• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
Based on the very limited footage for Singapore Speedway, it looks like they replaced the ramp over the football field with some air gusts for SS3. There's also a glider in there somewhere, wonder where that ends up.

Regardless, everyone flips around at some point, so I'm guessing that Mondo's initial speculation on the route was correct. Guess we'll find out once we get more screenshots though.

This means there’s only one more week until we find out what the deal’s gonna be with the character select screen!!

They kind of have to rearrange and combine some character icons in order to fit more characters, unless they’re just going to give us a new column or row (in which case they’d have to shrink the icons in some way because otherwise another column or row wouldn’t fit, and I’m not sure they’ll do that since they didn’t do that any time before when they added new characters to MK8). As many have already speculated, Metal/Gold Mario and Tanooki Mario could be combined with Mario as well as Pink Gold Peach and Cat Peach with Peach to easily free up four new spaces. This is the absolute minimum number of new characters I expect, but they could potentially free up even more spaces—up to 6 or 7—if they combine other characters as well, namely combining the male and female Villagers again as they originally were on Wii U (despite having different stats, so the precedent for doing this kind of thing is already there), combining Inkling Girl and Inkling Boy (with their respective palette swaps as well), or even combining Dry Bowser with Bowser (as he is in Mario Kart Arcade GP DX). Alternatively, adding a new column or row by shrinking all the icons would also free up 6 (with a new row) or 7 (with a new column) spaces, and if that does happen then I wouldn’t expect any characters icons to be combined, though I feel like that may be the less likely outcome.

Anyway, I made a few different mockups awhile ago of what the character select screen could look like with a variety of potential new characters; two versions with 4 new characters and two versions with 7 new characters:
FpDF8zzaEAESZ_9

FpDF8zzakAA9YSP

FpDF8z1aYAE--Tx

FpDF8zzagAAiigC

Aside from Birdo, I think Diddy Kong, Petey Piranha, and Pauline are most likely, and beyond those four I would also personally hope to see Kamek and Hammer Bro since they were originally planned to be in past Mario Kart games but got cut, as well as Dixie Kong as a third Donkey Kong character (who I would much prefer over Funky Kong), which is why I chose those seven characters in particular for these mockups.

Looks like they added a platform over the offroad at the end of the course. I think you might need to use the blue zipper in order to land on it, which would be an interesting wrinkle.

The remixed music sounds great, and the course looks great visually. Love what they did with the mechanical plants.

Imagine if DK actually stands for Diddy Kong, and we get a reimagined Diddy Kong Racing track that coincides with an NSO release and Diddy coming to Mario Kart 8.
DK tracks usually don't have omit the "k" in their codenames, GCN DK Mountain uses "Gcndm" for example.

Well that’s a surprise; both the timing and the overall selections for the wave. My quick thoughts waking up to see this:
  • DS Mario Circuit was also a technical possibility due to existing in Tour but I really didn’t expect it to get the nod over Airship Fortress, like everyone else. Unless one of the GCN tracks is cut or we somehow get MORE waves I think it’s over for AF.
  • Riverside taking the mystery GBA spot makes me all the more confident in SNES Bowser Castle for Wave 5. Looking forward to the sweet Mario World remix. The Ptooies do help Riverside look a little more interesting at least.
  • Was really looking forward to getting LA this wave, but Bangkok is fun too. Amsterdam is the let down of the cities here but I guess you can’t just use up all the good ones out the gate. Looking like I may be right about the Singapore path too, since we see every route driven in the normal direction in the trailer, so there needs to be a sudden turn around somewhere.
  • Others are pretty much what was expected; DK Summit looks and sounds fine, I wish we were getting Wario Colosseum but Waluigi Stadium looks cool too.

Ehhhh.... I'm a tad disappointed. Was looking forward to LA Laps and DS Airship Fortress. Got neither. However people spin it, DS Mario Circuit is a stinker. Why didn't they just put it in Wave 3, which had a ridiculously good selection of tracks.

FINALLY a course from the best MK game. Overall though not a very strong selection of tracks though.

