• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Midori tweets teaser for new Nintendo game, “SPRed”

Status
Not open for further replies.
but they aren't leaking anything of value lmao. Everyone and their grandmother knows Nintendo has a mainline Mario slow roasting lmao
With a company as secretive as Nintendo, it's always nice to get a glimpse inside, even if it's very small like this. That's how I see it.

No, it's just an assumption based on Midori's tweet
Ah, I see the added tweet now.

Is she trying to imply that this other codename is related? and is therefore the next 3D Mario. SPRed really sounded like Super Paper Mario to me.

Maybe she's just throwing all the Mario related stuff out there.

Ah, I see the added tweet now.

Is she trying to imply that this other codename is related? and is therefore the next 3D Mario. SPRed really sounded like Super Paper Mario to me.

Maybe she's just throwing all the Mario related stuff out there.
"Red" has only ever been used by mainline Mario games so far, it probably wouldn't show up on Paper Mario.

ZC6O9bW.png

Codenames are interesting but never say anything. Again why divulge them, its just gonna get her in trouble

If I had to bet money, SPRed is probably a pun like Secred; Spread? Not sure what relevance that could have to the game unless things are more spread out because it's open world, lol.
Wouldn’t it make more sense for it to be SP (special) + Red given the capitalization?

Okay, curious what the Paper Mario codenames were (64, TTYD and Super) back in the day.
SMRPG64 - Paper Mario
mariost - Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2004)
spmario / wiimario - Super Paper Mario
554g/GG4G - Paper Mario: Sticker Star
gojika - Paper Mario: Color Splash
RockG - Paper Mario: The Origami King
GogoS / GogoS_Dodgeball - Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2024)

Honestly I know I'm in the minority here but I prefer "leaks" like this. They're vague enough to not spoil anything (assuming they're true,) and they're interesting enough to spark some level of discussion.

They're also easily forgettable so no one's gonna get their hopes up and than be upset when they don't get what they thought they were getting.

I was going to do this big, sarcastic paragraph where I feign shock at the idea of a new 3D Mario, but instead I'll just shrug, say "okay," and wonder what the hell is going on at Nintendo EPD for Midori to just be snatching codenames like this. Because I'm more impressed that she knows them more than anything else, since they're otherwise borderline useless for speculation.

It's not about what the codenames reveal, but the fact that she knows them
Do we know that she knows them? I'm not familiar with her Nintendo track record. I thought she was known for Sega leaks until recently, and I'm not aware of a way for us to validate these Nintendo code names at this time.

Do we know that she knows them? I'm not familiar with her Nintendo track record. I thought she was known for Sega leaks until recently, and I'm not aware of a way for us to validate these Nintendo code names at this time.
no we don't. there-in lies the problem. this isn't one that can be proven false if the name never shows up. so we wouldn't be able to say if she lied or not

Put a god damn avatar picture

SMRPG64 - Paper Mario
mariost - Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2004)
spmario / wiimario - Super Paper Mario
554g/GG4G - Paper Mario: Sticker Star
gojika - Paper Mario: Color Splash
RockG - Paper Mario: The Origami King
GogoS / GogoS_Dodgeball - Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2024)
Spmario... so close to spred.

Thanks for sharing.

The only useful/interesting thing about Midori's "leak" here (no knock on Midori, just this is barely information) - is that the codename potentially allows correlation to other things.

The correlation to Mario ("red") is obvious. But SPR actually has Nintendo meaning - it was the product code for the 3DS XL, a piece of hardware that, unusually for a variant handheld, had a major launch title - New Super Mario Bros 2, which launched on the same day.

Just the other day, Brazil, who is reliable, leaked a 3DS remake/remaster coming after the Switch 2 launch. It isn't unsurprising for leaks on the same project to come in clusters, as the tend to follow a new group of devs gaining access, or a change in status of the project that makes more team members chatty.

My baseless speculation then is that this is an HD uprez of NSMB2 for the 3DS, and that Midori and Brazil are referring to the same project.

SPRed = Special Red = Special Mario

I wonder if it's some sort of anthology reimagining of the Mario universe starting with SMB1

The only useful/interesting thing about Midori's "leak" here (no knock on Midori, just this is barely information) - is that the codename potentially allows correlation to other things.

The correlation to Mario ("red") is obvious. But SPR actually has Nintendo meaning - it was the product code for the 3DS XL, a piece of hardware that, unusually for a variant handheld, had a major launch title - New Super Mario Bros 2, which launched on the same day.

Just the other day, Brazil, who is reliable, leaked a 3DS remake/remaster coming after the Switch 2 launch. It isn't unsurprising for leaks on the same project to come in clusters, as the tend to follow a new group of devs gaining access, or a change in status of the project that makes more team members chatty.

