• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Master Detective Archives: Rain Code |ST| Everybody 1-2 be a Ghost Detective

Been quite some time since I last posted. Rain Code has been my primary game these past two weeks (despite now juggling three others and soon a fourth), but I had just been so busy I hadn’t made much progress. Thankfully the last two days especially I’ve both had more time to play games and I’m now pretty invested which has kept me more engaged. I finished the Mystery Labryinth for Chapter 2 at the start of today and just reached Chapter 3’s so I’m guessing I’m more than halfway through the game at this point.

I actually had some big trouble with Rain Code early on that actually made me wonder if I was going to have to drop the game. This is only a problem in the open world sections where the camera is just right up against Yuma and there’s no way to adjust it which was making me feel quite sick when playing. I only recall having a similar problem before playing one of the Batman Arkham games (I forget which one) where he would sometimes dominate too much of the screen. I don’t remember what I did for Batman (I think I just powered through?), but thankfully here I’ve learned to just look past Yuma since he is so small and thin which has helped keep me going.

And I’m glad I have! There’s a lot of fun characters to get to know like Halara and Vivia even if a few like Shinigami sadly can get repetitive with their worst gimmicks. The script has plenty of good jokes too and some fun reference jokes (an Ace Attorney stepladder joke and a Dragon Ball loading screen joke in chapter 2 were two of my favs) and the world has plenty of interesting quirks that make me want to explore Kanai Ward and uncover its mysteries. Also speaking of characters, the face game for the character portraits is excellent. Shinigami in her ghost form especially just has so many amazing faces its incredible lol.

The murder mysteries have definitely been getting more exciting since the prologue. The locked room mysteries of chapter 1 were satisfying to solve and link together, the fun investigation and ultimate solution of chapter 2 kept me guessing, and now a crime I’m not quite sure what’s going on with in chapter 3 even as I enter the labyrinth. There’s definitely moments here when I can guess what’s going on broadly quickly, but some of the red herrings have been effective and kept these cases interesting. Now that I’m out of the onslaught of tutorials too, the game is flowing a lot better.

Anyway yeah, I will be juggling another game soon, Boundless Trails, since I’m hosting my last planned ST for the year on it this week, but I’m eager to keep focusing mostly on Rain Code to see it through. The chapter 2 to 3 transition especially really has me hooked now.
Glad you're enjoying it! Chapter 1 was good and Chapter 2 was even better, I loved the concept around how you investigate it and how it plays out. Chapter 3... well... I personally feel like Chapter 3 is a pretty big step down, but it's all great from there on out! The game isn't super long, so with where you're at it shouldn't be too bad to finish it out time-wise.

Glad you're enjoying it! Chapter 1 was good and Chapter 2 was even better, I loved the concept around how you investigate it and how it plays out. Chapter 3... well... I personally feel like Chapter 3 is a pretty big step down, but it's all great from there on out! The game isn't super long, so with where you're at it shouldn't be too bad to finish it out time-wise.
That’s good to hear on both the time and quality fronts! (Feels like Fall is here and I’m not lol) I did pick up the DLC so I might just wait the last month to play all four of those, but I haven’t decided yet.

I’m about to start chapter 3’s mystery labyrinth soon today so that’ll make or break the chapter for me. If I finish it tonight, I’ll try to write a post on it :)

I finally got to playing this after finishing pikmin 4 and some other stuff. Finished case 0 and have started the prolugue. Have really dug the game thus far, piecing together the mystery was a lot of fun. This is the first adventure game like this I've ever really played.

I liked some of the investigation parts of chapter 3, but yeesh @SammyJ9 you were right that mystery labyrinth stunk. There was nothing to it.

There’s parts of this game that are just so signposted it’s silly. Like when we met the resistance group it’s like here’s the next group of suspects and then the moment the district floods it’s like well obviously the water guy did it lol. The only trick with this one was how did he get off the building and it was obvious he jumped off in some fashion and the explosion was involved. So the only challenge was just clicking on the cliff for me to acknowledge the storm drain 🙃.

Still liked some stuff this chapter like meeting the masked man twice, the start with being alone, and disarming the bombs. I wasn’t a big fan of Fubuki or Shinigami this chapter, but I did like Fubuki’s increasingly elaborate title for Yuma at least.

Regardless, excited to move into chapter 4 as I have been excited to get to know the character I’m guessing is at the heart of it.

I liked some of the investigation parts of chapter 3, but yeesh @SammyJ9 you were right that mystery labyrinth stunk. There was nothing to it.

There’s parts of this game that are just so signposted it’s silly. Like when we met the resistance group it’s like here’s the next group of suspects and then the moment the district floods it’s like well obviously the water guy did it lol. The only trick with this one was how did he get off the building and it was obvious he jumped off in some fashion and the explosion was involved. So the only challenge was just clicking on the cliff for me to acknowledge the storm drain 🙃.

Still liked some stuff this chapter like meeting the masked man twice, the start with being alone, and disarming the bombs. I wasn’t a big fan of Fubuki or Shinigami this chapter, but I did like Fubuki’s increasingly elaborate title for Yuma at least.

Regardless, excited to move into chapter 4 as I have been excited to get to know the character I’m guessing is at the heart of it.
Yeah, I wrote up a post a while back about how Chapter 3 just doesn’t really work, it’s weird. The mystery labyrinth and whodunnit are really boring and obvious, the entire setup of the mystery with meeting the new group and then giving you almost zero actual investigation time sucks, and the cool “power of the chapter” this time is… really bad QTEs. Just not great all around, other than some fun moments with Fubuki like you mentioned.

Chapter 4 is much better, though!

