• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Site Event Metroid Prime and Fusion 20th Anniversary Event (ENDED)

Norion Nobility
URaursg.jpg

Metroid Prime 3 screenshot tool is locked behind WiiConnect24 lol

Last edited:
You can definitely tell that Prime 3 wasn't fully realized, which iirc has been somewhat confirmed in developer interviews since. Lots of cool locations and potentially cool mechanics, but they get to shine for 5min before you're twisting the wii remote to turn on some communications disc again.

Prime 1 is in progress.
I think I'll try to fit in my little godzillas into all my photos to mark them as mine (inspired by @xghost777 )
cKURoAkl.jpg

Checking in with some Prime 1 progress.

Ridley defeated (1/3 progress toward Ridley Ravager):
AWmUJALl.jpg

After realizing I missed one and having to go back for it in Phendrana Drifts, finally all chozo lore (Chozo Chronicle done):
rUZa4ig.gif

And all beam combos, I initially missed the flamethrower (Charge Combo Champion done):
Super Missile ✓
Wavebuster ✓
Ice Spreader ✓
Flamethrower ✓
wYMEfA6.gif

Also I started playing Super Metroid on my Analogue Pocket and realized I should go back and record beating Bomb Torizo. This is its room, right? Here I am laying down a bomb (Crateria Commuter done):

UMmYaFEl.jpg

And here's 1/3 progress toward Kraid Killer:
XKGD60Xl.jpg

I forgot that Prime Trilogy effectively deletes your progress if you save after the credits. Hopefully this will suffice for the Metroid Prime badges?

Tallon Touchdown
Chozo Chronicle
Charge Combo Champion
Prime Prophecy
Prime Perennial

20221217-161111.jpg

I forgot that Prime Trilogy effectively deletes your progress if you save after the credits. Hopefully this will suffice for the Metroid Prime badges?
Yes, that'll work just fine! You obviously achieved 100%. I've awarded you the relevant badges. Well done!

Having a lot of difficulty with Prime 3. You can tell this game was out near the start of the Wii, because back then it was really cool to use a pointer to press buttons or shoot 4 dots in a sequence lol

Having a lot of difficulty with Prime 3. You can tell this game was out near the start of the Wii, because back then it was really cool to use a pointer to press buttons or shoot 4 dots in a sequence lol
Yeah, I bounced off it at the time as I really didn't get on with the motion controls - the only core game in the series that I've not played in one form or another. I may still get to it from this event, we'll see....

Yeah, I bounced off it at the time as I really didn't get on with the motion controls - the only core game in the series that I've not played in one form or another. I may still get to it from this event, we'll see....
And honestly there are lots of Wii FPS games I enjoy, but I think Prime 3 was unfortunately saddled with being the first party near-launch game that shows off the Wii pointer controls. You end up in situations where it's more laborious to do things Samus could do easily in the first two games, such as manually pressing four buttons on a screen to achieve what the scan visor would do before. I remember that being cool in 2007 but it not as impressive now lol

Joining this event super late (thanks, Pokemon) with a playthrough of my previous former favorite Metroid game, Zero Mission!

For this post, I'm going for Zebesian Zoomer, Brinstar Beginnings, Pirate Pacifier, and Pray for a True Peace in Space! (because 100%ing Zero Mission is a pain in the rear end).

20221220-121017.jpg

(I got the Long Beam first, so here's me getting missiles too)
20221220-121229.jpg

20221221-001805.jpg

20221221-012715.jpg

For this playthrough, I broke out the Miyoo Mini to test a game that was more reliant on the shoulder buttons. This was not the smartest idea, as the Miyoo isn't the most comfortable for these kinda action games, but I got to pull off a few cool tricks, like early Super Missiles with the Morph Ball Shinespark. Still, the 100% of Zero Mission is easily its worst aspect and I find that it kinda takes away from the experience - with the whole timer thing, I find it more fulfilling to get that sub-two hour time. And given that I haven't played Zero Mission in many years, I'll take the 1:45.

