• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Site Event Metroid Prime and Fusion 20th Anniversary Event (ENDED)

Deadline Extension 1/15/23
Deadline Extension

As mentioned in post #244, the event's end date has been moved to February 1, and the thread title has been changed to reflect this. This thread will still be unpinned on January 17, as originally planned. Though I originally believed the extra time should perhaps only be afforded to those who currently find themselves in the middle of a Metroid game, I figure it'd be fairer for all if that caveat was omitted. Keep earning those badges as you please, and thanks for your continued participation, everyone!

Deadline Extension

As mentioned in post #244, the event's end date has been moved to February 1, and the thread title has been changed to reflect this. This thread will still be unpinned on January 17, as originally planned. Though I originally believed the extra time should perhaps only be afforded to those who currently find themselves in the middle of a Metroid game, I figure it'd be fairer for all if that caveat was omitted. Keep earning those badges as you please, and thanks for your continued participation, everyone!
Oh cool, I'll definitely knock out one or two more of the 2D games before then.

Well now you’ve drawn attention to it. Good grief, wipe that poor thing down!
Somehow every time I dust in there I forget about it. 😅

Baby's Cry

Craterian Commuter

PXL-20230116-024740653.jpg

You didn’t rescue the animals?! 😱
I actually did save them, but I didn't take a representative picture.

In any case, I think that's it for this event from me. My sibling has my physical copy of Dread and I can't play Prime Trilogy on my Wii U until I fix the wireless chip/antenna in the gamepad.

Fusion has been breezy and educational so far. I'll try to save further comments for later when I've beaten it and read through the whole thread for other's thought, but it's striking how in minor and major ways, both good and bad, you can see the direct line to what came afterwards while retaining the clear connection to what came before it.

After experiencing Dread I appreciate Fusion a lot more than I would have had I played it at any point prior to Dread's release.

This is basically a soft deadline extension, of sorts. I wouldn't want folks starting games after the 17th, as I believe the two month event duration has already proven sufficient, but for those who've been active participants thus far (or simply expressed that they're in the middle of a game, as you have), I think it's only fair to let you folks finish up. I wouldn't want anyone's time investment to go to waste.

Let's give it an extra couple weeks, and say February 1 is the true, definitive end to the event.

Well, there goes my plan to quickly do a boss run in Dread, hunt the first Metroid in Return and blow up Torizo in Super if I feel like I won't have the time to finish Fusion.

Deadline Extension

Well, there goes my plan to kill Corpius, Alpha 1, and Torizo. Back on the table it goes!

Feels like the following screenshot should be worth a badge.

6j9rx0opr6l7ucxpdqhtamcre.jpeg

It's not but ... if you know, you know. And now thanks to Fami's Metroid Prime and Fusion 20th Anniversary Event, I join the rank of those who know.

To quote Yoshi-P: "Nightmare."

I alluded earlier to how Fusion is a straight obvious portend of what was to come for the series, in both the good and bad. The boss fights were already parts of what had given me those feelings. Nightmare finally was a full on déjà vu to being stuck on Experiment No. Z-57 or Raven Beak. At the point of peak frustration, I sleptwalked through the first two phases without taking damage but Phase 3 kept bodying me. Until, in anger and out of ideas, I gave the Ice Missiles a second chance. I tried them before, reasoning that the gravity thingy was turned off, so they'd work again, but they somehow bounced off, so I went back to painstakingly charging up the wave cannon to take single potshots at that ugly mug of my worst dreams. Yet - heureka, wonder and surprise! - second time's the charm and before I knew it I had blasted twenty rockets into Nightmare's face in five seconds when it would have taken me five hours to do the same with the Charge Beam.

Still got a bit of the 17th, the original final day, left, but I'll take a break for now to let the adrenaline calm down and my hands uncramp themselves.

Feels like the following screenshot should be worth a badge.

6j9rx0opr6l7ucxpdqhtamcre.jpeg

It's not but ... if you know, you know. And now thanks to Fami's Metroid Prime and Fusion 20th Anniversary Event, I join the rank of those who know.

