• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Monster Hunter Wilds announced for 2025, coming to consoles and PC

As someone who only got into the series with World and Rise, what are we expecting for this gen? Is Wild likely to be the World - a bigger flagship game - that will be accompanied by a more actionised, streamlined game (Rise) down the line? Is there a pattern for this or do we just have no idea what Capcom will do?

As someone who only got into the series with World and Rise, what are we expecting for this gen? Is Wild likely to be the World - a bigger flagship game - that will be accompanied by a more actionised, streamlined game (Rise) down the line? Is there a pattern for this or do we just have no idea what Capcom will do?
World/Rise was continuing the pattern of "console game/handheld game". but that line was extremely blurred thanks to hardware. at this point, we don't really know what they'll do since there's no more line between console and handheld. making a "handheld" game would cost as much as World did with Wilds being even more expensive. it'd be cheaper to port Wilds to Switch 2 for similar results

World/Rise was continuing the pattern of "console game/handheld game". but that line was extremely blurred thanks to hardware. at this point, we don't really know what they'll do since there's no more line between console and handheld. making a "handheld" game would cost as much as World did with Wilds being even more expensive. it'd be cheaper to port Wilds to Switch 2 for similar results
In the end, I still think there's merit for having the two different "styles" of games. Wilds is, more than likely, going to continue where World/Iceborne left off in continuing the vision of console MH as a faux-MMO, which stems all the way back to the first few MH games on Playstation 2, and Tri on Wii. Ichinose's group, on the other hand, still prefers MH as a more "arcadey" game that's perfect for playing in bursts and while on the go.

I'm hoping the Switch's successor can be privy to both games, much like PS and Xbox will inevitably be. But it doesn't take much to see that one style of game definitely benefits one side of the aisle more than the other. And Capcom, meanwhile, gets to have their cake and eat it, too.

In the end, I still think there's merit for having the two different "styles" of games. Wilds is, more than likely, going to continue where World/Iceborne left off in continuing the vision of console MH as a faux-MMO, which stems all the way back to the first few MH games on Playstation 2, and Tri on Wii. Ichinose's group, on the other hand, still prefers MH as a more "arcadey" game that's perfect for playing in bursts and while on the go.

I'm hoping the Switch's successor can be privy to both games, much like PS and Xbox will inevitably be. But it doesn't take much to see that one style of game definitely benefits one side of the aisle more than the other. And Capcom, meanwhile, gets to have their cake and eat it, too.
my problem with this is available bandwidth. Wilds is gonna take so much personnel that it could eat into Ichinose's team. so then you have to ask where are they gonna get staff to make a separate game, which would also need a massive staff count. it's an inevitable conclusion that two lines would be difficult to sustain

I honestly expect the handheld/console split to be gone this generation. Even if they make a smaller scale game on the side I feel it'll just come to all platforms anyways.

Holy shit

Reported. I think personal attacks are against the board guidelines. smh
I really like World's music, I think it adds a ton of character to the monsters that have unique themes especially.

The emphasis on the drums in Teostra's theme really invokes this feeling that you're fighting this majestic monster that's meant to be an emperor, Tigrex/Jho (especially Tigrex) really make me feel like I'm fighting some strong, imposing kaiju motherfuckers, Bazelgeuse's theme (which is considerably worse in Rise to me) pretty much fits the design they were going with perfectly, Nargacuga is super nostalgic (it has bits of Pokke village's theme in there even!), Namielle's theme is super fitting for this deep sea, jellyfish weirdo Elder Dragon.

I love Vaal Hazak's theme, this bit especially:

Really good soundtrack IMO, I have no idea if it's well liked or anything but for me they really nailed it, Rise's in comparison felt pretty flat and not as complex but then they tried to compensate for that by slapping vocals on everything which is a trend I don't really like that much, not a fan of that in a lot of more recent Souls games either.

That being said Rise still has some real bangers, especially the neutral area battle themes (Sandy Plains one owns, so does Ancient Ruins), Espinas's theme is super fun too.

Last edited:
slapping vocals on everything which is a trend I don't really like that much, not a fan of that in a lot of more recent Souls games either.
Yeah, I guess this is where we value these things very differently. I love the tracks with vocals in Rise (and Souls games, fwiw), I think they add a lot of character to the songs and help make them sound more ... complete / even grander / more epic, I guess? Hard to describe, but it certainly elevates these OSTs for me.
That's not to say that World's (or prior MH's) OST were bad, very far from it (and World's is strong, too! The Bazelgeuse theme is just chef's kiss in World -- and yeah, I also found it to be slightly less impactful in Rise, though I haven't really thought too deeply about why that is).

