• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Predictions New mockup for Switch 2 has been made

lemonfresh

#Team2024
Pronouns
He/Him
Saw this in the hardware thread its such a well done mockup for nintendos next console what do you guys think of it?

F01JtfdWIAECH3k

Close ups
fakeleakprobably.jpg

Im actually in love with this. I really hope the next console has a radical redesign if they are just gunna recycle the whole concept of the switch again

The console looks fine, the Joycons look like they would slide out of your hands way too easy.

Also "saw this from the hardware thread" can we get a source please?

The Joycons just look confusing. I can't quite tell what I'm seeing when I look at them. The rest of it is just eh.

The art is impressive but the design is absolutely not. A for effort though, I guess.

Last edited:
Kudos to the artist for designing a more uncomfortable looking JoyCon than the current one.

The only design choice I dislike more than glossy finishes (e.g. Wii) is intentional areas where dirt and debris can get caught and/or wedged. Simple lines and shapes, y’all. No need to reinvent the wheel just be different.

Why are the joycons like that? I can’t figure out if they have some extra functionality
I think the idea is that the controls can slide up and down within the grip to accommodate different hand sizes/preferred joystick positions.

I definitely prefer the Switch's flat edges at the sliding parts. While this looks nicer with the Joy-Cons off, I don't look at the Switch in that configuration very often, so it's not worth how weird it looks with them attached to me.

I like the UI on the screen and the dock, but those joycons are rough, especially when attached to the system.

Not sure why everybody is so down on the joycons. They are obviously going for a design that accommodates a bigger screen and is still backwards compatible with the joycons you already own. I think it is a neat idea personally. Also is solves the silly issue some people had about the joycons being too small.

I like the rounded screen, but the joycons are weird and that dock is too unstable. One bump or cord being slightly tugged and you're looking at a cracked screen.

It looks ugly to me. Maybe it's just me, but the original switch with the joycons attached looks like a GBA or DS, a single piece of hardware, not like a modular console. This looks like a screen with two controllers attached to the sides like the controllers you would add to a mobile phone, not like a handheld console.

Also I think one of the points of the actual dock is that, aside of protecting the screen, while docked it looks like a TV console, which helps with the concept "a tv console which is also portable" and not a handheld console which can be played on tv like, for example the PSP. That dock looks unstable and against this idea.

We need to have in mind that this is a console which is going to be played by a lot of kids. This design doesn't look very kids friendly.

I believe that the new left joycon will have a proper d-pad this time.
I think Nintendo has abandoned the idea of using a single joycon as a controller, so there's no reason to have buttons again.

the tablet with rounded edges does look better, but when you add the joy con it really just looks fucking weird.

Still, that menu looks awesome, much better than the trash we have.

My opinion, I'm actually like it. Still not understand how Joycon attachment work although there is a rail path beside the tablet. Joystick & buttons part can be slide up & down (is this a new gimmick in Switch 2 ?) & I think it's replaceable (imagine what colors combination we will have). Tablet itself is so well done & it's beautiful in my eyes. + & - button integrated into a small button below the left new Joycon, so need only 1 button to do tasks as per before

I hate the trend of handheld consoles just getting bigger.
Switch is already too big for me, but Steam Deck and contemporaries make it look tiny.

This looks well designed but also bigger than Switch again and also not very ergonomic.
I guess the joycons have that slide to adjust the stick position for tabletop multiplayer?

That looks terrible in portable mode, like a tablet with accessories. What I like about the switch product design is the way, when the joycons are attached, it looks like one device that’s meant to be that way rather than a tablet with two sidecars. Not convinced about the joystick positions being able to move either, seems to introduce more problems than it solves- the joycons have enough to go wrong with them already without packing even more mechanical bobbins into them and more places for dirt to get in. It also looks bigger for no good reason, which again makes it worse as a portable.

It’s a nice piece of design work in the quality of mockup artwork itself, but as a physical product design, were this hypothetical device ever released, it just has me asking ‘why’. As almost everything about it looks worse than the Switch, presumably out of a desire to find some differentiating factor to sell as a hypothetical USP. Movable joysticks just isn’t it.

Last edited:
Without even getting into the terrible dock and whatever the hell is going on with those Joy-Con, I don’t understand how someone can go through all the effort to make an elaborate mock-up like this with the intention of it looking real, only to get some obvious details wrong that would be super easy to check and avoid. Like, “The Legend Of Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom”—“of” and “the” shouldn’t be capitalized here and aren’t on the official title.

Also, while it’s neat how the foreground elements and logo pop out of a game’s icon when selected on the HOME Menu, there’s no way this would actually be a thing, at least not with old games, because they’d have to go back and manually make new special icons like this for every game, though that’s less of a mistake and more of an impractical change that would never happen I guess.

I believe that the new left joycon will have a proper d-pad this time.
I think Nintendo has abandoned the idea of using a single joycon as a controller, so there's no reason to have buttons again.
What makes you think this?? Nintendo still ensures that most of their games support single Joy-Con controls for multiplayer, including the upcoming Pikmin 4. There’s absolutely no reason to believe Nintendo has abandoned that concept.

Whatever the successor is, I believe Nintendo will make it visually distinct from the Switch in a notable way. We say what happened with the Wii U “is this an add on?” confusion. You won’t be able to mistake Switch and Switch 2 on shelves.

Whatever the successor is, I believe Nintendo will make it visually distinct from the Switch in a notable way. We say what happened with the Wii U “is this an add on?” confusion. You won’t be able to mistake Switch and Switch 2 on shelves.
Every Switch 2 will come with burnt pixels in the center of the screen that spell "Switch 2"

I don't understand the joycons. Are they supposed to be taken out of the shell?

Can’t say I like it much but I’m so happy we’re in the fanmade mock-up era of speculation. Always the most fun part of the lead up to any Nintendo system for me.

wow

i hate it

that simply will not be what it looks like

The only thing I really like about is the nearly non existant bezell on the screen. Also the dock is kind of a cool idea but pretty impractical, imho.

Back
Top Bottom