• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Metaphor: ReFantazio announced by Atlus, releasing on Oct 11th [Read Staff Post]

A speaking protagonist is quite the change compared to other Atlus games. And I think it's for the better.

It is a risk, but also a chance. Atlus can freely create new enemy desings, and together with the non-silent protagonist and the unique setting, Metaphor can be an experience they've never done before.

I saw the speaking protagonist, that's a plus, seems like something going forward, fingers cross.

Yes, settings and characters that is an area of strength, but I do hope that risk pays off. I want to see interesting and cool looking enemies since they arent bound by demon designs.

So RePhantazio might be a game Atlus uses to explore stuff they don’t do with SMT and Persona
Well, their experiment with Soul Hackers 2 failed miserably although the game was somewhat ok, doing this one more time but with a new IP makes no sense to me. Both Sega and Square should give up on making big ass JRPG's with no Nintendo version before losing any more money. Or just back them with a big and expensive marketing push similar to Tales of Arise.

I have no doubt Unicorn Overlord will be more successful than this.

Well, their experiment with Soul Hackers 2 failed miserably although the game was somewhat ok, doing this one more time but with a new IP makes no sense to me. Both Sega and Square should give up on making big ass JRPG's with no Nintendo version before losing any more money. Or just back them with a big and expensive marketing push similar to Tales of Arise.

I'm sure ff7 rebirth will sell loads like the first ff7 remake, atlus is just more niche so they are not going to do that great overall. Even so did smtv sell really well, I never followed its sales figured

I'm sure ff7 rebirth will sell loads like the first ff7 remake, atlus is just more niche so they are not going to do that great overall. Even so did smtv sell really well, I never followed its sales figured
SMTV cleared 1 Million copies sold, I believe that's the last sales update we have for it. Which is still really good, and makes it the best-selling SMT game by a good margin!

For comparison FF7 Remake sold 7 Million as of September 2023 (all versions/releases + Intergrade). Persona 5 sold 7.2 Million as of April 2023 (All versions of P5 + P5 Royal). Atlus is definitely generally more niche, but Persona really took off with 5 + 5R, so it remains to be seen how much of the P5 sales will carry over to something like Metaphor considering it's a new IP, not a Persona game, and also (presumably, barring a Switch 2 launch) not on Switch. They're obviously trying to market it as being from all the same Persona 5 people and it has a ton of similarities to Persona, but will that be enough to grab fans and equate to sales? I imagine that it has no chance of getting near P5R unless it's very good and has great WOM or comes to Switch. I guess it does have PC going for it.

lmao

I actually had Valkyrie Elysium and Star Ocean 6 in mind when I said Square. FF is massive it'll always sell well. Well, maybe if it's only on xbox lol

SMTV cleared 1 Million copies sold, I believe that's the last sales update we have for it. Which is still really good, and makes it the best-selling SMT game by a good margin!

For comparison FF7 Remake sold 7 Million as of September 2023 (all versions/releases + Intergrade). Persona 5 sold 7.2 Million as of April 2023 (All versions of P5 + P5 Royal). Atlus is definitely generally more niche, but Persona really took off with 5 + 5R, so it remains to be seen how much of the P5 sales will carry over to something like Metaphor considering it's a new IP, not a Persona game, and also (presumably, barring a Switch 2 launch) not on Switch. They're obviously trying to market it as being from all the same Persona 5 people and it has a ton of similarities to Persona, but will that be enough to grab fans and equate to sales? I imagine that it has no chance of getting near P5R unless it's very good and has great WOM or comes to Switch. I guess it does have PC going for it.
Persona 5 had strong legs, and Royal helped it more, but I don’t think RePhantazio will sell a lot. It could maybe be a SMTV situation. It’ll sell well, but not P5 well.

And from the looks of it, it won’t have that same Marketing hook P5 had

Don’t really see the comparison to SH2 beyond them both being made by Atlus. Metaphor is getting a much bigger marketing push, looks way more ambitious than SH2 ever did, and has “from the creators of Persona” plastered all over the place.

