• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Manga |ST| Jump In!

Neru's interesting in that there is a very noticeable disconnect between Jpn twitter polls and the ToC. Neru does well in the polls I can find, but the voter pool's only a sample size of ~160-180 people. So there's probably some self selection bias going on where... the people predisposed to post their votes on twitter tend to like Neru moreso than the general Jump voting readership?

Edit: Btw, when I refer to Jpn twitter polls, I'm looking through this. When a poll results go up, it's for the previous issue, of course. So results put up on the 24th reflect voting done over the week for the issue that came out on the 17th.

Very behind on them, but I do love Witch Watch and Blue Box a lot. I click with Shinohara Kenta's sense of humor, and Blue Box is so different from what we usually see in a Jump manga. It's so soft from the art style to the content and it's overall very sweet.

Neru has been really boring tbh. Not enough fighting in this team battle, I don't even know who these people are supposed to be

Sakamoto Days and Magu-chan are easily my favorites of the newer Jump series. Nothing but quality week after week.

Neru has been really boring tbh. Not enough fighting in this team battle, I don't even know who these people are supposed to be

Sakamoto Days and Magu-chan are easily my favorites of the newer Jump series. Nothing but quality week after week.

Yeah, that is fair. This week was kind of a waste of a chapter in hindsight, the author really needs to get this fight going.

I always see so much praise for Sakamoto Days but it just did not click with me. Idk. Sakamoto being silent just didn’t really work for me. I do need to read more Magu-chan because I liked the few chapters I read of it.

Being as silent as he is, you probably need to get a bit further in for the series to introduce more characters to play off of him, and see how that works for you.
Other than that, the quality of action and comedy stay fairly consistent. And the... paneling? Composition? remains excellent. Something I didn't notice on my own, but agree with upon reading, is that the flow of action is really good. Suzuki Yuuto is probably one of those folks with a knack for using the medium.

I also concur with Magu-chan being another good one. I get the feeling it has carved out its own niche within the magazine as one of the few series that seems to be targeting the little kiddos demograhic (it's certainly the most child friendly series I can think of in current Jump). Which unfortunately also strikes me as a hurdle/restraint on its ability to catch on in western manga fandom. But back to the series itself; it's usually a nice, feel good cleanser. Or it would be a cleanser if it wasn't one of the first series I read each week...

Well, I picked up the first 12 volumes of Berserk on sale. So here we go.

Also if anyone is really familiar with the series and can let me know if there is a more natural stopping point let me know. I would definitely buy another volume or two if it gets me to a better stopping point or the end of an arc. I will likely not purchase any more volumes until a future sale.

The Dark Horse digital store is weird. The volumes are $4.99 in the app, $4.50 on the website. They have also have bundles of 4 volumes for $29.99 which I’m not sure why they were not also discounted.

Wotakoi: Love Is Hard for Otaku

I've read everything but the newest English volume (which corresponds to volumes 9+10 of the original). I like this series a lot, it's very cute and light and fun. The characters are all really tropey but they're likable and the series is genuinely pretty funny. I think what makes this series work for me is that it's about young professionals, I think they are all in their mid/late 20s. It's a nice change of pace to read a romcom that's not about high school students.

Started a few series this past week:
My Dress Up Darling - Still in the middle of volume 1. It's cute and sweet so far, and I had been wanting another straightforward romcom without much drama. I think the sexualization gets to be a bit much at points though. Feels a bit unnecessary at points? I guess a lot of it feels like real teenage stuff though.

Boy Meets Maria - Only two chapters into this. Got a strong recommendation from a friend on it. Art is really good, but feels hard to form an opinion on till I finish. I don't think I've ever really read a BL story before thinking about it, but it's nice to see it's pretty devoid of any sort of mean spirited elements so far.

Red Hood chapter 17

I really wonder how that is going to go down in Japan. I can laugh at it
but I'm not the one being blamed

That last chapter of MHA.

my God, New Order is so over powered. My eyes got super wide when I saw her do the fist bump with the atmosphere itself. I cannot wait for this to get animated.

Red Hood chapter 17

I really wonder how that is going to go down in Japan. I can laugh at it
but I'm not the one being blamed

I kind of loved the last two chapters. I really wonder how much of this meta narrative was always part of the author’s plan and how much is a response to being cancelled. Whatever it is, it’s 1000x more interesting than the cops and robbers training arc snooze fest. I’m really interested to see how the author is gonna end things.

Neru 16

The fight was cool, over quickly but that's fine. The sudden introduction of Neru's mom is kind of strange. With the rankings for this series, I've been sort of waiting for the when the bottom is gonna fall out. I'm wondering if Neru's mom is gonna drag him back home or something like that.

No Dandadan this week 😔

Choujin X 12

Really fun action chapter. This series has had great art but this chapter was really a treat. Shiozaki’s design is so cool. Ely and Tokio are so great as protags. Loving this series so much! I just sometimes forget about it since it’s published irregularly.

I guess I should probably read Tokyo Ghoul.