To quote Yoshi-P: "Nightmare."

I alluded earlier to how Fusion is a straight obvious portend of what was to come for the series, in both the good and bad. The boss fights were already parts of what had given me those feelings. Nightmare finally was a full on déjà vu to being stuck on Experiment No. Z-57 or Raven Beak. At the point of peak frustration, I sleptwalked through the first two phases without taking damage but Phase 3 kept bodying me. Until, in anger and out of ideas, I gave the Ice Missiles a second chance. I tried them before, reasoning that the gravity thingy was turned off, so they'd work again, but they somehow bounced off, so I went back to painstakingly charging up the wave cannon to take single potshots at that ugly mug of my worst dreams. Yet - heureka, wonder and surprise! - second time's the charm and before I knew it I had blasted twenty rockets into Nightmare's face in five seconds when it would have taken me five hours to do the same with the Charge Beam.

Still got a bit of the 17th, the original final day, left, but I'll take a break for now to let the adrenaline calm down and my hands uncramp themselves.
Hah! I took the exact same screenshot. Having beaten every 2D game in the series, it’s easy to say that Nightmare is the hardest fight in the whole of 2D Metroid. Raven Beak is really hard, Diggernaught and Mecha Ridley are stupid hard, but Nightmare is on another level.

Congrats on beating it!

Hah! I took the exact same screenshot. Having beaten every 2D game in the series, it’s easy to say that Nightmare is the hardest fight in the whole of 2D Metroid. Raven Beak is really hard, Diggernaught and Mecha Ridley are stupid hard, but Nightmare is on another level.

Congrats on beating it!

Funny thing was as soon as I tried the Ice Missiles again, Nightmare went down half a minute later. I got lucky on the first barrage stunlocking it.

Then I went and beat my head against the wall on the Security Robot. Not a hard fight, just tedious. Standing off to the side, squashed up against a door, shooting rockets out of the air, waiting for it to approach and land that diagnoal down jump charged shot at the perfect angle into the robot's vulnerable spot 1 time out of 10 tries. (Turns out I didn't learn about the overhead rail that can be exposed by super bombing the room until it was too late.)

The story sequence afterwards was AWESOME.

Though I must insist Samus Aran is not the type of person who uses "?!?", either in writing or inner monologue or dialogue.

Deadline Extension

Works for me as I started all of the 2D games so I could claim the badges. Have played dread, super, fusion, returns (in some form or fashion to get badges in each) and started zero mission after falling off the NES version. Should have at least one prime image to get that initial badge. Hopefully can post everything today though but might need to split it up.

Gonna be spoilering each image since I don't know how big they'll be

Zero Mission
Brinstar Beginnings
Pirate Pacifier
Pray for a True Peace in Space!
Ultimate Warrior

Metroid II + AM2R
SR388 Surveyor
Aeion Anniversary
Look at Me, I'm the Mother Now
Thoha Tenacity
AM2R Adventurer
AM2R Adept
AM2R All-star

Metroid Fusion
B.S.L Blastoff
Fusion Fearless
Fusion Flawless

Metroid Prime
Tallon Touchdown
Chozo Chronicle EDIT: misread requirements on this one, disregard
Charge Combo Champion
Prime Prophecy

Edit: Hit enter too early hang on
Edit 2: Okay there we go
Edit 3: I forgot about the general medals lmao

General
Zebesian Zoomer
Ridley Ravager (Zero Mission + Fusion + Prime)

E-Tank Milestones
Rodney's Resilience
Virginia's Virtue
Gray Voice's Gallantry
Old Bird's Wisdom

Last edited:
Why did I wait this long? Why didn't I start Fusion on the 18th of November 2022? This game put me in the mood for MORE METROID. I'm tempted to buy Zero Mission right now. Playing Fusion was part of emptying out the Wii U fridge before the eShop expires. Now it may end up adding to it? Terrific little title that felt like Dread Alpha in numerous ways and like Dread Omega in some.

h2hp7eniywiuvxipvohkcni6y.jpeg

5:43 hours and 56% item completion if you must know. I just like this screen better.

