• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Site Event Metroid Prime and Fusion 20th Anniversary Event (ENDED)

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Part two of the trilogy is in the bag. This was the first time I played the game. I can understand why some people look at it as divisive, but for the most part I enjoyed the game. It was definitely a harder experience compared to the first game. The bosses were difficult, but it wasn't that bad because you would constantly heal with the light areas. That second to final boss was a real PITA! The game felt like it dragged on just a hair, but still a heck of a follow up to Prime 1. TIme for some picks.

XIYZpBe.jpg

OrA4Zb3.jpg

iWZNx6b.jpg

No rest for the weiry though. I only have 9 days to play Prime 3!

@IronTed, you're a true bounty hunter! Wow! Super well done. You're now the top badge and Energy Tank earner in the event (with Illusionary and Brock Reiher close behind). Please go back for E.M.M.I. Embarrassment too, when you get the chance. I want to be able to award at least one person the Metroid Matriarch badge before the event's conclusion, lol.

Admiral Dane-san is one of the few good men in the whole of the Galactic Federation. Him, and Anthony Higgs. Bless 'em both.

I'm gonna be honest here: Maridia is low key poop! Just felt like saying so. It's not all bad, and there's still some good level design to be found within, but it's easily my least favorite area in Super Metroid. It doesn't help that the evocative water theme is replaced by a fairly mid one, as you make your way through the level. The overall SM OST is iconic, obviously, but the latter Maridia theme is probably my least favorite track. Maybe Prime 4 will do something cool with it, being that it (in addition to the first Maridia theme, and the second Crateria one) has yet to be featured in any other Metroid game.

Thanks! Yeah, being 1 badge away changes things for sure. I'll load up another file this week and try to go for it. Never been great at parrying but a week should be enough.

I meant to say this before, but a big thank-you to you and everyone who's helped set up this event. Haven't ever seen something like this before, but it's really awesome!

I’ll post the screens tomorrow probably, but Super Metroid is done! I did manage to get through without looking things up this time, which is great, but it also meant that I missed a lot of missiles and energy tanks, which was bad when I got to Ridley and Mother Brain. I just did not have enough ammo for those two. I had to learn their attack patterns, strategically use my missiles, and finally finish them off with charge shots. I didn’t save scum, but I did make save states outside boss rooms. If you call that cheating, then I guess I cheated!

Hopefully I have enough time to get through Metroid Fusion before the event ends. I wanted to go through Dread again, but there won’t be time. Heck, I’ll play it again anyway, event or no! I probably won’t do Zero Mission or Samus Returns this time around though.

@Aurc I did it! Honestly it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. I apologize in advance for the rather poor video quality, but for the life of me I can't properly send the entire clip to my phone, so this will have to do.

E.M.M.I. Embarrassment

Notice of New Rule 1/9/23
Notice of New Rule

With the event soon coming to a close, I'm implementing a new rule, for everyone's convenience: if you're still in the process of making your way through one of the games when the event ends on the 17th, you can go ahead and complete it, and still earn the relevant badges! No need to feel rushed. This thread will be unpinned on the 17th, but shall remain open for a bit afterwards. Not solely to afford everyone the time to properly close out their participation, but also because we still have a raffle to conduct!

And here's the next update after completion.

Rescue Ranger: Animals saved! Not the easiest picture to get while on the timer.
nlEdEPJl.jpeg

Baby's Cry: And getting the heck out! Operation completed!
PWH3xJHl.jpg

Next up:
+Ridley has been Ravaged! 1x Prime, 1x Super, and now 1x Returns

And also as a consequence of clearing the game:
+SR388 Surveyor
+Aeion Anniversary
+Look at Me, I'm the Mother Now

I did not get anywhere close to item completion I think I was literally at 50%.

Gr1tnzbl.jpg

Prime is already at endgame just need to finish it off, and Dread has progress to report too but I'll get to those next time

Last edited:
I HAVE DEFEATED EMPEROR ING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats on defeatING that clown! Well done, Josh!
I meant to say this before, but a big thank-you to you and everyone who's helped set up this event. Haven't ever seen something like this before, but it's really awesome!
You're very welcome! Thanks for participating, and being the first (and probably only!) one to achieve Metroid Matriarch! Really glad at least one person managed it, lol.
I didn’t save scum, but I did make save states outside boss rooms. If you call that cheating, then I guess I cheated!
Outside of boss rooms is fair game, in my book! It's not like save states provide you with any sort of unfair advantage in the fight itself, they merely save you the time of having to load a save, and run all the way back. I only refrain (hi Derachi) from using save states in the middle of a boss fight, since that's cheesy, imo (but still not against the rules of the event). I prefer to take the boss from 100% health, to 0% within a single, unbroken attempt.

Notice of New Rule

With the event soon coming to a close, I'm implementing a new rule, for everyone's convenience: if you're still in the process of making your way through one of the games when the event ends on the 17th, you can go ahead and complete it, and still earn the relevant badges! No need to feel rushed. This thread will be unpinned on the 17th, but shall remain open for a bit afterwards. Not solely to afford everyone the time to properly close out their participation, but also because we still have a raffle to conduct!
Hell yeah. Started all but prime 2, that what I'm playing this week 😎

Novus campaign in Metroid Planets finished! Knocked this one out relatively quick, as I'd previously cleared it a few times. Fantastic experience, as always.

Planets Pathfinder, Planets Pinnacle, Planets Perfectionist:

Just wrapped up Samus Returns 100% Completion. This was my third time completing the game and second time going for 100%. It had been quite a while since I played this so the experience was fairly fresh for me. Overall I enjoyed it a lot, and despite some flaws it was a return to form that the Metroid series desperately need after Other M, the long hiatus, and Federation Force.

Positives:
-We have three great takes on my favorite game in the original trilogy
-3D effect is awesome with a great depth to it and really helps make the world feel alive
-Best application of Spiderball in any Metroid game
-Diggernaut bossfight is awesome
-Ridley bossfight is thrilling, and excellent mechanically and creatively
-Zeta and Omega Metroids are fun to fight
-The bumpin remix of SR288 surface is a certified bop, as is the bumpin Area 7 music
-Area 3 is fantastically recreated, with sublime sound design and music reminiscent of OG M2
-Area 5 is also strikingly recreated with a more soothing tone, yet still full of danger
-Areas 7&8 are also recreated beautifully with awesome audiovisual design
-The Baby is awesome here

Negatives:
-Scan pulse nerfs the game and ruins the joy of exploration. Luckily it can be ignored
-Enemy variety is severely lacking
-Counter move is overused, and what limited enemies there are you mostly dispose of the same way
-Reused sound effects from the Prime series are immersion breaking for me and reflect the game's budget
-Metroids get tedious to fight, especially the multi-room ones you keep having to chase down
-Lava drained purple areas are a slog to get through
-The game too long for what it is, they could have trimmed the fat a bit
-The Ridley fight at the end really makes no sense and messes up the cannon

Links to screenshots:
https://ibb.co/NnLTvHT
https://ibb.co/4K1wH7C

That's weird this game doesn't tell you your item clear % when you beat it. Third save file is the current one, you can see the time basically matches up with the clear time (your save file reverts back to the save before you fight the final boss.)

I think I should get the following badges for this, correct me if I'm wrong:
-Zebesian Zoomer
-SR388 Surveyor
-Aeion Anniversary
-Look at Me, I’m the Mother Now
-Thoha Tennacity
-Rodney’s Resilience

Last edited:
Just wrapped up Samus Returns 100% Completion. This was my third time completing the game and second time going for 100%. It had been quite a while since I played this so the experience was fairly fresh for me. Overall I enjoyed it a lot, and despite some flaws it was a return to form that the Metroid series desperately need after Other M, the long hiatus, and Federation Force.