WSJ new series
3 New Shonen Jump Series

#50: Ayashimon by Kaku Yuuji (Jigokuraku)
#51: Mamore! Shugomaru by Ihara Daiki (Koisuru One Piece)
#52: Dorodororon by Osuka Gen (Golem Hearts)

WSJ new series
3 New Shonen Jump Series

#50: Ayashimon by Kaku Yuuji (Jigokuraku)
#51: Mamore! Shugomaru by Ihara Daiki (Koisuru One Piece)
#52: Dorodororon by Osuka Gen (Golem Hearts)
What got canceled to make way for these?

It's pretty rough out there for people like me who like to collect the physical books. I'm assuming it's mostly tied to all the shipping delays from covid, but so many books are backordered, especially the popular books. I'm waiting on Death Note Black Edition and Chainsaw Man books right now. And it took maybe six weeks to get some backordered Berserk Deluxe Edition books.

Okaeri Alice - Afterword volume 3

This manga continues to be a great introspective, so much that even the author's afterwords are super interesting. This time Oshimi talks about his own struggles with masturbation when he was a teen and how he felt completely undesirable as his body changed developing acne and facial hair. It was honestly pretty "real" and funny at the same time.

Kaiju No. 8 - 49

I'm not as high on this as other people are, but it's been good lately. Pretty cool chapter. I wonder if the general is actually going to get killed or if he's going to get stripped of the kaiju power or something and go on as just an advisor to the protags.

Dandadan - 31

The way this series makes you feel things for utterly bizarre monsters/aliens/ghosts/whatever is something else. Okarun has a heart of gold.

PPPPPP - 8

Dare I say....this might be starting to grow on me.

Elusive Samurai - 39

I kind of liked this series more when it was about recruiting all the members of the Elusive Warriors. I wish it focused more on that small group, I have a really hard time keeping up with the story now. There are so many Japanese names, places, factions, etc. I can't keep it all straight (not the manga's fault).

Show-ha Shoten! - 1 & 2

I honestly loved this, it was so heartfelt and the characters are so great. I love how the family even got a lot of focus. Really looking forward to reading more of this!

Ase to Sekken (Sweat and Soap) Volume 10

Really sad there's only one volume left to be released in English before it's over. Kinda questionable first chapter aside, this has become one of my favorite romances in manga. Asako and Kotaro are such a perfect couple and their entire relationship has been so well paced and sweet.

Doron Dororon Chapter 1

Well that was what it was. Neither good nor bad, no twists or turns,
just the usual powerless sap who saves the day and goes on to be a hero.

Doron Dororon Chapter 1

Well that was what it was. Neither good nor bad, no twists or turns,
just the usual powerless sap who saves the day and goes on to be a hero.
It’s competent which could result in it lasting a while, it’s nothing special but if it’s consistent that sometimes is what it takes and it could build into something more interesting

It’s competent which could result in it lasting a while, it’s nothing special but if it’s consistent that sometimes is what it takes and it could build into something more interesting
I'm not overly down on it, it was just all seen before so this will come across as negative.

Killing ghosts with swords is Bleach and some earth based society that didn't want him isn't as interesting as Soul society. Getting powers from a mascot character makes me think of Kon and he was a dumped plot point for much of it.

What's worse is they out right say he has no power so presumably he can't get Ichigo style power ups, and they show he can't damage the monsters by himself. Asta in Black Clover was magicless but they showed his strength was still useful. He went on to become a decent character in an enjoyable series but he had a grimoire, this new guy is dead the second he lets go of the shape shifting monster.

Hopefully it does become interesting but I'm not seeing how we get there off of what was shown in this starting issue.

Tonikaku Kawaii Chapter 168

It will never matter to me how long ago it was or how bad Hayate no Gotoku turned out, I will always get misty-eyed when Hata Kenjirou brings out Hayate, Nagi, and Maria for a gag. Tonikaku Kawaii has been consistently good since it's debut and has been firing on all cylinders since the Fly Me To The Moon prequel. I take it as Hata learning from the mistakes and fine tuning the strengths of Hayate, my only hope at this point is that it doesn't get dragged out for about 200/300 more chapters than it needs to.

Finally grabbed and read Getter Devolutipn 1… good stuf! But boy this version of Michuru got taken out quick and dirty and darn, now I need to order the other 4 volumes when I get my next paycheck XD

I’ve fallen behind on all the Jump stuff since I finally took the plunge and started reading Berserk since it was pretty cheap on sale. I’ve now read the first 14 volumes and completed the Golden Age arc. It’s really an amazing manga, (mostly) great writing, incredible art, and an amazing world and fascinating lore.

(Spoilers ahead)

The glaring weakness, and I don’t think I’m saying anything new here, is Casca. Understanding that this is a manga from the early-mid 90s, written by a man who grew up in 80s Japan, it’s still very disappointing and frankly disturbing the way Casca is handled. She is a great character and has a few really great moments to shine that shows Miura was capable of writing her well. This is mostly overshadowed by her nearly being raped 3-4 times (always with comically perky breasts and gigantic nipples abound), culminating in her actually being raped by a literal tentacle monster (!) and then by Griffith. I find using Casca’s rape as a plot device and a way to torture Guts and show how evil Griffith is distasteful enough, but the excessive and lengthy depiction of it is frankly disturbing. There are some panels where she basically looks like she’s enjoying it. It’s clearly meant to be titillating, and it’s upsetting to imagine Miura painstakingly drawing each panel. It’s awful. I spoiled myself a little, and learning that Casca essentially never speaks again or recovers until the very end is supremely disappointing.

