• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Metroid Prime remaster/remake planned for 2022 (UPDATE: new rumor from Jeff Grubb, see threadmarks)

Very disappointing game to play in 2021, but I suppose it was more about the multiplayer, to be fair.
Even for its time it was exceedingly mediocre, but I can't imagine how poorly it has aged now. Bless you.

The only thing about Hunters I liked was that ending cutscene where Gorea spears all the other hunters through the chest and chugs them like juice boxes. (They survive that apparently... Lol. Lmao.)

Even for its time it was exceedingly mediocre, but I can't imagine how poorly it has aged now. Bless you.

The only thing about Hunters I liked was that ending cutscene where Gorea spears all the other hunters through the chest and chugs them like juice boxes. (They survive that apparently... Lol. Lmao.)
That honestly sounds pretty dope, lmao. The other hunters were such paper-thin nobodies, I was super bummed. I thought the game would go more into their lore, treating them as actual characters, as opposed to just interchangeable invaders / multiplayer skins. Even Sylux is a nothing character! I didn't even get to Gorea, admittedly. I think I still needed one or two artifacts to open the door, and then bailed out, at that point. I'll go back and properly finish it soon enough, but I'm not exactly in a hurry to do so, per se. 😬 😂

Hunters was really one of a couple remaining kusoge I told myself I'd suffer through, for the lore / just being a Metroid fan, if nothing else. Federation Force is the other I still need to play.

That honestly sounds pretty dope, lmao. The other hunters were such paper-thin nobodies, I was super bummed. I thought the game would go more into their lore, treating them as actual characters, as opposed to just interchangeable invaders / multiplayer skins. Even Sylux is a nothing character! I didn't even get to Gorea, admittedly. I think I still needed one or two artifacts to open the door, and then bailed out, at that point. I'll go back and properly finish it soon enough, but I'm not exactly in a hurry to do so, per se. 😬 😂

Hunters was really one of a couple remaining kusoge I told myself I'd suffer through, for the lore / just being a Metroid fan, if nothing else. Federation Force is the other I still need to play.
Oh, I just assumed you finished it... Ah well. Honestly, just look up the cutscenes on YouTube at this point. You're not missing much. 😅

I haven't played Federation Force either. I watched some gameplay and then was perfectly content just googling the ending in case it was important. Which, I guess if Prime 4 is about Sylux it will be, but... Big meh. That game is just goofy.

Oh, I just assumed you finished it... Ah well. Honestly, just look up the cutscenes on YouTube at this point. You're not missing much. 😅

I haven't played Federation Force either. I watched some gameplay and then was perfectly content just googling the ending in case it was important. Which, I guess if Prime 4 is about Sylux it will be, but... Big meh. That game is just goofy.
Best thing Prime 4 can do is turn Sylux into an actual character. He's more or less a blank slate they're working with, so that's good, at least! Make all these years waiting (since the tease at the end of Prime 3) worth it.

This is actually a pretty understandable take, especially if you were coming straight off Prime 1 and expected more of the same. In hindsight I notice a lot of people tend to praise the hub structure of Prime 2 as reducing a lot of the confusing backtracking, but if you were expecting to need to constantly revisit previous areas a la Prime 1 in a more open format, I can see why you'd be lost as it's not super well sign-posted that it isn't necessary to go any further back than the Great Temple (at least until the key hunt)
It's actually the opposite - by the time I got to Torvus Bog, backtracking even as far as the Temple Grounds for required items had simply left my mind. I was no longer expecting to have to go back at all, and the fact that you only do so twice before the key hunt (once from the Bog to the Temple for the Seeker Launcher, and once from the Fortress to the Bog for power bombs) is what did me in. I was searching all over Torvus Bog and (and then Sanctuary Fortress the second time) because I assumed the answer would be there.

Had I played more Metroid games at the time, I might've thought to go back a little more naturally. But I was never thinking about it during Prime 2 due to how rare it is, and the few times you do have to are poorly sign-posted. The upgrades preceding the seeker launcher and power bomb don't loop you back to prior areas, you just have to realize you're stuck and turn back... which didn't work very well when I was getting stuck throughout the game by just missing an observation here and there lol. Those two times felt like every other time I was wandering around trying to figure out what I'd missed, there was nothing indicating I just had to leave.