Positives:
-We have three great takes on my favorite game in the original trilogy
-3D effect is awesome with a great depth to it and really helps make the world feel alive
-Best application of Spiderball in any Metroid game
-Diggernaut bossfight is awesome
-Ridley bossfight is thrilling, and excellent mechanically and creatively
-Zeta and Omega Metroids are fun to fight
-The bumpin remix of SR288 surface is a certified bop, as is the bumpin Area 7 music
-Area 3 is fantastically recreated, with sublime sound design and music reminiscent of OG M2
-Area 5 is also strikingly recreated with a more soothing tone, yet still full of danger
-Areas 7&8 are also recreated beautifully with awesome audiovisual design
-The Baby is awesome here

Negatives:
-Scan pulse nerfs the game and ruins the joy of exploration. Luckily it can be ignored
-Enemy variety is severely lacking
-Counter move is overused, and what limited enemies there are you mostly dispose of the same way
-Reused sound effects from the Prime series are immersion breaking for me and reflect the game's budget
-Metroids get tedious to fight, especially the multi-room ones you keep having to chase down
-Lava drained purple areas are a slog to get through
-The game too long for what it is, they could have trimmed the fat a bit
-The Ridley fight at the end really makes no sense and messes up the cannon

I want to post my pictures but I'm having trouble. I tried using both imgur and google photos. What image hosting sites can we use here? Thanks!
First, great job with the playthrough!

Second, I’ve been using imgbb for hosting. Seems to work well.

Third, you’re a damn liar - the Diggernaught fight is a horrid abomination, at least in my recollection. It’s right up there with Nightmare as far as hardest fights in the series goes.

Speaking of Nightmare, I’m about to take it on in Fusion. God help me.

Third, you’re a damn liar - the Diggernaught fight is a horrid abomination, at least in my recollection. It’s right up there with Nightmare as far as hardest fights in the series goes.

1. Thanks, I wish I could have participated more with this event but I just did a whole series playthrough before Dread's release with the exception of SR.

2. I'm still getting error messages. Would it be ok if I just post the link to the image?

3. Yeah, it's a tough one, as is Nightmare. I like both fights a lot. The Nightmare fights in Other M were actually pretty good too I thought.

4. Still my favorite 2D Metroid game. Good luck, you can do it!

1. Thanks, I wish I could have participated more with this event but I just did a whole series playthrough before Dread's release with the exception of SR.

2. I'm still getting error messages. Would it be ok if I just post the link to the image?

3. Yeah, it's a tough one, as is Nightmare. I like both fights a lot. The Nightmare fights in Other M were actually pretty good too I thought.

4. Still my favorite 2D Metroid game. Good luck, you can do it!
Links to your screenshots is perfectly acceptable! Sorry you’re having a hard time with the pictures 😧

And down goes Nightmare!

Even knowing how the fight works and the right strategy to win, this thing is an absolute nightmare to fight. Its hit box is massive, phase one takes way too long and is trivial, and in phase two it’s basically random when and how it will stop circling and you better hope it’s at the right height for you to blast it to smithereens.

Definitely not my favorite Metroid boss.

I have owned a copy of the Wii Trilogy (SteelBook!) for years, but don't have a Wii U. These games look so amazing in videos!

@Aurc Backlog of screenshots!

Crateria Commuter said:

Rescue Ranger said:

Baby’s Cry said:

B.S.L. Blastoff said:

Fusion Fearless said:

Ridley Ravager said:

Funny thing about that Fusion Ridley screenshot - I forgot about the Core X, and it killed me while I was taking the picture. I had to do the fight again 😅 At least Ridley X is the easiest Ridley fight in the whole series!

EDIT: added the Super clear time screenshot

Last edited:
Also just wrapped up a 100% run of Samus Returns, first replay since it originally came out. Playing after Dread was an interesting experience, SR was really a rough draft of what Dread would ultimately accomplish. Overall the world is far too big for the enemy variety the game has, and the areas feel way more like a video game levels and not an actual explorable planet. The way the game is built also made going for 100% a bit annoying but it didn't take too long in the grand scheme of things. Good boss fights though, expect for the Metroids that run away, not sure what they were thinking there.

Busted out the dumb amiibo for these photos. I knew they would eventually come in handy

SR388 Surveyor/Aeion Anniversary/Look at Me, I'm the Mother Now
PUCBnfn.jpg

Thoha Tenacity
XyHNuYO.jpg

I started up Dread and man does it feel good to be playing this game again.

For giggles I tried to do the EMMI counters on the tutorial EMMI, and got two in a row on my very first try! I saved the clip and was about to move on, but I wondered if instead of me being incredibly skilled/lucky, maybe the tutorial EMMI couldn’t actually kill you. So I went back and tried to counter it one more time, and that time I messed up the timing and it got me. I figured that badge was gonna be impossible. Talk about beginner’s luck I guess.

Now I gotta figure out a way to upload the clip. I deleted my Twitter account a couple months ago thanks to the Musk drama, but maybe I’ll make a new account just for Switch clips or something I donno.

I started up Dread and man does it feel good to be playing this game again.

For giggles I tried to do the EMMI counters on the tutorial EMMI, and got two in a row on my very first try! I saved the clip and was about to move on, but I wondered if instead of me being incredibly skilled/lucky, maybe the tutorial EMMI couldn’t actually kill you. So I went back and tried to counter it one more time, and that time I messed up the timing and it got me. I figured that badge was gonna be impossible. Talk about beginner’s luck I guess.

Now I gotta figure out a way to upload the clip. I deleted my Twitter account a couple months ago thanks to the Musk drama, but maybe I’ll make a new account just for Switch clips or something I donno.
To get the clip off the Switch, you can link a smartphone to your Switch (via the gallery) and transfer it to that.

And congrats! Would I be right to think that the tutorial counter that always succeeds can't count as one of the required two?

To get the clip off the Switch, you can link a smartphone to your Switch (via the gallery) and transfer it to that.

And congrats! Would I be right to think that the tutorial counter that always succeeds can't count as one of the required two?
So what I did was I did the tutorial counter, then slid under the EMMI and ran into the next room. Waited for it to follow me into the room, then countered it twice. Incredible luck.

So what I did was I did the tutorial counter, then slid under the EMMI and ran into the next room. Waited for it to follow me into the room, then countered it twice. Incredible luck.
Very much so! You've inspired me to give it another try, but after half an hour of trying I'm not having much success. That said, the badge requirements do just say "counter any E.M.M.I." with no other restrictions, so by rights the tutorial counter ought to count too (which if I can, I can manage)...

I'm probably pushing it, but @Aurc ?

Very much so! You've inspired me to give it another try, but after half an hour of trying I'm not having much success. That said, the badge requirements do just say "counter any E.M.M.I." with no other restrictions, so by rights the tutorial counter ought to count too (which if I can, I can manage)...

I'm probably pushing it, but @Aurc ?
Y'know, that was a complete oversight, on my part! I didn't even factor in the free tutorial counter you're given. 😅

My lack of specificity is your gain. By all means, go ahead and count the tutorial counter as one of the two toward the badge!

Y'know, that was a complete oversight, on my part! I didn't even factor in the free tutorial counter you're given. 😅

My lack of specificity is your gain. By all means, go ahead and count the tutorial counter as one of the two toward the badge!
:D

On another matter entirely - Metroid Planets, is there a Varia suit that I should have found early on? I'm not sure if I've missed it and made my life much harder than it ought to be through sheer stubbornness in the lava.

Last edited:
Another oversight I just noticed: E.M.M.I. Embarrassment doesn't even award an Energy Tank! 🥲 Considering how annoying this badge in particular has the potential to be, that doesn't seem appropriate. Sorry about that, folks. While it's far too late for me to make a change like that now, I'll keep it in mind for the next time we run this event.
On another matter entirely - Metroid Planets, is there a Varia suit that I should have found early on? I'm not sure if I've missed it and made my life much harder than it ought to be through stubbornness in the lava.
The Varia Suit is acquired as a boss reward for defeating classic Kraid in Lower Brinstar. I totally feel you on the lava! I remember the dev saying he designed it so that navigating Brinstar feels slower, and more deliberate, while Norfair is more frantic and panic inducing, pushing you to hurry through lava filled rooms. It's a nice contrast. If you end up having any other questions, feel free to ask away! I've cleared Novus a handful of times now.

Another oversight I just noticed: E.M.M.I. Embarrassment doesn't even award an Energy Tank! 🥲 Considering how annoying this badge in particular has the potential to be, that doesn't seem appropriate. Sorry about that, folks. While it's far too late for me to make a change like that now, I'll keep it in mind for the next time we run this event.

The Varia Suit is acquired as a boss reward for defeating classic Kraid in Lower Brinstar. I totally feel you on the lava! I remember the dev saying he designed it so that navigating Brinstar feels slower, and more deliberate, while Norfair is more frantic and panic inducing, pushing you to hurry through lava filled rooms. It's a nice contrast. If you end up having any other questions, feel free to ask away! I've cleared Novus a handful of times now.
Ah good, I've literally just reached Kraid so I should have the suit imminently (but tomorrow....). Thanks!

Last edited:
How do you just upload a picture from files on my computer? I can't seem to find the option for that.
There isn't an option. You have to upload it to an image sharing site like imgur and then insert the image's url either using the button that looks like a landscape photo or using BBcode (between [img] and [/img] tags). Imgur actually has an option to give you the BBcode links when you upload, too.

There isn't an option. You have to upload it to an image sharing site like imgur and then insert the image's url either using the button that looks like a landscape photo or using BBcode (between [img] and [/img] tags). Imgur actually has an option to give you the BBcode links when you upload, too.
Oh. I'm curious. Any particular reason why this is a thing? Seems like it's a weird extra step just to share pictures.

Oh. I'm curious. Any particular reason why this is a thing? Seems like it's a weird extra step just to share pictures.
Because if images were allowed, the storage space required on the site's server would increase massively, along with the cost to maintain the server. By us simply linking the images, Famiboards' server doesn't actually have to host the files.

Because if images were allowed, the storage space required on the site's server would increase massively, along with the cost to maintain the server. By us simply linking the images, Famiboards' server doesn't actually have to host the files.
Gotcha. That makes sense.

Oh yeah, I still need to upload photos for my NES Metroid badges. The deadline's coming up!

And that's Metroid Planets done, just in time. Given some of the tech-y bomb jumps needed here, I'm rather glad that shinesparks haven't been implemented here! All in all, a very impressive fan game and I'm (pleasantly!) surprised that it managed to get to release given Nintendo's aggressive IP-protection.

@Aurc

Planets.png

Hey, awesome stuff, @Illusionary! I told myself that if I could get even one person other than myself to play Metroid Planets, I'd count that as a win, and both you and @VolcanicDynamo have done so! It really is an excellent, top shelf Metroid experience, in my book. Not just as a remake of Metroid 1, but also for the original content that Novus and Enigma consist of. It's not as well-known as AM2R, but it's equally as polished and high quality, which is why I opted to highlight it in this event. I can only hope Nintendo's lawyers stay far, far away, but even if they get up to their usual fuckery, there's not much they can do, other than halt future development. That'd still be unfortunate, to be sure, but like AM2R, when it's out there on the internet, it's out there for good. There's no legal basis to prevent people other than the original dev from modifying the game and adding content. The community members who've taken to updating AM2R in DoctorM64's stead have done a phenomenal job of carrying the torch, and Nintendo can't touch them, 'cuz all they're doing is making patches.

Hey, awesome stuff, @Illusionary! I told myself that if I could get even one person other than myself to play Metroid Planets, I'd count that as a win, and both you and @VolcanicDynamo have done so! It really is an excellent, top shelf Metroid experience, in my book. Not just as a remake of Metroid 1, but also for the original content that Novus and Enigma consist of. It's not as well-known as AM2R, but it's equally as polished and high quality, which is why I opted to highlight it in this event. I can only hope Nintendo's lawyers stay far, far away, but even if they get up to their usual fuckery, there's not much they can do, other than halt future development. That'd still be unfortunate, to be sure, but like AM2R, when it's out there on the internet, it's out there for good. There's no legal basis to prevent people other than the original dev from modifying the game and adding content. The community members who've taken to updating AM2R in DoctorM64's stead have done a phenomenal job of carrying the torch, and Nintendo can't touch them, 'cuz all they're doing is making patches.
Thanks to you for making me aware of it, as I'd honestly never come across it all until this contest. I still prefer AM2R overall, but Metroid Planets really is impressively full-featured, particularly with the three different campaigns. As you say, with this sort of thing, the internet is a blessing for ensuring that both games will remain accessible in some form, whatever Nintendo might try.

awwwwright catching up on Dread progress. After this I think I just gotta circle back to finish off Prime's final boss and then that's me done.
The below should account for:
-Artaria Ascent
-Dread Domination
-Mawkin Militancy
-Hadar Sen Olmen

u03HPqzl.jpg

Kc0ZWKhl.jpg

no60PU7l.jpg

Diggernaut was the hardest part of Samus Returns for me. At some point I peeked at a guide because my ass was just getting handed to me repeatedly. I got heated.