While everyone else will have monster hunter wilds Switch 2 will in a few years get monster hunter rise 2 instead.

I'll be honest, the public discourse for the graphics in this game is really bothering me. "Other games in series look better, Switch 2 holding it back", etc... Like so what? Maybe the Switch should be holding it back. Maybe huge budgets and crunch are what's hurting the gaming industry. I think about that Sonic meme where they want worse graphics made by people who are paid more and work less. I agree, and as long as the game is fun and not completely broken, then that's enough for me.

Man, I wish I could get into MH. It's looks so much like something I would love, but I just don't understand how I'm supposed to play it and the games do a terrible job in explaining.
I gotchu.

Take the name of the game at face value, it's a game where you hunt monsters. Basically you have these big monsters that you fight until they're dead, or until they're weak enough to capture. You and a group of people (or you can go solo but that's less fun) track down the monster and start attacking it. Each monster has their own unique attack patters with weakness and strengths. Like there might be a fire monster and if you have water type weapons/armor you'll do good against it. After doing X amount of damage to the monster, it will hobble away, then you attack some more, it will hobble away again, then at some point it will die (if not weak enough to capture). The hobble thing confused me the first time I played because I was like what's going on? Why can't I beat it?

Also the gameplay loop is to get enough materials to upgrade your weapons and armor so you can then do better against future monsters. These materials have a drop rate so you might have to re-do fights to get what you want and enough of what you want.

Hope that helps.

While everyone else will have monster hunter wilds Switch 2 will in a few years get monster hunter rise 2 instead.
the adjacent MH series (the portable series) aren't lesser games. I'll take Rise 2 and be equally as hyped.

my problem with this is available bandwidth. Wilds is gonna take so much personnel that it could eat into Ichinose's team. so then you have to ask where are they gonna get staff to make a separate game, which would also need a massive staff count. it's an inevitable conclusion that two lines would be difficult to sustain
There's really no separate MH "teams" any more, though. At this point, it's just one big force that has different leads assigned to different projects, and the various workers going around to different projects at different times, for what's (usually) a yearly franchise.

For example, take Daichi Matsumoto. He was most recently the Lead Player Designer on Sunbreak, but before that, he was a Game Designer on Iceborne, and before that, a Game Designer on Monster Hunter Generations. So you got somebody who's worked on both styles of games, as well as having said he was on a base game and two expansions. That's more in line with what the MH workforce is doing nowadays.

Besides, Ichinose likely isn't going to be just twiddling his thumbs while it's Tsujimoto and Tokuda's turn to have fun. When it's his turn again, he'll be back.

I'll be honest, the public discourse for the graphics in this game is really bothering me. "Other games in series look better, Switch 2 holding it back", etc... Like so what? Maybe the Switch should be holding it back. Maybe huge budgets and crunch are what's hurting the gaming industry. I think about that Sonic meme where they want worse graphics made by people who are paid more and work less. I agree, and as long as the game is fun and not completely broken, then that's enough for me.
You're right, but I think it's fine for people to expect more of a leap. A lot of people have been waiting since World, which isn't exactly a short time. Also I think it needs repeating that a game having better graphics doesn't mean it had crunch, it could simply be a long development time or scope. Huge budgets aren't really what's killing the games industry either, so much as GaaS bubble and over hiring during COVID.

I gotchu.

Take the name of the game at face value, it's a game where you hunt monsters. Basically you have these big monsters that you fight until they're dead, or until they're weak enough to capture. You and a group of people (or you can go solo but that's less fun) track down the monster and start attacking it. Each monster has their own unique attack patters with weakness and strengths. Like there might be a fire monster and if you have water type weapons/armor you'll do good against it. After doing X amount of damage to the monster, it will hobble away, then you attack some more, it will hobble away again, then at some point it will die (if not weak enough to capture). The hobble thing confused me the first time I played because I was like what's going on? Why can't I beat it?

Also the gameplay loop is to get enough materials to upgrade your weapons and armor so you can then do better against future monsters. These materials have a drop rate so you might have to re-do fights to get what you want and enough of what you want.