People are surprised they're picking basic courses over the best ones in their respective games like Airship Fortress, Wario Stadium GCN, DK Mountain etc? I feel like they've been padding this with lower-mid tracks the entire time.

DS Mario Circuit is good, but we should have gotten it over Toad Circuit and gotten another DS track instead.
I think that placing DS Mario Circuit where Toad Circuit is currently wouldn't be a smart move. Toad Circuit is a basic intro course on purpose. It's the second course of the BCP for a reason. DS Mario Circuit is not, it's even further into the game than Shroom Ridge is, another Wave 1 track. Assuming it had to be a 3DS course in that slot, I think something like Daisy Hills would have been a more suitable replacement for Toad Circuit.

toad circuit is dope what the fuck
Toad Circuit is a pretty simple, no frills track. It's perfect at what it's trying to be (basic textures aside), but I don't fault those who wanted something more complex or visually interesting. Of course, you're getting the perspectives of people who have played this game for hundreds of hours, likely since Wii U in 2014. That's not the full demographic of MK8D by a long shot. You need some more basic courses to play on, and that means tracks like Toad Circuit have value.

HMMMMMMMMM

6 MORE WAVES! 6 MORE WAVES! 6 MORE WAVES!!!!

yeah I don't think this means anything until we explicitly hear more.

really interesting to see Luigi Circuit in the Hammer Cup. do you guys think it'll be GBA Luigi Circuit or Wii Luigi Circuit?

they'll definitely have to include a Bowser Castle SNES in the Fireball Cup, I mean c'mon. which of the three do you guys think it'll be

May as well update it once again now that Wave 4 is here.

Mario_Kart_Tour_Course_List.png

and here's a little playlist with all of the Wave 4 tracks to keep them all together:

Last edited:
I didn't really clock it in but every city track in Wave 4 are the city tracks introduced to Mario Kart Tour in 2022: Singapore in January 2022, Amsterdam in April 2022, Bangkok in June 2022.

No Fireball Piranha Plants in DS Mario Circuit? :( I don’t see them on any of the footage.
We don't see them in the footage because none of the footage actually show that section of the course. It's likely still there since the Fire Piranha Plant is also datamined for Tour which is likely also for DS Mario Circuit.

Damn, I just realized we don't have Luigi's Mansion either and now my soul hurts even more that we got Mario Circuit DS over the three infinitely better options of Airship Fortress, Luigi's Mansion, and Delfino Square. Like 3 HUGE PARTS OF THE MARIO world.... come on man...

I also need Daisy Cruiser, Dino Dino Jungle, and DK Mountain NOW, don't skimp on my GCN courses Nintendo.

Would have loved to see Rosalina's Ice World back in too, but we're not that lucky...

I do really like the elevation changes in DS Mario Circuit such as these turns now being banked:
image.png
67658_22.png

EDIT: Just noticed the tree design was retained!

Last edited:
Mario Circuit is my favorite circuit track in entire series

So happy to see it back, it looks wonderful and the music is amazing

Pact with the Airship fortress fans: I would’ve rather had that than Peach Gardens
But we still also need to see Delfino Square and Bowser’s Castle. Especially that version of Bowser’s castle, it was so goood

Updated OP for Wave 4, Wave 3 Banners + Cameos
Busy day for the Mario Kart ST - that means we have an OP update! Enjoy the updated graphics, including new cameos for each banner.

For posterity, here are the banners used in the thread for Wave 3, alongside their cameos. The theme this go around was Nintendo game released in 2022!

Banner 1, featuring Merry Mountain, features cameos from Arceus (Pokemon Legends Arceus), the three members of Deep Cut (Splatoon 3), and Sprigatito (Pokemon Scarlet and Violet):

The-Race-Continues-Wave3.png

Banner 2, depicting London Loop, features cameos from Bayonetta (Bayonetta 3), Noah and Mio (Xenoblade Chronicles 3), and Shez (Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes):

How-To-Purchase-Wave3.png

Banner 3, depicting Berlin Byways, features cameos from a Sportsmate (Nintendo Switch Sports), Pauline (Mario Strikers: Battle League), and Fuecoco (Pokemon Scarlet and Violet):

Trailers-Media-Wave3.png

Banner 4, depicting 3DS Rainbow Road, features cameos from Kirby (Kirby and the Forgotten Land), Edge (Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope), and Quaxly (Pokemon Scarlet and Violet):

See-You-Wave3.png

We're in the second half of the Booster Course Pass, and the thread is still going strong. Thank you, everybody!!