It's actually the opposite - by the time I got to Torvus Bog, backtracking even as far as the Temple Grounds for required items had simply left my mind. I was no longer expecting to have to go back at all, and the fact that you only do so twice before the key hunt (once from the Bog to the Temple for the Seeker Launcher, and once from the Fortress to the Bog for power bombs) is what did me in. I was searching all over Torvus Bog and (and then Sanctuary Fortress the second time) because I assumed the answer would be there.

Had I played more Metroid games at the time, I might've thought to go back a little more naturally. But I was never thinking about it during Prime 2 due to how rare it is, and the few times you do have to are poorly sign-posted. The upgrades preceding the seeker launcher and power bomb don't loop you back to prior areas, you just have to realize you're stuck and turn back... which didn't work very well when I was getting stuck throughout the game by just missing an observation here and there lol. Those two times felt like every other time I was wandering around trying to figure out what I'd missed, there was nothing indicating I just had to leave.
Ahhhh, I see. Yeah, those two times in particular without the hint system on the map (blah blah blah disturbance detected or whatever) I don't think I would have had any clue where to go, either. And you mentioned you turn that off, right?

I imagine Retro didn't anticipate many people to do that and leaned too heavily on that system as a guide. I've just never turned it off and experienced how it would be communicated without it. In all honesty, they could have added some small shortcuts between temples to facilitate that sort of organic guidance to your next objective, like with the elevators in Prime 1 as you mentioned. (Or the external airlocks between sectors in Fusion, though those are pretty much exclusively there to speed up a 100% run)

Ahhhh, I see. Yeah, those two times in particular without the hint system on the map (blah blah blah disturbance detected or whatever) I don't think I would have had any clue where to go, either. And you mentioned you turn that off, right?

I imagine Retro didn't anticipate many people to do that and leaned too heavily on that system as a guide. I've just never turned it off and experienced how it would be communicated without it. In all honesty, they could have added some small shortcuts between temples to facilitate that sort of organic guidance to your next objective, like with the elevators in Prime 1 as you mentioned. (Or the external airlocks between sectors in Fusion, though those are pretty much exclusively there to speed up a 100% run)
Correct. And to an extent, I actually don't mind and even enjoy wandering at times (which is why I turn the hint system off); it's just when it drags on too long - like when I've misjudged the scope of the area I need to double check - that it gets frustrating. Prime 1 was better about this, and even when its invisible guiding force did fail (they always inevitably will), at least it hadn't led me to believe the answer was somewhere it wasn't.

That's enough negativity about a great game, though.

I think that we have to look at the drought after Prime 4, with Dread out Metroid will have litterally nothing for years(maybe Prime 4 dlcs?)

So Nintendo needs Prime 2 and 3 to at least cover them until Metroid 6

Maybe Mercury can do a "fast" Fusion Remake

Honestly, I don't know if I need Prime remaster. Yeah, it's cool that a game can look better, but Prime is pretty timeless. If they add more unlockables and maybe expand the map somewhat I'll be interested, but I'm afraid it's gonna be a 60bux straight-port with HD visuals. Can't really afford to waste money on games I've already played right now, especially ones that are about 6 hours long if you know what you're doing.

This is kind of the same as some feel for RE4 remake, but at least RE series is known for post-game bonuses. They can just add ridiculous weapons and costumes to unlock, and I wish more games did that.

I think a from the ground up deal with remade assets would greatly benefit Prime. Someone mentioned a Demon's Souls-style upgrade. I'd be down for that.

But a more "simple" remaster, I don't know. I think the AA on Prime is good for what it is, it was different with Skyward Sword who looked like it had a pixel filter.

Prime 1 and 2 are both classics in their own right, though for me Prime 1 pips it due to the impact it had on me personally. Also the only thing knocking Prime 2 down a peg for me was the Dark Aether sections got tiresome after a little while. I do feel Prime 3 gets an unfair rep as well because it's also a phenomenal game, but I feel it suffers from Skyward Sword sydrome in which people just don't give it a chance due to motion controls + the previous formula was beginning to wear thin a bit.

Interesting that the rumblings are only 1 is getting the full remaster treatment and then they're releasing 2 and 3 down the line but just uprezzed. Maybe it's just a case of Nintendo wanting people to have access to the full story before 4 comes up (plus earning them some cheddar cheese in the process). But I'm game for seeing Talon IV with modern(ish) tech, it would look stunning with the art design of the first game.

I will believe it when I see it, but damn this year is already stacked with 2023 looking just as good potentially. Prime collection would just be the icing on the cake, and signify that Prime 4 could be nearing completion.

Unless of course this is Prime 1 alone, and they plan to slowly release them one by one...in which case 4 might still be a ways out.

My assumption for a while now has been that we'll get 1-4-2-3. While that's not really the sensical order, it's not particularly important for these games. I actually rather doubt both 2 and 3 will come next year regardless of when 4 is ready, as if they've been in production it hasn't been for very long based on rumors from late last year.

Personally, I'm expecting 1-4-2 to go 2022-2023-2024, with 3 coming out anywhere from 2024 to 2026 depending on when 2/3 enter production and how they do it. If they're made at the same time, I could see both in 2024 - especially if they're more simple upscales and potentially sold together. But if they're one after the other, I'd expect 2 to wrap up some time* in 2023 or even 2024 depending on when it starts, and that might just not be enough time to get 3 out the next year. For reference, the CEO of Tantalus claimed that Skyward Sword HD took a year and a half, and it wasn't entirely clear in context if that was the entire development time or a subset (he was talking about how difficult it was to get the controls right just prior). Metroid Prime 2 could likely be done faster than that, but 3 has similar control issues to explore. (As an aside, I'd hope Tantalus is asked to do 2/3 if Retro's not doing them.)

*If 2 wraps up in 2023, I could see a scenario in which it releases then and Prime 4 isn't until 2024. But whenever 4's done, the other games will be moved around it, not the other way around.
I could see that happening. When Prime 4 is ready, they should focus on that instead of waiting for 2/3. 1 and 4 have certainly been in dev longer than the others.

The default assumption for Prime 4 is that at any given moment, it's very far away. Some, myself included, seem to use the new talks on 2/3 as evidence for that. That was probably a bit misguided of me, haha. They could very well do 1-4-2-3 like you suggested.

The reality is we're getting closer every day, and we're certainly closer than when it was restarted in 2019. I like to think that we will -- at the very least least -- see the game by the end of next year.

I could see that happening. When Prime 4 is ready, they should focus on that instead of waiting for 2/3. 1 and 4 have certainly been in dev longer than the others.

The default assumption for Prime 4 is that at any given moment, it's very far away. Some, myself included, seem to use the new talks on 2/3 as evidence for that. That was probably a bit misguided of me, haha. They could very well do 1-4-2-3 like you suggested.

The reality is we're getting closer every day, and we're certainly closer than when it was restarted in 2019. I like to think that we will -- at the very least least -- see the game by the end of next year.
Personally, I've been saying that they'll avoid doing the whole 'Prime 4 is going great!' song and dance again by revealing it directly before Prime Remaster. But we'll see soon enough, I suppose.

Personally, I've been saying that they'll avoid doing the whole 'Prime 4 is going great!' song and dance again by revealing it directly before Prime Remaster. But we'll see soon enough, I suppose.
Yeah, I've always been of the belief that they'd at the very least give a title and teaser for Prime 4 at the same time as the remaster, but we'll see.

I think that we have to look at the drought after Prime 4, with Dread out Metroid will have litterally nothing for years(maybe Prime 4 dlcs?)

So Nintendo needs Prime 2 and 3 to at least cover them until Metroid 6

Maybe Mercury can do a "fast" Fusion Remake
If Nintendo decides to do more GBA remakes like Advance Wars then I'm sure Fusion will be at the top of the list. I'd love to get Zero Mission as well.