Hope that helps.
You probably didn't intend it this way, but this reads really condescendingly lol. Like I'm pretty sure they're not hung up on the literal concept of the game, but rather the obtuse mechanics

You're right, but I think it's fine for people to expect more of a leap. A lot of people have been waiting since World, which isn't exactly a short time. Also I think it needs repeating that a game having better graphics doesn't mean it had crunch, it could simply be a long development time or scope. Huge budgets aren't really what's killing the games industry either, so much as GaaS bubble and over hiring during COVID.
I see what you're saying, but it still irks me, especially the Switch slander.
You probably didn't intend it this way, but this reads really condescendingly lol. Like I'm pretty sure they're not hung up on the literal concept of the game, but rather the obtuse mechanics
Oh oops didn't mean to be condescending. Apologies! I know the game was confusing for me at first as well.

Thinking about the release date some more, I can at least plan my potential hardware upgrade around the timeframe of Wilds releasing, lol. Be it another / a new handheld PC or a proper PC upgrade. :unsure:

The game doesn't even look bad, I really don't know what people are seeing.
just-ugly-as-sin-sungwon-cho.gif

I always wanted to like MH games but every single time I feel bad for killing the monsters and how everything seems a bit cruel.
"Canonically", Hunters only go after monsters for the most strict of reasons at behest the Hunter's Guild, which usually is because of a monster being a threat of some sort. This could range from invasive species that needs numbers culled to full on ecosystem-threatening kaiju.

At best, you're giving them a warrior's respect (and death). Or you can trap non-Elder Dragons so that they can be studied for science.

Seeing as how Rise only somewhat recently got it's final content update, I have a feeling that team is probably early in production of their own game aiming for the Nintendo platform again while the World team has been working on this since 2020. My gut says we're in for the same pattern of releases, and it's only not as visually impressive as World's first reveal because their aim is probably on wide environments with a ton of dynamic systems and high volume of living creatures, where as World was all about density, also this was more of a "teaser" of a game much further from being finished than World was at its reveal, there wasn't even a prominently featured monster? Just six or so what is assumedly a desert variant of Goss Harog jumbled together in the background? And the hunter never even takes their weapon out??

Those flying birb mounts look cool but disappointed that it means palamutes probably aren't coming back...
Just really hoping crossplay makes it in this time since I'm on pc and all my old monster hunting buddies are on playstation.

Over the weekend I finally bought Iceborn on PS5 while it was on sale for $15. I was a day one player of MHW, but I never went back to Iceborne because MHGU released on Switch at that point.

I really really hope MH6 builds upon Monster Hunter Rise rather than MHW. Despite MHW having a much better presentation and technical prowess, the playability and feel of MHR is on a whole other level compared to it. I really would hate to see MH6 take a step back in this regard.

Over the weekend I finally bought Iceborn on PS5 while it was on sale for $15. I was a day one player of MHW, but I never went back to Iceborne because MHGU released on Switch at that point.

I really really hope MH6 builds upon Monster Hunter Rise rather than MHW. Despite MHW having a much better presentation and technical prowess, the playability and feel of MHR is on a whole other level compared to it. I really would hate to see MH6 take a step back in this regard.
I'd expect some things from Rise to make it (like how the "Great Buddi/Palociraptor" is clearly the next phase for a mount), but otherwise, it'd makes more sense to expect Tokuda to continue onward from where World/IB left off.

The main thing is just hoping that the time away was enough to really improve on certain things like the Slinger and Scoutflies, as well as continuing to improve on weapon movesets. Also, after all this time, I'm expecting at least 1-2 new weapons!

The only MH game I got way into was 4U, and I don’t know enough about the series to know why that is lol. What more modern entry would be best for me, do you think?
I'd say you can't really go wrong with either!

But I guess since 4U was your most recent entrant, I guess we can lead off with that as a frame of reference. If you overall enjoyed the way 4U did some things when it came to...

a) the "pick up and play" aspect
b) the roster of monsters having a lot of great variety
c) how cool the weapons looked
d) how story and lore unfolded
e) cast of quirky chars

Then chances are, Rise will be more your speed

The only MH game I got way into was 4U, and I don’t know enough about the series to know why that is lol. What more modern entry would be best for me, do you think?

You can't really go wrong with either World/Iceborn or Rise/Sunbreak. Both have similar quality of life changes. Both games are also played still. I think World is def more popular on PC and such whereas the Switch has a healthy playerbase with Rise.

Personally I like Rise more due to the diversity in armor and weapons, but honestly both games are masterpieces in the franchise.

As long as you get World + Iceborne or Rise + Sunbreak you will be good. I can't recommend purely base games anymore. Also feel free to DM for any help you need in either.

Looks like Wilds is going to be a successor to Monster Hunter World given Capcom keeps pushing World in these social posts.

The more and more I think about this the more and more I get hyped. I wish they hadn't announced it so early lol, before Rise came out I literally couldn't play games for like the first month and a half before release because I was so hyped.

More and more, I'm just thinking bigger zones.

MH being the game it is, it just makes sense to still operate with "zones" in mind.
I hope you're right. I think what makes Monster Hunter special is the "simulated reality" of these highly detailed spaces. When you make it open world like that, you leave it up to being less handcrafted.

I like Rise way more so I'm biased. However, I will say for beginners a lot of people seem to prefer World, so it's up to you. World obviously has the advantage of being on PC, while Rise has the advantage of being on Switch, so to some extent it comes down to what platform you prefer to play on as well. World is maybe more "immersive" (though the map pickups actually made me more immersed in Rise) with better graphics, whereas Rise is more of a complex action game.

But so is Rise?
I meant World has the advantage of being relevant on PC :cippa:

I was thinking of the games in terms of what "advantages" they have. Rise being portable is a huge advantage, but it doesn't have nearly the same level of advantage that World does from its PC port, because World is way more popular on PC and also looks way better. Which is funny because the port is apparently worse out of the box, or at least was at launch. Both are pretty popular on PC, so obviously you can't really go wrong.

I meant World has the advantage of being relevant on PC :cippa:

I was thinking of the games in terms of what "advantages" they have. Rise being portable is a huge advantage, but it doesn't have nearly the same level of advantage that World does from its PC port, because World is way more popular on PC and also looks way better. Which is funny because the port is apparently worse out of the box, or at least was at launch. Both are pretty popular on PC, so obviously you can't really go wrong.
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, World's PC port still is a bit wonky, adding Stracker's loader mod and the performance enhancer mod from NexusMods is basically still the way to go. Rise obviously is less impressive presentation wise, but the tech is great and it's really well optimised overall.
I think I remember the Anti Aliasing being broken in some way, tho. Not sure they ever fixed that?!

But yeah, World -> PC and Rise -> Switch certainly makes a lot of sense if one has the choice there.

I hope you're right. I think what makes Monster Hunter special is the "simulated reality" of these highly detailed spaces. When you make it open world like that, you leave it up to being less handcrafted.
It's a bit of that. But I just think, in general, MH works the way it does because fights with the monster(s) are a delicate dance of the player(s) and their opposition. The parties can throw down in the chosen arena, and then, when either party wants to dip to change the venue for whatever reason (ex. monster wants to go to a place where it can refuel, or where it perhaps has an advantage, or the human just wants to temporarily retreat to sharpen/reload/craft and heal), they can do so.

You would be in danger of losing that, in my opinion, if it's just a big open space where there aren't any moments of brevity for either party. Or de-emphasizes the "chase", because now the areas are so large that you could really lose your quarry.

I will say this, however. One thing I missed from the "loading zone area" era of MH (basically, pre-World) is that the maps could have such a wide variety. You could be in a forest clearing, and then dip over to a poison bog area, while the middle area is a dense wetland/jungle back in 4U. If Wilds being much more "open zone" is a reason to bring that aspect back? Then by all means!

Thank you to everyone who chimed in to take me to Monster Hunter school a little. Indeed, both World and Rise looked great and it was tough to pick one. Ultimately I went with Rise + Sunbreak on Series S, which seems like a great port. 1440p and 60FPS, Jerry! Any advice would be more than welcome, especially RE: tips for solo play. I know these games are great online but likely I'll be playing a bunch solo. I used Dual Blades in 4U because I liked the speed but would like to try something new this time.

all this talk of Rise and Sunbreak makes me wish Capcom implemented a proper cross progression/crossplay system for those games so I could just buy it on Steam (with Sunbreak) and continue the progress I made on Switch.

Here is hoping Wilds makes Capcom finally have proper 2023 online infrastructure where your progress is carried through your capcom account or something rather than being a per system affair (though I'm a bit doubtful).

Thank you to everyone who chimed in to take me to Monster Hunter school a little. Indeed, both World and Rise looked great and it was tough to pick one. Ultimately I went with Rise + Sunbreak on Series S, which seems like a great port. 1440p and 60FPS, Jerry! Any advice would be more than welcome, especially RE: tips for solo play. I know these games are great online but likely I'll be playing a bunch solo. I used Dual Blades in 4U because I liked the speed but would like to try something new this time.
Especially early on, I would just do more to experiment! That's what the Portable-style games are all about, and the silkbind system allows you to tailor weapons to your liking. Even Dual Blades will feel quiet different!

It doesn't look bad but it doesn't look much better than World, if at all. Having seen what Capcom have done with their other games I wanted a much, much bigger leap in visuals.
World at that scale is impressive no? Like are people thinking these areas are the same size, not bigger? Like huge maps, tons of monsters roaming around. You have to take cuts somewhere, and Monster Hunter World looks fucking great.

WIQ975YGhAscxlZ3W-X5hK6nD4EatVbzYL0pq2hpgJQ.jpg

all this talk of Rise and Sunbreak makes me wish Capcom implemented a proper cross progression/crossplay system for those games so I could just buy it on Steam (with Sunbreak) and continue the progress I made on Switch.

Here is hoping Wilds makes Capcom finally have proper 2023 online infrastructure where your progress is carried through your capcom account or something rather than being a per system affair (though I'm a bit doubtful).
I think crossplay is possible, just looking at a recent release like SF6. But if the online search tools aren't failing me, it doesn't seem like there is cross progression there?
Which is a bit surprising to me, honestly. And doesn't make me hopeful for MH cross progression either!

I think crossplay is possible, just looking at a recent release like SF6. But if the online search tools aren't failing me, it doesn't seem like there is cross progression there?
Which is a bit surprising to me, honestly. And doesn't make me hopeful for MH cross progression either!
Yeah, when queried, Capcom basically all but made it clear that one of the biggest things they've "heard us" about was cross-play. So, I'm expecting that. Helps that they've been really pushing them Capcom IDs, too. You couldn't even try that recent "favorite monster" poll they were running on social media without registering!

Cross-progression is definitely going to be the harder ask, though. After all, why would any of the big three willingly sign off anything that allows a player to leave their ecosystem, as they wish?

Yeah, when queried, Capcom basically all but made it clear that one of the biggest things they've "heard us" about was cross-play. So, I'm expecting that. Helps that they've been really pushing them Capcom IDs, too. You couldn't even try that recent "favorite monster" poll they were running on social media without registering!

Cross-progression is definitely going to be the harder ask, though. After all, why would any of the big three willingly sign off anything that allows a player to leave their ecosystem, as they wish?

They didn't bother doing cross progression in Exoprimal or SF6 either. I don't expect it in Wilds. Cross play I do expect, and hopefully no region lock online (PC has region locked online based on download region on Rise/World), would be good.

9rmweqx9gn191.jpg

As long as you don't play weeb sword, in which case:

500px-Seinfeld318-pistol2.jpg

in which case:
a3oGxoh.jpg

Thankfully the long sword doesn't interest me and I can avoid a dirt nap...for now.
Especially early on, I would just do more to experiment! That's what the Portable-style games are all about, and the silkbind system allows you to tailor weapons to your liking. Even Dual Blades will feel quiet different!
This sounds interesting! And was a good reminder that maybe I should find a guide to pull up on my phone or something while I'm getting up to speed 😅

a3oGxoh.jpg

Thankfully the long sword doesn't interest me and I can avoid a dirt nap...for now.

This sounds interesting! And was a good reminder that maybe I should find a guide to pull up on my phone or something while I'm getting up to speed 😅

This might be useful -

Been playing through World on the PS5 because I never actually played Iceborne, and I was dreading getting to Nergigante because as a scrub playing MH for the first time he kicked my ass so hard. But this time round I didn't even cart and, even with the Defender equips skewing things in my favour, it feels like I really have improved. Now I'm only mostly bad at the game.

World at that scale is impressive no? Like are people thinking these areas are the same size, not bigger? Like huge maps, tons of monsters roaming around. You have to take cuts somewhere, and Monster Hunter World looks fucking great.

WIQ975YGhAscxlZ3W-X5hK6nD4EatVbzYL0pq2hpgJQ.jpg
I don't want a bigger scale though, or more monsters. I'd rather just have better visuals.

Back
Top Bottom