I might go for 100% in the future? I don't know. Honestly feels like it'd be easier to break out Metroid Planets and do it there, but to be fair, I've never actually played Metroid Planets, just Zero Mission. I don't know if I'll have the time to do more games, but I'm glad I got to revisit Zero Mission for a fun day of play.

Wonderful to see your participation, @VolcanicDynamo! 🙂 Very nice pictures. That little device looks neat!

Yeah: as someone who recently achieved 100% in Zero Mission, a couple of those pickups were most certainly a pain, but the Shinespark puzzles weren't actually as bad as I was expecting. I'd say Dread's are more challenging. I played ZM on hard this time, which I can't actually recall ever having previously done, and as a result, the Zero Suit sequence at the end made for much more of a pain in the ass. Samus is just so fragile, and I died a whole bunch of times. Even after acquiring the Fully Powered Suit, it seemed like those Pirates were doing just a shitload of damage.

Anyway, awesome job getting that sub-two hour clear! If you do decide to start up Planets, attaining 100% is pretty easy. The Zebeth campaign is a 1:1 recreation of NES Metroid, so all of the item locations are identical, and there's obviously no Shinesparks or anything. I almost went and did it there myself, but after playing AM2R for the event, I wanted more of that style of gameplay, so Zero Mission it was.

Wonderful to see your participation, @VolcanicDynamo! 🙂 Very nice pictures. That little device looks neat!

Yeah: as someone who recently achieved 100% in Zero Mission, a couple of those pickups were most certainly a pain, but the Shinespark puzzles weren't actually as bad as I was expecting. I'd say Dread's are more challenging. I played ZM on hard this time, which I can't actually recall ever having previously done, and as a result, the Zero Suit sequence at the end made for much more of a pain in the ass. Samus is just so fragile, and I died a whole bunch of times. Even after acquiring the Fully Powered Suit, it seemed like those Pirates were doing just a shitload of damage.

Anyway, awesome job getting that sub-two hour clear! If you do decide to start up Planets, attaining 100% is pretty easy. The Zebeth campaign is a 1:1 recreation of NES Metroid, so all of the item locations are identical, and there's obviously no Shinesparks or anything. I almost went and did it there myself, but after playing AM2R for the event, I wanted more of that style of gameplay, so Zero Mission it was.
I do indeed love the Miyoo Mini. It is not the best Zero Mission machine, but it's a fantastic super-portable emulation handheld.

I think there's two differences for me between Zero Mission's Shinesparks and Dread's. The first is inputs - this is absolutely exasperated by my choice of play device, but I find pulling off some of those shinesparks with the proper timing to be quite difficult on a small handheld compared to, say, a Switch Pro Controller. The other is pacing - yes, I backtracked to get everything in Dread when I did it in 2021, but it never felt as out of the way as it did in Zero Mission, where it feels like the game kinda grinds to a halt if you want to then go get 100%. But hey, Dread did come out, like, over a decade and a half later, I'd hope it'd be more refined!

So funny story - I indeed started Planets' Zebeth campaign, and I'm at 37% items collected. Of course, I've never actually played more than ten minutes or so of NES Metroid before this, so this run's gonna be a lot sloppier than Zero Mission, but I think I can finish it sometime tomorrow (I guess it's now "today" for me - that's time zones for ya!).

Well, true to my word, here's Ultimate Warrior completed on Metroid Planets.

2022-12-22-4.png

This was my first time playing through the original Metroid, and I can absolutely see why Zero Mission is as widely praised as a remake as it is. It takes the general idea and structure of the original, adds a touch of Super Metroid, and builds something masterful. But if there's anything I can say about the original in comparison to Zero Mission, 100% was a lot easier, even if I had to really master the bomb jump to do so.

One thing I do appreciate about the original Metroid is how strong the upgrades make you feel. Early game in Kraid was super rough, but soon you get those extra missiles and the Varia Suit, and you can just tank through all your troubles. The Screw Attack is the cherry on top, such a destructive power, and it totally makes sense why it's such a franchise staple.