Got that game a little while ago and it was fun but god i really didn't liked the cringey comedy every few seconds otherwise loved the artstyle of it and the callbacks to dr and overall it was pretty decent.

so how good are ya'll finding this compared to like Danganronpa or Ace Attorney?

big VN/adventure fan here, just haven't been quite sold yet
I found it to be a worthy companion and its great that the adventure genre of games is getting more love these days then the fucking cod shit these days lmao.

I finally got to playing this after finishing pikmin 4 and some other stuff. Finished case 0 and have started the prolugue. Have really dug the game thus far, piecing together the mystery was a lot of fun. This is the first adventure game like this I've ever really played.
i reccomend also trace memory and hotel dusk if you hadn't tried those yet.

Was super hooked through the end of chapter 4 last night. The mystery was interesting and kept me guessing on a few fronts and all of the big character moments were a ton of fun. They did this in past Danganronpa games towards the end, but I always love when they twist core mechanics / gameplay for the extra big story moments. I saved right at the start of chapter 5 and I’m excited to see the story through.

I finished Rain Code! The final combo of chapters 4 and 5 really elevated the game for me which has been true of past Danganronpa team games. I really dug the genre shift in Chapter 5 especially and while I could guess the general gist quickly as elements were introduced there were definitely some shocking truths mixed in there and stuff that kept me guessing right to the end. The final showdowns were definitely exciting and I really dug the ending. If this was a one and done, I’m certainly cool with that, but I’d be very down for a sequel as they have a ton of flexibility to have new Master Detective Archives stories that can be really whatever they want.

I’m holding off until October at this point to give myself a break, but I’m looking forward to checking out the DLC stories then and seeing what they are about. I’m excited to have new stories with Halara and Vivia at least haha. For now though, I’m excited to finally read through the spoiler tags in this thread to see what everyone else thought.

I had bought the DLC for Rain Code and since I never heard anyone talk about it, I was kind of interested to see what it was like and since the end of October is packed with high priority games for me I figured I should get a sense now of what I was walking into before the last two drop (we are getting a bonus Yakou Furio episode alongside Vivia’s). I was originally planning to just check out the first one, but ended up doing the first three in one sitting mainly because it turns out these are super short.

The DLC is essentially a short story collection with each one being roughly 40 minutes in length (I beat all three in less than two hours). There is little gameplay here in general. Desuhiko’s for example lets you talk to six people in one section of town and then answer three A or B questions. I kind of enjoyed Desuhiko’s and Fubuki’s? Desuhiko’s is basically a long set up for a joke and Fubuki’s is kind of weird since you can solve what was going on long before she does if you are paying attention. The ending for Fubuki’s is neat which elevates it over Desuhiko’s. Halara’s is by far the best one as you get an actual mystery to solve with a locked room murder even if again actual gameplay is fairly limited.

If a short story collection focusing on the five side characters sounds interesting I’d probably recommend it if Vivia’s and Yakou’s episodes are similar quality. If you wanted more Rain Code gameplay / mystery solving this is an easy skip.

Almost forgot to mention it is all voice acted btw so that’s cool.

I had bought the DLC for Rain Code and since I never heard anyone talk about it, I was kind of interested to see what it was like and since the end of October is packed with high priority games for me I figured I should get a sense now of what I was walking into before the last two drop (we are getting a bonus Yakou Furio episode alongside Vivia’s). I was originally planning to just check out the first one, but ended up doing the first three in one sitting mainly because it turns out these are super short.

The DLC is essentially a short story collection with each one being roughly 40 minutes in length (I beat all three in less than two hours). There is little gameplay here in general. Desuhiko’s for example lets you talk to six people in one section of town and then answer three A or B questions. I kind of enjoyed Desuhiko’s and Fubuki’s? Desuhiko’s is basically a long set up for a joke and Fubuki’s is kind of weird since you can solve what was going on long before she does if you are paying attention. The ending for Fubuki’s is neat which elevates it over Desuhiko’s. Halara’s is by far the best one as you get an actual mystery to solve with a locked room murder even if again actual gameplay is fairly limited.

If a short story collection focusing on the five side characters sounds interesting I’d probably recommend it if Vivia’s and Yakou’s episodes are similar quality. If you wanted more Rain Code gameplay / mystery solving this is an easy skip.

Almost forgot to mention it is all voice acted btw so that’s cool.

Oh this is really helpful, I'd been wondering about the dlc! Thanks for the write up Ghost :) can I ask

are they all set kind of nebulously mid game or are any set after the game?

Oh this is really helpful, I'd been wondering about the dlc! Thanks for the write up Ghost :) can I ask

are they all set kind of nebulously mid game or are any set after the game?
Yeah! Thus far for your spoiler question:

Yeah it is nebulously placed so far. Yuma is nowhere to be seen so it’s not even clear if it takes place before he arrives or not. Yakou has thus far been in all of them and Fubuki’s also had both Desuhiko and Halara there. They mention they are all “friends” at one point so maybe mid game for that one?

That said, the bonus Yakou story that just got announced was said you should beat the game before playing it.

Finally began the game, I'm currently in first chapter and I'm really liking it.
It has imo the same pros and cons than danganronpa, so you know what to do if you liked it. The game is kinda rough in handheld but that's not an issue as far as I'm concerned.

Finally caught this on a good sale, kinda nuts that it's been 4 years since I played Danganronpa. Already through the first case and I'm gonna dive into the second once I'm done putting my thoughts down.