If a Vanillaware tactics game outsells it, I’d be floored.

New screenshots from the Famitsu article. Twitter compression sucks so Ill see if I can find a better quality

While the menu is on par with the newer Persona games, I am not a fan of the color/style of it. It kinda makes it busy that it might be hard to read, maybe they will change the color of the words, who knows.

This will get a Nintendo version, just on Switch 2 instead of Switch.

It'll do fine even without one though, it's a followup to one of the most beloved games from the PS4 gen.

The handling of the story feels like SMT + Social Links/Confidants
Pretty much right from the jump this game looked like it was taking a lot of things from both SMT and Persona and mashing them together - Sort of like if you did a Persona 6, except set it in a fantasy/Isekai? world and added in a lot more SMT elements to it. Which sounds pretty good to me, it just remains to be seen how well it's executed. I'd like to see a deeper dive into the combat system and how whatever the demon/persona equivalents work. But we still have almost a year, so lots of time for them to clarify all that.

Pretty much right from the jump this game looked like it was taking a lot of things from both SMT and Persona and mashing them together - Sort of like if you did a Persona 6, except set it in a fantasy/Isekai? world and added in a lot more SMT elements to it. Which sounds pretty good to me, it just remains to be seen how well it's executed. I'd like to see a deeper dive into the combat system and how whatever the demon/persona equivalents work. But we still have almost a year, so lots of time for them to clarify all that.
how circular

Who that? A known insider?

If both really are successor bound, I hope Sega dates them for 2025. The launch window will be a straight up bloodbath.
Yes, they're the main Atlus insider.

And I think it'll be fine if one comes this year

This leaker is credible based on his past leaks that came to fruition.
Firstly the leaker is a girl and second, I have hear other stuff behind the scenes and have seen things that suggest otherwise.

Not gonna mention it here but just don't trust everything you see lol

Firstly the leaker is a girl and second, I have hear other stuff behind the scenes and have seen things that suggest otherwise.

Not gonna mention it here but just don't trust everything you see lol
At least her has been credible

At least her has been credible
I don't know that they have leaked much that suggests insider sources though. I'm pretty sure the P3 stuff broke from I'm a hero too on the other site, then Pan Hime and Midori (twitter leaker) found the web address at similar times, then with p5t all that could have just been them tracking web data, they thought P3R was coming to switch and announced it because it was on ATLUS' description by accident. Now they are just saying a lot of unconfirmed stuff. They tweet a lot so it's easy to just believe everything but the persona party game is apparently shelved now so there's no way of knowing if that's real, P6 is 2 years away and if thtey just guessed that P3R and Metaphor were coming to Switch 2 - I mean that's just a pretty safe bet.

I'm not saying they don't know anything because they are tech savvy and track Atlus like a hawk, it's just that they might not be all too reliable. Even with this news, they are just repeating what I'm a hero too said on the other site a couple hours prior.

Wishlisting is up in some countries. Gives me vibes that it might come out this year.

Also more screenshots.

I will say, I really like the style of the game, but the lighting stand out a bit (the barrel picture) lol.

I would selfishly be down for a delay till the switch 2's launch because fomo but I doubt it.

Kind of same. I’m occasionally struggling to get into games on TV these days and am really craving a better hybrid / handheld offering.

Edit: This might be the year I try out a Backbone + Series X remote play. Reasonably confident in my WiFi, just less confident in the size of my phone screen making for a good experience.

I saw this on my feed from the "atlus leaker" as people call her. The xbox Hong Kong page has an "Issue Date" of October 12 2024. Could be a placeholder, could be nothing. Not an unreasonable date, I still think it gets delayed lol.

https://www.microsoft.com/zh-hk/p/暗喻幻想-refantazio/9n5dv8310xp7

October 12th is right where I’d expect it more or less, so that tracks. Maybe a smidge earlier than I thought but seems reasonable. I would say that’s a good date to get a few weeks of buffer before the big holiday releases, but we currently don’t know of any big holiday releases :D

October 12th is right where I’d expect it more or less, so that tracks. Maybe a smidge earlier than I thought but seems reasonable. I would say that’s a good date to get a few weeks of buffer before the big holiday releases, but we currently don’t know of any big holiday releases :D
Yeah I was in the boat of October or next year. Outside of the obvious COD release, there is a chance Dragon Age releases this year and that is a big rpg, that will get a BG3 boost, and who knows what else can show up.

Kind of same. I’m occasionally struggling to get into games on TV these days and am really craving a better hybrid / handheld offering.

Edit: This might be the year I try out a Backbone + Series X remote play. Reasonably confident in my WiFi, just less confident in the size of my phone screen making for a good experience.
Long games are just so much better with the hybrid format. This is gonna be a 60-100+ hour jrpg most likely, not being able to play it on the go is just really inefficient. I also just like having titles on a nintendo platform generally unless it's a competitive game

I’ve actually been wondering if the changes to how encounters work is going to result in a reduction in cannon fodder battles, resulting in overall lower encounter density, resulting in moderately reduced game length. But we (or perhaps just I) need to see more about the game before we can really consider that.

I’ve actually been wondering if the changes to how encounters work is going to result in a reduction in cannon fodder battles, resulting in overall lower encounter density, resulting in moderately reduced game length. But we (or perhaps just I) need to see more about the game before we can really consider that.
The only example that I could think is similar would be the Trails games. Daybreak, the one coming out, has the same encounter strategy of using action for mobs, Metaphor appears to be simpler we shall see, but in terms of length versus previous entries, there is no change 😅.

The average main story for the Trails games is between 40-60 hours, Daybreak has an average of 58, so on the higher end. And reading the description this seems to be a big game.

The only example that I could think is similar would be the Trails games. Daybreak, the one coming out, has the same encounter strategy of using action for mobs, Metaphor appears to be simpler we shall see, but in terms of length versus previous entries, there is no change 😅.

The average main story for the Trails games is between 40-60 hours, Daybreak has an average of 58, so on the higher end. And reading the description this seems to be a big game.
Yeah, that makes sense - when you make a change like that, you develop the gameplay around that change - which might just involve increasing the number of "significant" battles and perhaps the overall difficulty in this case, in which case you'd end up with a different "balance" of combat, but no real change in overall length. We'll have to wait for more details to really draw conclusions, but given the team involved, I think "not short" is a safe assumption for game length, lmao.

Metaphor: ReFantazio has been updated on the PSN Store with a new gameplay loop description.

• Go on quests, dungeon dive, & hunt for treasures by day. Strengthen relationships, build bonds, & increase virtues by night. Choose your actions wisely, time management is key to achieving your goal.

• Ride your “gauntlet runner” to faraway dungeons & towns across an expansive world. Discover beautiful landscapes  accompanied by captivating music, immersive UI, & anime cutscenes.

• A unique battle system combining turn based & real time action grants strategy & exhilaration at every turn. Party customization through “Archetypes” provides freedom to personalize your adventure.

• A mysterious & exciting story unfolds in a world where people must fight their own anxiety. Join the high-stakes Royal Tournament that promises hours of captivating exploration and discovery.

• Go on quests, dungeon dive, & hunt for treasures by day. Strengthen relationships, build bonds, & increase virtues by night. Choose your actions wisely, time management is key to achieving your goal.

Sounds familiar but I can't quite place it

Time management, dungeon crawling, relationship building, multiple towns? I mean this isn’t really news and is kind of expected but I’m all in. Maybe we can’t get Persona 6 for a while but this game looks to be a fresh take on the same ideas.

There is a show with more info on Metaphor next week, April 23. I dont know if the "Final" wording on the title means that its the final broadcast or simply a title name.

Back
Top Bottom