My baseless speculation then is that this is an HD uprez of NSMB2 for the 3DS, and that Midori and Brazil are referring to the same project.
I joked about this but it would be hilarious if you're correct.

no we don't. there-in lies the problem. this isn't one that can be proven false if the name never shows up. so we wouldn't be able to say if she lied or not

Yeah, I figure these could turn out to be right in the future, but my feeling right now is Midori is unproven when it comes to Nintendo. In a few years, if we start seeing games release where these code names are found via datamining, then I feel that's the time to wonder how she got this information. However, it really could be years, and we could also never get a game with these code names. If that latter scenario happens, we couldn't definitively say this was fake either, as the name could change or be scrubbed. We have to see if one of these pops up or if Midori starts providing other Nintendo information that is more easily or immediately verifiable.

If this is a 3DS Mario remaster, I'd much rather it be Super Mario 3D Land or Mario Golf: World Tour.

Taking a second to acknowledge that we don't really know where Midori's source(s) come from, how widespread would knowledge of projects like SPRed and Banquet be? Is Nintendo really going out to third parties or outside organizations and talking about games using these codenames? Or would the legitimacy of this info depend on Midori having a source within Nintendo itself?

Intelligent systems has a code name for a future project.

It’s Iron20
Marvel must really like what they're seeing from EA if they're already greenlit 19 other Iron Man games, including a strategy RPG.
Fire Emblem or Paper Mario or Warioware or?

Or is this some inside joke that I'm not getting lol.
I'm pretty sure all the Fire Emblem games are Iron##. So DecoReturns is just saying Intelligent Systems is making another Fire Emblem, which I imagine is a commentary on this supposed code name essentially saying that Nintendo is making another Mario game.

imo it'd be a wild Nintendo Moment if they actually put out a NSMB2 remaster before a NSMB Wii remaster

esp. since isn't there already kinda an HD version of NSMB Wii that they put on the Nvidia Shield in China a few years back? Would it make sense to go to that extra effort to rerelease what is generally considered the weakest of the 4 NSMB games instead of the most popular?

Fire Emblem or Paper Mario or Warioware or?

Or is this some inside joke that I'm not getting lol.
The joke is most Fire Emblem games have had Iron[number] as a codename (because iron is FE on the periodic table), and the most recent game was Iron19

I thought Midori said they were retiring from leaking or something? Was that not the case or was it a retirement lasting a whole 5 minutes?

I know others have said it but these leaks seem like nothing. A codename by itself is uninteresting, and we know Nintendo are making a Mario because of course they are.

imo it'd be a wild Nintendo Moment if they actually put out a NSMB2 remaster before a NSMB Wii remaster

esp. since isn't there already kinda an HD version of NSMB Wii that they put on the Nvidia Shield in China a few years back? Would it make sense to go to that extra effort to rerelease what is generally considered the weakest of the 4 NSMB games instead of the most popular?

The joke is most Fire Emblem games have had Iron[number] as a codename (because iron is FE on the periodic table), and the most recent game was Iron19
2026 is the twentieth anniversary of the NSMB series. Perfect time to throw the first three games into an All-Stars collection.

That being said I do think NSMB2 is the last game of those three they would re-release individually.

I feel like these codename leaks would be better off as posts in Nintendo General Discussion or Direct Speculation rather than with dedicated threads. It’s potentially interesting info if we ever can verify it, but even then “a new Mario game is in development” is just so little to work with.

No. It would be called BigRed-S if that was the case, since BigRed is NSMB2's codename and -S (or S) is added to every Switch remake/port/remaster.

Also NSMB2 is a shitty game that should never be brought back to any system.

Just to put my opinion on the table:
  • SPRed: is a new mainline Mario game. Probably 3D but Red is used by all mainline games. It is not a port, and I'd say not remake either.
    I'd suggest not to make sense of the codenames, none of them have true meaning. We can talk if it has a -S or a -O though.
    Personally I think of a "pun" like with Wonder's "Secred" with Secret and how "SPRed" could mean Spread.
  • SilverStar: I don't rule out Odyssey DLC, but I'm thinking also of a collection of Mario games because Mario 3D All-Stars' codename is Stardust. It's hard to know for sure but not having Red bothers me, as even New Super Luigi U seems to be called RedDash.

My take from this is the following:

SPRed: obviously the next 3D Mario. It probably was on concept/prototyping/pre-production phase as soon as Odyssey gone gold. It was always meant to come to the Switch successor. Super Mario Bros Wonder was meant to come to the Switch and had no deadline for pre-production, let's remember that. Production on a large scale would start only by 2019, shortly before the hiring calls were made. ~5-6 years of full development plus 1-2 of pre-production is about what I'd expect from a full next gen Mario game. A current gen Zelda game that had a foundation took 5-6 years.

SilverStar: it has Star just like Odyssey but ditches the Red that all Super Mario games had. To me the easier answer is that... It's not a Mario game - yeah, SilverStar is the codename for the 2D Action Game they hired for in August 2020. Probably our boi Donkey Kong. I believe the "was in development" probably means she doesn't have up to date information on it. Makes sense for her to know about the next 3D Mario being in active development because it's probably already doing polishing/bug fixing/QA testing for it to be a launch title for Switch 2(and she has a lot of info on Switch 2). DK... Idk, I hope it was just finished and not canned.

• SilverStar: I don't rule out Odyssey DLC, but I'm thinking also of a collection of Mario games because Mario 3D All-Stars' codename is Stardust. It's hard to know for sure but not having Red bothers me, as even New Super Luigi U seems to be called RedDash.
Odyssey was RedStar and 3D All Stars StarDust... Hmmmm.

Super Mario Galaxy Remastered Collection
Super Mario Galaxy Remastered
Super Mario Galaxy 2 Remastered
And the all new Super Mario Galaxy: The Lost Star, with playable Rosalina.

(I mean they did Bowser's Fury so why not huh?)

(Also they just ended Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC and the next Mario Kart might come next year so them just casually dropping an Odyssey standalone campaign isn't out of the way lol)

Not to be that guy, but if this was Nate I doubt we'd see nearly this much pessimism. I'll give it a shot.
Give what a shot? What's the value of knowing the codename cause it ain't knowing that a Mario game is being made. And what pessimism? How is what I said pessimistic? I think you mean dismissive.

Maybe my dismissiveness is harsh but like if you look at what Midori is known for leaking...this is nothing. I don't know why we have to compare her to Nate. That just makes this weird now.

Codenames are interesting but never say anything. Again why divulge them, its just gonna get her in trouble
Somehow I doubt it, I don't think Midori works for Nintendo anyway?

My take from this is the following:

SPRed: obviously the next 3D Mario. It probably was on concept/prototyping/pre-production phase as soon as Odyssey gone gold. It was always meant to come to the Switch successor. Super Mario Bros Wonder was meant to come to the Switch and had no deadline for pre-production, let's remember that. Production on a large scale would start only by 2019, shortly before the hiring calls were made. ~5-6 years of full development plus 1-2 of pre-production is about what I'd expect from a full next gen Mario game. A current gen Zelda game that had a foundation took 5-6 years.

SilverStar: it has Star just like Odyssey but ditches the Red that all Super Mario games had. To me the easier answer is that... It's not a Mario game - yeah, SilverStar is the codename for the 2D Action Game they hired for in August 2020. Probably our boi Donkey Kong. I believe the "was in development" probably means she doesn't have up to date information on it. Makes sense for her to know about the next 3D Mario being in active development because it's probably already doing polishing/bug fixing/QA testing for it to be a launch title for Switch 2(and she has a lot of info on Switch 2). DK... Idk, I hope it was just finished and not canned.
If I were to believe Midori's tweets, I would think SPRed is sequel to Mario Wonder ("SecRed", as in "Sacred", we have "Spread" now)

And SilverStar is probably the sequel to Super Mario Odyssey (RedStar). However, Midori used past tense "was", so maybe there still is a 3D Mario game but it's no longer considered a sequel to Odyssey

(ofc I could be wrong on all counts here lol)

I've been saying this for a while now. Odyssey 2 got canned probably sometime in 2020. There's no other explanation why the 3D Mario team has been absent for almost the entirety of a console generation. Even EPD9 had Mario Kart Tour and the Booster Course Pass.
But they haven't disappeared. The senior members were credited on Bowser's Fury, Super Mario Maker 2, and Super Mario 3D All Stars. And Ubisoft's president explicitly said that Nintendo told them not to make Sparks of Hope because Mario games do better at one-per-generation, a rule that Nintendo has only broken with 3D Mario a single time.

Not saying Odyssey 2 didn't exist, or wasn't canned. Just that I imagine that if it did, it was never coming to Switch.

I don't understand the hostility. I've seen speculation on even less. Sure it's not a huge surprise that a new Mario game is in the works (if that is what this is), but it is interesting that it is seemingly confirmed. I feel the same way hearing that a new Nintendo console is being worked on, even though I know they start designing soon after the current one is released.

I joked about this but it would be hilarious if you're correct.
I missed your post! And I'm half joking myself.

How much weirder than getting Luigi's Mansion 2 HD before a remake of Luigi's Mansion?

No. It would be called BigRed-S if that was the case, since BigRed is NSMB2's codename and -S (or S) is added to every Switch remake/port/remaster.
I did not know that first part! I actually looked for the NSMB2 codename and couldn't find it.

Also NSMB2 is a shitty game that should never be brought back to any system.
You must be a lot of fun at parties.

thsi is really weird, most leaks come from qa/localization/marketing/outsourcing companies,none of those would have acess to this kind of info, to know this you have to either be a dev or look at the game code, not even furukawa must know those codenames, in the internal documents its probably "untitled 3d mario game"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom