, I’ll iterate the new model won’t see any different support than the current models have gotten in terms of quantity/quality/type of game.

The COD commitment will bring COD to the current models as well, so it won’t add “more” or anything like that lol

I doubt we will see many publishers porting their multiplats to JUST the new model, and ignore the much wider userbase older model users.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much anyone cares/if this affects anyone's opinion regarding the 4chan Pokémon leak, but Riddler Khu, an account that has some notoriety for being an accurate Pokémon leak, has vouched for the part about new forms in the 4chan post addendum, though they have no comment on the other aspects of the rumor.

it still doesn't prove that the hardware stuff was added on or not

From the articles I read, it took a relatively small team about 1 year to port it to the Switch

How is that “exceptional”?

Maybe I missed the sources you are referring to that show it was an unusually lengthy and costly process?
It's probably not too atypical for a lot of these big PS4/XB1 -> Switch downports, but that's sort of the point. Taking a game and trying to run it on substantially weaker hardware than it was designed for is a whole lot harder than the other way around.

I expect publishers like Square Enix and Ubisoft to cloud stream their games to the new upgrade model just like they have with the current ones.

It’s just easier. Less time commitment and risk.

But yea, I’ll iterate the new model won’t see any different support than the current models have gotten in terms of quantity/quality/type of game.

The COD commitment will bring COD to the current models as well, so it won’t add “more” or anything like that lol

I doubt we will see many publishers porting their multiplats to JUST the new model, and ignore the much wider userbase older model users.
I can't see either publisher kneecapping their own sales like that/pissing off their fanbase for the sake of convenience. I agree with the rest, though.

Eh, it was 720p on the tv but that’s not the point.

The whole point of porting a multiplat game to the Switch would be portability and playing on the 720p screen anyways. That’s the draw. That’s the appeal.

Anyone who needs a major multiplat looking and running fantastic on their tv would have chosen to play Witcher 3…and games like it…on their Pc. Or their Series X. Or their ps5. Or their Series S. Or their Xbox One X. Or their ps4 pro. Or their Xbox one. Or their ps4.

This is always why most publishers end up not porting their games to Nitnendo machines. The appeal/demand is elsewhere. Not worth the trouble.

Even if the Nintendo machine had Series S type power, this equation wouldn’t change.

Actually you have plenty of big 3rd party games running below 720p on TV. Even Witcher 3 runs below 720p in TV mode, games in TV mode runs at dynamic 720p, that means max resolution is 1280x720 but goes low as 896x504.

But that's a point game doesn't run on 720p even on TV, on handheld mode for instance Witcher 3 runs at 540p.
And we talking about one of best and most optimised 3rd party games on Switch that requires huge effort, and not every 3rd party want to invest thats kind a effort for results that will not be satisfied (releasing games in in 2023/2024 that will be runing even below 540p).

I agree that Nintendo would not have all 3rd party games like Sony even if releasing same hardware like Sony, but you are completly wrong that stronger hardware doesnt means more big 3rd party games compared to current Switch models.
Its a fact that current Switch wouldn't run every 3rd party game, same as that plenty of 3rd parties are not willing to make huge effort and in same time "cripple" their game (540p resolution) in order to run on Switch.

There is also and matter of limiting factors of size of Switch cartridges, bigger game is required bigger cartridge that costs more to developer,
but luckily Switch 2 cartridges will be bigger.

Thats why, Switch 2 will have some 3rd party exclusive from day one that will not be released for current Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom