• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Metaphor: ReFantazio announced by Atlus, releasing on Oct 11th [Read Staff Post]

An Atlus game without dlc would have been weird. But we already knew that Metaphor was using their internal engine ever since it was announced.

First one was pretty obvious, but the second is nice to know. I'm curious which engine P6 is on.
Didn’t we know this months ago? I remember commenting that the game looked like P5, but during ancient Egypt

And guess Switch 2 is getting the RePhantazio the Egyptian Edition two years from now

Switch is destined to be the Deluxe Edition Persona machine

Releasing October 11th.

1713823577677.png

Music is great, very different from typical Persona music.

The not-Personas are calles Archetypes.

1713824413369.png

Many of these systems feel like reskinned Persona systems, I was hoping it would be a bigger departure.

Looks fun though, I was thinking of waiting for an inevitable Switch port, but if this is how it looks on stronger consoles I may just grab it on PS5 lol.

I will say the boxart is not great lol. Steelbook is the way to go.

Also we got a pic of the japanese (exclusive?) collectors edition

pQA5KSu.png

I really expected them to delay this until it looked like not shit, but I guess they're just... not going to do that?

Also, kind of shocked at how unoriginal this looks after so many years in development.

Kind of like Judas, where you expected it to look like trash and be written like trash, but the lack of originality is actually surprising.

Not gonna lie, left this presentation pretty whelmed overall. I think the presentation itself was rather poor to begin with, but I still don’t really get the general hook of this game. They keep reiterating the whole “going on a journey” thing, which is about as generic of a premise as it gets. Feels like they barely touched on anything with any sort of substance, like they were going down a checklist. Still have no idea whatsoever what the turn-based combat system is, and saying “you have jobs” doesn’t mean anything either.

Also, the UI has lost its luster for me. Artistically very beautiful, but it’s also really messy to look at and isn’t particularly clear. Maybe it’s better when you’re playing, but my initial impression after seeing it in motion is not positive.

I still don't really like how this looks visually, it's very muddy and busy.

I'll probably still end up getting it though, I'm intrigued by the election premise. Also means this will be my third Atlus game this year after Reload and Vengeance.

Looks fun to me. Liking the overworld/exploration stuff and the general vibe and unique locations. Love the weird architecture and ideas.

Definitely looks like a PS3 game, but I can deal. Unlike Persona 5, the textures aren't simple/bold enough to look as smeary as they do or for what they are going for.

UI is pretty, but I imagine hard to parse after a day at work.

Hopefully the "journey" stuff actually lines up well. I am kind of tired of static town locations and long quest/dialogue chains and doing social links for 2 hours before returning to dungeons and combat so I hope the balance is better here.

Looks like 14 base Archetypes with each having at least 1-3 upgraded versions. Here's what I've spotted (from this video timestamp)

• Gunner Tree: Gunner -> Sniper -> ?
  • Merchant Tree: Merchant -> ?
  • Knight Tree: Knight -> Magic Knight -> Dark Knight/Paladin
  • Thief Tree: Thief -> Assassin -> ?
  • Warrior Tree: Warrior -> Swordmaster -> Samurai
  • Commander Tree: Commander -> General -> ?
  • Brawler Tree: Brawler -> Pugilist -> ?
  • Healer Tree: Healer -> Cleric -> ?
  • Seeker Tree: Seeker -> Magic Seeker -> ?
  • Faker Tree: Faker -> ?
  • Mage Tree: Mage -> Wizard -> ?/?
    And then three empty trees
Seems like it should be a good variety, each class has 20 ranks to level up through so should be more than enough progression to carry things as well. Lot of standard JRPG stuff but Faker and Commander sound pretty interesting from what's here

What remains to be seen is if you can carry over job passives between classes, which imo is basically the key thing that makes job systems interesting in JRPGs

The combat system seems to be a Press Turn variant, the little crystal doohickies on the top left of the screen represent your turns, and hitting weaknesses does seem to consume a half turn like you'd expect from SMT. Main twist I can see so far is the new Synthesis command, which seems to allow you to use multiple turns to use more powerful skills. This also consumes a half turn for all used turns if you hit a weakness (so if you use a two-turn cost Synthesis and hit a weakness you'll have two half turns left). Seems like Synthesis is where you'll get your usual multi-target skills this time around, at least in the early game (you can see Matarukaja and Gacyc (the presumed multi-target Wind spell) under the Seeker's Synthesis skills)

Synthesis may also be tied to party comp? Though that's speculation on my end since the description in the Battle UI is "Team up". They're very much tied to Archetypes though, and we do see one unlock after they switch to the all-Brawler party and initiate combat (so maybe the Team Up part refers to learning the Synthesis and you need a specific amount of Brawlers to unlock the Synthesis?)

This looks incredible and is hitting every possible positive note for me. I love the look of it, that art style is so good - and the music! And a mobile campsite of sorts, with character bonding, activities.... whew. I was already looking forward to this but this just shot up to my #1 hype game of the year with ease. Bring on October!

Broadly I like the visuals but I’m not a fan of the interface with text coming up on wacky angles and alignments. It’s just style over substance (or in this case legibility). Even the black and white menu screens have so many harsh white lines that it’s not that easy to read.

Broadly I like the visuals but I’m not a fan of the interface with text coming up on wacky angles and alignments. It’s just style over substance (or in this case legibility). Even the black and white menu screens have so many harsh white lines that it’s not that easy to read.
I'm actually really digging that. The whole angle street theme, the menus, the transition animations - it's style on top of style on top of just pure UI deliciousness and I am here for it.

Love the range of accents they've got in this
Always happy to hear my fellow Scots but we've also got Welsh and Liverpudlian's in alongside the more standard English accents. I appreciate that diversity so much

Rewatched it at my own pace and this is what I'm looking for in a jrpg right now so I'm pretty excited. Premise of the story is interesting and the combat looks like it has some depth to it with the different classes and stuff so I'm down. Has that kind of weirdness I like from Atlus.

Last edited:
I really don't like time limits, but other than that this looks really promising. I'll wait for a potential Switch 2 release, though.

There's a nonzero chance I burn out on Atlus RPGs by the time this comes out between SMTVV and P5R sitting in my backlog, but if not I'm pretty damn interested in this

Really want to hear more about the Archetype system though, hoping there's a way to carry over Skills between them. Otherwise I'm afraid the system might not actually end up that impactful compared to your typical Atlus demon based systems

Love the range of accents they've got in this
Always happy to hear my fellow Scots but we've also got Welsh and Liverpudlian's in alongside the more standard English accents. I appreciate that diversity so much
If I had 5p for every time a JRPG I'm hyped for (but which has problematic attitudes to women that I feel conflicted about) was also a rare opportunity to hear my own accent in a videogame, I'd have 10p. Which isn't a lot but it's weird it happened twice.

If I had 5p for every time a JRPG I'm hyped for (but which has problematic attitudes to women that I feel conflicted about) was also a rare opportunity to hear my own accent in a videogame, I'd have 10p. Which isn't a lot but it's weird it happened twice.
At the moment I think a lot of games development is still stuck in really wanting to comment on social issues while still really wanting to objectify young women at the same time, leading to the outright hypocrisy of P5 (amongst many other titles).

Last edited:
Game looks good, but I’ll probably wait for the Switch 2 port, that will be the definitive edition, because Midori has stated that the game will have DLC.

Like I’m quite surprised how often Altus does the definitive editions of their games that included extra content (most of the time including a better story) Like SMT5, persona 3,5 and even 4. I’m still bummed that the answer is locked behind an expansion, despite some consumers wasting 70+dollar and also not letting the people who bought the aigis edition not get the DLC included for their purchase is a crime.

Sorry for the rant. Overall I’m excited for the definitive edition to release.

Game looks good, but I’ll probably wait for the Switch 2 port, that will be the definitive edition, because Midori has stated that the game will have DLC.

Like I’m quite surprised how often Altus does the definitive editions of their games that included extra content (most of the time including a better story) Like SMT5, persona 3,5 and even 4. I’m still bummed that the answer is locked behind an expansion, despite some consumers wasting 70+dollar and also not letting the people who bought the aigis edition not get the DLC included for their purchase is a crime.

Sorry for the rant. Overall I’m excited for the definitive edition to release.
If it means anything, I believe SMTV:V is going to be the last time a rerelease like this that happen. Midori slightly confirmed it, but generally Atlus seems to be moving away from the "enhanced rerelease" thing. Persona 3 Reload's Episode Aigis is a good sign of things to come, if only because we don't need to rebuy entire games to get a better and more complete experience.

Also, because i haven't commented on this thread before, I'm going to give my full thoughts on Metaphor: ReFantazio from what i've seen...

Holy shit this might legit be my most excited game now. It looks so fucking gorgeous, the concept for the game is amazing, the character designs and world ideas are incredible, the gameplay (both in-dungeon and in the calmer city segments) feel like natural evolutions upon Haseno's previous ideas with Persona that feel excellent specifically in the world of the game. I absolutely cannot wait.

If it means anything, I believe SMTV:V is going to be the last time a rerelease like this that happen. Midori slightly confirmed it, but generally Atlus seems to be moving away from the "enhanced rerelease" thing. Persona 3 Reload's Episode Aigis is a good sign of things to come, if only because we don't need to rebuy entire games to get a better and more complete experience.

Also, because i haven't commented on this thread before, I'm going to give my full thoughts on Metaphor: ReFantazio from what i've seen...

Holy shit this might legit be my most excited game now. It looks so fucking gorgeous, the concept for the game is amazing, the character designs and world ideas are incredible, the gameplay (both in-dungeon and in the calmer city segments) feel like natural evolutions upon Haseno's previous ideas with Persona that feel excellent specifically in the world of the game. I absolutely cannot wait.
Good point, but I’m probably salty because I bought SMT5 in December and no longer feel like finishing the game. Since I’m playing an inferior version.

What exactly am I seeing when I see what looks like action gameplay? Is that just how the turnbased combat is presented?
I dunno which trailer you're watching exactly, but there's 2 entirely separate systems - the action based combat on the overworld to clean up weaker enemies and weaken stronger ones, and you can transition to turn-based combat at any time by pressing the "Squad" button (which seems to be Y on Xbox controllers).

Back
Top Bottom