I hope that if they sell the Prime Remakester separately they at least bundle Echoes and Corruption if they’re just remastering them.

Who hates 3? It's a spectacular game. Just not generally considered the series best. Blame Retro for making such damn good games.
this thread. it's better than 2. I can attest to this. I love 3 so much.
But they are also available digitally on the WiiU!
i've yet to see someone owning a wii u either
i know many people who owned dreamcasts, gamecubes, but no wii us

Oh you referring to IRL? Cause I imagine the vast majority of users here owned a WiiU at some point.

That's funny though, cause I had quite a few friends that had a WiiU. But Dreamcast.... Even to this day I don't know anyone who owns a physical Dreamcast except for my brother. And I bought it for him as Christmas gift lol

Oh you referring to IRL? Cause I imagine the vast majority of users here owned a WiiU at some point.

That's funny though, cause I had quite a few friends that had a WiiU. But Dreamcast.... Even to this day I don't know anyone who owns a physical Dreamcast except for my brother. And I bought it for him as Christmas gift lol
I mean, it has to be IRL, I don't know anyone here to share the Trilogy with me LMAO

The Dreamcast cult around me IRL was insane, you'd think it was a successful console lmao

My question for now is, when they announce Prime 1 HD, do we get a tease of 4? Do we get an announcement of Echoes and/or Corruption? Does Nintendo just say shut up and enjoy this game?
I would like to think so, because they already pulled the "we're still working on Prime 4" with Dread's announcement. But this is Nintendo we're talking about, so I could easily see them not talking about it because reasons.

My question for now is, when they announce Prime 1 HD, do we get a tease of 4? Do we get an announcement of Echoes and/or Corruption? Does Nintendo just say shut up and enjoy this game?
That's a great question.

I feel like if it's announced in a General Direct, it's gotta come attached to something for MP4, right?

But mini or twitter drop? Seems doubtful.

It depends on how Metroid Prime Remaster is announced. In a General Direct I say 100% as we get closer and closer. If it’s in a Mini Direct then no.

I don't think they can reveal Prime 1 without acknowledging Prime 4. That doesn't necessarily mean a tease or reveal or anything, it could just be the old "development is progressing well". But hopefully it's more than that.

I think I would have enjoyed 3 much more if the internet didn't give me bad advice on how to play it. Around release everybody was pretty insistent that the harder difficulty option was the way to go, but it just seemed to increase the amount of damage enemies could take. Every mook took like three or four times as many shots to kill as it felt like it should have - it was so, so tedious. I'm guessing the idea is to get the player to make more use of Hypermode, but I never found that very interesting at all. It was just 'combat is ugly now' mode.

I have the steel book version of Prime trilogy. 😎
Same! One of my prized possessions.

I also have a Wii U and that definitely is not one of them. Lmao.

As far as the discussion around 3 - I don't hate it. It's definitely my least favorite Prime but it's still a very good game. Just feels like Retro was trying too many things and not many were fully fleshed out. Some highlights for me were the Valhalla and the labs in Elysia. But in general, I'd much rather get stuck into 1 fully fleshed-out world than several shallow ones. Also not a big fan of Samus having a broad supporting cast - if there have to be other characters, I think they should be fewer, more consequential and more deeply explored.

Lots of the concept art that's unlockable for 3 looks AWESOME but very little of it made it into the final product.

The music also seemed like it tended more orchestral and that's just not really to my taste.

Calling it now: it will release November 18, 2022. The original released November 17th 2002, so this puts it at as close to the 20th anniversary as possible.

