• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Metroid |ST| Trust The Process

Are we finally seeing Metroid Prime 4's re-reveal in the next Nintendo Direct?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Metroid (NES): 4/10
Metroid II: Return of Samus: N/A
Super Metroid: 7/10
Metroid Fusion: N/A (I'm gonna play it some day, promise!)
Metroid Prime: 7/10
Metroid: Zero Mission: 9/10
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes: N/A
Metroid Prime Pinball: 8/10
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption: 6/10
Metroid: Samus Returns: N/A
Metroid Dread: 10/10

Yes you read me correctly. Prime Pinball is the best Metroid Prime game.

I'm glad we're on the subject of series rankings, but in an effort to stop this from temporarily becoming a list thread, I'll propose the following, for the new page: what is your favorite, and least favorite Metroid game, and why? Failing that, in the event that the answers all start to resemble the fairly boring "Super Metroid best, Other M worst", what Metroid game do you believe you could provide the most unique commentary on?

I'll aim to keep my answers brief, but I'd say Metroid Fusion is my favorite, for a few different reasons. First off, it was my very first Metroid game, and it made a huge impact on me, growing up. Its somewhat survival horror leaning went a long way in forming my taste in media, and it's among my most replayed games ever. I love the story, boss fights, music, and everything else about it, really. Samus Aran is my favorite character of all time, and Fusion is a substantial contributor as to why. She's a maverick, and I love the way she ultimately awakened the computerized Adam's humanity, through her own strong resolve, and desire to protect the galaxy at all costs. She was prepared to give her life to ensure the demise of the X Parasites, and that left a major impression, during a time when I was primarily playing games featuring happy platformer mascots, and the like. I could write an essay on why I love Fusion so much, but for now, I'll just leave it at that.

I think my least favorite would probably be Metroid Prime Hunters, which I only played for the first time, late last year. Some may argue that it has redemptive qualities, and that's fair (especially considering I haven't touched the multiplayer, aka the game's main draw), but speaking strictly on the single player component: wow, what a stinker. It eschews traditional Metroid design philosophy, in favor of some weird campaign filled with blando key collection, horrible, asset flipped boss fights (will it be the totem pole, or big eyeball, this time?), and really dull, repetitive arena battles against the game's titular hunters, none of which have any character, whatsoever. A Jim Bob here, a Bubba Joe there, but nothing like Corruption's Rundas, Ghor, and Gandrayda, which were not only actual characters, but ones meaningfully integrated within the game's main plot. Speaking of plot, that's not even touching on factors like the whole thing being a rehash of Prime 1's plot, and the levels consisting of Magmoor Caverns but not, Phendrana Drifts but not, and so on. Weavel looks cool, Spire looks like a Skylanders character. 'Nuff said.

I'm glad we're on the subject of series rankings, but in an effort to stop this from temporarily becoming a list thread, I'll propose the following, for the new page: what is your favorite, and least favorite Metroid game, and why? Failing that, in the event that the answers all start to resemble the fairly boring "Super Metroid best, Other M worst", what Metroid game do you believe you could provide the most unique commentary on?
Dread is my favorite Metroid game to play as just a normal fan of the series. Super Metroid has become my all-time favorite due to how good the speedrun is.

Hunters is my least favorite gameplay wise and Other M my least favorite narrative. Although I didn't hate it, I was also so lukewarm on Samus Returns (lack of sequence breaking, slow gameplay) that I was very worried for Dread. Glad it exceeded expectations.

I'll aim to keep my answers brief, but I'd say Metroid Fusion is my favorite, for a few different reasons. First off, it was my very first Metroid game, and it made a huge impact on me, growing up. Its somewhat survival horror leaning went a long way in forming my taste in media, and it's among my most replayed games ever. I love the story, boss fights, music, and everything else about it, really. Samus Aran is my favorite character of all time, and Fusion is a substantial contributor as to why. She's a maverick, and I love the way she ultimately awakened the computerized Adam's humanity, through her own strong resolve, and desire to protect the galaxy at all costs. She was prepared to give her life to ensure the demise of the X Parasites, and that left a major impression, during a time when I was primarily playing games featuring happy platformer mascots, and the like. I could write an essay on why I love Fusion so much, but for now, I'll just leave it at that.

I think my least favorite would probably be Metroid Prime Hunters, which I only played for the first time, late last year. Some may argue that it has redemptive qualities, and that's fair (especially considering I haven't touched the multiplayer, aka the game's main draw), but speaking strictly on the single player component: wow, what a stinker. It eschews traditional Metroid design philosophy, in favor of some weird campaign filled with blando key collection, horrible, asset flipped boss fights (will it be the totem pole, or big eyeball, this time?), and really dull, repetitive arena battles against the game's titular hunters, none of which have any character, whatsoever. A Jim Bob here, a Bubba Joe there, but nothing like Corruption's Rundas, Ghor, and Gandrayda, which were not only actual characters, but ones meaningfully integrated within the game's main plot. Speaking of plot, that's not even touching on factors like the whole thing being a rehash of Prime 1's plot, and the levels consisting of Magmoor Caverns but not, Phendrana Drifts but not, and so on. Weavel looks cool, Spire looks like a Skylanders character. 'Nuff said.