That was by far the worst aspect but I also did start to grow tired of the general level of extreme violence, sex, and violent sex by the end. Was it really necessary to have the king molest his daughter, and did we have to see it happen? Was it really necessary to watch Guts and Casca have sex for an entire chapter and have Guts choke her because of his past trauma? A lot of this stuff just felt very fetishized and immature in a manga that otherwise features some really great writing and characters. I’m excited to see where the story goes next but I need a break. Time to catch up on Jump and maybe read a romcom 😅

Kingdom 702

That guy has gone from teleporting armies to teleporting bricks. It's never built up, he just always has the ability to be a thorn in their side when he shows up.

really excited for this new arc in Kingdom. Riboku's last arc you all think?

What happend with UQ Holder around volume 10? :/

The manga was very very good until then, and suddenly, characters appeared from nowhere without proper explanation; the story doesn't make sense anymore; plus the girls are naked all the time (well, this is usual by Akamatsu, but from #10 it seems very forced).
I read that one of his senior key staff left to work with her husband on another manga series. She was the one who helped to reviewed the plots and even designed some of the students in maji.

I guess no one was able to kept him in check after that and the series turned to shit.

Kingdom 696

Well that was stupid. Really not what to do if you are trying to unify the regions and some of those soldiers could have been useful in future fights.

Kingdom 697

Said he was stupid last week and now were going to find out just how screwed he is.
Kingdom 705

His total stupidity is still causing issues 10 chapters and a time skip later.

Just finished Fist of the North Star volume 3 in their new hardcover releases and One Piece Vol. 98. I love the manga, but the action and plethora of characters I think makes this series ideal to watch the anime as a sort of companion. I just recently read that the newest collections of the anime are now being released in blu-ray, so I may go about collecting those as well.

I've been reading some Seven Deadly Sins since I heard the anime doesn't have the best animation. I started from the beginning but I don't mind it since I love the art style!

Also I've been reading some Demon Slayer. I find that the manga has a tad more humour compared to the anime; the anime is a little more serious.

I read manga by borrowing them digitally from my local libraries so if those two aren't available then I borrow some Hunter x Hunter. I finished the anime so I thought to read manga from the beginning. It seems there's no rush though since the writer is slow to release new material haha.

Dr Stone ending has made me very, VERY sad
The only manga I was still reading were One Piece, Dr. Stone, My Hero Academia and Black Clover. With one of those now over and two more probably over within the year, I'll be left with only One Piece. This hobby has really died down for me unfortunately

EDIT: Well technically I still read Hunter x Hunter, but uh...

I need to catch up on One Piece and finish Chainsaw Man, haven't read any comics in months...
Chainsaw man is pretty short, for me that was a days read :D

One piece though, I dunno how one can drop it and then come back later, so hyped each week for a new chapter :D

Massive bump here. Turns out we do have a manga thread after all!

So, I'm one of those who think the Omni manga of Evangelion is way better than the anime. I find the anime/EoE to be a bit inconsistent, and the manga just lands the punches and the pacing better.

So doing a yearly re-read now. Can't stress enough how much I love Eva. It's such a powerful, resonant and rounded series. The characters are so three-dimensional and the story is rich with both tension, mystery and laughter. It does have some pretty ugh-I'll-just-skim-this-part moment (and I also skim the battle scenes that are illegible in manga format) but on the whole, it's an amazing story, way ahead of its time, and something that always, always hits the feels.

I ended up bonding with my best friend a lot over Eva, and I'm grateful she introduced me to it.

Not to mention that it has directly influenced so many games, like Xenogears, Final Fantasy VII, Automata and 13 Sentinels.

This thread is so quiet. :( not many manga fans here?

I'm really enjoying The Fable which is about a hitman who has to live an ordinary life for a year. Probably doesn't sound like much from that description, but it's fantastic.

I'm currently only following One Piece and JoJo's Part 9. I've become wary with new series after the last two I've been following have been axed way too soon by Jump :/

This thread is so quiet. :( not many manga fans here?

I'm really enjoying The Fable which is about a hitman who has to live an ordinary life for a year. Probably doesn't sound like much from that description, but it's fantastic.

I read quite a bit of manga! I was having a search last week to see if we had a manga thread actually but I saw this had been dead for so long I didn't want to be the one to bump it XD I've been reading creepy thrillery stuff for October so I read a bunch of Homunculus which was almost a bit much at points, I'm not sure I'd feel okay just blanket recommending it, some of the imagery is ALOT and it's very dark thematically but it was really good and thought provoking, just something I'drecommend folks read up on before looking at it and getting an idea of the content. Now I'm reading Monster, which I've read about half of before but could never get the rest in print to finish . I have it all here this time so that should keep me busy until the end of the month. I'm thinking maybe Dai Dark next!

Back
Top Bottom