I’ll post some screenshots tomorrow probably, but I played through NES Metroid tonight. I only ever played it one time, nearly two decades ago, on an emulator with a keyboard and save states. This time I had a proper controller and a video guide and also abused rewind no shame. I think the guide I followed did some sequence breaking because there was a tricky bit where you had to lure an enemy up through a gap so you could use it to jump to a higher door. Anyway, I’m pretty sure I got the Varia suit and the screw attack early. Made the game a bit of a cakewalk until Tourian, but that place is designed to be hell no matter what I think. The final boss is just unfair. I can’t imagine doing that back in the day without save states.

I also didn’t know that after the credits, Samus respawns at the start out of her suit, with all her upgrades. That was pretty cool!

But yeah, I took a bunch of screenshots, I’ll post those soon. I hope to play Return of Samus before the event is up, and eventually replay Super, Fusion, and Dread as well. We’ll see! I’m just sorry I waited this long to participate.

As promised, screenshots! @Aurc

Brinstar Beginnings said:

Pirate Pacifier said:

Pray for a True Peace in Space said:

And finally because I thought it was cool, I took a screenshot of “new game plus” even though it’s not for a badge.

I’ve also got pictures of Ridley and Kraid’s lairs, in case I get around to beating a few more Metroid games before the clock runs out.

I’m also not sure if I got 100%. Probably not? I got seven e tanks, although it only ever displayed six. Not sure how many missile tanks I got.

Triple post, woooo

I've started Metroid II. I've played Samus Returns, but never the original. So far the movement and physics are actually pretty good compared to the NES game. I really like how Samus can crouch now (can't crawl though, wtf?). The spider ball is pretty awkward though, both activating and deactivating it, and using it to move on the walls, it's fairly unintuitive. But the biggest issue by far is the lack of a map. Luckily there are tons of fan-made maps online, and I'll definitely be using one of those. Metroid games need maps. The way that Metroid II is laid out makes it so you can play it without a map, but having one will makes things so much smoother.

Once I finish Metroid II, I'll have played every official 2D Metroid game!

Moving on to Area 3 now, thirteen metroids down. This is all feeling very familiar now - Samus Returns was a pretty faithful remake all things considered. It’s funny how intimidated I’ve been of this game for so long. Something about the idea of an entire Metroid game on the Game Boy just sounded like it would be too much, which doesn’t make sense, I know. But I felt like they must have had to cram a lot of stuff in a small space and it would have been too complicated? And the fact that there is no map only made me more hesitant to play the game. I’ll be honest, if I wasn‘t using a fan map I wouldn’t be having much fun. Because honestly, this game is massive. It’s incredible that they fit an entire, proper Metroid game on this system. A real marvel! It’s sprawling. And it would be so easy to get lost considering the monochrome and the no map.

So far it seems like Metroid II fully embraces early Metroid style boss fights, the kind where the only viable strategy is to stand there and tank hits and hope that you last longer than the monster. It’s almost impossible not to get hit. I blame the small spaces that the metroids inhabit and Samus’ tanky movement. It really wasn‘t until Dread that that tanky aspect would go away.

Too a longer break than expected, but I started Metroid Prime Echoes tonight. I still want to finish the trilogy by the end of the event!

It’s almost impossible not to get hit.
I would push yourself! It is tricky but you can certainly avoid getting hit. You do have to properly space out missiles though or else the timing will be off and the metroids will tank your hits with their iframes. I think if you try not to get hit you'll find these are some of the most exciting fights in the series.

@Aurc Metroid II complete!

I had a great time with this game! It’s mind-blowing that there’s a game that’s this big on the Game Boy, and that it’s so good. It’s a touch on the easy side (the only part that I died at was the queen fight), but after the NES game I won’t complain about that. Samus Returns definitely cranked the difficulty up to 11 here.