Calling it now: it will release November 18, 2022. The original released November 17th 2002, so this puts it at as close to the 20th anniversary as possible.
That's the exact same date of Pokemon S/V launch, it will need to be two weeks earlier/later for sure

That's the exact same date of Pokemon S/V launch, it will need to be two weeks earlier/later for sure
oh whoops lmao

You can scratch that theory then. I mean I guess they could release both on the same day since those series probably don't have a huge amount of overlap, but yeah, that wouldn't make a lot of sense.

oh whoops lmao

You can scratch that theory then. I mean I guess they could release both on the same day since those series probably don't have a huge amount of overlap, but yeah, that wouldn't make a lot of sense.
It's more about Nintendo wanting to focus their marketing resources in both games, splitting them would only hurt each game sales (especially Metroid ones) than a big overlap existing between audiences

To me—-

Prime = Prime 2 >>>>>>>Prime 3

That's pretty much how I feel. Prime 1 and 2 trade blows, each being better in certain ways than the other. Prime 3 is a good game, but very easily the worst of the bunch.
Yeah, almost. First one is still better in my opinion. The amount of new it brought.

While the second is a great game, it was less ambitious/fresh,
did not bring a lot of refinement. I found the dark/light gimick kind of... meh (nintendos go to).
And i did not like the structure (fellt less naturalistic and as some mentioned more hub like).

MP3...only played it shortly. Yeah, not a fan of more narative, the overall structure, and by that point i felt the whole design did lean to much into Halo.

I honestly hope that Prime 4 reduces the characters and tried to stay on 1 planet.

Metroid Prime 2 is the best of the three, period. Stunning environments, less classic than Prime 1, incredible sense of adventure, good lore, backtracking is smooth. To me, it's a perfect videogame.

I just love the lore that Metroid Prime 3 bestowed upon us. Rundas, Ghor, and Gandrayda all being different hunters belonging to various species (each with a respectable level of characterization, unlike the hunters from... well, Hunters), Samus interacting with some of the Federation grunts (and Admiral Dane), the Aurora Units being an interesting concept (keeping with the series's brain motif), Bryyo's backstory of a civilization ravaged by the conflict between science, and the old ways, the implication that the Chozo from Elysia were the ones that eventually settled Tallon IV... the list goes on. It really is a great game.

the Aurora Units being an interesting concept (keeping with the series's brain motif)
I do really like the implication that they were the best reverse-engineer job that the Federation could do with what they knew of Mother Brain and other Chozo supercomputers (since Dread also seems to reinforce that with the mini-versions serving as some kind of node or command and control for each EMMI)

I'm always a fan of the Federation sticking their noses where they don't belong and creating things that skirt ethics or that they don't fully understand. Feels very Weyland-Yutani and Metroid was always heavily based on Alien.

I do really like the implication that they were the best reverse-engineer job that the Federation could do with what they knew of Mother Brain and other Chozo supercomputers (since Dread also seems to reinforce that with the mini-versions serving as some kind of node or command and control for each EMMI)

I'm always a fan of the Federation sticking their noses where they don't belong and creating things that skirt ethics or that they don't fully understand. Feels very Weyland-Yutani and Metroid was always heavily based on Alien.
Yeah, I loved seeing those miniature brain defense systems (Central Units) in Dread. Super cool cohesion with Mother Brain, especially with those same ring and turret attacks. Samus draining each one of its energy for the Omega Cannon is also just a really neat callback to the infant Metroid, and Super's Mother Brain fight, as a whole. As you've said, I dig the idea that the Federation ended up effectively reverse engineering MB for their own designs. Although the AUs aren't inherently malicious, narratively, they serve to underscore the Federation's desire to appropriate the function of pretty much any enemy they can, which is consistent with their characterization across the rest of the series, as well.

Regarding Alien / Weyland-Yutani, you're right, and even though I've been a Metroid fan my whole life, it really took way too long until I finally watched it. It holds up exceptionally well, obviously. In the end, I think I still prefer The Thing, but they're both top class. Haven't seen Aliens yet, so I should probably get around to that soon. I did play Alien: Isolation, which was a memorable, worthwhile experience, as well. My dream game is a high-budget 3D remake of Fusion with an especially pronounced emphasis on horror, and Xenomorph / Mr. X tier stalker mechanics, for the SA-X (as opposed to the highly scripted nature of its original implementation). Alas, that likely isn't ever gonna manifest, but I can dream!

Back
Top Bottom