IMPORTANT EDIT: where the fuck were the animals in Dread? Why couldn't they have been part of Samus' crew?!? They should have been on the ship!!!

Last edited:
I’m nearly done with Dread, probably 80% there. Z57 went down first try which was cool. I’m really enjoying playing the game again, this time in the “intended” way, no sequence breaks or anything. Although I did take the shortcut to Gravity in Bruenia because the game just shoves it right in your face. If it weren’t for the kinda tough shinespark sequence, I’d almost say that was the intended way to go.

I’m not sure if I’ll go for 100% or not. I’ve got 100% in Dread three times already! But I definitely want to do the boss rush mode. Then I’ll be done with the event.

I actually made quite a bit of progress last night in Prime 3. According to the log book, I have unlocked everything. However, looking at a walkthrough it looks like I have a few places left to visit.

We will see how well I do tonight.

Oh shoot, I totally forgot about this event! I guess I just mentally skip over pinned threads lol. Glad for the extension!

Here we go. Should cover Samus Returns, Super, Fusion, and Dread plus some ancillary things (Ridley, starting a play through). Will post the things on Wii U hopefully by this weekend. Obviously one counts for Zabesian Zoomer. Going to spoiler tag everything so it’s not massive:

SR388 Survivor
F8-C1-ABA6-4938-4045-A5-EA-522-ED2-EB80-D8.jpg

Aeion Anniversary
62-D3-F81-F-C20-C-4-F36-B9-C5-6-CE4-C8-ECAA5-C.jpg

Look at Me, I’m the Mother Now
E50-A06-DF-1-BD7-4-FD1-8451-997-D779-B286-C.jpg

Thoha Tenacity
11-FD0245-1878-40-B2-9-C7-D-963-B430-D3-C6-C.jpg

Crateria Commuter

F2123294-4-CA5-4094-83-E0-23-D02-CF505-C2.jpg

Rescue Range AND Baby’s Cry (This is the end screen so figured it could count for both. Circled the little ship from the critters)
D67458-E7-011-E-422-F-8545-89206-BBC9039.jpg

B.S.L. Blastoff

43-B746-F4-6846-4-BAB-A628-52446462-E1-A5.jpg

Fusion Fearless

F4-D7-A5-C0-0-B77-4466-BE8-E-5352816-ACB83.jpg

Now, I am admitting here I recently got 100% on this so just went and rebeat Raven Beak. If that doesn’t count then you can decide not to give me the badges. I did beat all this stuff though (or I will go through again with another file).

Artaria Ascent
B35421-DF-17-FF-478-C-82-B1-A05-BAE4-C9-FC1.jpg

Dread Domination
6-E7-C6102-A272-473-B-A6-BC-0-C0-ACBE10-B88.jpg

Marwkin Militancy

B3-CC95-F6-23-E2-4-FF5-9-AB1-2-D3-EFC156787.jpg

Wasn’t sure the best way to get the SR Ridley so just too a cutscene picture.

95-E799-EB-ED96-4978-82-E9-2-CA6626-E6-CAC.jpg

0-E1-AD900-F286-4-E93-9-C67-42535639-D026.jpg

766413-F2-FB56-4-D6-B-919-D-635-F7-E494921.jpg

Should be 14 badges there. Will work on having about 5-6 more by this weekend. This event was really fun.

Well, tonight went to shit.

My Wii stopped reading the Prime Trilogy disc. It had been making noise for a while so I guess it shouldn't come as a shock, but when you are probably 75% through Prime 3 it can be very frustrating. I even tried the miracle play of using my Wii-U, however when I transferred the save between SD cards (did it once for Xenoblade Chronicles), but the Wii-U wouldn't accept it. The only thing I could figure was since Prime saves are tied to Miis, it wouldn't accept the data on a new system.

So, I've ordered a lenses cleaner, which I am hoping does the trick. Oh well, I still have 13 days.

Well, tonight went to shit.

My Wii stopped reading the Prime Trilogy disc. It had been making noise for a while so I guess it shouldn't come as a shock, but when you are probably 75% through Prime 3 it can be very frustrating. I even tried the miracle play of using my Wii-U, however when I transferred the save between SD cards (did it once for Xenoblade Chronicles), but the Wii-U wouldn't accept it. The only thing I could figure was since Prime saves are tied to Miis, it wouldn't accept the data on a new system.

So, I've ordered a lenses cleaner, which I am hoping does the trick. Oh well, I still have 13 days.
That really sucks, hope you can get it fixed :(

That sucks @Josh5890 ! I hope you can get that sorted out.

In other news I jumped into Other M tonight immediately after finishing Dread. I’ve never played Other M, and had no idea what to expect. After playing for an hour, all I can say is oof. It is much worse than I expected.

The opening cinematic depicting the Mother Brain fight from Super was really cool, but once that ended it all went downhill. The game feels like complete garbage to control, from the awkward auto aim for the blaster to the incredibly bad “turn the Wiimote to use missiles” gimmick. It’s just bad. Maybe it takes getting used to, but first impressions are not good.

And then there’s Samus’ character. I always thought the way people talked about how Other M ruined Samus was a bit over the top, but I see where they’re coming from. It reads as though Samus were Bella from Twilight. Completely out of character. And the way she decided to join Adam’s crew, and immediately decides that she will obey his every word, down to disabling her own power suit, without Adam even asking her to, is beyond ridiculous.

So yeah, like I said, first impressions are not good. Other M has its work cut out if it’s gonna turn things around.

Aww I actually quite liked Other M when I played it a few years ago. I found the combat to be really interesting since it had a lot of ‘character action’ mechanics but was range based. I also kinda liked the murder mystery angle of the early story beats but I don’t recall it being payed off very well.

The Ridley stuff was much overblown imo. It’s a misstep, yea, but I didn’t think the game deserved to be crucified for it.

Five New Badges 1/19/23
Five New Badges

The following badges have been added to the event, bringing the total number of badges up to 50! Brain Buster and Primed and Ready will soon be awarded retroactively to those who've previously met their conditions.

General Badges

52635094157_021751ab1f_o.png

Brain Buster

Awards 2 Energy Tanks

Defeat Mother Brain in Metroid 1 and Super Metroid.

Picture Proof: Metroid 1 and Super Metroid credits or end screen

52634600260_653661c952_o.png

Primed and Ready

Awards 2 Energy Tanks

Defeat Metroid Prime, Dark Samus, and Aurora Unit 313 across the Prime Trilogy.

Picture Proof: Metroid Prime 1, 2, and 3 credits or end screens

METROID: OTHER M

52634579938_177c457a61_o.png

Remember Me?

Metroid: Other M: Meet up with Anthony aboard the BOTTLE SHIP.

"Fancy meeting you here, Princess. Remember me?"

Picture Proof: Anthony

52634579963_9e9b93d5c9_o.png

Any Objections, Adam?

Awards 1 Energy Tank

Metroid: Other M: Bid farewell to your old mentor, retrieve a memento, and depart the BOTTLE SHIP for good.

Picture Proof: Credits or end screen

52634353484_8f2a916fe7_o.png

Galaxy's Greatest Mom

Awards 2 Energy Tanks

Metroid: Other M: Finish the game with 100% item acquisition.

Picture Proof: Any image showcasing 100% items acquired (menu, end screen, etc.)

Five New Badges

The following badges have been added to the event, bringing the total number of badges up to 50! Brain Buster and Primed and Ready will soon be awarded retroactively to those who've previously met their conditions.

General Badges

METROID: OTHER M

Oh hey look at that, I bet a lot of folks qualify for the Mother Brain badge (including meee)

Thanks so much for all your hard work putting this event on! The badges all look incredible.

Felt good to get 17 badges in one go. Funnily enough, I recently started Other M so now I will have incentive to finish it. Not sure when I need to take that picture for the first badge so might be past it. Will have the kraid badge (literally just finished like 5 minutes ago) and Zero mission badges (plus mother brain one I guess). Should put me in the platinum energy tank that way since I’m at gold already and will get 4 more). Having lots of fun with this badge event as always.