Thank goodness I had a map to use. Some of the metroids are hidden very well. There are tons of places I could see myself getting stuck without a map. Kudos to those who played this back in the day, making their own maps as @Brock Reiher said!

The endings of Return of Samus and Samus Returns are compared a lot, but having experienced them both, I fully understand why people were upset at Mercury Steam. The short trip to your ship at the end, in the darkness and silence, with your new friend in tow, is so rewarding here. And it works much better thematically - Samus has just finished a planet-wide rampage, killing everything in sight, but not the baby. The baby is different. There’s no more violence with the baby. It’s better in every way compared to the remake’s ending.

SR388 Surveyor said:

For this one, I forgot to take the picture after twenty metroids. That’s why the count says six remaining, lol
Aeion Anniversary said:

Look at Me said:

I ended the game with every energy tank and every missile tank but one. Not sure how I missed it, but that’s how it goes!

I don't know if the joke has been done before but it's obvious that Metroid Prime 4 will launch on 04.04.2024.

And I repeat: it's a joke, just in case someone takes it literally.

So going off of earlier posts asking about this, I'm going to just post the end % screens. If I actually need to post images for every intermediate goal that's fine, but I want to condense this as much as possible.

Didn't go for E.M.M.I. Embarrassment

So going off of earlier posts asking about this, I'm going to just post the end % screens. If I actually need to post images for every intermediate goal that's fine, but I want to condense this as much as possible.

Didn't go for E.M.M.I. Embarrassment

This person likes Metroid games!

Phazon Peacekeeper
JYDtY13.jpg

That was the first time ive managed to beat this game since it came out in 2007. After I 100% it I don't think there will be a third, lol.

Alternative screenshot
Yxr4G9l.jpg

Checking in with some Prime 1 progress.

Ridley defeated (1/3 progress toward Ridley Ravager):
AWmUJALl.jpg

After realizing I missed one and having to go back for it in Phendrana Drifts, finally all chozo lore (Chozo Chronicle done):
rUZa4ig.gif

And all beam combos, I initially missed the flamethrower (Charge Combo Champion done):
Super Missile ✓
Wavebuster ✓
Ice Spreader ✓
Flamethrower ✓
wYMEfA6.gif

Also I started playing Super Metroid on my Analogue Pocket and realized I should go back and record beating Bomb Torizo. This is its room, right? Here I am laying down a bomb (Crateria Commuter done):

UMmYaFEl.jpg

And here's 1/3 progress toward Kraid Killer:
XKGD60Xl.jpg

Checking in with 2/3 progress toward Ridley Ravager with the Super Metroid endgame drawing near
HAGqO3pl.jpg

Prime and Super are both in final boss area now, Dread and Returns in progress, more updates soon

Last edited:
Checking in with 2/3 progress toward Ridley Ravager with the Super Metroid endgame drawing near
HAGqO3pl.jpg

Prime and Super are both in final boss area now and Returns is in progress, will update all soon
And here's the next update after completion.

Rescue Ranger: Animals saved! Not the easiest picture to get while on the timer.
nlEdEPJl.jpeg

Baby's Cry: And getting the heck out! Operation completed!
PWH3xJHl.jpg

I’m working my way through Super Metroid. This is my second time playing it. The first time was a couple years ago, and while I had played a little bit of Metroid Fusion before that, I had never beaten a Metroid game. I remember liking Super a lot, but I found a lot of it to be confusing and obtuse, and I had to resort to a guide for a lot of the game. Now I’m coming back to it a couple years later, having beaten every 2D Metroid game, and I feel like I have a much better understanding of how 2D Metroid works and its design language. I feel like I’m flying through the game, relative to my first playthrough, and I haven’t had to use a walkthrough once yet. Part of that is memory from the first time through of course, but there have been parts where I didn’t remember where I needed to go or what I needed to do, but I haven‘t been stuck yet.

For instance, tonight I made it back up to Crateria, and I remembered that you are supposed to go right to reach the ghost ship. Except you need the grapple beam to get there, and I had no recollection of where to get it. Instead of getting frustrated and looking for a guide, I ended up taking a lap so to speak through Brinstar. Even though I didn’t find the grapple beam, with my new abilities I got a bunch of missile tanks and power bombs. Once that was clear, I figured the only place to go was Norfair. Once again I was able to get a lot of upgrades, as well as being able to find Crocomire and eventually the grapple beam that I was looking for. My search also resulted in me finding the spazer and wave beams, both of which are pretty significant upgrades.

It’s so satisfying working out where to go yourself and successfully getting there. Hopefully I can push all the way through without needed to look anything up! If i remember right, Maridia might prove a bit challenging there though.. I remember that part being particularly grueling.

Catching up on a lot here, so there will be a handful of quotes and replies in this post! You folks sure have been busy! Fantastic to see. I've awarded everyone the relevant badges they've earned, in addition to updating the Energy Tank counts in post #6. As always, if I've missed a badge somewhere, or reflected an incorrect count, just @ me and let me know. I think everything should be correct, and up to date.

(For the record, @Legion of Primes contacted me to say he lost his Metroid Prime save, but he was quite far in, so I've gone ahead and awarded him the appropriate badges.)

Regarding badges for Metroid: Other M: PokéNeutral, the fine gentleman who assisted me with this event and added all the badges to the system, is currently on leave from his staff duties, and I don't wanna bug him. That said, anyone who submits their screenshots for the game will still be awarded the badges, once they do go up! As with the other games, there will be one for an early game achievement, one for a clear, and one for 100%.
Well, true to my word, here's Ultimate Warrior completed on Metroid Planets.

2022-12-22-4.png

This was my first time playing through the original Metroid, and I can absolutely see why Zero Mission is as widely praised as a remake as it is. It takes the general idea and structure of the original, adds a touch of Super Metroid, and builds something masterful. But if there's anything I can say about the original in comparison to Zero Mission, 100% was a lot easier, even if I had to really master the bomb jump to do so.

One thing I do appreciate about the original Metroid is how strong the upgrades make you feel. Early game in Kraid was super rough, but soon you get those extra missiles and the Varia Suit, and you can just tank through all your troubles. The Screw Attack is the cherry on top, such a destructive power, and it totally makes sense why it's such a franchise staple.
Yes! Someone actually played Planets! Awesome.

What's worth noting is that even though Zebeth in Planets is structured nigh identically to NES Metroid, there are numerous major differences that set the two apart. Personally, as much as it pains me to say it, I can't stand the actual OG NES Metroid. I feel it's way too dated, by today's standards. There's the floaty physics, lack of a map, bad framerate drops, energy and ammo farming (because you don't respawn with full energy, for some godforsaken reason), and copy and pasted rooms.

Planets solves each and every one of the above issues except for the samey rooms, so I think it makes for a far better way to experience Metroid 1 these days, even if it is a fan game. Planets has a few other cool features too, like the ability to go into the menu and select "Respawn", to instantly spawn back at the elevator of the area you're currently in. Achieving 100% in the actual OG Metroid would likely annoy me more than Zero Mission, even with a map.

Bomb jumping feels great, btw. I actually don't even know if infinite bomb jumping is possible in NES Metroid, but in Planets, it feels super smooth and consistent. If you enjoyed the Zebeth campaign, I'd recommend playing Novus sometime (there are even dedicated badges for it in this event). It's a lot better.
I’ll post some screenshots tomorrow probably, but I played through NES Metroid tonight. I only ever played it one time, nearly two decades ago, on an emulator with a keyboard and save states. This time I had a proper controller and a video guide and also abused rewind no shame. I think the guide I followed did some sequence breaking because there was a tricky bit where you had to lure an enemy up through a gap so you could use it to jump to a higher door. Anyway, I’m pretty sure I got the Varia suit and the screw attack early. Made the game a bit of a cakewalk until Tourian, but that place is designed to be hell no matter what I think. The final boss is just unfair. I can’t imagine doing that back in the day without save states.

I also didn’t know that after the credits, Samus respawns at the start out of her suit, with all her upgrades. That was pretty cool!

But yeah, I took a bunch of screenshots, I’ll post those soon. I hope to play Return of Samus before the event is up, and eventually replay Super, Fusion, and Dread as well. We’ll see! I’m just sorry I waited this long to participate.
Oh yeah, I find NES Metroid to be a rough experience, for the reasons I just responded to VolcanicDynamo with! The way I see it, there's absolutely no shame in using a video guide, in addition to the rewind function. I genuinely can't recall whether I've ever beaten it without using some cheesy password. I grew up playing Zero Mission, so that was my Metroid 1. I recently played through most of NES Metroid without any shenanigans via NSO, but dropped it because I got bored of farming energy before heading into Tourian. I can only imagine Mother Brain is a pain, with the shitty framerate only contributing to that.

I seriously had no idea you spawned back in as Justin Bailey Samus, immediately upon clearing the game. That's really neat!
Triple post, woooo

I've started Metroid II. I've played Samus Returns, but never the original. So far the movement and physics are actually pretty good compared to the NES game. I really like how Samus can crouch now (can't crawl though, wtf?). The spider ball is pretty awkward though, both activating and deactivating it, and using it to move on the walls, it's fairly unintuitive. But the biggest issue by far is the lack of a map. Luckily there are tons of fan-made maps online, and I'll definitely be using one of those. Metroid games need maps. The way that Metroid II is laid out makes it so you can play it without a map, but having one will makes things so much smoother.

Once I finish Metroid II, I'll have played every official 2D Metroid game!
You aren't going to believe this, but I may be the king of Metroid frauds, as I've never beaten OG Metroid 2, either! I love Samus Returns and AM2R (especially the latter), but the original is just real tough for me to go back to. I keep meaning to play through it in its entirety though, and I eventually will. Super Metroid is just the oldest one I seem to be able to comfortably go back to. In addition to being one of the best games ever made, it's also the most similar to the GBA ones, which are some of my most played, so I guess that'd be why.
So far it seems like Metroid II fully embraces early Metroid style boss fights, the kind where the only viable strategy is to stand there and tank hits and hope that you last longer than the monster. It’s almost impossible not to get hit. I blame the small spaces that the metroids inhabit and Samus’ tanky movement. It really wasn‘t until Dread that that tanky aspect would go away.
You feel as though that tanky Samus movement factor was always a thing, up until Dread? She was quite nimble in Fusion, no? Even more so in Zero Mission though, which has some of the snappiest gameplay in the series.

I'm enjoying reading through your impressions of all the games, and I'm curious as to how I'll fare, once I get going in my own OG Metroid 2 playthrough, haha. I'd like to make an LTTP thread for that, if I can remember to!
The endings of Return of Samus and Samus Returns are compared a lot, but having experienced them both, I fully understand why people were upset at Mercury Steam. The short trip to your ship at the end, in the darkness and silence, with your new friend in tow, is so rewarding here. And it works much better thematically - Samus has just finished a planet-wide rampage, killing everything in sight, but not the baby. The baby is different. There’s no more violence with the baby. It’s better in every way compared to the remake’s ending.
This is a relatively common sentiment, and one I wholeheartedly agree with. It's absolutely as you say: the quiet trip back to your ship with the baby is meant to thematically juxtapose against the rest of the game, and MercurySteam shoehorning a Ridley fight in at the end is just so crass, and heavy handed. What was once hopeful in tone became ominous, all for the sake of some fanservice that breaks the lore (Ridley apparently recovering from a severe ass kicking in time to show up in SM's intro, as his fully organic self again, is really silly). Don't get me wrong: it's an amazing fight, and I enjoyed it a lot, but it doesn't care at all about conveying what the original ending did. AM2R did a much better job with this. No out of place Ridley boss fight.

