• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler Metroid Dread | Sequence Breaking Thread

D

Deleted member 2

I'm on playthrough #2 for Dread, having already completed my first run to 100%. Thought I'd spend this run messing around and seeing what I can do that early.

So far I haven't found anything before the Varia Suit, but it looks like pretty much immediately afterwards you can get the Grapple and the Bombs early.

Has anybody else been trying to break the critical sequence of Metroid Dread with any luck?

What cool tutorial videos have you found?

And as soon as I posted this, I successfully pulled off unlocking the Yellow Teleportal right after getting the Varia suit. Let's see what this can lead to.

I've done the early grapple beam/early bombs skip and one-shotted Kraid! It was incredibly satisfying. I'm working into a hard sub-4h run now and I'll see if I can manage to do early Gravity Suit/Super Missiles. It's just way too fun to sequence break.

Here's a great video on how to get the Grapple and the Bombs early, and how to get the OHKO on Kraid's second phase.

Just pulled it off myself. The only tricky part is one room that requires two pretty technical jumps, but it wasn't hard.

Early Grapple + Bombs is rather easy to pull of and implement into a run.

Once you get Ice Missiles you can go for early Grav Suit, but this is a rather major sequence break as it changes your route through the remainder of the game quite significantly. It forces you towards frozen Artaria/Cataris, meaning you have to fight the Experiment early. However, this means you also get to pick up Screw Attack early. It is fun, but shuffles things around a lot.

I'm waiting for people to come up with an easy, consistent under 4 hour route before I do another run.
I've heard tell that you can just do the standard route and get under 4 hours pretty consistently if you're quick with your boss fights and efficient with your movement

...and don't spend too long on shine spark puzzles

I'm waiting for people to come up with an easy, consistent under 4 hour route before I do another run.
I've heard tell that you can just do the standard route and get under 4 hours pretty consistently if you're quick with your boss fights and efficient with your movement

...and don't spend too long on shine spark puzzles
This is accurate. I did it on my second overall playthrough and first hard mode run with about 20 minutes to spare. I only grabbed energy tanks and missile expansions that were on the way and quick, but that turned out to be a surprising number.

Making use of the restart from checkpoint option was also useful when I realized I spent several minutes going the wrong way. Reloading resets the timer to where it was at the checkpoint.

I cannot master that slide jump you need to get the grapple and bomb early.

Edit: got it. That's a tricky trick.

Last edited:
I cannot master that slide jump you need to get the grapple and bomb early.

Edit: got it. That's a tricky trick.

It took me a while too. I didn't know it was pretty much like DKC roll jumps (in which you can just jump in midair and the game won't care lol) and kept trying to time it with Samus still on the floor

This is an odd one. More of a glitch than a real sequence break, but maybe it could lead to a skip in the future.

not a sequence break in the normal sense, but a glitch that can be used for speedrunning

the top speedrun is down to 94.5 minutes right now and it's only been a week (about 20 minutes have been shaved off since runs done this weekend). looking forward to the first sub-90, sub-80, etc.

I tried sequence breaking in my second run and somehow managed to make the game take longer. Still managed a sub 4 hour run, but man did it set me back.

Probably need to start reading guides from the beginning.

I've seen some of the videos that sequence break in Dread, and I have to say these players are super creative and sneaky in their attempts. You can kind of see where you can potentially sequence break(slanted morph ball ramps, hidden walls etc.), but the timing needed and button skills is immense. I'm going to try some of them out in my second attempt at the game.

It took me a while too. I didn't know it was pretty much like DKC roll jumps (in which you can just jump in midair and the game won't care lol) and kept trying to time it with Samus still on the floor
Exactly how I kept messing it up, at least the second jump with a ceiling in the way. I like that they place the Energy Part in the prior room that you can practice the technique.

Even better than a full spread of storm missiles?
It's hard to say without doing the actual math, but I think so. I guess it depends on how consistently you are able to unload all 5 of them. Then there's the fact that you have to recharge it in between and lose charge if you are hit during charging makes it less consistent, imo.

Storm Missiles are good burst damage, but for DPS my gut says simply spamming beam should be better.

My understanding, from trawling the speedrunning discord and the speedrun dot com forum for the game, is that the final Beam does 80 damage per shot and the Ice Missiles do 400, so you'd need to tap Beam shots 5 times faster than Ice Missiles can fire in order to match DPS

This is definitely possible, but for most players I don't think it's practical

Storm Missiles apparently hit 3 times for 150 each, per lock-on, so 450 per lock-on, which can be better than Ice Missiles (and they're better at stripping armor or destroying shields) but in a lot of cases you're probably better off using Ice Missiles

For me it's going to be dependent on the boss you're fighting. But, generally, I think Ice Missiles will do me just fine. My old joints can't take the kind of rapidfire tapping you'd need to out-DPS them with a Beam

Alright fam, I just did my first sequence break and now I'm lost. I got bombs early using a newer method (slide-wall jumping in an EMMI zone in Dairon after acquiring Varia Suit linearly) but seemingly can't backtrack to Cataris because of grapple beam walls (this strat doesn't require you to get grapple beam early). I got to Burenia and acquired Flash Shift, so do I play through the game linearly now to acquire Speed Booster, or do I have to pull off another sequence break first?

Holy shit, sequence breaking in this game is so fun. I got bombs early as I mentioned before, then grapple beam, then kicked Kraid's ass with the one-shot trick for diffusion beam, then played linearly until I unlocked speed booster, then pulled off a crazy shinespark slope trick in the icy room top left of Dairon to head to Ghavoran and get super missiles early. Just entered Ferenia for the first time, killed the Chozo Warrior, found the new route back to Dairon, and called it a day for now.

Speedruns of this will be insane. I'm not one to attempt them though but they'll be fun to watch.

Holy crap, I'm on Z-57 in my sequence break run on Hard mode without space jump or storm missiles and it's just nightmarish. Does anyone have any pointers? Should I actually sacrifice time to get storm missiles or what? Because this seems ridiculous

Holy crap, I'm on Z-57 in my sequence break run on Hard mode without space jump or storm missiles and it's just nightmarish. Does anyone have any pointers? Should I actually sacrifice time to get storm missiles or what? Because this seems ridiculous
I'm assuming you at least have the spin boost?

The first phase is easy enough with ice missiles. Nothing's really different about this part, just keep hitting him when he's doing the beam attack and counter if he gives the opportunity.

The second phase, get used to aiming missiles on the run. You can take out a few legs pretty easily this way when it does that thing where it grabs the wall at 4 points (always the first attack of this phase I think) which should end the attack early. You can also anticipate the attack since it always leads with it, get to one of the walls, and shoot three missiles straight up to quickly take out your first leg.

In my experience, 4/5 times the second attack in the second phase will be the wind with the stuff to jump through. The pattern is always the same, so you should be relatively okay after learning it even with just the spin boost. You can charge a shine spark near the end of this attack and end it with one hit (look up a video if you need the timing).

I'm assuming you at least have the spin boost?

The first phase is easy enough with ice missiles. Nothing's really different about this part, just keep hitting him when he's doing the beam attack and counter if he gives the opportunity.

The second phase, get used to aiming missiles on the run. You can take out a few legs pretty easily this way when it does that thing where it grabs the wall at 4 points (always the first attack of this phase I think) which should end the attack early. You can also anticipate the attack since it always leads with it, get to one of the walls, and shoot three missiles straight up to quickly take out your first leg.

In my experience, 4/5 times the second attack in the second phase will be the wind with the stuff to jump through. The pattern is always the same, so you should be relatively okay after learning it even with just the spin boost. You can charge a shine spark near the end of this attack and end it with one hit (look up a video if you need the timing).
Haha, I actually ended up doing the shinespark and beat him. Well past that point now, but man, it's tough to beat this in under 4 hours on hard! I'm already over 4 with some sequence breaking, but I got lost. I'll have to look up a guide for the optimized route if I want to try again sometime in the future. Thanks!

Haha, I actually ended up doing the shinespark and beat him. Well past that point now, but man, it's tough to beat this in under 4 hours on hard! I'm already over 4 with some sequence breaking, but I got lost. I'll have to look up a guide for the optimized route if I want to try again sometime in the future. Thanks!
I don't think deaths add to the timer, and enemies don't have extra health on hard, so beating it under 4 hours shouldn't be very different from normal.

I love this thread

with the early screwattack now there's no need to ever fight Z-57, right?

Still can’t believe I managed to do it (and also the next trick for early Screw Attack) ^^

Speed runs have started to be added to Speed run.com now with various categories.

Never know if something crazy will be found to knock off another 30mins and get under an hour like Mario Odyssey

watched one of those videos and apparently I sequence-broke the Gravity Suit?? How / when do you normally get it??

I feel so fancy!

I don't get how those charge beam bricks work before you have charge beam. It looks super easy to do in all the videos but I just tried everything I can think of to make the beams register the red vein on the other end (also rockets) but nothing worked.

It seems like, just as a time-saving thing, getting the Grapple Beam sequence break immediately after killing Kraid is probably more time-efficient than trying to get it before killing him; going for bombs before him seems almost like a time loss

How simple is it to get an under 4 hour run without sequence breaking at all? I haven't memorized the linear path, as I've only had one 14 hour play through, but am hoping that as along as I just persist through the game I should make good timing. Do I have to skip cutscenes to keep time down too? Look at the map to pause time? Reset to checkpoint if I get lost to reset time?

watched one of those videos and apparently I sequence-broke the Gravity Suit?? How / when do you normally get it??

I feel so fancy!
I’m pretty sure you’re supposed to go to Burenia after getting the Space Jump and taking a long, meandering route to the bottom of the ocean. The sequence break can happen any time after Ice Missiles and involves shinesparking to the Green teleporter in Ghavoran, then doing the chained Shinespark sequence to get the Missile + pickup and getting the Gravity Suit right after that.

