• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Metroid Prime 4: Pre-Release Discussion Thread

I'm a very big fan of VR, but I highly doubt Nintendo is going to hold ANY game back for it and I really don't want them to. I don't think Nintendo would make a good VR system anyways. The vast majority of their library is third person.
Whilst I think a VR Metroid Prime game would be a match made in heaven, I personally would not like VR to be the future of gaming. I think Nintendo isn't well suited to it either. And I agree they wouldn't hold a game back because they're waiting on VR. But, in the absence of VR, they'd have to have some other compelling reason to green light a Metroid Prime game. Which leads me to: why did they decide to develop Metroid Prime 4 in the first place?

My suspicion is that they wanted their new Switch console to attract people who had grown up with the Gamecube and had since fallen out of favour with Nintendo for not making more of those 'mature' games like Metroid Prime.

If is both critically and commerciale succesful Retro will be stock for a long time with Metroid, 99% doing a "more of the same" sequel like all modern triple AAA titles
Really my biggest hope from Prime 4, aside from it miraculously matching the first game, would be for it to kickstart Retro making more games. If Prime 4 comes out late 2023/early 2024, that will 10 years after Tropical Freeze. To be robbed of their excellence for so long has been a hard pill to swallow. Sure it would be nice if they could finally make their own IP buy I'm also not going to say no to more Metroid Prime assuming these new games live up to Retro's past standards.

Whilst I think a VR Metroid Prime game would be a match made in heaven, I personally would not like VR to be the future of gaming. I think Nintendo isn't well suited to it either. And I agree they wouldn't hold a game back because they're waiting on VR. But, in the absence of VR, they'd have to have some other compelling reason to green light a Metroid Prime game. Which leads me to: why did they decide to develop Metroid Prime 4 in the first place?

My suspicion is that they wanted their new Switch console to attract people who had grown up with the Gamecube and had since fallen out of favour with Nintendo for not making more of those 'mature' games like Metroid Prime.
Or they just wanted to make another game in a highly acclaimed and fam favorite series? There doesn't need to be some grand purpose.

Why are you trying to find some outer space theory for why they wanted to make another game in an acclaimed franchise? Maybe just maybe they wanted to make another one because they had ideas to make another one…….

Or they just wanted to make another game in a highly acclaimed and fam favorite series? There doesn't need to be some grand purpose.
I mean its possible but i dont believe in it personally. MP4 seems... too big for a simple fan sequel, which is not something nintendo usually does anyway. I mean look at donkey kong lol.

Wow even dark cloud disagrees with me 😭

I mean its possible but i dont believe in it personally. MP4 seems... too big for a simple fan sequel, which is not something nintendo usually does anyway. I mean look at donkey kong lol.

Wow even dark cloud disagrees with me 😭
Nintendo has revived Advance Wars, Famicom Detective Club, 2D Metroid, Mario Strikers, and Wii/Switch Sports in the past year or so alone. Metroid Prime was inevitable. Nintendo just wants to turn MP4 into that blockbuster hit that the original would have been if not for the Gamecube.

Why are you trying to find some outer space theory for why they wanted to make another game in an acclaimed franchise? Maybe just maybe they wanted to make another one because they had ideas to make another one…….
I'm just speculating about what prompts Nintendo to invest (I think it's safe to assume) more than a hundred million dollars into high-profile games which resurrect old series. I'm fascinated by this. Like you suggested, I believe they make the game because they have an idea to make another one, but that idea has to come from somewhere and in order to convince the producers that it's a sound business decision they need to show how it will be profitable and why it's the best option now.

I don't think Gamecube was the problem. I still think it's audience reaction to the genre
The Gamecube didn't sell very many units, and Metroid Prime still managed to be a pretty big hit. Metroid Prime 2 sales got destroyed by the Wii hype and Metroid Prime 3 was on a casual focused console and tried to appeal to a bigger audience with worse results. Metroid Prime 4 finally has a shot to make it big time. Everything is working in its favor.

The Gamecube didn't sell very many units, and Metroid Prime still managed to be a pretty big hit. Metroid Prime 2 sales got destroyed by the Wii hype and Metroid Prime 3 was on a casual focused console and tried to appeal to a bigger audience with worse results. Metroid Prime 4 finally has a shot to make it big time. Everything is working in its favor.
Bad excuse for Prime 3. Wii sold tons and the people who weren't interested in the stuff like Wii Sports still bought the console because of stuff like Prime 3 and Twilight Princess. It didn't get the "casuals only" reputation until later when a lot of the promises of the Wii Remote didn't pan out and 3rd parties became less interested.