Though I do think Samus Returns and Dread are excellent games, I have some problems with MercurySteam's interpretation of the Metroid universe. They seem more keen on turning Samus into a cool robot, when previous games have done a lot to reveal her humanity and compassion. The Quiet Robe scene from Dread deserves all the praise it gets, though, and that's the type of characterization I'd prefer to see more of.

Metroid Planets looks really cool, I hadn't heard of it before joining Fami. Definitely a lot of QoL improvements I could see from watching a playthrough. However, like Zero Mission, the remixed music just doesn't do it for me. I'll probably go through it at some point so I can experience it properly though.

I'm currently going through Samus Returns right now, as it's the only Metroid game I haven't played in a few years. I'm enjoying it quite a bit (though I still prefer the original here as well). I just completed area 2 and have 27 Metroids to go. I'm going to go for 100% so I can at least get a few badges for this awesome event!

Metroid Planets looks really cool, I hadn't heard of it before joining Fami. Definitely a lot of QoL improvements I could see from watching a playthrough. However, like Zero Mission, the remixed music just doesn't do it for me. I'll probably go through it at some point so I can experience it properly though.
Yeah, totally understandable. I personally enjoy the remixed music, but I wish using the original tracks was also an option. With the Norfair arrangement serving as an example, you can hear some beeps and boops in there that could be considered divisive embellishments.

Finished up Fusion a week or two ago. Only now getting around to posting these! I still have Super, Dread, and the Novus campaign of Planets to go through. Definitely won't make it to the Prime Trilogy before the event's end, but I'm at least going to earn every badge from the 2D games. This certainly isn't the only time this event will ever run, so I'll go for Metroid Matriarch the next time around.

B.S.L. Blastoff, Fusion Fearless, Fusion Flawless:

For Samus Returns, how do I view how many metroids I’ve killed so far? Im in area 7 but the save slot just shows a number 2 which I’m guessing corresponds to the number remaining in my area but I didn’t notice a total number

For Samus Returns, how do I view how many metroids I’ve killed so far? Im in area 7 but the save slot just shows a number 2 which I’m guessing corresponds to the number remaining in my area but I didn’t notice a total number
I actually can't remember whether Samus Returns has a counter for total Metroids, or just an area-per-area one. If it's the latter, a late game pic (or just the one for clearing it) will do just fine.

Well, Trilogy done. Can fully say I regret having started a hypermode Prime 2 file back in November (I actually played through it but only got 80% items, didn't save in case I wanted to get the rest), but at this point restarting on an easier difficulty would have taken more time. Shout out to the Torvus Plaza glitch happening.

Emperor Ing is definitely a threat on this difficulty but it wasn't that bad. My contempt for Dark Samus 4 was only magnified by it, however. I've always felt Dark Samus 4 is very poorly executed (the first part of the fight is good), but the top difficulty takes it from a chore to actually annoying. Took like 3 attempts to get past her and to the credits. Definitely not still salty.

As an aside, it seems Prime 3 doesn't display total logbook completion? Or I'm just totally missing it. Adding it all up I think I'm over 80%.

Just cleared area 3 in SR, the largest area in the game with 10 Metroids. This area doesn't have any unique bosses and you only gain two powerups, but this is by far my favorite area in the game in tems of atmosphere. Music and sound design are on point, and the most reminiscent of the OG Metroid 2. I had a huge grin on my face when I got to the section with all the bleeps and blops that brought me back to when I played Return of Samus for the first time. I look forward to playing the second half of the game over the coming days!

Good grief, Maridia is almost worse than I remember it being. It wouldn’t be so bad if it weren’t for the sand you can’t jump out of. Ugh.

Despite usually defaulting to Metroid Prime as my favorite game I believe the last time I played it Obama was president. It was time for a replay and this was a nice opportunity. Went for a 100% run, but I missed two enemy scans - apparently some standard enemies only spawn once so you need to know they're coming up. Anyway, game is still great, I had a blast. Kinda itching to replay Zero Mission now...

Tallon Touchdown/Prime Prophecy/Prime Perennial (100% items)
2tCfOlo.jpg

Charge Combo Champion
XKIAX55.gif

Chozo Chronicle/Prime Perennial (>80% logs)
oQXTlKZ.gif

Prime Perennial (>80% logs)
Zqpcz46.gif

hkRFoCo.gif

R60mqxj.gif

Hope this post formatted alright. I pretty rarely try to embed images/gifs since I'm usually just lurking from my phone 😁

@IronTed, you're a true bounty hunter! Wow! Super well done. You're now the top badge and Energy Tank earner in the event (with Illusionary and Brock Reiher close behind). Please go back for E.M.M.I. Embarrassment too, when you get the chance. I want to be able to award at least one person the Metroid Matriarch badge before the event's conclusion, lol.
Phazon Peacekeeper
JYDtY13.jpg

That was the first time ive managed to beat this game since it came out in 2007. After I 100% it I don't think there will be a third, lol.

Alternative screenshot
Yxr4G9l.jpg
Admiral Dane-san is one of the few good men in the whole of the Galactic Federation. Him, and Anthony Higgs. Bless 'em both.
Good grief, Maridia is almost worse than I remember it being. It wouldn’t be so bad if it weren’t for the sand you can’t jump out of. Ugh.
I'm gonna be honest here: Maridia is low key poop! Just felt like saying so. It's not all bad, and there's still some good level design to be found within, but it's easily my least favorite area in Super Metroid. It doesn't help that the evocative water theme is replaced by a fairly mid one, as you make your way through the level. The overall SM OST is iconic, obviously, but the latter Maridia theme is probably my least favorite track. Maybe Prime 4 will do something cool with it, being that it (in addition to the first Maridia theme, and the second Crateria one) has yet to be featured in any other Metroid game.

Speaking of Super Metroid, here are my completion pics. I opted to play the game via the Super Metroid Redux ROM hack, this time around. It's a QOL focused hack that aims to make the game feel smoother to play, in addition to bringing the control scheme more in line with that of the GBA games. By far my favorite feature is the ability to simply hold R to select missiles, just like in Fusion and Zero Mission. Other notable features include a more informative map, game time and completion percentage displayed on the status screen, a Space Jump that doesn't randomly stop working for no reason, hard mode (which I played on: Ridley had so much damn health, jeez), faster door and elevator animations, and a bunch of other stuff. Definitely had a great time.

Crateria Commuter, Rescue Ranger, Baby's Cry, Super Specialist:

I wish I knew there was a trend of posting times! I'm trying to go through a lot of the youth-shaping games I have locked in my subconscious and as a result played through Fusion and ZM! Aurc already knows my love for fusion, but i was decently proud of my execution for ZM this time around...For the first time, I made it sub 2 hours non 100% and was super ecstatic.
If I end up going through Super Metroid, I'll have to make sure I use that rom hack. I've still never technically finished super because I played the GBA ones first and kept messing things up, but I mean, I can't resist the allure forever...
I'll be  primed to follow this trend next time- i doubt I'll beat your 4 hour clear time, even going any% clear, but I'm excited to try this all the same. Thank you for the update on his much anticipated redux, Aurc!

I wish I knew there was a trend of posting times! I'm trying to go through a lot of the youth-shaping games I have locked in my subconscious and as a result played through Fusion and ZM! Aurc already knows my love for fusion, but i was decently proud of my execution for ZM this time around...For the first time, I made it sub 2 hours non 100% and was super ecstatic.
If I end up going through Super Metroid, I'll have to make sure I use that rom hack. I've still never technically finished super because I played the GBA ones first and kept messing things up, but I mean, I can't resist the allure forever...
I'll be  primed to follow this trend next time- i doubt I'll beat your 4 hour clear time, even going any% clear, but I'm excited to try this all the same. Thank you for the update on his much anticipated redux, Aurc!
The post of a friend helps more than that of a foe...

Back
Top Bottom