It seems like, just as a time-saving thing, getting the Grapple Beam sequence break immediately after killing Kraid is probably more time-efficient than trying to get it before killing him; going for bombs before him seems almost like a time loss
Going for bombs before Kraid definitely is slower. The way I’ll do it from now on is Normal Kraid kill -> Grapple Beam -> Bombs

How simple is it to get an under 4 hour run without sequence breaking at all? I haven't memorized the linear path, as I've only had one 14 hour play through, but am hoping that as along as I just persist through the game I should make good timing. Do I have to skip cutscenes to keep time down too? Look at the map to pause time? Reset to checkpoint if I get lost to reset time?
As long as you have a good idea where to go, you should be fine. Dying doesn’t result in lost time because the timer will reset to before your most recent checkpoint. Looking at the map pauses the timer. Skipping cutscenes doesn’t actually save time, because the game counts the time for the cutscene even if you skipped it. And yes, you can cheese it a bit by intentionally dying or loading a save to reset your time if you get lost.

Last night I managed a 3:31, and that was after getting massively lost and turned around in the second half.

As long as you have a good idea where to go, you should be fine. Dying doesn’t result in lost time because the timer will reset to before your most recent checkpoint. Looking at the map pauses the timer. Skipping cutscenes doesn’t actually save time, because the game counts the time for the cutscene even if you skipped it. And yes, you can cheese it a bit by intentionally dying or loading a save to reset your time if you get lost.

Last night I managed a 3:31, and that was after getting massively lost and turned around in the second half.
I'm also debating making it a Hard Mode run too, but I read somewhere that I'd still need to make an under 4 hour run in Normal Mode to unlock the art stuff.

I don't get how those charge beam bricks work before you have charge beam. It looks super easy to do in all the videos but I just tried everything I can think of to make the beams register the red vein on the other end (also rockets) but nothing worked.

Well, first you absolutly need Charge Beam & Diffusion Beam. This glitch can't be done without Diffusion Beam and it is thanks to the Melee hit while running that Samus can, by crouching, spread the Diffusion through the wall. To do so, you also need to unleash the Charge shot not by releasing the Fire button, but by using the Morph ball (ZL) button.

Note : It is still pretty hard to do. Apparently the spread effect is linked to a timer. Speedrunner Hardpelicn manage to reproduce the correct shot every time by using the movement of a monster as a metronome.

Here's a more detailed video about this glitch :

There's also another "Fake Wave Beam" effect you can do to shoot through walls and even with the Grapple but can't be used for this :

@Kevin360 :
I'm also debating making it a Hard Mode run too, but I read somewhere that I'd still need to make an under 4 hour run in Normal Mode to unlock the art stuff
To unlock everything, you have to finish Normal Mode & Hard Mode under 4 hours (In game time).

Well, first you absolutly need Charge Beam & Diffusion Beam. This glitch can't be done without Diffusion Beam and it is thanks to the Melee hit while running that Samus can, by crouching, spread the Diffusion through the wall. To do so, you also need to unleash the Charge shot not by releasing the Fire button, but by using the Morph ball (ZL) button.

Note : It is still pretty hard to do. Apparently the spread effect is linked to a timer. Speedrunner Hardpelicn manage to reproduce the correct shot every time by using the movement of a monster as a metronome.

Here's a more detailed video about this glitch :

There's also another "Fake Wave Beam" effect you can do to shoot through walls and even with the Grapple but can't be used for this :

To unlock everything, you have to finish Normal Mode & Hard Mode under 4 hours (In game time).

No, no I didn't mean your specific one. I meant the one you do literally right away to avoid the tutorial EMMI.

I've now successfully managed to do the First E.M.M.I Skip and the early Phantom Cloak Sequence Break :)
This one. I can't figure out how to aim my beam so it hits the red spot.

No, no I didn't mean your specific one. I meant the one you do literally right away to avoid the tutorial EMMI.
Oh, I see !

Yeah, I never managed to do it a single time, while the new fake Wave beam I can do it most of the time (even with the Grapple).

So I've been eyeballing some of the sequence breaks possible through some glitches, and I have to admit I have neither the patience nor the inclination to learn the pseudo wave beam

Is there any way to get the Screw Attack early without using the PWB? Water bomb jump, sure, but I can't find anything about getting the Space Jump early without the PWB; is it possible to go back for the Screw Attack after getting the Space Jump through normal progression?

So I've been eyeballing some of the sequence breaks possible through some glitches, and I have to admit I have neither the patience nor the inclination to learn the pseudo wave beam

Is there any way to get the Screw Attack early without using the PWB? Water bomb jump, sure, but I can't find anything about getting the Space Jump early without the PWB; is it possible to go back for the Screw Attack after getting the Space Jump through normal progression?
I think you can get Space Jump by breaking the bomb blocks in the bottom right from the corridor to the right of the water. I have to check again, but I think that's how Oats and Goats got it on a run yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom