• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
Having a morning off work so I can dip into these and play as Birdo. I do feel like Diddy, Funky, and Pauline are extremely likely additions, and I'd love to see Kamek in the game. Petey would be nice to have back, too.

Be funny when wave 5 launches and there's another column of question marks added, though.

Also - does Picard write the Kart patch notes?

Damn that sucks, I like to watch the MK8D Time Trials youtube channel off and on.

Why would Nintendo do this?
Because they wanted to break up the meta, which hasn't been super healthy. Time trials is the only mode that's even vaguely negatively impacted by this, and even that is a matter of perspective.

They did it to combat the meta by buffing everything but the meta.

Because there was an unacceptable gap in performance for specific sets, so they increased everything else to close the gap.

Quite bluntly, why would I care what the few thousand people actively playing at the WR level have to say about being upset about this? Improving the game for the rest of the fifty million players that have bought the game outstrips whatever imagined rights they thought they had to keep their precious previous WR times by so many orders of magnitude.

That's true. I'm not mad at it and never do the time trials in MK games, just seemed somewhat out of nowhere.

I'm glad Luigi got "buffed" anyway so it's all good 👍🏾

Because there was an unacceptable gap in performance for specific sets, so they increased everything else to close the gap.

Quite bluntly, why would I care what the few thousand people actively playing at the WR level have to say about being upset about this? Improving the game for the rest of the fifty million players that have bought the game outstrips whatever imagined rights they thought they had to keep their precious previous WR times by so many orders of magnitude.
I agree. I never play global anymore because it's always dominated by Waluigi Wigglers. If this changes that - I'm all for it.

After all these extra changed it's safes to say Waluigi's reign is over as the objectively better performancing character, right?

Unfortunately most people online haven't realized that yet lol

I will just keep playing with good old Wario.

Just did the Fruit Cup and yes, Yoshi's Island is such a highlight. Amsterdam was fine, though I'm not a fan of the simplistic building textures the colour mix is fun and the lap by lap variety is nice. Riverside Park I actually really like; I'm a sucker for old school style courses that are simply about racing lines, and I'm also a sucker for the way the old 2D courses are transferred into more holistic feeling 3D environments (if anything, I'd like to see Kart lean more into this with more unique flora and fauna for places like Riverside Park). DK Mountain is pretty fun too, though my preference was always for the DK course in Double Dash - crashing down the mountain there was always wildly entertaining for me and that final bridge stretch was a murder zone.

But yeah, Yoshi's Island man! What a course. More than anything in the Booster Course Pass, Yoshi's Island feels like the thing I want to see lots more of in Mario Kart's next entry. Give me more tracks that celebrate the mass of games that comprise Super Mario's massive universe. Give me Beanbean Kingdom, Rogueport (hell, give me a whole Paper Cup!); find a way to adapt Mario Golf and Tennis into courses; build a cup out of Super Mario Land 2. Let's get an entire Odyssey Cup and a Galaxy Cup. Celebrate the games themselves very directly, please, because Yoshi's Island is a serious high point for me.

Boomerang Cup done now as well. Bangkok and Singapore much superior to Amsterdam, and Singapore for me is the best city track. Vibrant, fun, and involved with some nice mechanics (enjoyed the neon speed trips).

Waluigi Stadium I think works nicely, though I found the music remix to be too... jolly for a mud bath Waluigi course? Felt a little jarring. Would've appreciated more mud splashes, too, given how shiny and wet the course looks. I like the addition of the higher, anti-grav sections above the track. I'd say the number of alternate routes is a strength in the city tracks and the stadium in this Cup.

Mario Circuit DS is another one I have a soft spot for. I unapologetically take a lot of enjoyment out playing in a vanilla race track in the Mario Universe. One thing I really liked here is the lighting: there's a lot of depth and subtlety to it and it makes the course more interesting visually. A huge improvement over the flat lighting in wave 1, which makes Toad Circuit especially kinda washed out.

However, there is now a deeply troubling implication that arises from Mario Circuit DS, Peach Gardens, and Royal Raceway being present in the same game. Indeed, I am now deeply concerned about the governance of the Mushroom Kingdom. Peach appears to have forced her subjects to build two, enormous and identical castles, and this is in addition to her enormous country estate (Peach Gardens). There's also the alarming possibility that there is in fact only one Peach's Castle, and that Peach forces her subjects to rebuild whichever course she wants to race on around the castle, which is surely a resource and labour intensive process. I do hope the international community condemn the excesses of the Mushroom Kingdom's monarch, because there are some troubling signs.

Boomerang Cup done now as well. Bangkok and Singapore much superior to Amsterdam, and Singapore for me is the best city track. Vibrant, fun, and involved with some nice mechanics (enjoyed the neon speed trips).

Waluigi Stadium I think works nicely, though I found the music remix to be too... jolly for a mud bath Waluigi course? Felt a little jarring. Would've appreciated more mud splashes, too, given how shiny and wet the course looks. I like the addition of the higher, anti-grav sections above the track. I'd say the number of alternate routes is a strength in the city tracks and the stadium in this Cup.

Mario Circuit DS is another one I have a soft spot for. I unapologetically take a lot of enjoyment out playing in a vanilla race track in the Mario Universe. One thing I really liked here is the lighting: there's a lot of depth and subtlety to it and it makes the course more interesting visually. A huge improvement over the flat lighting in wave 1, which makes Toad Circuit especially kinda washed out.

However, there is now a deeply troubling implication that arises from Mario Circuit DS, Peach Gardens, and Royal Raceway being present in the same game. Indeed, I am now deeply concerned about the governance of the Mushroom Kingdom. Peach appears to have forced her subjects to build two, enormous and identical castles, and this is in addition to her enormous country estate (Peach Gardens). There's also the alarming possibility that there is in fact only one Peach's Castle, and that Peach forces her subjects to rebuild whichever course she wants to race on around the castle, which is surely a resource and labour intensive process. I do hope the international community condemn the excesses of the Mushroom Kingdom's monarch, because there are some troubling signs.
Those aren’t even the only Peach’s Castles in the game. Mario Circuit 8 features a separate Peach’s Castle!

After all these extra changed it's safes to say Waluigi's reign is over as the objectively better performancing character, right?

Unfortunately most people online haven't realized that yet lol

I will just keep playing with good old Wario.
Waluigi Wiggler was never the objective best. I don't think you'll see much of a difference online

Quoted by: Leo
How much of birdo is reused from tour? it really doesn’t feel like a lot considering how many unique animations she has? I think this increases the chances for non tour characters significantly.

Absolutely love the new Yoshi's Island track, a clear standout. Yet to hit the could tho!

Birdo is very cool but I will continue to play as my lil' gay boy Green Shy Guy until they put Diddy Kong in it and make this 6/10 game a 10/10.

This is deeply alarming.

The Mushroom Kingdom's taxpayer's are paying for all of these castles and circuits for these castles. What a waste!
New lore theory, what if the multiple castles serve double duty of obscuring where Peach is at a given time when Bowser or other forces inevitably invade in addition to Peach liking castles and race tracks established near castles and/or vice versa?

Mostly unrelated; does anyone know what the character select looks like if you don't own the Booster Course Pass? Curious to see it.
Loaded a profile without switch online expansion pack to see for myself, and the icons are similar to the unpurchased character icons from Wii U Mario Kart 8 if that makes sense

Waluigi Wiggler was never the objective best. I don't think you'll see much of a difference online

It kind of was. It was the combo with the biggest stat total plus a couple advantages like good weight and especially a lean build, which made its hitbox smaller than others.

Obviously skill plays a much bigger role, but there were tons of players with high ranks running it (especially from Japan, and those guys know what they're doing).

Man, Waluigi Stadium is one hard course to master. I can't even beat the ghost on 150cc, it's too difficult to stay inside the curves. I've figured the half pipe section at least, you don't zig zag, you just keep on the same side and do a straight line over the booster lol the antigravity platform is also much slower, it's always best to go the bottom route.

I had good results online with DK Summit and Mario Circuit, the only two courses I managed to play. Having so many courses now means it's a really slim chance of the ones you want appearing. I wish they would add a selecting function, like they have for private multiplayer.

How much of birdo is reused from tour? it really doesn’t feel like a lot considering how many unique animations she has? I think this increases the chances for non tour characters significantly.

They specifically said there will be other returning characters from past Mario Kart games, so I don't think we will get a new one, especially with how many they have to pick from Tour already.

They specifically said there will be other returning characters from past Mario Kart games, so I don't think we will get a new one, especially with how many they have to pick from Tour already.
I meant characters like Wiggler and paratroopa.

I think it’ll be Tour / past characters, but I wouldn’t dismiss a new character who hits both games at the same time.

More time trialers upset.

That compromise that person suggests would be so weird in practice and would be frustrating to everyone but them as time trials can function as a practice mode. Nintendo would never do it, but having a rule set swap with separate leaderboards is the closest thing that actually is practical.

I generally think them balancing and rebalancing the game for the vast majority is the right decision despite whatever hurt feelings arise along the way. Sucks when it is something you have to pour so much of yourself into though to achieve and maintain. Hopefully they eventually take solace they’ll forever have been the world record holders under the prior ruleset.

Singapore Speedway music has done that horrible thing to me where those distorted voice samples that play at the start sound really similar to something else I've heard but I can't remember what and it's really annoying me.

It kind of was. It was the combo with the biggest stat total plus a couple advantages like good weight and especially a lean build, which made its hitbox smaller than others.
The meta build for best stats and small hitbox is Roy on Mr. Scooty.

For the record, I have no problem with people online wanting to run whatever build they see everyone else using. It's incredibly fucked up that Mario Kart system even has character builds like a goddamn RPG, and I can't fault anyone for copying others' machines to get an even matchup instead of trying to be a depraved tryhard who actually tries to optimize this stupid fucking bullshit in a game for children

Time trialers upset that other characters/builds were made better rather than anything already good being made worse while the rest of us break out the world's smallest violin over the fact that they might have to test their way around again to see if there's a better build now.

I mean look I kinda get it; Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is six years old at this point. Barring some of the changes in Deluxe, it'll have been nine years. People are conditioned to playing the game a certain way after this long of a time. But there was never a good reason for why this massively popular game shouldn't be more balanced in favor of letting people not feel punished for picking their favorites. Meta builds has been a complaint about this game for what has to be half a decade at this point, and I'm sure they're still effective.

Frankly people got lucky about Nintendo's attitude to Deluxe being "the original game was more or less perfect so we'll just port it and add stuff onto it". Once Mario Kart 10 rolls around, people better buckle up at the possibility that balancing will be occurring much more often depending on what type of game it is.

I haven't checked time trials yet, did they like delete older records or are they still viewable

From what I gleaned of the balance changes they didn't make anything slower or worse, so it's not like recordholders can't take their old records back if they wanted to. I get that it completely fucking sucks to have 144 records go from really great to comparatively mid, but that's the risk you take when you play the most current game, and if the idea that this could happen again is terrifying, there's nothing stopping anyone from going back to Wii or 64 or whatever and waiting on Mario Kart 9's release to clean up the 8DX records

The balance changes themselves are pretty dumb because the developers don't seem to have any real understanding why the game's balance is fucked the way it is and just went with "we should buff all the shit that isn't meta," but after nine years I've accepted the flaws of 8/DX and am just going to wait for 9 to wipe the slate as far as game mechanics go

A new Mario Kart Tour QoL feature has made it's way into this patch! Bob-ombs can be used as defence against shells without it blowing you up too, even if you are not going too fast. Before this patch, they would also work as effective defence if you are going fast enough but the going fast enough requirement is no longer needed.

the time triallers are just having a toys out the pram moment (they're mostly kids/teenagers so go figure). those people play the game to such a ridicolous level & amount that they've got no choice but to set all new records, playing more than ever once the dust settles.

Loaded a profile without switch online expansion pack to see for myself, and the icons are similar to the unpurchased character icons from Wii U Mario Kart 8 if that makes sense

For those who want to see what I mean about the unpurchased icon

A new Mario Kart Tour QoL feature has made it's way into this patch! Bob-ombs can be used as defence against shells without it blowing you up too, even if you are not going too fast. Before this patch, they would also work as effective defence if you are going fast enough but the going fast enough requirement is no longer needed.

I'm not sure exactly how I should interpret this, but I can for sure say that you can still be blown up by a Bob-omb held behind you, because that happened to me just now and has always happened from time to time. I don't know exactly when it happens vs. not, but it's mostly been if being held while drifting through a corner, not so much when being hit driving straight.

I would expect a change like this to be part of the patch notes given that they are fairly detailed, but I don't see it.

I'm not sure exactly how I should interpret this, but I can for sure say that you can still be blown up by a Bob-omb held behind you, because that happened to me just now and has always happened from time to time. I don't know exactly when it happens vs. not, but it's mostly been if being held while drifting through a corner, not so much when being hit driving straight.

I would expect a change like this to be part of the patch notes given that they are fairly detailed, but I don't see it.
Maybe the video was just a fluke?

I really like Birdo. They didn't have to give her multiple color choices but I'm glad they did. Says to me that they are really putting a lot of thought and effort into the Booster Course Pass. I'm pleasantly surprised that they gave us new characters at all because I wasn't expecting that with the announcement of the pass last year. Do you think they always intended this, or was it a decision made recently?

I mean I’m not necessarily rooting for her over Funky, I’m just trying to think of what Nintendo would prioritize. I’d prefer Dixie over him too.

Yes the BCP is about preserving Tour courses, but it’s also about how convenient it is to bring content from tour.

I’m more than happy to be wrong - but as of now we only have one selection to go off of. And Birdo + the statement of “bringing back characters from past Mario kart games” makes me think that their mindset with the character selection is “hey, we brought back pretty much every past Mario Kart veteran for Tour, why don’t port to 8 the ones who missed the boat when it first came out?” moreso than “let’s bring Tour’s newcomers in!”

As cool as it is that we’re actually getting characters, it wasn’t the focus of the BCP and it feels like this might just be a case of them seeing the opportunity “correct” who was left out of 8 originally. And Funky IS a fan favorite whether you want to admit it or not.

Like I said I could see one Tour newcomer in - but I think it’d be Pauline who was there from the start. I really do think the focus is on the older vets. Based on Birdo’s selection instead of them going for a more exciting Tour newcomer.
Okay, sorry, I guess it just feels like everyone is wanting Funky over Dixie based on the responses to my posts. But honestly I also disagree that Nintendo would be more likely to choose Funky over Dixie for DLC, but we’ll see I guess. In reality, I kinda expect for us to get neither—Diddy and Pauline will be enough new Donkey Kong characters, probably.

But Tour is a past Mario Kart game, too… About half of the DLC courses are Tour originals, and while Nintendo opts to not brand the non-city Tour courses as originating from Tour in game, they still label them as such on some trailers or websites, and the city courses are all advertised as being from Tour, so with that in mind I don’t think there’s any good reason to believe Nintendo will shy away from using characters that debuted in Tour for this DLC either. I could see half of them being from Tour, honestly. Dixie might not end up being one of them, but there are still plenty of others to choose from regardless! I really don’t think it’ll be just Pauline, at least.

More time trialers upset.

I'm sorry but I can't feel much sympathy for them :/. People have been begging Nintendo for years to add new content to the game and when they finally do it it stirs up so much drama? lol

I mean I understand the complains but this is no different to a fighting game balacing its characters? Or any game, really.

I'm by no means a super pro Mario Kart player (I mess around 20k points in online races) but it's been quite a while since reaching a certain point means the game is absolutely stale. I'm incredibly bored of Waluigi, sorry.

So if Nintendo changed some stats, time to relearn the game a bit. That's all. It was needed too.

After playing with Birdo, I really really really want them to add King Bob omb.
Too bad they're only going to add 5 characters and I see King Bob omb as the sixth in a hypothetical list of preferences for Nintendo hahaha (I think the five characters will be Diddy, Petey, Funky, Kamek and Pauline)

I understand that "competitive games" around here are a joke but this is a shitty move.
I've yet to see a reason why this is a negative for the 99.9% of other Mario Kart 8 Deluxe players when it in fact just seems to be buffs for other variants of cars.

Like the joy of most world record runners I've seen is specifically the chase and coming up with new ways to get better times and such. This just upends the whole thing and thus gives them even more options to approach new records from. Just seems people are annoyed that their world records might be beaten by the change...

Which is like the whole idea with WRs to begin with. It's no different than likes tons of other games I've seen get different balance patches for exploits and broken/overpowered stuff and change the way people do things.

Nice wave over all.

Bangkok feels rushed. No Ink Piranha Plants and I thought it had been datamined to be in wave 5. Sad, because I think it could have been better.

What city would have initially been in wave 5?

Back
Top Bottom