Nice writeup. Fusion is absolutely amazing, and never gets old to replay. I love it for many of the reasons you do as well. And yeah, the singleplayer campaign is absolutely a turd. It's not just bad as a Metroid game, but as a video game in general imo. For my choices I'm gonna leave the spinoffs out of this, and keep it to the main series though.

------------------------

I've wrote about my favorite before, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, so I'll try to talk about some other things that I haven't talked about as much. Fusion is my favorite 2D game, and I think Corruption borrows a lot from that game and applies it to a 3D space, and does so beautifully. It's more linear, segmented, and story driven. I absolutely love the isolation that the Metroid series invokes, but I also love when we get peeks into the larger Metroid universe. There is context to everything you do in Corruption. The combination of always having mission objectives, combined with Retro's immaculate world building and environmental storytelling make every moment you're playing Corruption have more meaning. It goes way beyond Prime and Echoes, "Collect these keys to open the thing to beat the big boss to save the planet." There are several ways in which Corruption tells it's story brilliantly through gameplay and navigating the environment:

-As the Space Pirates invade the GFS Olympus, Samus rolls through morphball tunnels underneath the ship as you see the mysterious new Hunters use their otherworldly abilities against them, a beautifully animated scene.

-As the self destruct timer on Norion counts down, Samus rushes over a bridge to her next objective as a soldier is startled by a flying dragon, "What the heck is that!"

-Samus enters an unassuming floating pod on Skytown, only to find a labyrinth of narrow hallways, all containing numerous holding cells with Phazon Metroids inside. She makes her way through several rooms as the Metroids are agitated within their cells. The power goes out, she hears glass break, and creepy music ensues...

-Samus sees several creatures on Bryyo encased in Ice as she pursues Rundas. She get's glimpses of him from time to time, realizing that he isn't the same...

There are many other moments like this that make the world feel alive in a way that the Metroid series has never been before. To some, the cost of crippling isolation and nonlinearity is too big a price to pay, but for me it's not a bother. There are many long stretches in the game where you are alone and isolated. And though the game may point you towards your objective, it doesn't tell you how to get here. Environmental puzzles and obstacles are back in full force. These too have more context than past games, such as navigating a large room to upgrade your ship in a multi-step puzzle involving platforming, scanning, and careful observation of your surroundings. The way forward isn't always obvious, and careful exploration is required. As much as I love classic, Metroid ass Metroid, I find myself gravitating towards the games in the series that deviate from the norm. To me, Corruption is the shining example of this.

-----------------------

My least favorite is Metroid: Zero Mission. I know this is a fan favorite, and for many it was their first Metroid experience. That is completely valid. I think it's a very "welcoming" game. But for me, that's a big part of why I don't rate it very highly. It's biggest sin to me is it significantly diminishes the alien horror vibe of the first game. There is nothing brooding, nothing unsettling, nothing bold here. The graphics are more detailed, but the color palate is too bright and vibrant. The GBA speakers do not do the music any favors, but even if they did, the remixes of the original songs all fall flat for me. The music in OG Metroid made the environments feel ALIVE, and out to get you. It was as if they weren't separate from the environments themselves. But I'm just not feeling any of that here.

Gameplay wise, obviously there are many improvements over the original. You have a map, you don't have to start with 30 health when you die, you can shoot in 8 directions, you always know exactly where to go, less graphical glitches, slowdown, etc. And of course, you get a lot of powerups from Super Metroid. But nothing here is anywhere near as good as Super Metroid. Nothing in the level or world design makes these powerups interesting to use in Zero Mission. The game is easy, so there's no drive to go explore off the beaten path to look for missile upgrades and E-tanks. I also did not dig the post Mother Brain stealth section at all. It felt like the antitheses to Metroid. People criticize Other M for making Samus feel helpless, but in the entirety of that game, she could still kick the ever living crap out of everything in her way. But in this entirely long drawn out section, you are forced to actually BE helpless. It wasn't fun in any way to me. It was a relief finally get your fully powered up suit back though and wreak havoc at the end.

This game fails as both a remake to the original Metroid by butchering it's atmosphere and watering down the essence of what it was. It also fails as a sequel to Fusion. The level design, bosses, challenge, pacing, and atmosphere all take a significant step back. By trying to combine aspects of the OG, Fusion, and Super, it ends up with an identity crisis without much uniqueness of it's own.

I don't hate the game by any means. I even like it, as it still uses the timeless formula and gameplay loop of finding abilities to access new areas to progress. That is something that will never get old. Obviously I don't love it but I am happy that others do. It has an accessibility to it that makes it easy for anyone to pick up and play. OG Metroid is an old, archaic game in many ways, and Zero Mission is a way for people to experience the original adventure without the headache and frustration. And it has a certain charm to it all it's own. And most importantly, it got a lot of people into Metroid to begin with. And that is worth praising.

Last edited:
Have to get the reviews out of my system first before writing something out after reading the last page:

Metroid 2/10 (3/10 with rewind)
Metroid II 7/10
Super Metroid 10/10
Fusion 9/10
Dread 10/10
Zero Mission 8/10
Samus Returns 9/10
Metroid Prime 10/10
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes 10/10
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption 10/10
Metroid Prime Hunters 6/10
Metroid Prime Pinball 5/10
Metroid Prime Federation Force DNF 1/10?
Metroid Other M 4/10 (10/10 for being insulting!)

I have no idea what scale I was using lol. More relative to each other I guess or how much I’d like to play them if presented before me.

Behold

Metroid - 5/10
Metroid II - 6/10
Super Metroid - 10/10
Metroid Fusion - 9/10
Metroid Prime - 10/10
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes - 9/10
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption - 8,5/10
Metroid Other M - 7/10
Metroid Samus Returns - 8/10
Metroid Dread - 9/10

I did not play Metroid back in the days and could not play it more than a couple hours on Virtual Console. Most 8-bit games are nigh unplayable for me anyway. Most of them are all kind of janky, punishingly difficult and more often than not, save states or other kinds of cheat only reveal how short and poorly balanced they are. Anyways...

Metroid II holds a super special place in my heart as it is the first Metroid I played, and one of my favorite Game Boy game with Gargoyle's Quest (whose music I still frequently hum). I could never beat it back then because I constantly got lost. The game had no map whatsoever and its handheld nature made a bit awkward to draw a map on paper. It was quite the shock when I could beat it in under 5 hours some 20 years later on Virtual Console.

Super Metroid. I never had a SNES but of course I knew it was one of the best game of the platform. Still, I played it super late on Wii U Virtual Console. I became a quick fan and beat it multiple times. I'm not a speed runner myself (even by a long shot) but somehow got interested in speed running thanks to Super.

I played Fusion and Zero Mission on emulators (with a keyboard!) during some super boring Summer internship. I had a Game Boy Advance some time before, but I sold it before I had the chance to play any Metroid game on it. I bought them later when I got a DS and played them properly then. I did not like Fusion that much then because I find the whole fusion suit thing a bit weird, and I did not appreciate the linearity and the horror elements of the game (changed my mind on that since then). I much preferred Zero Mission because I liked the classic suits better and because it was way more chill than Fusion (so I would have to disagree with @TheSpaceBetween even though their sentiment makes much more sense than mine). I liked the stealth part, it was pretty nice to see Samus as a human and not just as some somersaulting space tank. I thought it was pretty silly to stumble on a whole new suit a few minutes later, even though I like the bits of origin story, the drawings and all that. Beat them multiple times on Virtual Console.

Prime. Boom. Knocked me right off of my feet. Graphics, gameplay, style, music, lore... Stratospheric game. Clearly my favorite Metroid game ever and the one that really solidified the franchise in my top 3 favorite. I could never finish Echoes back then. I got frustrated quickly by the light/shadow mechanic back then and some bosses were just punishingly difficult in the Gamecube version. Played Corruption on the Wii and I liked it a lot. I did not really mind that the world was split in planets and I enjoyed seeing a bit more life, the Galactic Federation and all that. I thought it was a nice combination of classic Metroid gameplay and more scripted, story-driven shooters of the time.

Other M, I only played the demo and could not believe my eyes. I did not understand this game. Who the audience was, why it was a Metroid game in the first place. I always considered it as a weird Space Ninja Gaiden spin-off. Not my cup of tea at all.

Hunters, I played it a bit solo on the DS, but did not appreciate the stylus controls and lost interest in the game pretty fast, for the same reasons that have been given in previous posts.

Samus Returns, I really liked that game. I did not think we would see any 2D Metroid ever again, and being a modern remake on my first 2D Metroid, I could not not play it. I did not mind the oft-derided counter mechanic, but I did not think it was a very good addition either. I think it was nice during boss battles, but yeah a little bit intrusive in regular gameplay since most enemies' behavior (and they aren't that many different types) are built around it. I still beat it multiple times.

Dread, well, it's Dread. Phenomenal game. Just the right amount of challenge in Normal mode, lots of improvement over Samus Returns, great new mechanics, etc. But, heh, it's still a 2D Metroid and today I am ready for a new first-person episode. Prime HD Remaster, Prime 4, I need those games, badly. And I'm afraid I did not quite appreciate Dread as much as I should because of that. Oh, and the music for me was a huge disappointment. Every other Metroid game before had memorable tracks. I don't think I could hum any tracks from Dread despite beating it twice. Except for the Lower Brinstar remix used during the encounter with Quiet Robe, obviously.

EDIT: Anglish is difficile

Last edited:
My least favorite is Metroid: Zero Mission. I know this is a fan favorite, and for many it was their first Metroid experience. That is completely valid. I think it's a very "welcoming" game. But for me, that's a big part of why I don't rate it very highly. It's biggest sin to me is it significantly diminishes the alien horror vibe of the first game. There is nothing brooding, nothing unsettling, nothing bold here. The graphics are more detailed, but the color palate is too bright and vibrant. The GBA speakers do not do the music any favors, but even if they did, the remixes of the original songs all fall flat for me. The music in OG Metroid made the environments feel ALIVE, and out to get you. It was as if they weren't separate from the environments themselves. But I'm just not feeling any of that here.

Gameplay wise, obviously there are many improvements over the original. You have a map, you don't have to start with 30 health when you die, you can shoot in 8 directions, you always know exactly where to go, less graphical glitches, slowdown, etc. And of course, you get a lot of powerups from Super Metroid. But nothing here is anywhere near as good as Super Metroid. Nothing in the level or world design makes these powerups interesting to use in Zero Mission. The game is easy, so there's no drive to go explore off the beaten path to look for missile upgrades and E-tanks..
Agreed that ZM is too easy and not moody enough. But here I'll defend it. Yes, you're given map markers to tell you where to go. If you ignore them, Zero Mission is one of the most rewarding sequence break experiences in the whole series. You can play this game so out of order, it's ridiculous.

The term "Bikini babe" is sexist and something that would like to avoid seeing on this site. For that and a history of problematic behavior, we are banning you for one month. -hologram, Josh5890, Red Monster
My favorite is Metroid. After reading the rankings others have posted, I am very confident in saying that I am by far the biggest Metroid fan on this forum, which is interesting. It just nails everything from the word go, is completely ahead of its time, has a great sense of cave and bug, and is a great game to play in one session when you want to experience the vibes and hear that great music. Plus if you're good at it you get to see a bikini babe.

Least favorite is either Zero Mission or Prime 3.

Zero Mission is the most skippable, as it is a worse remake of Super that has the gall to think it can replace a game that it doesn't even try to replicate in the original Metroid. The whole thing is way too easy on top of it. Most of the game consists of a horribly boring and slow sequence that exists to show Samus's ass in a skin tight suit because the person now in charge of the series sees Samus as his little doll. Skip it

Prime 3 is the exact opposite of what a Metroid should be, and is unfinished. I don't get the impression that anyone who worked on it was happy with the final product after reading interviews, and it makes the first two prime games even worse. They couldn't even get the Wii remote stuff right since you do a lot of pointing where Samus is using her left hand when you're using your right. This is by far the actual worst Metroid, but it's bad in a more interesting way than Zero Mission which you can just skip.

While I'll admit I was disappointed to not see any Metroid yesterday (apart from the Switch icon which immediately jumped out at me), I've come to accept that Metroid will happen when it happens, and I'm okay with that.

Also fantastic ST @Aurc!

Just a matter of when :). I can see a Twitter drop happening even though in one hand it would be weird as well not to put it in a direct.

Pepe-Silvia-profile-pic-ea7fc248.jpg

What if Metroid Prime 4 takes place on Tallon IV again and that's why they are prioritizing a Metroid Prime 1 remake instead of a whole trilogy port?

Super Metroid is what made me a Metroid fan when I played it back in early 2002 and it is still my favorite game of all time. The atmosphere and the way it draws you into the world is unprecedented even to this day for me. That elevator descent into green Brinstar with the upbeat music creeping in is what solidified the game as incredible for me, and the ending sequence with Mother Brain firmly planted it as my favorite game of all time. I immediately played the other two Metroid games (there were only three games at the time!) that summer and I knew Metroid had become my favorite Nintendo series. I was absolutely obsessed with the upcoming release of Metroid Prime and could not wait to play it.

Other M is my least favorite game in the series but I feel like there's no point in going into why since everything that can be said about it has been said countless times. I will say this though: it no longer makes me angry like it used to because the series recovered from it and it's being treated as that weird little detour for the series rather than a turning point. For a stretch of about seven years I thought Other M had completely killed the Metroid series and that's why I resented it for so long. Now I'm merely indifferent to it - like, yeah, I thought it was terrible, but the series has moved on and I have too. No reason to hold anger over it anymore.

As for the Metroid game that I have the most unique perspective on, I have to give it to the first Metroid Prime. As I said in the first paragraph of this post, I anticipated Metroid Prime so intensely. It was hands-down my most anticipated game of all time at that point, and I got it on launch day. I had to make a choice between Prime or Fusion on that day since I was 13 and had to depend on my parents to buy games, and the choice was a no-brainer.

Over the course of the next week or so, I played Prime nonstop and ended up beating it on Thanksgiving Day (US). My thoughts were more or less "that was okay, I guess." I couldn't put my finger on why, but the game just didn't live up to my expectations and I was kind of ambivalent to it. I replayed it a few more times and it didn't really grow on me. I liked it, but didn't love it. When I got Fusion for Christmas that same year, I absolutely loved it and felt like I was in a minority for preferring it to Prime.

Over the following years, I went through a bit of a snobbish anti-Prime phase, where I called it "overrated" and said "REAL Metroid is 2D, not 3D." It wasn't until I decided to replay it in 2012 for its 10-year anniversary that it finally clicked. I fell head over heels in love with it and realized the game was a masterpiece. I think it took some serious reflection and maturity on my part to realize that there was absolutely a place for Prime to coexist among 2D Metroid.

Super Metroid is what made me a Metroid fan when I played it back in early 2002 and it is still my favorite game of all time. The atmosphere and the way it draws you into the world is unprecedented even to this day for me. That elevator descent into green Brinstar with the upbeat music creeping in is what solidified the game as incredible for me, and the ending sequence with Mother Brain firmly planted it as my favorite game of all time. I immediately played the other two Metroid games (there were only three games at the time!) that summer and I knew Metroid had become my favorite Nintendo series. I was absolutely obsessed with the upcoming release of Metroid Prime and could not wait to play it.

Other M is my least favorite game in the series but I feel like there's no point in going into why since everything that can be said about it has been said countless times. I will say this though: it no longer makes me angry like it used to because the series recovered from it and it's being treated as that weird little detour for the series rather than a turning point. For a stretch of about seven years I thought Other M had completely killed the Metroid series and that's why I resented it for so long. Now I'm merely indifferent to it - like, yeah, I thought it was terrible, but the series has moved on and I have too. No reason to hold anger over it anymore.

As for the Metroid game that I have the most unique perspective on, I have to give it to the first Metroid Prime. As I said in the first paragraph of this post, I anticipated Metroid Prime so intensely. It was hands-down my most anticipated game of all time at that point, and I got it on launch day. I had to make a choice between Prime or Fusion on that day since I was 13 and had to depend on my parents to buy games, and the choice was a no-brainer.

Over the course of the next week or so, I played Prime nonstop and ended up beating it on Thanksgiving Day (US). My thoughts were more or less "that was okay, I guess." I couldn't put my finger on why, but the game just didn't live up to my expectations and I was kind of ambivalent to it. I replayed it a few more times and it didn't really grow on me. I liked it, but didn't love it. When I got Fusion for Christmas that same year, I absolutely loved it and felt like I was in a minority for preferring it to Prime.

Over the following years, I went through a bit of a snobbish anti-Prime phase, where I called it "overrated" and said "REAL Metroid is 2D, not 3D." It wasn't until I decided to replay it in 2012 for its 10-year anniversary that it finally clicked. I fell head over heels in love with it and realized the game was a masterpiece. I think it took some serious reflection and maturity on my part to realize that there was absolutely a place for Prime to coexist among 2D Metroid.

It's interesting how our opinions on games change over time. I recall playing the classic trilogy when I was very young, but I never really got far in any of them. Not because they were too difficult, but the atmosphere put me off. After playing Prime in 2002 and immediately falling in love with it, I went back and played the 2D games and loved them as well.

Valuable context for Prime HD. Nate says work finished in mid-2021, which we may have already known or estimated, but good to have a concrete answer. Fire Emblem Engage and MP HD are just two games that Nintendo have been sitting on, it seems.

Valuable context for Prime HD. Nate says work finished in mid-2021, which we may have already known or estimated, but good to have a concrete answer. Fire Emblem Engage and MP HD are just two games that Nintendo have been sitting on, it seems.

Does this imply they weren't working on Prime 4 while working on the Prime Remaster? I always assumed both games were being worked on at the same time.

Does this imply they weren't working on Prime 4 while working on the Prime Remaster? I always assumed both games were being worked on at the same time.

They were. Some of the Linkedin profiles show that they've been working on it since January 2019 as was announced in the update video.

Most favorite: Fusion
Least favorite: Metroid 1, or if we're sticking to games that we actually beat, Samus Returns

Fusion: On top of the survival horror stuff you mentioned and the pacing stuff I've gone into before, I will add that the game controls like a dream. It's a perfect middle ground between the weighty traversal of the old games and the hyper-fluidity of Dread. The cuts to the floatiness while keeping to the stiff aiming feels fantastic and at a high level is very reminiscent of mastering the tank controls for speedruns in older RE games.

Metroid 1: Honestly, if they peppered in a few - but not too many - QoL enhancements, I could easily see this being a great entry. As it stands though, it's a frustrating experience I didn't bother to get far in.

Samus Returns: Not necessarily a bad game, but rather thoroughly mediocre. The atmosphere is way too lively in comparison to the original, there's like 5 enemies, the counter is clunky and not in an interesting way, etc. It was scraps mainline Metroid fans needed after starving for 14 years, but in a post-Dread world it feels like nothing more than a prototype.

For the information we have through rumors they were already working even supporting the Namco cancelled version, making design and assets, by 2018.

I think Nate meant they were busy with only MP4 since 2021.

During preproduction there is opportunity for some of the staff to be allocated to different things. While they were making design documents, getting their tech in order, concept arting, figuring out scope, etc, many of the developers could work on MP1. As time has gone on we've only seen Retro hiring more and more as production has ramped up. I think at one point there were about 20 open positions. Retro is now double their size since the Tropical Freeze days, and it seems all hands are on deck for MP4.

I find just rating all the games pretty boring, but I will say that I found it interesting that I thought Samus Returns on 3DS was a pretty good return to form for the series at the time. Not amazing, but pretty good. Then I finally played AM2R and it kinda decimated my opinion of Samus Returns in retrospect.

Basically, Metroid II: Return of Samus was a formative gameplay experience for me as a kid, and Samus Returns never once made me feel like I was playing a remake of that game. AM2R, on the other hand, had that magical feeling of "this is just how I remember it, even though it obviously isn't".

I think Samus Returns' greatest legacy will be putting the modern gameplay systems / movement systems in place that led to the magnificent Dread, which is a top 3 game in the franchise. As its own thing - and as someone who replayed it quite recently - it's just too bland and forgettable.

I find just rating all the games pretty boring, but I will say that I found it interesting that I thought Samus Returns on 3DS was a pretty good return to form for the series at the time. Not amazing, but pretty good. Then I finally played AM2R and it kinda decimated my opinion of Samus Returns in retrospect.

Basically, Metroid II: Return of Samus was a formative gameplay experience for me as a kid, and Samus Returns never once made me feel like I was playing a remake of that game. AM2R, on the other hand, had that magical feeling of "this is just how I remember it, even though it obviously isn't".

I think Samus Returns' greatest legacy will be putting the modern gameplay systems / movement systems in place that led to the magnificent Dread, which is a top 3 game in the franchise. As its own thing - and as someone who replayed it quite recently - it's just too bland and forgettable.

Metroid II is my favorite of the classic trilogy. Both of the remakes are decent, but neither really captured the essence of the original for me. AM2R felt more like a sequel to Zero Mission than anything. I don't mind it though, cause it's kind of almost like having brand new games basically.

I don't feel like doing a rank right now, but I wanna give a shout out to the original Metroid II.

The game is such a wonderful old school experience. I was caught completely off guard by it, I had the cartridge lying around for ages and had never played it, and was convinced I probably was never going to since everyone kept talking about how bad and dated it was. One day, such a glorious day, i was cleaning my collection of Game Boy cartridges and checking which of them were still saving, so I started playing Metroid II just to check. But... For some reason, I couldn't stop playing it. It was a few months before Dread, my Metroid itch was kicking in, and the game grabbed me good like 5 minutes in. When I realized how it was structured, I was all in, it was too much of an unique concept to pass. I ended up finishing it in one sit, which is an extremely rare thing for me to do.

Killing every single Metroid in the game feels badass, and I love how moody the game is. There is really nothing like Metroid II, and I suspect I wouldn't like either of the remakes because I think the game is perfect as is, it's perfectly designed as a portable experience and is also very Metroid, different enough from the first game but still very familiar, and it also elevates the mechanics so much, it's a stellar sequel. Super Metroid isn't the evolution of the first game, it's more like a combination of the first two games into the perfect formula.

No. We already new the game was finished in 2021, Nate actually told us he heard the game had just wrapped up at the time. The story according to the original leaker of Prime Remaster on ERA (forgot his name) is that Retro had been working on it for a while after having their last project canceled as remaking a game would give them the direction they seemed to be in need of at the time. Meanwhile, MP4 was being developed by Bamco. Some time later, as we know, Nintendo wasn't happy with how it was turning out at Bamco, but was impressed by Retro's work on the remake, so they made the decision and handed the project to Retro. Allegedly, they were being worked on simultaneously until Prime 1 was finished in 2021.

The timeline makes sense because Retro reportedly started working on Prime 1 in 2018, and three years is kind of a long time to spend on a remaster for a studio like Retro, so it makes sense that they were sharing their time with MP4 as well since 2019.

I just went back and read through the thread from the beginning, so if I Yeah!'d an old post of yours, I'm not a weirdo, I'm just thorough.

(I'm actually both)

Thanks for all your contributions so far, everyone! I'm enjoying reading through all your Metroid takes.
Why am I only just now learning about Metroid Planets? It looks fantastic.
Trust me: it really, truly is, and I can't stress that enough. I highly suggest downloading it, plugging in a controller, and sitting down for a bit of highly polished Metroid goodness! It very much feels like an official Nintendo release, to me. One of these days, I need to type up a dedicated Metroid Planets stanpost. It goes beyond being merely a modernization of NES Metroid, -- though it's that, it also consists of an entirely new adventure, in planet Novus (I'd describe it as sort of a combination between OG Metroid, and Super, complete with NES-styled renditions of Super's tracks), in addition to what is essentially Metroid Maker: players create their own rooms, and the game uses procedural generation to put together a playable world, from those rooms. It's really cool! I have our very own @ElisaurusWrecks to thank, for reminding me Planets exists. Been in love with it, ever since.

I'll leave you with a cool gif of Samus encountering some spider enemies in Enigma, the UGC planet.

Yakchi_Reveal.gif

...And here's a taste of Loeder's awesome work on one of Novus's tracks!

Yeah, it just hasn't been a great week for me in general if I'm honest, and a Direct that just had nothing for my taste was an extra crappy disappointment on top. Fine in a vacuum but in the context of everything else... Ugh.

Go figure you'd finally make this awesome thread as soon as I am also in the dumps and struggling to participate 😅
Aw, don't worry about your participation, friend! Focus on taking care of yourself. 🙂 This thread is here now, and it's not going anywhere. Whenever you're ready to chill with us, feel free to stop on by! 🥳
I love it! Super impressive work on your behalf and you should be proud.

Also, come on, a 7/10 for Echoes? "There can be no greater heresy!" 😜
Don't worry! I'll give it another chance... one of these days... 😅 I hope I enjoy it more, this time around. I think now that I know what to expect, that should be a lot easier.

I was thinking I might know the reason Prime wasn't shown in the direct. Nintendo is going to drop another "Development Update" video outta nowhere. That's the only venue they'll use for talking about the Prime series going forward.

Wow. Sitting on a game for a few months is one thing but a year and a half sounds crazy, especially considering how developers used to race to put their games on the market to have the technological edge. How times have changed.

Wow. Sitting on a game for a few months is one thing but a year and a half sounds crazy, especially considering how developers used to race to put their games on the market to have the technological edge. How times have changed.
It might not mean that it was totally done and ready to release at that time, it could be that the game was content complete in 2021 and then spent some time in the testing/QA phase before being locked and awaiting release. Or something.

Trust me: it really, truly is, and I can't stress that enough. I highly suggest downloading it, plugging in a controller, and sitting down for a bit of highly polished Metroid goodness! It very much feels like an official Nintendo release, to me. One of these days, I need to type up a dedicated Metroid Planets stanpost. It goes beyond being merely a modernization of NES Metroid, -- though it's that, it also consists of an entirely new adventure, in planet Novus (I'd describe it as sort of a combination between OG Metroid, and Super, complete with NES-styled renditions of Super's tracks), in addition to what is essentially Metroid Maker: players create their own rooms, and the game uses procedural generation to put together a playable world, from those rooms. It's really cool! I have our very own @ElisaurusWrecks to thank, for reminding me Planets exists. Been in love with it, ever since.

I'll leave you with a cool gif of Samus encountering some spider enemies in Enigma, the UGC planet.

Yakchi_Reveal.gif

...And here's a taste of Loeder's awesome work on one of Novus's tracks!
???? This looks great, wth. Thanks for sharing it, guess I know what I'm playing this weekend

Aurc, you have a wonderful ST! For starters, here is a picture of my collection.

reMS3wM.jpg

It is smaller than I would probably like lol, but I am proud of it. I've had Metroid and the Prime Trilogy for the longest time. I lucked out getting the GBA games for $10~15 each about a year before the craze happened with retro games. The Dreads were obviously last year's pick up, and I will get to the 3DS game in a bit. I would like to get a few titles for my collection such as a Super Metroid cartridge, but I put a stop on all retro purchases over the past two years.

The Metroid series took a long time to click for me. I played around with Metroid on the Wii VC several times, but it was mostly frustrating. I know I dabbled a little bit in the SNES game, but I didn't stick with it for long. At some point I managed to complete Prime 1 on the Wii, but I never touched 2 and 3 (although in recent years I have been stubbornly waiting for that Prime trilogy port on Switch). Anyway, come 2017 Nintendo announced Metroid 2: Return of Samus for 3DS. I figured lets give it one more shot and see whats up. (side note- Holding my n3DS after holding a Switch for six months straight felt really weird). Anyway, I played the game for five minutes and felt this....
w5BjeQh.gif
. From that point on I have been a huge fan of the 2D series. So far I have beaten.

Metroid 2: Return of Samus (3DS)
Super Metroid
Metroid: Zero Mission
Metroid: Fusion
Metroid: Dread
Metroid Prime 1

The rest of the prime trilogy is on the bucket list, and I'd like to play the pinball game as well. Luckily the future is bright for this franchise.

Zero Mission is probably top of my list when it comes to Metroid games.

I went back and played Super, Zero Mission and Fusion before Dread came out, and Zero Mission for me was the one that stood out most.

Super Metroid is an absolute triumph of gameplay, level design and art direction, but I am one of those players who finds out a bit too abstract and obtuse at times. I know the whole point of Metroid games of the exploration, but for me, SM has just a few too many moments of needing to know which tile to bomb to progress.

Fusion I really enjoyed, but it's absolutely the most handholdy Metroid game.

Zero Mission I think was the perfect balance between the two. The markers show you your destination, but as with BotW, how you get there is largely up to you. The controls are also revelatory: I don't know how a system with two less buttons ended up controlling better than the SNES game, but ZM is just so gosh dang fluid and smooth, it's like butter in my hands.

Not going to rate all the games, but as a 41-year-old I will spill some ink to honor the original NES Metroid. I know it's difficult, floaty, obtuse, and hard to play by 2022 standards, but it was revolutionary at the time. It stands shoulder-to-shoulder with NES Zelda, not surprising since they were FDS poster children. It set the blueprint for the whole series and the music still rips. The NES version has no business sounding that good, and the FDS soundtrack with the extra channel is even better.

Super Metroid will always be my favorite overall though. And it's not even close.

Best Metroid: Metroid Dread

This game took me by surprise. I quite enjoyed and liked the Metroid 2 remake on the 3DS but not enough to ever replay it. It felt too repetitive for a 2nd playthrough.

Dread took that basic movement of Samus and improved it times ten.

The level design is superb, the movement is the best I have ever experienced in a 2D game and the boss design is out of this world. The progression felt really satisfying too. The lore drops and story was also well executed.

Generally speaking it is amazing that a game as anticipated as this game delivered an satisfying experience I will cherish for the rest of my life. It is that good.

Worst Metroid: Metroid

Not much to say about this one. It laid the foundation beautifully and for its time it probably was an amazing game. Nowadays it suffers from repetitive level design, clunky movement and some tedious, frustrating stuff.

I respect it a lot but Zelda 1 aged so much better for comparison. I still can play Zelda 1 and enjoy the journey. I love that game. But I just can't get into Metroid.

Thank god Zero Mission exists.

Favorite: Metroid Fusion - I know this game is still a bit of a black sheep because of the linearity. And yet, it's the closest that Metroid's ever gotten to the levels of suspense that usually are at home in a survival-horror/action-horror game. Right down to have a designated stalker who initially are helpless against, but you are eventually strong enough to not only rebel, but fight off and defeat in full. Sorry, EMMI, you may be much more advanced, but I still think the SA-X had the better overall impact.

Additionally, if you're going to have Samus speak/emote/monologue at all, I still think Fusion did it the best with her characterization. I really hope Other M flubbing doesn't enforce "mandates" or whatever when it comes to Samus being a character, as I think that's the thing that most separates her from Link.

