• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Midori tweets teaser for new Nintendo game, “SPRed”

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand the hostility. I've seen speculation on even less. Sure it's not a huge surprise that a new Mario game is in the works (if that is what this is), but it is interesting that it is seemingly confirmed. I feel the same way hearing that a new Nintendo console is being worked on, even though I know they start designing soon after the current one is released.
That's fair. My only "hey gang, let's cool it a bit" thought is I believe Midori's Nintendo track record is unproven so we should be cautious. I've seen comments around the internet where people are taking these new code names as evidence to elevate Midori's reputation and status as a leaker when I don't think we can treat them as evidence of anything yet.

That said, even if we aren't cautious...no real harm is done. A new Mario game is coming. The other code names just tell us Nintendo is making games because no significant other details were provided (as far as I saw). So even if all of these end up being fake, I doubt any disappointment regarding Nintendo's real software output caused by these posts could possibly follow.

That's fair. My only "hey gang, let's cool it a bit" thought is I believe Midori's Nintendo track record is unproven so we should be cautious. I've seen comments around the internet where people are taking these new code names as evidence to elevate Midori's reputation and status as a leaker when I don't think we can treat them as evidence of anything yet.

That said, even if we aren't cautious...no real harm is done. A new Mario game is coming. The other code names just tell us Nintendo is making games because no significant other details were provided (as far as I saw). So even if all of these end up being fake, I doubt any disappointment regarding Nintendo's real software output caused by these posts could possibly follow.
Unproven? Doesn't she have an established reputation already? She's classified as Tier 1 Reliable at /r/gamingleaksandrumors

However if you're referring to the recent spate of codenames being shared (which isn't Midori's usual forte, she normally deals primarily in Atlus/SEGA leaks), then yeah I agree, that track record is unproven.

Unproven? Doesn't she have an established reputation already? She's classified as Tier 1 Reliable at /r/gamingleaksandrumors

However if you're referring to the recent spate of codenames being shared (which isn't Midori's usual forte, she normally deals primarily in Atlus/SEGA leaks), then yeah I agree, that track record is unproven.
Yeah, exactly. I included "Nintendo" before "track record is unproven" intentionally. As far as I know, she's very well respected for Sega leaks. But from what I've read, these Nintendo leaks are new territory for her and almost out of character. I remember when the first code name popped up, many comments were about how it must be a project with Sega for Midori to know about it. So I'm personally being cautious until we see one of these pan out.

People: I don't want leakers to spoiler everything before the game is announced.

Also people: this leak is worthless and not worth anything besides for people to speculate. No thanks

People: I don't want leakers to spoiler everything before the game is announced.

Also people: this leak is worthless and not worth anything besides for people to speculate. No thanks
the answer is no leaks but we might not be ready for that conversation

the answer is no leaks but we might not be ready for that conversation
I would be fine with or without them but I don't think many people would enjoy speculation without some of these leakers. But you're not wrong

Spred you say...

nutella-personalizada-super-mario-kit-festa-super-mario.jpg

I also have a leak.
There is a project at Nintendo in development for 10 years with the title Mario Kart Ounce!

why are we humoring these again?

like no offense but uh, what?
She has good SEGA sources, at least. On Nintendo, she's completely unproven, and there are a few red flags. These sorts of codename leaks are fairly easy to fake in a way that sounds plausible, and U-King-O in particular happened at precisely the most suspicious moment it possibly could have happened.

No way!!! You’re telling me Nintendo is making a new MARIO GAME?!!!

* makes 18 shitty clickbait YouTube videos with AI Mario in the thumbnail *

Tier is a basic English word with an established meaning. Your brain might be associating the phrase with recent subjectivity Tier list culture.

All it means is... she doesn't miss. Rarely.

It's not a subjective thing here. It's not an ice cream flavor tier list.

Last edited:
Tier is a basic English word with an established meaning. Your brain is associating the phrase with recent subjectivity tierlist culture.
If a subreddit is literally assigning insiders tiers then it's not our brains associating a damn thing, it's literally a group of people putting another group of people into a tierlist. If anything it isn't due to "subjectivity tierlist culture" but the rise of online insider culture.

And it's cringey as hell.

Ah okay that's what you meant.

Well, it's just there as an at-a-glance guideline under the posts so anyone will know right away if it's from a reliable source.

I don't think it's indicative of insider worship culture.

Last edited:
My take from this is the following:

SPRed: obviously the next 3D Mario. It probably was on concept/prototyping/pre-production phase as soon as Odyssey gone gold. It was always meant to come to the Switch successor. Super Mario Bros Wonder was meant to come to the Switch and had no deadline for pre-production, let's remember that. Production on a large scale would start only by 2019, shortly before the hiring calls were made. ~5-6 years of full development plus 1-2 of pre-production is about what I'd expect from a full next gen Mario game. A current gen Zelda game that had a foundation took 5-6 years.

SilverStar: it has Star just like Odyssey but ditches the Red that all Super Mario games had. To me the easier answer is that... It's not a Mario game - yeah, SilverStar is the codename for the 2D Action Game they hired for in August 2020. Probably our boi Donkey Kong. I believe the "was in development" probably means she doesn't have up to date information on it. Makes sense for her to know about the next 3D Mario being in active development because it's probably already doing polishing/bug fixing/QA testing for it to be a launch title for Switch 2(and she has a lot of info on Switch 2). DK... Idk, I hope it was just finished and not canned.

About silverstar… 3D all star codename was “Stardust”, maybe silverstar is a second collection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom