• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Metroid |ST| Praise The Process

Metroid Prime 4 in the June 2024 Nintendo Direct?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can’t believe I’m barely 48 hours old of actually trying this game out. Metroid prime.

Been playing it all day and night

It so weird , the puzzles, the cinematic reminds he of Zelda, banjo and dk64

Feels SO FRIGGIN GOOD. what a waste of so many years not playing this GEM!

Does anyone actually like the design of the MP2 menus? Or would you prefer the remaster to change the layout to make them look like the MP1 menus?

latest

If "iconic" is the operative word, I'm not sure the Varia Suit is definitively #1, but it's safely in the top three, I'd say. Master Chief's armor would be more recognizable to the wider gaming public, especially considering Halo's prominence, right?

I'm heavily biased, but I reckon I'll always prefer the Varia Suit over the signature looks of other protagonists in high-tech space armor. I just love how unapologetically video gamey it is. It's bold and brightly colored, with the shoulder spheres and Arm Cannon contributing heavily to its recognizable, larger than life silhouette. The only element I'm not fond of are those knee and ankle spikes.

I usually prefer the Power Suits over the Varia Suits. The Gravity Suits are better too IMO. I guess I’m not a fan of the Varia Suit. 😖

I prefer Master Chief's armor to the Varia Suit, to be honest. I just think it's impressive how elegant they got his design by Halo 2, every crevice and indent just looks right (I swear I'm not talking about his butt here), it gets to a point of artistry where I'm kind of like "how tf did they even make that". For example the mouthpiece adds a lot of character when it could have just been a normal helmet. Even the Halo 1 variant, while there are Varia Suit versions I prefer to it, I like how old fashion and goofy it looks.

Now on the other hand if someone comes up to me and says "DOOM GUY" "DOOM GUY ARMOR" "DOOM GUY #1". Don't talk to me. Don't look at me. LEAVE ME ALONE! You can like whatever overrated trash you want, everyone has flaws, but to say that Stoffers-looking-ass-Master-Chief is the #1 power armor in video game? at LEAST pick 1993. Don't give me that generic ass green ogre garbage.

Anyways... here's my ranking of the varia suits:

Prime Remastered > Fusion > Dread > Super > Prime 2 > Prime 3 > Samus Returns (no) > Other M (I hate you)

If "iconic" is the operative word, I'm not sure the Varia Suit is definitively #1, but it's safely in the top three, I'd say. Master Chief's armor would be more recognizable to the wider gaming public, especially considering Halo's prominence, right?

I'm heavily biased, but I reckon I'll always prefer the Varia Suit over the signature looks of other protagonists in high-tech space armor. I just love how unapologetically video gamey it is. It's bold and brightly colored, with the shoulder spheres and Arm Cannon contributing heavily to its recognizable, larger than life silhouette. The only element I'm not fond of are those knee and ankle spikes.

I think the fact it's the oldest suit of (sci-fi) armour in games and Metroid is the oldest character-based sci-fi game goes a long way. I'd agree that MC is probably more recognisable nowadays but I don't think it's bias to say the Varia Suit is the most iconic.

Though it didn't have that design until '91 but still

In terms of whose armor I prefer, I'm as biased as they come (having never even played a Halo game), but I've never liked Master Chief's look. It just lacks that cool factor to me, it doesn't pop or stand out. It's very "generic serious dudebro holding a rifle", imo. I do like Doom Slayer's 2016 look though, for some reason. I don't know what it is. I feel like even though the colors are more subdued, the shape and look of the suit are still appealing. Don't worry though @AngryAlchemist, I'm not gonna say anything nice about that 90s design with the exposed abs, haha.
I usually prefer the Power Suits over the Varia Suits. The Gravity Suits are better too IMO. I guess I’m not a fan of the Varia Suit. 😖
You're not allowed to be in this thread, then. Sorry! 😡

Serious answer: Zero Mission's thin and sleek Power Suit has always been my favorite of the classic Power Suits, with the original GameCube version of Prime having one I thought looked awkward and unfortunate. I think I remember hearing it was because Samus's model rig was designed around the Varia / Gravity / Phazon Suits, which explains why the Fusion Suit also looks somewhat off in that game.

Zero Mission's thin and sleek Power Suit has always been my favorite of the classic Power Suits
...Now that I think on it a little more, I'd put the MPR Power Suit on-par. I mean, what a glow-up. They went from Hell to Taco Bell!

53084679562_3c6dbf1767_o.jpg

Here's the old version. The awkward stance admittedly doesn't help, lol:

MPR's models are so sharp.

53085656745_e90b275ab2_o.jpg

53085437144_7266e33048_o.jpg
i wonder how many tris the standard varia suit has. If im not mistaken the original one had like 8.500 which is tremendous if you compare to what mario's model in galaxy had, for example (around 5k) and what link's zelda tp model had (i think around 4k)

The Varia suit is iconic and very very good, but IMO it's usually not as good as whatever the last suit in the game is (the Phazon Suit, the Light Suit, Dread Gravity Suit, etc.)

The Varia suit is iconic and very very good, but IMO it's usually not as good as whatever the last suit in the game is (the Phazon Suit, the Light Suit, Dread Gravity Suit, etc.)
Oh for sure, the Metroid Suit and Light Suit are my favourites by far (closely followed by Phazon and fully corrupted PED). Begging for some Prime 2 level unique suits in 4.

Ranking each game's final suit (excluding every Varia and Gravity Suit, as they appear so often):

1.) Omega Fusion Suit ('cuz it's the GOAT Fusion Suit, but with the classic Varia color scheme over it)

2.) Light Suit (beautiful!)

3.) Fully Corrupted PED Suit (the PED Suit in general is one of my faves)

4.) Phazon Suit (not the biggest fan of the edgy red and black color scheme)

9001.) Metroid Suit (I love Dread's other suits, but I think they fumbled the design on this one!)

9002.) Gravity "Feature", from Metroid: Other M... 🙃

I honestly can't remember if I actually posted this or not, but I got the Hallmark ornament awhile back. It's very nice and I can't wait to see it on my tree this year.

I honestly can't remember if I actually posted this or not, but I got the Hallmark ornament awhile back. It's very nice and I can't wait to see it on my tree this year.
That's rad, Isis! Remember to post a pic in here once it's on there. Mine arrived too, but the box was crushed, and stuff like that bugs me. I'm gonna see if I can exchange it.

Just a reminder that sometimes dreams do come true
Damn watching that video made me realize how big of a miracle Dread's announcement (and existence) is.
I've been caught by speculating Metroid Dread and seeing it on fake leaks(as well as reading everything known about it) since before I had even played a Metroid game lol. Sounded like the legendary cancelled Nintendo game that never came.
The reveal being SO tense, with that amount of despair(definition of Dread) Samus appearing right away on a cutscene, the top notch graphics of the game...
Seeing everyone go nuts in the video with every bit of info/footage got is just so amazing. HMK even joking "Dread?" after Takahashi says "another game in the Metroid series" because that even became a meme and everybody gave up on it happening.
The reactions to the title reveal are heartwarming too lol.
And I was part of it!!! That E3 was just so legendary...
I can't wait for February Direct.
Might do my first ever Livestream just to record my reaction if Prime 4 is revealed.

Real Talk for A Sec: if Prime 4 isn't shown off this year how should we feel?
Like they're cooking up something good, and need just a little more time. I wouldn't be concerned, in all honesty. 2024 seems reasonable for a reveal, especially if that stuff about Metroid Prime 2 Remastered ends up being true, and they wanna get that game and Prime 3 out into people's hands first. I'll gladly keep waiting.

In all honesty I'll feel sad because it's been 6 years that I've been waiting to see this game, and least in some 2022 and 2023 I felt super hopeful to see it, but it didn't happen.
I know we'll have the best game of all time when we get it tho.
Also I'd feel it would be a fall 2024 and cross gen without a shadow of a doubt.
Like they're cooking up something good, and need just a little more time. I wouldn't be concerned, in all honesty. 2024 seems reasonable for a reveal, especially if that stuff about Metroid Prime 2 Remastered ends up being true, and they wanna get that game and Prime 3 out into people's hands first. I'll gladly keep waiting.
Yeah, it's kinda crazy because late 2024 would make for a 6-6.5 development cycle. I'm happy Retro is taking their time and their work in MPR already shown they're in no joke about making the most beautiful possible games.
A holiday 2024 release would lead me to believe it's gonna be open world or feature a lot of cinematics and VA.
If we get Metroid Prime 2 Remastered(with the same effort as MPR) I'll be happy to wait until February to see the game.
I think that we may end up getting Metroid Prime 2 + 3 in a similar effort as TP HD or WW HD (SS HD for Prime 3) for release this fall(or maybe one shadowdropped and the other dated for February?) and the reveal trailer for Metroid Prime 4 and a release date for May. Or a generic 2024 if we got MP2R stand alone.
They've made a whole disclaimer for MP4 before revealing Dread, then Metroid Prime Remastered was just a headline and they didn't mention 4 at all, I don't think they'll reveal another Metroid game and ignore/not show MP4.
MPR's models are so sharp.