Least Favorite: Metroid 2: Return of Samus. It's honestly just a matter that as time goes on, it's harder for me to do anything but force this oldie to the bottom of my personal list. Otherwise, it's really nothing personal.

I'm glad we're on the subject of series rankings, but in an effort to stop this from temporarily becoming a list thread, I'll propose the following, for the new page: what is your favorite, and least favorite Metroid game, and why?
Favorite: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. The last metroid game to have a core focus on exploration, a lot of cool new upgrades, increased the difficulty, excellent boss design, cool areas. Not only my favorite metroid but my favorite game of all time

Least favorite: Metroid Fusion. While not as bad as Other M, Fusion poisoned the core design of 2D/other M games after its release. No longer is the focus on exploration or cool new upgrades, instead we get action set pieces and dumb stealthing/chasing segments that are ill-fitting of metroidvanias. Whatever is left of exploration is tucked away in the background and this all stems from fusion (even prime 3 fell victim to this to an extent, I can only pray for prime 4 to come to its senses)

Really happy to see Fusion getting so many shout outs as the favorite game.
It is still phenomenal and just a blast to play through. It sits comfortably in my Top 3 Metroids and it is an easy 10/10 game even today.

Super, Fusion and Dread are the definitive Metroid trifecta to me personally because every title excels in categories of their own.

I will never stop replaying these three games.

I always liked Zero Mission, but it didn't solidify itself as an all-timer for me until 2019 when I decided to get all 9 endings. I strongly encourage anyone who hasn't done that to do so. I'd go as far as to say that if you only play through Zero Mission once, you only played a fraction of the game. Going for all endings is an excellent way of just showing you how well-crafted this game's world is, with all of the built-in sequence breaks and ways the world accommodates different play styles. The low percentage runs especially made me realize this game is absolutely brilliant with its world design.

I think Prime is just a grown up game (in a good way). It does a lot of things that 13 year olds just won't care about or understand or appreciate, from the atmosphere to the art direction to all sorts of little design nuances. It makes sense that you recognized all those brilliant things when you played it as an adult many years later.

One day we will see Metroid Prime 4.
Thank you for the bump! If you hadn't, I was soon going to do so myself.

I always see lots of awesome Metroid fan works (usually on Twitter, or Reddit). I think, in order to keep this thread going (even if there's no immediate news to discuss), I'm going to start posting cool community stuff I'd like to share with you all.

First off: this caught my eye other day, and the art looks promising! I'm excited to check it out!

Got a nice fat PB in Super Metroid speedrunning tonight. God I love this game

t159ptp.png
Whoa! As someone who hasn't dabbled in any kind of Metroid speedrunning, I find it super cool how we have someone here who has. Under an hour for a Super Metroid clear is wild. As a ballpark estimate, how many times in total would you say you've beaten Super, just out of curiosity? Furthermore, what would you say are some of the most interesting, or your personal favorite speedrun / sequence breaking tech? I'm familiar with Mockball, but little else.

Whoa! As someone who hasn't dabbled in any kind of Metroid speedrunning, I find it super cool how we have someone here who has. Under an hour for a Super Metroid clear is wild. As a ballpark estimate, how many times in total would you say you've beaten Super, just out of curiosity? Furthermore, what would you say are some of the most interesting, or your personal favorite speedrun / sequence breaking tech? I'm familiar with Mockball, but little else.
So I started seriously running the game in January after toying around for a few months last year. I only do actual on-the-clock runs when I have time to stream, which is way less than I'd like. But I practice offline basically every day, and I often practice all the way through the game. I'll do a room (or a series of tricky rooms in a row) until it feels good, then move on to the next. So...idk, maybe ballpark 300 times beating the game? But not actually 300 completed speedruns.

As for tricks, I recently picked up Oceanfly, which is really fun:

There's all that ugly empty space on the right because I recorded that offline just to show someone, and forgot to pull up my chat and speedrun splits into OBS lol

So I started seriously running the game in January after toying around for a few months last year. I only do actual on-the-clock runs when I have time to stream, which is way less than I'd like. But I practice offline basically every day, and I often practice all the way through the game. I'll do a room (or a series of tricky rooms in a row) until it feels good, then move on to the next. So...idk, maybe ballpark 300 times beating the game? But not actually 300 completed speedruns.

As for tricks, I recently picked up Oceanfly, which is really fun:

There's all that ugly empty space on the right because I recorded that offline just to show someone, and forgot to pull up my chat and speedrun splits into OBS lol

Holy moly, what a satisfying Shinespark that was. Incredible! Props for being able to pull off stuff like this. I wonder if I'll ever get into some Metroid speedrunning myself. Obviously I wouldn't be aiming for (nor capable of) setting any wild records, but clears that are under an hour sound like they'd be so satisfying to be able to achieve, in their own right.

Holy moly, what a satisfying Shinespark that was. Incredible! Props for being able to pull off stuff like this. I wonder if I'll ever get into some Metroid speedrunning myself. Obviously I wouldn't be aiming for (nor capable of) setting any wild records, but clears that are under an hour sound like they'd be so satisfying to be able to achieve, in their own right.
Sub-hour is a great goal. Challenging enough that you have to commit, but also totally manageable in a few months' time if you do. There's also a lot of tutorials out there, and runners tend to be very helpful and welcoming to newcomers.

Back
Top Bottom