Bad excuse for Prime 3. Wii sold tons and the people who weren't interested in the stuff like Wii Sports still bought the console because of stuff like Prime 3 and Twilight Princess. It didn't get the "casuals only" reputation until later when a lot of the promises of the Wii Remote didn't pan out and 3rd parties became less interested.
I dont fully believe it was the wii's fault but i mean, it was the console where a 2d mario game outsold the main 3d games lmao.

That can all be laid right here, behold ai live moves motion record, aka 'waggle', behold, what single handedly killed the potential of motion controls:

I am referring specifically, to motion record, not AI live. AI live actually had an entire suite of really in depth motion control options, for every input state of the wiimote and Wii motion plus, including what was used for sports resort, red Steel II and Skyward Sword.

Motion record was just the fastest easiest option, designed for adding motion controls to an existing game, and shipping it right away.

However, practically nobody wanted to take the time to learn how to use a 3d spatial analog input. And so waggle crap it was, as far as the eye could see, pissing off everybody, and poisoning the motion control well.

Also i think Retro needs more then one game to refind their foot for good, so it will be good for both Nintendo and Retro to go with Prime 5 just to cement the team around Metroid, like the Prime Games did in the 2000s

A

Also i think Retro needs more then one game to refind their foot for good, so it will be good for both Nintendo and Retro to go with Prime 5 just to cement the team around Metroid, like the Prime Games did in the 2000s

A
I think you re suspect to say that that conaidering your name lul

For real, while i will obviously be happy to get more Prime games, i do hope that if mp4 is a success retro will really try to create a second team because i dont want them making "only" prime games for what, 15 years? Lol

I think you re suspect to say that that conaidering your name lul

For real, while i will obviously be happy to get more Prime games, i do hope that if mp4 is a success retro will really try to create a second team because i dont want them making "only" prime games for what, 15 years? Lol
I mean if they where doing a 3D Donkey Kong i would say the same thing, i mean Retro became Retro cementig themeselves on one IP for years and then doing another one

For an example if by the time of Prime 5(or even Prime 6) DK is with other people, i think Wario cam be a good choice

So anyone think we have a chance of seeing MP4 when the Prime remaster gets unveiled. I know this probably sounds crazy but I am following a bit of logic, the game has been in development for 3.5 years so the game has to be in a state where they can make at least a teaser trailer for it and the last 2 Metroid announcements have also mentioned MP4, Samus Returns had the MP4 announcement and Dread had a very short MP4 development update. I can’t see Nintendo announcing The Prime remaster without giving us an update on Prime 4 and assuming the game is probably only a year out this could be the moment they choose to show it?

So anyone think we have a chance of seeing MP4 when the Prime remaster gets unveiled. I know this probably sounds crazy but I am following a bit of logic, the game has been in development for 3.5 years so the game has to be in a state where they can make at least a teaser trailer for it and the last 2 Metroid announcements have also mentioned MP4, Samus Returns had the MP4 announcement and Dread had a very short MP4 development update. I can’t see Nintendo announcing The Prime remaster without giving us an update on Prime 4 and assuming the game is probably only a year out this could be the moment they choose to show it?
Only if Metroid Prime Remaster is announced in a General Direct

Metroid Prime 4 has another Art Director,heres his portfolio
Some Metroid like excerpts
750x0_p1bf8nlfibhol1mte1qtc72l15ue3.jpg

750x0_p1bfif8p0m1chusodi7b1hek2o7.jpg

750x0_p1bf8p0c8fk02efjt526eb47u3.jpg

p1bf3ebavkodr69i91ja68cec4.jpg

p1bfb8k6dv1of41otfjc21cojdl18.jpg

p1bdicddgbhvebkc3bq10v41j2n6.jpg

p1bdckcjja1v7e1seluml1j6917o14.jpg

p1bdcam5bl11ne1tcnvk81ag61ttmc.jpg

BoP25rF.png

Last edited:
I dont think anyone needs to be worried about MP4. Productions value wise at least its going to be hte most impressive nintendo game ever released.

Last edited:
I dont think anyone needs to be worried about MP4. Productions value wise at least its going to be hte most impressive nintendo game ever released.

Yeah, it's visuals are the one aspect I'm not worried about at all. Retro have always had some of the best artists in the industry and they'll surly have it running at 60fps.

no way, maybe on the switch 2
At this point, considering we're supposedly so close to seeing new hardware, I wouldn't really mind it being exclusive to the Switch successor. Whatever's best for the game. Definitely not interested in 30 FPS.

At this point, considering we're supposedly so close to seeing new hardware, I wouldn't really mind it being exclusive to the Switch successor. Whatever's best for the game. Definitely not interested in 30 FPS.
that would be disrespectful to the switch owners who waited a whole gen for the game, it should be crossgen.
Why not? They have GameCube games running at a locked 60.
That is true, but i often think its not a good argument. We re assuming MP4 will have the same design mindset that the trilogy had. Even imagining that MP4 wont be open world (which isnt a guarantee) it will most likely have much, much larger and much denser rooms.

that would be disrespectful to the switch owners who waited a whole gen for the game, it should be crossgen.