Overall, a poorly paced but still relatively solid start. Killing off half of the cast on the box art is incredibly on-brand for Kodaka, and I should've seen it coming, but I guess I the marketing threw me off a bit. We never even got to see Zilch or Melami use their Fortes, and Pucci and Aphex didn't have any use for theirs either. Credit to Kodaka for putting the time into making them look like important characters.
  • The actual murder itself, while a bit too reliant on special circumstances, was really cool. Definitely showed the potential for the Danganronpa-ass murders that aren't confined to a school building, the train swapping was a fun a-ha moment.
  • The pacing was abysmal, mostly due to Shinigami never taking the time to shut the hell up. The limited investigation was dreadful due to her. She improved during the Mystery Labyrinth, but I could definitely see her being a problem down the line for the game.
  • The fanservice is obnoxious and needs to go away. I know it won't, hopefully they'll take note for the sequel though. Which they also won't.
  • The labyrinth itself was fun enough, the parallels to Danganronpa are incredibly obvious. Hopefully the inevitable sequel will tighten up a lot of the minigames, they're a bit too clunky and long-winded.
  • Music and presentation are both excellent so far, they knocked it out of the park here. The Mystery Labyrinth in particular is very reminiscent of the Nirvana videos from Somnium Files: Nirvana Initiative.
  • Compared to the three Danganronpa opening trials, this one fits right in. It might be my least favorite of the bunch, but it's a strong group of cases overall, so that's not much of a knock on it.
It's nice to be back though. There's something about Kodaka's writing that really hooks me. It isn't particularly great or interesting, but it captures my attention really easily. Kinda like a trashy reality TV show, I guess. Can't wait to play more now that I'm in Kanai proper.

Made the very poor health decision to go into severe sleep debt in order to get through this game before Mario Wonder is out. Just started Chapter 5, gonna drop my thoughts for Chapters 1-4. Masked spoilers are for Danganronpa, which I’ll be making a couple comparisons to.

Ehhh.

Actually having some degree of freedom was nice after how railroaded Chapter 0 was, but this chapter was way more style over substance. The murders were creepy as hell, and solving each locked room was fun, if a bit easy. The final twist of the copycat murder was also really clever. But good lord is the narrative side thoroughly uninteresting. Halara is the only standout here, everyone else contributes damn near nothing. One of the laziest sets of suspects too, they don’t even have names! You don’t even meet the main suspect. The culprits dying at the end was dumb too, not a fan of that “mechanic”.

It’s pretty clear to me that Master Detective Archives is essentially Kodaka’s take on merging Danganronpa further with the Ace Attorney template, but a big reason why Ace Attorney is so good is due to how memorable the characters are. Chapter 1 completely fails in that regard, which is unfortunate. At least Halara is awesome.

With all of that being said, the nun was hysterical and I was ready to throw hands if she was the culprit.

My mind immediately went to Danganronpa V3-4, for better and for worse.

For as clever as the murder plot was, it’s pretty obvious that it was a joint effort, but the Mystery Labyrinth just drags on and on. I was hoping for some last second twist, but nope, it leads to the very obvious conclusion and just kinda ends. Reminded me heavily of the looping world in V3-4, where the cleverness of the murder plan isn’t strong enough to offset how long it takes to get there.

Thankfully, the characters here are significantly better, with Desuhiko being the only exception. I would’ve gladly traded him out for any of the MDs that died on the train. The main trio of suspects are all written very well though, a huge step up from Chapter 1, although I wish we could’ve talked to them as Yuma without a disguise at some point. Still, they were all easy to sympathize with, and it was a sad but strong motive for the crime.

…Which was immediately undercut by Shinigami killing them all. It really sticks out here as pointless; they didn’t deserve to die at all, but they get mercilessly cut down with very little fanfare. Felt entirely pointless, with Yuma being the only one to reflect on their deaths at all, and even he forgets about it within minutes. They’re riffing on Danganronpa too hard here; the executions work in the context of the killing game, because it’s kill or be killed. There’s no choice, no matter how sad it is to convict someone like Gonta. But in Rain Code, it serves no purpose at all, they don’t even get unique executions. It’s all just pointless, if you’re gonna lean into the Death God shtick then you gotta give more weight to the consequences.

It’s made worse by how Shinigami builds the Mystery Labyrinths up as a get-out-of-jail-free card in Chapter 0. Solving the Mystery Labyrinths hasn’t done anything to resolve the dangerous situations Yuma has been in, the Peacekeepers are just interrupted by someone else (or in this case, they just give up themselves for seemingly no reason). For a group that can apparently bend the truth to their will and kill essentially anyone, they sure are reluctant to put Yuma down. And if the Mystery Labyrinth is pointless, then what was the point in the culprits dying?

On a similar note, I’m starting to appreciate Shinigami more and Yuma less. Shinigami is very easy to dislike, but that’s kinda the point. She’s a Death God, you aren’t supposed to like her a lot of the time. Having someone inherently evil be a stalwart ally is a great evolution from Monokuma, but it’s wasted by Yuma’s refusal to grow a spine and tell Shinigami to shut the hell up. Given everything that’s happened, he has pretty much no reason to keep having so much lighthearted banter with her, but he’s a complete pushover, and the end result is some half-assed regrets that are never expounded upon in a meaningful way. Yuma and Shinigami slowly learning each other’s ideals and motivations, and growing closer together as time goes on despite their differences, would’ve been a great character arc for both, Instead, it’s fallen very flat so far.

Kurumi is fun though, I like her.

image0.jpg

What the hell happened here?

A pretty bad regression after a flawed but ultimately great Chapter 2, this one is a snoozer. Shachi has basically no buildup, so his death doesn’t hit hard in the slightest. Iruka was the only other member of any interest, and she fell off the face of the planet entirely. Bootleg Ryoma and the old guy I forgot the name of contribute nothing. And Icardi is the weakest culprit Kodaka has ever written, my god is he boring. A resistance group makes a lot of sense given Kanai Ward’s situation, but they really went the distance to make them as uninteresting as possible. Even Guillame, who was a fun antagonist, disappears with no fanfare. The whole chapter feels unfinished.

At least we get to do a bunch of errands accompanied by annoying QTEs, that’s exactly what this case was missing. Talk about a waste of potential in regards to Fubuki’s Forte, QTEs were already being used anyway so nothing has changed here. Yuma’s complete lack of urgency was also bordering on obnoxious, go disarm the goddamn bombs you loon. At least investigating with Fubuki was fun, she was a lot more interesting than I thought she’d be, and she made an otherwise boring Mystery Labyrinth a bit more interesting.

Speaking of which, I guess they deserve credit for making the culprit impossible to figure out from the get-go. But that’s more of a testament to how boring the crime actually was; once you find the storm drain, it’s immediately obvious that Icardi did it, and that’s basically it. No final twist, nothing. Even the motive was weak.

Makoto is a cool character though, excited to see what kind of role he’ll play.

The best chapter in a Kodaka game being the 5th one? Say it ain’t so.

This was easily the best chapter so far, although I think it still falls short of 2-5 and V3-5 from Danganronpa. I pinpointed Yakou as the culprit pretty much right away, but the writing was strong enough that everything was still very engaging throughout. Vivia was a huge standout, was excited to finally work with him and it didn’t disappoint. Yuma and Shinigami were also at their best here too; the lead up to get to this point was bumpy in terms of the writing quality, but they hit their stride here as characters. Desuhiko and Fubuki are also surprise hits as side characters.

However, this chapter really highlighted just how dirty Halara and especially Yakou were done. Ever since Yakou’s fantastic introduction at the end of Chapter 0, and Halara’s general badassery in Chapter 1, they’ve been completely irrelevant to the plot. It stinks to see such a good foil to Yuma be relegated to someone that can barely qualify as a side character, and it’s lot harder to buy into Yakou’s death being this impactful after how much of a whiny turd he’s been for the better part of the game. Damn near feels like two completely separate characters were written for him.

Ultimately, it looks back around to the new structure of Rain Code, and that I just don’t think Kodaka can really handle a larger cast like this. Most of the case-specific characters have been incredibly shallow, and the important characters are rotated out so rigidly that their character development is stunted seemingly out of nowhere. It’s way too formulaic for its own good, and the end result is a very uneven cast. Vivia also kinda exposes how routine the Mystery Labyrinths are; having a genuine opposing force against you goes a long way in making the Labyrinth more engaging.

This chapter also hammers home how silly the Peacekeepers are. The whole “Yomi was the mastermind” thing was a big disappointment for what was built up as a pretty big reveal, because who cares? The Peacekeepers were all bark, no bite up to this point, and Yomi being unceremoniously dragged away after a complete 180 by Martina is incredibly on brand for them considering how poorly they’ve been written. Hopefully the sequel has better antagonists, because wow do the Peacekeepers suck.

The actual crime itself, while predictable, was still really cool, especially when the realization that it was a suicide mission hits.

Also, Makoto is beyond suspicious at this point, Halara basically spelled out that he was up to some shady shit and no one pieced it together lol. Guessing he’s the mastermind behind the Homunculus stuff, and either he or Yuma are a clone of some sort for the other. No reason to hide his face like this otherwise, he already suggested that they’re connected somehow, and it’d explain why Yuma’s blood is red while everyone else’s is pink. I’m not forgetting that little discrepancy, Kodaka.

Made the very poor health decision to go into severe sleep debt in order to get through this game before Mario Wonder is out. Just started Chapter 5, gonna drop my thoughts for Chapters 1-4. Masked spoilers are for Danganronpa, which I’ll be making a couple comparisons to.

Ehhh.

Actually having some degree of freedom was nice after how railroaded Chapter 0 was, but this chapter was way more style over substance. The murders were creepy as hell, and solving each locked room was fun, if a bit easy. The final twist of the copycat murder was also really clever. But good lord is the narrative side thoroughly uninteresting. Halara is the only standout here, everyone else contributes damn near nothing. One of the laziest sets of suspects too, they don’t even have names! You don’t even meet the main suspect. The culprits dying at the end was dumb too, not a fan of that “mechanic”.

It’s pretty clear to me that Master Detective Archives is essentially Kodaka’s take on merging Danganronpa further with the Ace Attorney template, but a big reason why Ace Attorney is so good is due to how memorable the characters are. Chapter 1 completely fails in that regard, which is unfortunate. At least Halara is awesome.

With all of that being said, the nun was hysterical and I was ready to throw hands if she was the culprit.

My mind immediately went to Danganronpa V3-4, for better and for worse.

For as clever as the murder plot was, it’s pretty obvious that it was a joint effort, but the Mystery Labyrinth just drags on and on. I was hoping for some last second twist, but nope, it leads to the very obvious conclusion and just kinda ends. Reminded me heavily of the looping world in V3-4, where the cleverness of the murder plan isn’t strong enough to offset how long it takes to get there.

Thankfully, the characters here are significantly better, with Desuhiko being the only exception. I would’ve gladly traded him out for any of the MDs that died on the train. The main trio of suspects are all written very well though, a huge step up from Chapter 1, although I wish we could’ve talked to them as Yuma without a disguise at some point. Still, they were all easy to sympathize with, and it was a sad but strong motive for the crime.

…Which was immediately undercut by Shinigami killing them all. It really sticks out here as pointless; they didn’t deserve to die at all, but they get mercilessly cut down with very little fanfare. Felt entirely pointless, with Yuma being the only one to reflect on their deaths at all, and even he forgets about it within minutes. They’re riffing on Danganronpa too hard here; the executions work in the context of the killing game, because it’s kill or be killed. There’s no choice, no matter how sad it is to convict someone like Gonta. But in Rain Code, it serves no purpose at all, they don’t even get unique executions. It’s all just pointless, if you’re gonna lean into the Death God shtick then you gotta give more weight to the consequences.

It’s made worse by how Shinigami builds the Mystery Labyrinths up as a get-out-of-jail-free card in Chapter 0. Solving the Mystery Labyrinths hasn’t done anything to resolve the dangerous situations Yuma has been in, the Peacekeepers are just interrupted by someone else (or in this case, they just give up themselves for seemingly no reason). For a group that can apparently bend the truth to their will and kill essentially anyone, they sure are reluctant to put Yuma down. And if the Mystery Labyrinth is pointless, then what was the point in the culprits dying?

On a similar note, I’m starting to appreciate Shinigami more and Yuma less. Shinigami is very easy to dislike, but that’s kinda the point. She’s a Death God, you aren’t supposed to like her a lot of the time. Having someone inherently evil be a stalwart ally is a great evolution from Monokuma, but it’s wasted by Yuma’s refusal to grow a spine and tell Shinigami to shut the hell up. Given everything that’s happened, he has pretty much no reason to keep having so much lighthearted banter with her, but he’s a complete pushover, and the end result is some half-assed regrets that are never expounded upon in a meaningful way. Yuma and Shinigami slowly learning each other’s ideals and motivations, and growing closer together as time goes on despite their differences, would’ve been a great character arc for both, Instead, it’s fallen very flat so far.

Kurumi is fun though, I like her.

image0.jpg

What the hell happened here?

A pretty bad regression after a flawed but ultimately great Chapter 2, this one is a snoozer. Shachi has basically no buildup, so his death doesn’t hit hard in the slightest. Iruka was the only other member of any interest, and she fell off the face of the planet entirely. Bootleg Ryoma and the old guy I forgot the name of contribute nothing. And Icardi is the weakest culprit Kodaka has ever written, my god is he boring. A resistance group makes a lot of sense given Kanai Ward’s situation, but they really went the distance to make them as uninteresting as possible. Even Guillame, who was a fun antagonist, disappears with no fanfare. The whole chapter feels unfinished.

At least we get to do a bunch of errands accompanied by annoying QTEs, that’s exactly what this case was missing. Talk about a waste of potential in regards to Fubuki’s Forte, QTEs were already being used anyway so nothing has changed here. Yuma’s complete lack of urgency was also bordering on obnoxious, go disarm the goddamn bombs you loon. At least investigating with Fubuki was fun, she was a lot more interesting than I thought she’d be, and she made an otherwise boring Mystery Labyrinth a bit more interesting.

Speaking of which, I guess they deserve credit for making the culprit impossible to figure out from the get-go. But that’s more of a testament to how boring the crime actually was; once you find the storm drain, it’s immediately obvious that Icardi did it, and that’s basically it. No final twist, nothing. Even the motive was weak.

Makoto is a cool character though, excited to see what kind of role he’ll play.

The best chapter in a Kodaka game being the 5th one? Say it ain’t so.

This was easily the best chapter so far, although I think it still falls short of 2-5 and V3-5 from Danganronpa. I pinpointed Yakou as the culprit pretty much right away, but the writing was strong enough that everything was still very engaging throughout. Vivia was a huge standout, was excited to finally work with him and it didn’t disappoint. Yuma and Shinigami were also at their best here too; the lead up to get to this point was bumpy in terms of the writing quality, but they hit their stride here as characters. Desuhiko and Fubuki are also surprise hits as side characters.

However, this chapter really highlighted just how dirty Halara and especially Yakou were done. Ever since Yakou’s fantastic introduction at the end of Chapter 0, and Halara’s general badassery in Chapter 1, they’ve been completely irrelevant to the plot. It stinks to see such a good foil to Yuma be relegated to someone that can barely qualify as a side character, and it’s lot harder to buy into Yakou’s death being this impactful after how much of a whiny turd he’s been for the better part of the game. Damn near feels like two completely separate characters were written for him.

Ultimately, it looks back around to the new structure of Rain Code, and that I just don’t think Kodaka can really handle a larger cast like this. Most of the case-specific characters have been incredibly shallow, and the important characters are rotated out so rigidly that their character development is stunted seemingly out of nowhere. It’s way too formulaic for its own good, and the end result is a very uneven cast. Vivia also kinda exposes how routine the Mystery Labyrinths are; having a genuine opposing force against you goes a long way in making the Labyrinth more engaging.

This chapter also hammers home how silly the Peacekeepers are. The whole “Yomi was the mastermind” thing was a big disappointment for what was built up as a pretty big reveal, because who cares? The Peacekeepers were all bark, no bite up to this point, and Yomi being unceremoniously dragged away after a complete 180 by Martina is incredibly on brand for them considering how poorly they’ve been written. Hopefully the sequel has better antagonists, because wow do the Peacekeepers suck.

The actual crime itself, while predictable, was still really cool, especially when the realization that it was a suicide mission hits.

Also, Makoto is beyond suspicious at this point, Halara basically spelled out that he was up to some shady shit and no one pieced it together lol. Guessing he’s the mastermind behind the Homunculus stuff, and either he or Yuma are a clone of some sort for the other. No reason to hide his face like this otherwise, he already suggested that they’re connected somehow, and it’d explain why Yuma’s blood is red while everyone else’s is pink. I’m not forgetting that little discrepancy, Kodaka.
You pretty much echo my thoughts on the game overall. The game does a lot of interesting things and has great atmosphere, but it feels like it needs a sequel to really fill out a lot of its shortcomings and take what worked forward while ditching some of the bad.

IMO the biggest things a sequel needs:

• Keep the Detective Fortes, just do more with them and give the player more freedom to utilize them. These were pretty cool, especially when used well in the investigations (Chapter 1, 2, and 4)
  • Speaking of investigations: More of that, please. Maybe expanded and more freeform, less railroad-y. And no more Chapter 3s.
  • We need to get to know the characters better in general, both the good guys and the villains. We also need to have more emotional stakes in the actual 'trials'/labyrinths, and with the way Shinigami currently works, that's kind of hard to do. It's exactly like you said: We need more consequences for the culprits dying, more emotional resonance in the whole thing. One of the main reasons Danganronpa works so well is that you're often really attached to both the murder victim as well as the murderer, so their deaths both hurt. On top of them usually pulling some kind of really sympathetic or tragic reason out at the last minute to explain why the killer is the way they are (which isn't always successful, but it's still there) Contrast that to this game, where both the murder victim AND the murderer often are complete strangers and you end up not caring much about them at all.
  • The Mystery Labyrinth needs to have a lot more variety chapter by chapter, pretty much from top to bottom. Different aesthetics, different fights and character designs, different gimmicks, different endings/executions, and so on. The way they're done in this game starts to feel same-y and repetitive almost immediately.

Pretty emblematic finish for the game, for better and for worse. Some interesting storytelling and twists that weren't alluded to well at all beforehand, strong writing when the game is focused on the right stuff, terrible pacing, fantastic music and presentation, and some bizarre character decisions that don't really make a whole lot of sense. Quite a bit to unpack here.

The Homunculi twist is a mixed bag for me. The positive is its cleverness: I was dead on about the blood being off, but it's still a cool twist that I can't blame anyone for missing. The reveal behind the purpose of the rain, the nauseating secret behind the meat buns, the isolation of Kanai Ward, it all comes together incredibly well in a way that Danganronpa finales never did, so credit for that. However, the pacing of the reveals was dreadful, mostly because they were immediately obvious once you got the requisite evidence. They're too heavy handed with how information is doled out, and the end result was Kanai Ward's mystery being pretty much solved before I even stepped foot outside of the factory. This was a problem throughout the entire game, but it's even more apparent here considering everything was building up to this.

There's also the fact that the Blank Week Mystery makes basically no sense when you really think about it. Granted, that's kinda the norm for Kodaka, but the finer details completely undermine it ever potentially happening. What happens when the sun goes down? What if there's a cloudy day? And how were all of the dead corpses, bones, and blood cleaned away without any of the Homonculi noticing? And how was Kanai Ward repaired so quickly into a functioning state again? Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but even a couple seconds of thought kinda undermine the whole thing.

I did like the Number One twist quite a bit though, that one felt much more appropriately built up to. Should've seen it coming, all things considered, but it was still an effective way to cap things off.

Speaking of said buildup, they really did a terrible job of it. Most of the game is spent running around doing completely unrelated tasks and having to deal with the Peacekeepers stupidity, only for everything to be unceremoniously dumped on you at the end of Chapter 4. And then just like that, you're magically whisked away to exactly where you need to be, and the mysteries are spelled out as blatantly as they possibly could. It's a more satisfying conclusion compared to the Danganronpa endings, but Danganronpa also did a much better job at building up towards their respective finales, and as a result I found it to be a weaker conclusion overall compared to DR2 and DRV3, even though the ultimate mystery itself was stronger than both.

The handling of characters was also incredibly bizarre, mostly for the Master Detectives. Why on earth were they not part of the finale? It's not like they knew anything about the Homunculi either. They already felt pretty empty as characters (with exception to Vivia, although that was more a product of his character development being saved for so late in the game) and their absence here only serves to make them feel like even smaller footnotes. Halara in particular, who's smack dab in the middle of the boxart and was built up to be a compelling partner for Yuma, somehow ended up being the least relevant Master Detective of the four survivors, which is inexcusably bad on Kodaka's part. I guess Kurumi gets a bit more credit for at least being present, but she contributed nothing to the final chapter either, so I dunno what to say about her either.

On the plus side, the trio of Yuma/Shinigami/Makoto all shined here, and that was nice to see. I still think Yuma could've used some work, he strikes me as too much of a Makoto knockoff still, and of course Shinigami still has her moments where you wanna bash your head into a wall. But overall, they ended up being compelling protagonists, so credit to that. Makoto also gets brownie points for being such a strong antagonist, he easily clears any of the main Danganronpa antagonists (not counting the "rival" characters, in which case DR2 and DRV3's are both better). Compelling and sympathetic motivations go a long way, and its refreshing after how unambigiously evil the Danganronpa masterminds were.

Bonus note, but the final battle with Makoto was badass as all hell. Terrible action choreography has been a staple from Spike Chunsoft, but they knocked it out of the park with this one.

I also gotta mention them again, but my god were the Peacekeepers pathetic. I was anticipating some sort of conclusion for them, but nope. They've surpassed Saturday Morning Cartoon levels of ineptitude, and the handling of some of them is downright comical. Swank, Seth, Guillame, and Dominic could've been removed from the game entirely and not a single thing would've changed, and even with all that extra fat cut off the main Peacekeeper duo of Martina and Yomi would've still been terrible. Talk about a huge whiff, they stand out as a pretty blatant low point across all of Kodaka's games.

So, overall, my thoughts on Rain Code are pretty mixed. I did still like the game, but it's hard to ignore how many flaws there are scattered across the board. I think it shows just how much of a crutch the unique Danganronpa setup was, because without it, a lot of Kodaka's writing tendencies are exposed in a rather unflattering light. Still, given that a sequel seems inevitable based on the potential of the ending + the positive sales, these are some of the changes I think they should make:
  • There needs to be stronger buildup for the mysteries, both in terms of individual cases and the overarching ones. Rain Code is too willing to throw you into a new mystery on a whim with little to no introduction, and as a result its hard to get invested in any of them. The Homunculi/Kidnapping/Blank Week was a cool plot point, but it's hard to really care when 95% of the information is dumped onto you at the end of the game and then immediately resolved right after. Same goes for the individual cases themselves, too often you meet the suspects once and then you're thrust into the murder right after, with no time to get to know them or talk to them. Ace Attorney has done this quite well, so it's certainly not impossible.
  • Speaking of Ace Attorney, I need to amend my comparison from earlier. There's obviously still quite a bit of Ace Attorney DNA here, but Danganronpa had it too. The more accurate comparison is the less-heralded spinoff, Ace Attorney Investigations, and I think that's where Master Detective Archives needs to look for inspiration. Investigations 2 in particular did an excellent job of balancing its greater mysteries with each individual chapter, and it did so without wrecking the pacing. But most importantly, the Investigations franchise made the very smart decision to abandon the regimented structure of Ace Attorney proper, splitting the investigation and trial segments up into smaller chunks and fitting the gameplay to whatever the situation needed. That would go a long way in solving the Mystery Labyrinths: chop them up into smaller, bite sized chunks, and intersperse them throughout each investigation.
    • For one, mysteries can be doled out in a more natural pace, and the investigation itself can be more informed based on the information you've already acquired. Maybe you investigate the crime scene, solve some sort of mystery based on the info you gathered, and use that info to decide where you need to investigate or who you need to talk to next. That way, everyone can stay on the same page; you aren't jumping 10 steps ahead of the protagonist, who's incapable of making basic deductions because the game won't let them solve anything yet. It also promotes more interactivity with the important characters of each case, as you'd be able to exit the Mystery Labyrinth and confront characters in the real world instead of leaving them behind entirely once you enter the labyrinth.
    • If they're willing to tweak how the Labyrinths work, splitting things up could also lead to more characters entering the Labyrinth, depending on the situation, and create some interesting setpieces and/or puzzles depending on who you bring in. You could also use Fortes to potentially interact with the Labyrinth from the real world, which would be cool.
    • Mystery Shadows would be much more appropriate, because they could directly coincide whenever the Peacekeeper/rival show up. Investigate a crime scene, once you're done a Peacekeeper shows up, and you enter the Mystery Labyrinth to solve the current issue at hand and get them to back off. Much better way of pacing everything.
  • Don't abandon your main cast on a whim. Let the Master Detectives stay relevant to the story, even if they aren't the focus of the chapter. It was so blatantly obvious who the Detective of the Day was in each chapter, and that needs to be fixed to at least some degree.
I'm gonna give Rain Code a B- overall, because despite there being a littany of issues, I did still enjoy my time with the game. It was a much messier transition for Kodaka than it was for Uchikoshi when he started Somnium Files, but there's still a lot of room for potential, and I am cautiously optimistic for the next entry. If Danganronpa 2 was anything to go by, we could be in store for quite a substantial improvement.

Last edited:
After months, I am back to play this game (its my before bed game) but I am taking it slowly. Just finished chapter 1, fantastic, it reminded me why I love these types of games. Will see how the rest of the game holds up.

I finished both Vivia’s and Yakou’s DLC episodes. These and Halara’s were definitely the best of the bunch which makes sense as those three were the best characters. There’s only walking gameplay in Vivia and Yakou’s stories, so again the focus is more on offering a short story (Yakou’s is extra short too at 20 mins). Whereas Halara’s was a fun mystery to solve, these two offered bigger insights into these characters which I appreciated. You’ll absolutely want to have finished Rain Code before you play Yakou’s and I’d say the same for Vivia’s as well.

I’m happy we meet Yakou’s wife here and while it completely undermines his big sacrifice with a possibility of him recovering, I’m glad we got a happy ending here. If they ever make a Rain Code 2 I’d be happy to see Yakou return.

Overall while they didn’t give me more Rain Code per se (Halara’s and Yakou’s somewhat aside), I’m ultimately glad I played through them even if it was more of a neat thing, than a cool or substantial thing.

I finished both Vivia’s and Yakou’s DLC episodes. These and Halara’s were definitely the best of the bunch which makes sense as those three were the best characters. There’s only walking gameplay in Vivia and Yakou’s stories, so again the focus is more on offering a short story (Yakou’s is extra short too at 20 mins). Whereas Halara’s was a fun mystery to solve, these two offered bigger insights into these characters which I appreciated. You’ll absolutely want to have finished Rain Code before you play Yakou’s and I’d say the same for Vivia’s as well.

I’m happy we meet Yakou’s wife here and it completely undermines his big sacrifice with a possibility of him recovering, but I’m glad we got a happy ending here. If they ever make a Rain Code 2 I’d be happy to see Yakou return.

Overall while they didn’t give me more Rain Code per se (Halara’s and Yakou’s somewhat aside), I’m ultimately glad I played through them even if it was more of a neat thing, than a cool or substantial thing.
I still need to get to this at some point, but I hope they bring back some of these characters in a sequel game. Halara and Vivia especially - they were the most interesting and also had the best abilities that would be really fun to use in another game. Well, I loved Desuhiko's ability too and it has a ton of potential for solving mysteries, but he himself... well... maybe they can give his ability to someone else somehow :p

I still need to get to this at some point, but I hope they bring back some of these characters in a sequel game. Halara and Vivia especially - they were the most interesting and also had the best abilities that would be really fun to use in another game. Well, I loved Desuhiko's ability too and it has a ton of potential for solving mysteries, but he himself... well... maybe they can give his ability to someone else somehow :p
Yeah a sequel to Rain Code has a ton of potential with Master Detectives new and old solving new mysteries together. I wonder what they consider the core of the franchise like does it have to have Shinigami for example or can it be more open to be something new? I really hope it is the latter even if I’d like to see or hear about prior characters as well.