Back to react a little more closely at the tracks. The three City tracks are new to me so I can’t really commentate on them, but I do like these three look quite visually distinct from what we have so far. Yoshi’s Island still looks awesome. It’s my most anticipated track this wave easily.

For the retros, I’m thrilled we have both DK Summit and Waluigi Stadium. They were two of my favorite tracks in Mario Kart Wii in particular (WS, is GCN I know). A bit bummed we got Riverside Park over Lakeside Park which has the more interesting layout, but this new version of Riverside Park looked great in Tour so I’m excited to play it. I am sad with its inclusion only one of the three classic course styles can make it in now - Choco Island, Koopa Beach, and Bowser’s Castle. My big hope would be Choco Island, GCN Peach Beach and GCN Bowser’s Castle to kind of cover them all, but I don’t think it will happen. Finally, a fourth Mario Circuit is a bummer with so many great choices getting passed over (Airship Fortress, Delfino, and Desert Hills especially for me), but I refreshed myself with the layout (thanks Volcanic Dynamo for making it easy for me last page lol) and I do think it’s going to be a fun course. If we did get a Mario Circuit, I would have preferred the N64 and 3DS ones, but I am glad at least we finally have one in 8 with a pipe to go through!

I’m not committed to these yet, but Wave 5 predictions for me would be:

Feather
Tour - Los Angeles
Wii - Koopa Cape
GBA - Sunset Wilds
Tour - Vancouver

Cherry
Tour - Next City
GCN - DK Mountain
SNES - A Bowser’s Castle
New - Piranha Plant Cove

The logic here is that they’ll go through the stuff that was made first for Tour and New pulls. Wave 6 thus gets 2 new cities and the 3 new tracks. Koopa Cape is obviously up next for Wii tracks as the last banner track and it fits well with a Summer release. Sunset Wilds is the last GBA track with both the banner and music leak so that goes right in. I mentioned there were three classic themes missing and while I’d love Choco Island more, Bowser’s Castle is so overdue and so under represented I think it shows up here as the SNES track. My last pick is DK Mountain which is a bit frustrating in that we already have the far superior DK mountain course this wave, but I think it goes here because Wave 6 will have the new DK course in it. DK Mountain is too popular not to have in, so in Wave 5 it goes.

Back to react a little more closely at the tracks. The three City tracks are new to me so I can’t really commentate on them, but I do like these three look quite visually distinct from what we have so far. Yoshi’s Island still looks awesome. It’s my most anticipated track this wave easily.

For the retros, I’m thrilled we have both DK Summit and Waluigi Stadium. They were two of my favorite tracks in Mario Kart Wii in particular (WS, is GCN I know). A bit bummed we got Riverside Park over Lakeside Park which has the more interesting layout, but this new version of Riverside Park looked great in Tour so I’m excited to play it. I am sad with its inclusion only one of the three classic course styles can make it in now - Choco Island, Koopa Beach, and Bowser’s Castle. My big hope would be Choco Island, GCN Peach Beach and GCN Bowser’s Castle to kind of cover them all, but I don’t think it will happen. Finally, a fourth Mario Circuit is a bummer with so many great choices getting passed over (Airship Fortress, Delfino, and Desert Hills especially for me), but I refreshed myself with the layout (thanks Volcanic Dynamo for making it easy for me last page lol) and I do think it’s going to be a fun course. If we did get a Mario Circuit, I would have preferred the N64 and 3DS ones, but I am glad at least we finally have one in 8 with a pipe to go through!

I’m not committed to these yet, but Wave 5 predictions for me would be:

Feather
Tour - Los Angeles
Wii - Koopa Cape
GBA - Sunset Wilds
Tour - Vancouver

Cherry
Tour - Next City
GCN - DK Mountain
SNES - A Bowser’s Castle
New - Piranha Plant Cove

The logic here is that they’ll go through the stuff that was made first for Tour and New pulls. Wave 6 thus gets 2 new cities and the 3 new tracks. Koopa Cape is obviously up next for Wii tracks as the last banner track and it fits well with a Summer release. Sunset Wilds is the last GBA track with both the banner and music leak so that goes right in. I mentioned there were three classic themes missing and while I’d love Choco Island more, Bowser’s Castle is so overdue and so under represented I think it shows up here as the SNES track. My last pick is DK Mountain which is a bit frustrating in that we already have the far superior DK mountain course this wave, but I think it goes here because Wave 6 will have the new DK course in it. DK Mountain is too popular not to have in, so in Wave 5 it goes.
These are identical to my predictions (besides the positions in the cups) so you have my full approval lol

I think the big appeal for SNES Bowser's Castle is that it's the only track not represented yet in Tour. Not only does that work out from a pure novelty standpoint of finally getting it as a retro, but it also gives Nintendo a ton of leeway as to how far they want to go with it. Every other SNES theme was represented in Tour within a year, so it's not really a stretch to think that they were all designed just for Tour without MK8 in mind, hence the simplicity. Bowser's Castle doesn't have that restriction; they can go as far as they want with it, because they aren't constrained by Tour. I could easily see it receive the GBA treatment and get a full overhaul, rather than just getting a simple flat theme like everything else.

Also agree that wave 6 is gonna be kept in the dark as much as possible. Wave 5 feels like a good cleanup wave to drop a lot of the tracks we already know about, while wave 6 can have a bunch of new stuff and other cool surprises.

These are identical to my predictions (besides the positions in the cups) so you have my full approval lol

I think the big appeal for SNES Bowser's Castle is that it's the only track not represented yet in Tour. Not only does that work out from a pure novelty standpoint of finally getting it as a retro, but it also gives Nintendo a ton of leeway as to how far they want to go with it. Every other SNES theme was represented in Tour within a year, so it's not really a stretch to think that they were all designed just for Tour without MK8 in mind, hence the simplicity. Bowser's Castle doesn't have that restriction; they can go as far as they want with it, because they aren't constrained by Tour. I could easily see it receive the GBA treatment and get a full overhaul, rather than just getting a simple flat theme like everything else.

Also agree that wave 6 is gonna be kept in the dark as much as possible. Wave 5 feels like a good cleanup wave to drop a lot of the tracks we already know about, while wave 6 can have a bunch of new stuff and other cool surprises.
Ooh I didn’t consider they can kind of do whatever with an SNES Bowser Castle. I do really enjoy the flat ones, like GBA Bowser Castle 3 and 4, but yeah a fresh spin on it would be cool. Yeah the order of cups could shuffle, I just went with the prefix/music leak to keep it simple.

Yeah I’m really excited for Wave 6 too. It always seemed hard to believe we’d get a grand finale wave with so much new stuff, but thus far it largely keeps holding. Rainbow Road Wii also seems like a lock and is one of my all time favorite tracks, so if that’s done justice too it’s going to be an incredible finale.

Since there are seemingly leaks I’m gonna just put out my predicted characters.

Since Nintendo is making this to preserve tours content I imagine they would do the same for the racers.

I predict 14. Birdo, diddy kong, petey pirahna, funky kong, kamek, hammer bro, king bob-omb, nabbit, Monty mole, Pauline, charging chuck, Dixie kong and peachette. The main problem with this is that there will proabably be future tour racers so this wouldn’t actually include all of the main newcomers.

On a more personal note, my mains are always Wiggler and birdo, so I only really want those two.

If we get Funky over Diddy Im gonna riot. If there was any justice in this world, we would be getting Dixie over both.

I still don't understand why everyone is predicting Petey Piranha either, Pauline is a big one now that shes in Odyssey.

If we get Funky over Diddy Im gonna riot. If there was any justice in this world, we would be getting Dixie over both.

I still don't understand why everyone is predicting Petey Piranha either, Pauline is a big one now that shes in Odyssey.
One of the tracks coming to Mario kart 8 is a petey piranha themed course.

It's been suggested that there's four characters coming, right? So it's probably Birdo, Petey Piranha, Pauline, and Funky Kong.

Quoted by: Tye
It's been suggested that there's four characters coming, right? So it's probably Birdo, Petey Piranha, Pauline, and Funky Kong.
Why in the world would we ever get Funky Kong over Diddy Kong? Like, sure, maybe we’d get both (though I’d certainly hope for Dixie over Funky), but why Funky instead of Diddy?! That’d make no sense! That’s, like…choosing, say, Big the Cat over Tails as a second Sonic character for something.

Yeah, I know Funky is a popular meme character, but you know he was only ever even considered for Mario Kart Wii in the first place due to fitting the biker aesthetic, with bikes being the big new thing for that game. He’s the R.O.B. or Honey Queen of Mario Kart Wii; there’s not much reason to bring him back (outside of Tour), at least certainly not before Diddy!

We are either getting just Diddy or we get multiple Kongs. I don't see the devs leaving Diddy out unless they just forgot he wasn't already in the game lol

Why in the world would we ever get Funky Kong over Diddy Kong? Like, sure, maybe we’d get both (though I’d certainly hope for Dixie over Funky), but why Funky instead of Diddy?! That’d make no sense! That’s, like…choosing, say, Big the Cat over Tails as a second Sonic character for something.

Yeah, I know Funky is a popular meme character, but you know he was only ever even considered for Mario Kart Wii in the first place due to fitting the biker aesthetic, with bikes being the big new thing for that game. He’s the R.O.B. or Honey Queen of Mario Kart Wii; there’s not much reason to bring him back (outside of Tour), at least certainly not before Diddy!
He's the most popular character from Wii. That's reason enough.

He's the most popular character from Wii. That's reason enough.
He was popular because of his stats in that specific game, not really as a character specifically. And being a popular and/or meme character isn’t a free pass to get in, anyway—don’t forget about how Waluigi was left out of Mario Kart 7, after all. Besides, Diddy Kong has been by far a more requested character for Mario Kart 8—probably the most requested returning character, honestly.

Y'know I wouldn't be surprised if it's just Birdo, Diddy, Funky, and Petey. (DK Jr. is in Tour but as a bit of a special case) Those 4 are the MK veterans who weren't in MK8D who returned in Tour and they best qualify as "characters who appeared in previous MK games" going by the wording on the announcement. I could see Tour's newcomers be saved for the next game instead.

Y'know I wouldn't be surprised if it's just Birdo, Diddy, Funky, and Petey. (DK Jr. is in Tour but as a bit of a special case) Those 4 are the MK veterans who weren't in MK8D who returned in Tour and they best qualify as "characters who appeared in previous MK games" going by the wording on the announcement. I could see Tour's newcomers be saved for the next game instead.
Tour is also a previous Mario Kart game and the Booster Course Pass is literally filled with courses from it; why would they hold back adding characters from it as well?

Tour is also a previous Mario Kart game and the Booster Course Pass is literally filled with courses from it; why would they hold back adding characters from it as well?

Tour isn't a previous MK, it's the latest one in the series. I could see Tour characters get in but with the way Nintendo worded it as "characters from past Mario Kart games" they gave themselves an out if Tour characters don't make it over.

I just did a few laps on all of the SNES Bowser Castles on NSO to refresh myself. BC1 is definitely too basic so I don’t want that one. BC2 is pretty solid and kind of twisty so not a bad pick. BC3 is the clear winner imo. I think the big issue is that it is a little cramped, but if you give a smidge more room for turns I think it’d be pretty exciting. As Thunder discussed above, if they were to transform it a bit, I think there’s some good room to get creative too without losing the identity of the track.

Where are some of you seeing suggestions of just four characters? Link please!

I remember reading an interview when Mario Kart 8 came to Wii U and the interviewer asked Yabuki about characters. He basically apologized in the interview to the fans of Bowser Jr., Dry Bones, King Boo, and Diddy Kong in particular which stood out to me cause the first 3 of those got added immediately into MK8D. Then Diddy was a launch day character in Tour and the only MK vet they immediately put in the mobile game.

Back
Top Bottom