That is true, but i often think its not a good argument. We re assuming MP4 will have the same design mindset that the trilogy had. Even imagining that MP4 wont be open world (which isnt a guarantee) it will most likely have much, much larger and much denser rooms.

I'm more just considering Retro themselves as a studio. The DK games were 60 as well, it's obviously important to them.

That's fair. It was announced for the Switch, after all. I'm only approaching it from a standpoint of not wanting to see the devs compromise. Prime 1-3 were 60 FPS, and offered a highly fluid play experience as a result, so I'd expect the same from 4. The Prime subseries is notable for its technical achievements, among other factors. I'm operating under the assumption that the gameplay this time around will be the most fluid and intricate yet, which only intensifies my desire for the smoothest overall experience they can muster. Hopefully it all works out. Not too worried, either way.

SD was easier to do than HD, especially considering the GC was the last time nintendo had decent hardware comparative for the time. Prime 3 was 60FPS on account of nintendo still holding onto SD graphics.

And Tropical Freeze...

If Prime remastered is real, I can't see them doing a framerate downgrade three generations later. And if we go from to Prime 4 from there without that same performance that would be very disappointing.

And Tropical Freeze...

If Prime remastered is real, I can't see them doing a framerate downgrade three generations later. And if we go from to Prime 4 from there without that same performance that would be very disappointing.
TF is a relatively simplistic game in 2D, not a proper comparison. Luigi's mansion 3 would be more apt. Prime remaster will be 60fps for sure (or at least I really hope so). Prime 4 won't be built on top of GC era textures.

Snznx2.jpg

TF is a relatively simplistic game in 2D, not a proper comparison. Luigi's mansion 3 would be more apt. Prime remaster will be 60fps for sure (or at least I really hope so). Prime 4 won't be built on top of GC era textures.
Both if you have good points. For me, i hope they pick up the trend of having a visual and a performance mode.

I thought rumors are saying the remaster is being built completely from the ground up in terms of visuals. In that case it will have nothing to do with GC era textures. We'll see haha.

In the end it will come down to what they choose to do. If they want 60, they'll have to decide what bells and whistles they want to sacrifice to achieve that.

I mean pikmin 4 was never officially revealed, barring miyamoto's comments
Yes. Prime was literally just revealed because that year we only got a 3DS game and they wanted to show people that they are committed to the IP even on Switch.

They surely wanted to avoid a new outrage right at Switch's first year.

Retro's main tech/engineer Tim Little (VP of Engineering and Technology - Responsible for all aspects of software development, IT and audio for the Studio), left the company last month after 14 years with the studio. Bummer.

Retro's main tech/engineer Tim Little (VP of Engineering and Technology - Responsible for all aspects of software development, IT and audio for the Studio), left the company last month after 14 years with the studio. Bummer.
damn, wish him the best. Hopefully he gave one last go at what he wanted to do with prime 4 before leaving.

The 60 vs 30 argument is solvable with knowing retro's intentions. If they want 60fps, we'll get it. Cuts will be made to achieve it. Simple as that.

That's a long time for a western company. Hope they laid a good foundation for the future

The 60 vs 30 argument is solvable with knowing retro's intentions. If they want 60fps, we'll get it. Cuts will be made to achieve it. Simple as that.
It's not that easy, the metroid prime games are known more for their visual flair than they are for running at 60FPS. The switch is in a position where it can't really do both, especially not for a major 3D game. I would prefer if the visual fidelity dropped for 60FPS (or for the next nintendo system to have a 60FPS option without having to sacrifice visuals) but realistically Nintendo/Retro isn't going to go for frame rate over visuals for prime 4

I'll take graphics as good as we can reasonably get them, with the game targeting 60 FPS. Obviously I'd love a beautiful game that also performs to a high standard, but Metroid should always prioritize framerate, imo, unless it's something like a point and click adventure game with detective Samus Aran on the case.

metroid should prioritize visuals. Unless prime 4 is going doom levels its not the kinda game that requires 60fps. On gc it was known as one of the most gorgeous games in the gen, and on switch its going to need all the textures it can get lol

I'll take graphics as good as we can reasonably get them, with the game targeting 60 FPS. Obviously I'd love a beautiful game that also performs to a high standard, but Metroid should always prioritize framerate, imo, unless it's something like a point and click adventure game with detective Samus Aran on the case.
Easiest thing to me would be to give options. Switch can have "Performance" or "Graphics" modes. Its successor can bypass that and have 60fps with the best visuals.

Back
Top Bottom