Just finished chapter 3, really enjoying the game. Going to try and see if I can play through chapter 4 tomorrow.

Was at Weplay Game Expo in Shanghai today. They invited Kodaka for an on-stage event. He said that his next game would be co-written with Kotaro Uchikoshi and confirmed a sequel to Raincode.
HMESd.jpeg

Was at Weplay Game Expo in Shanghai today. They invited Kodaka for an on-stage event. He said that his next game would be co-written with Kotaro Uchikoshi and confirmed a sequel to Raincode.
HMESd.jpeg
Oooh, this has the potential to be something really special!

One question: Do you mean his next game is both co-written and a sequel to Raincode, or are these 2 separate projects?

Amazon, Walmart, and Best Buy finally have it on sale for $40. Picking up a copy from Best Buy in a few and super excited to finally play this!

I am a newb to these sort of games. Can anyone recommend me some Danganronpa games that are easily accessible today and I can play after this? Thanks!

After months, I am back to play this game (its my before bed game) but I am taking it slowly. Just finished chapter 1, fantastic, it reminded me why I love these types of games. Will see how the rest of the game holds up.
Update #2

Finished Chapter 2 and did the Mystery Labyrinth of Chapter 3 (I guess I am almost done with that chapter). Chapter 2 was great, a little different from 1 so that was good. The mystery had some flare and the mystery labyrinth required more steps than the first one. The revelations was interesting, cause its something I discarded but glad to be proven wrong lol.

Chapter 3 is an odd one, so technically I have not finished it yet so my overall thought my chance (doubt it), but its not that I am disappointed in the case but I was expecting more coming from the previous ones. It felt kinda flat, maybe it serves to speed up the pacing of the game (Chapter 2 was pretty long), but idk. Still loving this game, I guess Ill update when I go through Chapter 4

I 100% the game and played the dlc with a total time of 45 hours according to my switch profile. I wont go into spoilers, might tag something that feels spoilery. I am not a Danganronpa fan, so my perspective might be different from those who are, given its a Kodaka game.

Overall I had a blast playing the game, it was a somewhat slow burn, but it was worth it. If I would give it a score 9/10 and a strong recommend. There are some caveats to recommending the game of course but if you like mystery/detective games go for it. Ill give a small snippet on what the games does well, what I am mixed on and what it could improve in an eventual sequel.

What is does well:
-Characters is a area of strength for this game. You will get 1 on 1 time with each of the Master Detectives, with some party interactions here and there. The supporting cast in each case are also interesting, some a bit stereotypical (big cast so I get it), but another are fleshed out even in a limited screen time. Not all characters are created equal, but they will grow on you. The DLC specially does a good job of further developing the main cast. I played it dub and some of the performances are fantastic, Yuma (VA: Lucien Dodge) had one of the best performances I've played this year, seeing him grow as a detective was really fun. Its the second game this year, that made me tear up.

-Atmosphere: The game takes place in the ever-raining city of Kanai Ward. Its not a fully cyberpunk-type city but the neon streets lights, hovering umbrellas, and interesting tech with some older style building is great. There are multiple areas to visit from a small church area to the dock to a museum district. In addition you got the Mystery Labyrinths, outside of their "hallways", the setting on each does a good job of making them look unique.

What I am mixed on:

-Pacing: I really liked the story but the pacing is why I cant say it does it well. To summarize, each chapter has an intro where they discuss the overall story, then a job comes in, you meet the cast, you partnered up, do the investigation, then into the Mystery Labyrinth. I don't mind the structure, but some parts are either too long or really boring, slowing down the pace of the story.

-Skill System: There is a sorta rpg system in this game, you gain level by doing sidequest, finding collectables and finishing chapters (which give you a grade). One you level up, you gain skill points and more skill cap (skills have a value when you equip them). All skills are for the Mystery Labyrinth, more health, fewer clues, etc. While I like it, towards the end of the game I forgot I had skills points, cause I really did not need them. It felt more like an afterthought.

Areas of Improvement:

-Exploration: There are 2 areas of exploration, Kanai Ward and the Mystery Labyrinth. Kanai Ward is a lovely place to explore, but Yuma's walking speed and the load times between areas (they recently patched them) make it kind of boring. Outside of side-quest and a building here and there, all you can do is talk to npcs. As for the Mystery Labyrinth, the hallway sections are mostly used as exposition sections, explaining what happened, I guess they wanted the player to do something while talking. Its difficult to say what they should do next, since we don't know the setting, etc., but I do hope they changing things up a bit.

-Side Content: Pretty straightforward, some more types of side-quest. In this game the side quests give you a set of detective points or exp, and they do give some insight to the lives of some of the residents. But most are either "go here, then comeback" type of quests. There is a quest line were you "help" people by giving advice, based on their situation, but the choices don't really matter. World building is fun, but play around more with them in the future.

That was my experience my Master Detective Archives; Rain Code. Highly recommend, give it a try if you are in a mood for some mystery. Its my second favorite story of the year (Paranormasight has a slight edge cause of the pacing). Cannot wait for what's next from Too Kyo games, I am guessing it Kodaka and Uchikoshi collab game.

My favorite Chapters:

4>5>2>1>Prologue>3

At a later date, I would love to talk about each chapter because they are all so interesting lol.

Back
Top Bottom