Posting tons of images at once was too much, so will be doing more piecemeal as this winds down. Here is Kraid Killer:

63-A50-D47-7166-4-B4-B-B617-448842-B0-E55-F.jpg

6-CAE217-E-4-D4-F-43-A3-84-A9-83-B2-DFB96241.jpg

AA740-CC4-ABA7-40-A7-BD55-37397-B778-AE3.jpg

Super, Zero Mission, Dread

This should also put me over 12 energy tanks which feels good. Wasn’t sure I was going to be able to get that much, but glad I was able to because I got to revisit so many great games.

PRAISE BE TO THE WII U GAMEPAD D-PAD, is what I must say after finishing up Fusion. PRAISE BE TO THE D-PAD.

zrpmfoaslqkpdy6hhu21zq8frx.jpg
Picture taken on a Wii U that, for the first time in a decade, sits in front of the television screen in order to cope with the latency on one of the trickier shinespark puzzles. Nearly two dozens failed attempts when the Wii was all the way in the dusty back of the media center. Success on the first try after moving it up.

Last edited:
New achievements hot off the presses

Dread
Artaria Ascent
Hadar Sen Olmen
Dread Domination
Mawkin Militancy

I understand the game clear pic isn't exactly where it's supposed to be, but the star symbol between time and percentage only shows up after completion.

Metroid Zero Mission Down:

Brinstar Beginnings (didn’t get the long beam statue but did take one of Samus’ status screen showing I collected the items)

35-D61-FDC-1853-4-CF7-A5-ED-A209-C1553-B16.jpg

Pirate Pacifier

769-C314-D-F71-E-464-F-94-BF-04-CEF188-A801.jpg

Pray for a True Peace in Space

EC674463-87-F4-4-D7-C-A270-F85-C4-FD5-FBE7.jpg

This will also give me the Brain Buster since I already completed Super Metroid.

Edit: Tagging @Aurc in case I was supposed to do that and also bolded the titles of the badges I competed for ease of reading.

Last edited:
Okay, don't know why it took me so long but I finally finished this run of Super Metroid:

pxl_20230128_1813042454e7m.jpg

pxl_20230128_180859137yi9a.jpg

Man, I remember as a kid thinking a sub-three hour run of Super Metroid seemed impossible, but now I basically can do it every time without even really trying. 73% item completion too, which is a little higher than normal (I usually land in the 60s).

Don't think I'll manage to squeeze in another game before the end of the month but this was still fun!

Just a few days left in the event! I might spam bumps, just to keep this thread visible in its final hours. I'm hoping we'll be able to bring it back towards the end of this year, and that I'll be able to think up some badges that are a little more outside the box, next time around. Current badge count is 50. I'll aim to add at least 25 more on top of that for the following go, if they let me.

Only gotta resist buying Zero Mission for two more days and then my Wii U backlog will breathe a sigh of relief. I can do it. I can do it!

I tried out Metroid - the real Zero Mission, if you will - on 3DS Virtual Console so I wouldn't spend money on Wii U. It convinced me that I'd rather play the remake than ever trudge my way through the original.

20230129_193927ujews.jpg

And while I had the 3DS on hand, I made a quick trip down just barely below the surface of SR388. Return of Samus is a game I'm especially fond of. Same goes for the art of the Metroid developmental stages in the manual. So I could not let this event end without getting at least that one badge.

20230129_190441yaefu.jpg

And because Metroid NES didn't keep me occupied long enough, I started my first sub 4 hour attempt of Dread. Stayed on Normal difficulty, but I can already tell the low number of energy tanks on the speed run route is gonna be a problem later on.

fnw_sujakaadfcnjkezd.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, so facing the fact that I've not been able to fulfil my planned full playthrough of Echoes due to various reasons and factors in my life at the moment, I have to settle for only Aether Allegiance for this event.

uFMHaGa.png

I also want to talk a while about the Prime games, and Echoes, and why that game in particular means so much to me, and why it has such a huge place both in my heart as well as in my Top 10. I first played it when it came out, if memory recalls correctly, it was christmas of 2004. I played and loved Prime 1 back when it released - how could I not? It was a game unlike any other. Atmospheric and elegant, ingeniously designed, engaging and consistently challenging, a game that drew you in, kept you in its firm hand and the let you go, and you came out all the better for it.

What gets me so much with the Metroid series, the Prime games in particular, is how they manage to say so much with so little. Convey such a wide array of emotions with such small methods. I played these games in a period where I also played many games loaded with story - Final Fantasy VII and IX, Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 and The Wind Waker. Games that made me feel things, strong things, with loads of text and exposition. But playing Prime, it just hit me how this game conveys feelings, conveys emotion, with miniscule amounts of obligatory story segments and dialogue. The story is there, the exposition is there - loads of it, in fact. But it's optional, completely optional. If you don't care about insect facts, or intricate Chozo lore, go ignore it. You're completely free to skip it. If you choose to do so, these games offer insignificant amounts of what is traditionally considered "story".

And yet, the feelings were there. Not at all the feelings I felt at the time in other games, like the bittersweet melancholy of The Wind Waker, or the batshit shenanigans of MGS. But feelings of foreboding, of anxiety and pressure as the many dangers of Tallon IV closed in on me. Feelings of stress and panic during tense boss battles, and feelings of comfort as I slowly started to familiarise myself with the world and its hazards. And, what I remember the most, feelings of calmness, peace and tranquility: such as when the snow of Phendrana Drifts fell all around me for the first time, or when the small sea creatures in the Sunken Frigate Ship swam past me, accompanied by gorgeous, gorgeous music. Or, the most famous example, raindrops on my visor as I graced Tallon IV for the first time, knowing that from now on, it was only me and solitude, and nothing, absolutely nothing else.

These are the moments I remember the most from Prime, and what defines the series for me. Once you get through the dread, the stress, you're greeted with these beautiful places and sections, like air after a deep dive, making what meets you taste all the more sweet. This, then, is what evokes emotion in me, enough to match the aforementioned more story-heavy experiences. True beauty.

That's Prime, then. But Prime 2 is Prime, but in my eyes more amazing, more satisfying, just more, more and more in every single facet. As Cliffy B puts it - this is "bigger, better, more badass". Now, in the wake of the imminent approach of Tears of the Kingdom, I'm going to take this opportunity to say that in my world, and my opinion, Echoes might just be the best direct sequel I've ever played. It does take a huge gamble with the introduction of Dark Aether and the strict, sometimes frustrating gameplay limitations it brings. But if you vibe with that concept - and I certainly do - Echoes is just pure, magical triumph in terms of a sequel. The areas are more interesting, the gameplay progression more satisfying, the items more cool and unique, the bosses more intense, everything feels like such a natural evolution, yet it is still - again due to Dark Aether - wholly unique in context of the whole series.

While Prime 1 could at times feel a bit safe, like "Super Metroid 3D", what with a fiery underground area, Varia Suit after the first boss, a sunken ship, etc, Echoes feels like Retro growing out of it, finding their own footing, and making the Prime format completely their own. The addition of Dark Aether really adds more than it subtracts for me, it increases the stakes and tension, and truly makes the world feel hostile in a suffocating, foreboding way. There's this push-pull to game design at times, where the harder and harsher aspects of the game is honed on, all the sweeter will the following breathing spaces taste. For every sweaty and tense battle against any Ing enemy or boss, for every time the last Energy Tank beeps, the game reassures you that it will all be worth it, for this is also a game that contains moments of pure awe, the ascent into Temple Grounds, into Sanctuary Fortress, or, for that matter, the feeling you get as you dip your toes into the water of lower Torvus Bog as the game graces you with a remix of a Super Metroid song that sends shivers across your entire spine.

The aforementioned moments are there, and they are many, but in a game that is indeed bigger, better and more badass, there's so much more to unpack. For all of it's ethereal, abstract appeal and the way that the game taps into that unique sense of Metroid emotion, it still pulls no stops when it comes to the level design, the item progression and the boss encounters. A core appeal of Metroid isn't just its quiet moments, it's the context in which these moments graces you as part of the overall feeling you get as you explore a Metroid world. There's this immense feeling of relief and satisfaction when you play through Metroid and its unique item progression structure - you're stranded on this hostile, alien world, but 15 hours later, you know it like the back of your hand, zipping across areas here and there via shortcuts, blasting through enemies like they're nothing. Echoes pulls this feeling off with bravado - not only by traditionally gating off areas until you get the correct item, but also by making the items themselves just so dang cool. The Spider Ball and the various suits are all here, at this point series mainstays - the Gravity Suit is even improved into the Gravity Booster here, further proving that this is indeed bigger, better, more badass. Getting things like the Echo visor, the Screw Attack and the Annihilator Beam late in the game in the game's by far coolest area feels like a crescendo of sorts, neatly tailoring together everything that makes Metroid Metroid into a sequence of moments that for me will always be remembered as peak gaming.

Dang, I could go on and on. My TLDR is that Echoes is lit, and says so much with so little, and is in all its ingenuity a stellar feat in design, and for me it's just the greatest sequel ever.

Well, I'm still stuck in Wii hell. Turns out, the only disc cleaner that I should be using is the official Wii disc cleaner. Of course, those are going for $75 minimum right now. I might experiment with taking out the lense myself and cleaning it at some point. So for now, my time with Prime 3 will end early (roughly 80%) through the game. Not the worst situation I have ever had with late game save file, but this one stings. Luckily I still have a Wii-U for Wii games in the mean time.

As for the event, I ended up finishing only two games lol. Metroid Prime 1 (repeat), and Prime 2. Prime 1 was better than I remember from 10+ years ago. Prime 2 was harder in many aspects, but I still really enjoyed my time outside of that one boss. Prime 3, although different, was a lot of fun for what I played. I really wanted to hit up at least a couple of the 2D games, but I ended up playing Pokémon which obviously sucked up a lot of time. I told myself when we started doing events never to rush through games just for the sake of a badge and I held to that here.

Thank you @Aurc for running this event!

Dread down. Not gonna go for 100%, so that concludes the event for me, but I tucked on Boss Rush since I had their patterns fresh on the brain.

Yesterday I was apprehensive about my chances to wrap the run up in under four hours, because the clock seemed too far advanced for where I was at that point in the game. And struggling with low health on the easier fights already made me anxious for the harder stuff ahead.

Funniest moment of the playthrough happened after I had just dispatched the twin chozo soldiers without much fuss and got an energy tank only a short while later and was feeling optimistic for a change

until the guide I was using informed me:

"This is how many health bars we'll have for the rest of the game."

And next up was The Experiment.

Gulpy gulpy gulp-gulp GULP.

Fortunately the pace and my ability picked up from there. After having a hard time remembering what all the buttons do at the start, by the end old muscle memory was fully online and better than ever. In that sense, Raven Beak mirrored the experience as a whole. First time into each phase, he messed me up. But once you figure out all his attacks, you can get through the fight without getting touched.

Raven Beak - still a great boss. Metroid Dread - still a great game. This event - the greatest event.

fn0wkrnacaay1nehlinz.jpg

Screen that shows my number of deaths only available after signing a strict confidentiality agreement.
fn0yrduagaayixnkufec.jpg

Still gonna need more pratice for Hard mode.

Screenshot_20221225-022113.png

At the limit, but I finally completed the only Metroid I hadn't fully played previously. And I have to say, I liked it a lot, very different to Samus returns, both of them equally great.

Almost forgot to post, did end up beating Prime 2. Have some gripes with the game but the music, setting etc are undeniably just really good.

I played a bunch of Prime 3, Dread and some SM too but I've been extremely busy this year so I couldn't really focus on actually beating on them but that's fine, I ultimately enjoy these events the most because they get me to revisit or try new games, the badges are a bonus. I'll probably end up playing a lot more Metroid throughout the year because of event.

Thanks to @Aurc and the others for hosting and setting it at all up, really enjoyable and I can't wait for the next event.

Back
Top Bottom