Tried to replay Metroid Prime 2, already planned to do so anyways and this event made me start for real but man this game is tedious. I've been playing it on and off for a month now and I'm not sure if I have it in me to complete it tomorrow. Not sure if my tolerance for time wasting and poor pacing has just gone down a lot with age but compared to Prime 1 which I replayed not once but twice recently this is a massive drop in quality.

(I'll probably still end up beating it because the music and visuals hold up but this key collecting part at the end really wasn't necessary Retro)

Last edited:
Was already thinking about replaying Zero Mission so I figured I would go for the 100% since that's just kinda how I play games nowadays. Man, that was a true Video Game Experience. I've replayed it a few times over the years but always casually, Dread was actually my only Metroid 100% before this event. I was not aware how friggin' white-knuckle the shinespark puzzles in ZM could be but I had an absolute blast working through it. My completion time was in the trash but wow it felt great to complete.

Anyway, this was a fun event, thanks for creating it. Got me to replay and fully appreciate some of my favorite games but ZM left me fully satisfied on Metroid for a bit. I think I'm going to go play some easy breezy Kirby games now lol

Brinstar Beginnings/Pirate Pacifier/Pray for a True Peace in Space!/Ultimate Warrior
7oKeXbJ.jpg

(My cat is clearly impressed)

My, oh my. January 17th, 2023 seemed so far away when I first posted in this thread stating my intention to finally play Fusion for the first time and knock out the second Dread playthrough. With only a couple days left, I could either target a sub 4 hour run of Dread and spend twice that many hours preparing for it ... or use those same 8ish hours to experience something entirely new.

So I started Fusion today. Let's see how far I'll get.

37m3j1axgdlmagscgsbltxfvw.jpeg

Samus has had pretty cool ships throughout her career, hasn't she?

bosm7ukfy9czihcelaintbcc3.jpeg

My gamepad is exhibiting concerning stutters while playing Fusion. I will attribute it to SA-X messing with the system so as not to lose sleep over the Wii U's health.

Tried to replay Metroid Prime 2, already planned to do so anyways and this event made me start for real but man this game is tedious. I've been playing it on and off for a month now and I'm not sure if I have it in me to complete it tomorrow. Not sure if my tolerance for time wasting and poor pacing has just gone down a lot with age but compared to Prime 1 which I replayed not once but twice recently this is a massive drop in quality.
I've already previously expressed it on the forum a couple times, but yeah... I don't like Prime 2 either. I've only finished it once, and I keep meaning to go back and give it another playthrough, but I just find the light and dark world stuff to be super tedious. I don't dig the portal transition load screens, nor the fact that Dark Aether doesn't do enough to differentiate itself from the normal world. It's still a good game, but just as a matter of personal preference, I wouldn't call it a favorite.

As for having to complete it tomorrow, you wouldn't have to:
Notice of New Rule

This is basically a soft deadline extension, of sorts. I wouldn't want folks starting games after the 17th, as I believe the two month event duration has already proven sufficient, but for those who've been active participants thus far (or simply expressed that they're in the middle of a game, as you have), I think it's only fair to let you folks finish up. I wouldn't want anyone's time investment to go to waste.

Let's give it an extra couple weeks, and say February 1 is the true, definitive end to the event.

Okay, so I got hit with a wave of not wanting to play any Metroid game for a while there, but I'm gonna knock out a quick Super Metroid run, and maybe one other game.

For now, I got Crateria Commuter:
pxl_20230115_22572377emfuy.jpg

I appreciate you zooming in on Bowser and not my extremely dusty Wii U lmao.
Well now you’ve drawn attention to it. Good grief, wipe that poor thing down!

Also, grateful for the extra time @Aurc . I’m halfway through Dread, but I don’t think I’d be able to finish it by Tuesday. I wanna do the boss rush mode too, never played it and it sounds fun.

I'm being cheeky and making a filler post, so the next one ends up at the top of the page!

Back
Top Bottom