53085656745_e90b275ab2_o.jpg

53085437144_7266e33048_o.jpg
Please Low Poly make an episode on the Metroid series so I can see how many tris Varia Suit used in MPR(bold prediction: more than Kratos in GoW 2018). It's insane how rounded this model is, nothing in a Nintendo game that I think comes close, just Luigi in LM3.

It's interesting that Prime 4 will have taken at least twice as long as any of Retro's previous games, which all had a development cycle of around three years (except Echoes, which was closer to two I think). The boring answer is "they were having trouble", but I'm curious to see what they've been doing that took so much longer.

I have been very patient so far and haven't really minded waiting, but I think this is the first year where I'd actually be pissed off. Just would seem like a joke at this point to not show anything in the September direct. That being said I'm not getting my hopes up and will continue to be patient.
It's interesting that Prime 4 will have taken at least twice as long as any of Retro's previous games, which all had a development cycle of around three years (except Echoes, which was closer to two I think). The boring answer is "they were having trouble", but I'm curious to see what they've been doing that took so much longer.
Eh ... assuming that the game comes out in early 2024, that would be ~5 years and some change since pre-production started. That doesn't necessarily indicate to me development problems or an increased scope, because that's how modern game development tends to work in general. I think based off how many models / textures / weapons / areas there are in the original series, as well as the fact that these aren't exactly short games (15-20h, not long but not short either), Prime seems like a series that unfortunately would balloon in development time and cost pretty significantly with the move to HD. It's not like if say, Pushmo moved to HD.

That being said I do expect an increased scope myself.

Nice to see Dread has officially made it over the 3m mark!
Yes!!!! Talent won!!

Surely I hoped for its legs to have been better (tbh I even had the innocent thought that it was miswritten from 3.4m), but 3 million for a 2D game at full price and from a niche series is in no way not a huge success.

It's one of the best games of all time and it saves my life, it deserves high sales, recognition and I can't wait to see a sequel!!!

(Inb4 "the sequel to Metroid Dread is now in development" in the Switch 2 presentation video)

Been replaying Dread and the Chozo language still blows me away, might just have to go down the rabbit hole of analysis videos

Been replaying Dread and the Chozo language still blows me away, might just have to go down the rabbit hole of analysis videos
The Thoha, Mawkin, and whichever tribe were on Tallon IV all use different characters in their written language. Realizing that gave me a feeling of lore resonance on a massive level.

Check this out if you're interested in the Chozo language:

The Thoha, Mawkin, and whichever tribe were on Tallon IV all use different characters in their written language. Realizing that gave me a feeling of lore resonance on a massive level.

Check this out if you're interested in the Chozo language:

That is incredible, kinda want to print it out and go through it as a proper workbook xD

Of course it's Oats. Of course. Good for him!

If people would prefer I quit bumping this thread with tweets, let me know, but I always see cool or cute stuff I can't help but wanna share here, lol. 🥲

I like that we have a happy anniversary this year. I remember some past years where people would draw Samus sitting alone with only the Metroid keeping her company lol.

Posted this in the general thread last night, but may as well post it here too. I dig the look of this new Samus figure! I just kinda wish they'd quit with the Varia Suit, tbh. Link's modern design is reflected here, but Samus is still looking as she did many years ago, despite Dread giving the Power / Varia / Gravity Suits some cool newer designs, and despite the myriad of other suits she's sported in past games.

7 months since first posting about it, I finally found this figure out in the wild the other day, amidst those depressing Walmart shelves:
Initially, it looked like they didn't have any. All I saw were a bunch of Mario figures and a Link. There was a Samus way off to the side by herself, and another one behind a bunch of Mario jobbers I had to move outta the way, but I brought home the GOAT! One for me, and one I'm mailing to a friend as a gift.

(I do still wish they'd give the Prime 2 Varia Suit a break for a bit, though. They should embrace her new looks from Dread!)

Has anyone played Prime on Hard? Do you guys think it's worth it to play Metroid Prime Remastered on Hard? I want to do a replay already but and want some challenge but I also feel like a hard mode for this game might just be tedious
Unless you really want to 100% the gallery, don't bother. It's not that much more difficult and a lot of the bosses just become endurance tests (the last two were particularly insufferable).

Back
Top Bottom