• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Man, am I the only one less hyped after the latest BotW2 trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look I get being disappointed in the trailers or wanting the marketing to be different but this restless attitude I'm seeing in this thread is almost childish. If you're not sure the game will be good, if you fear the game will be Breath of the Wild 1.2 after 6 years of dev, if you have so little faith in the Zelda team that your default attitude when seeing a vague trailer is to assume the worst, then just wait. The answers will come, whether in a new trailer, or in previews and reviews closer to launch. It seems easier to accept this than to indulge in doomposting, which is frankly what some of these posts read like.

And if this was the first trailer you might have a reasonable point.

They've been stringing along with vague trailers for almost 3 years and people are getting tired of it.

Then focus more on the "normal behavior" part of my post, because no one is being childish.
I'm gonna be honest your latest posts don't strike me as that constructive either so I think it's just better to let you guys have fun on your own.

I'm gonna be honest your latest posts don't strike me as that constructive either so I think it's just better to let you guys have fun on your own.
You've given me no substance to work with, like what else should I have said in reply to you accusing people of childishness based on their opinions lol

The best selling Zelda and the highest rated apart from Ocarina of Time.

I’d say you were in a small minority tbh.

Like they say though, the moany/negative voices are usually the loudest

AcidicLoneFoxterrier-max-1mb.gif

The loudest posts in this thread are the people whinging that people aren't into the BotW2 trailer

I always liked Big Brain Academy more as a kid. Dr. Kawashima's game was just so plain and clinical looking. I liked the more cartoony style better.
We don't respect Big Brain Academy in this thread! :mad:

I always liked Big Brain Academy more as a kid. Dr. Kawashima's game was just so plain and clinical looking. I liked the more cartoony style better.
Big brain Academy children vs Dr. Kawashima GODS. It's not even a fair fight. And don't even make me pull out the devil horns from infernal.

Marketing being bad is your opinion though, and it's not one supported by the evidence. Good marketing gets people talking about the product and wanting to know more, that's precisely what's happening here.

This is one step away from "any PR is good PR"

Big brain Academy children vs Dr. Kawashima GODS. It's not even a fair fight. And don't even make me pull out the devil horns from infernal.

This is what I mean! That just looks scary. I don't want to do scary math! I want to do either no math or mildly fun math!

True, but it’s a bullet point in favor of the marketing being effective rather than not
It's not a substantive one, and I don't think that BotW2 is going to be affected significantly one way or the other by marketing, because it will sell well on its prestige alone. However, like, most of the comments are either "The marketing has been a bit shit" or "Yeah it's not great but have faith!" I rarely see "this is exactly how I want the game to be marketed!"

Look I get being disappointed in the trailers or wanting the marketing to be different but this restless attitude I'm seeing in this thread is almost childish. If you're not sure the game will be good, if you fear the game will be Breath of the Wild 1.2 after 6 years of dev, if you have so little faith in the Zelda team that your default attitude when seeing a vague trailer is to assume the worst, then just wait. The answers will come, whether in a new trailer, or in previews and reviews closer to launch. It seems easier to accept this than to indulge in doomposting, which is frankly what some of these posts read like.
Not being excited by commercial for product is childish.

In a way, the greatest marketing of all is fans saying to trust the development team and that it’s the sequel to the greatest game of all time
I've never felt more interested in a game than by having its fans lecture me about why I should be more interested

In a way, the greatest marketing of all is fans saying to trust the development team and that it’s the sequel to the greatest game of all time
I'm 100% confident in the Zelda team. Every single game they made is at least a good experience and at best a genre defining masterpiece. Hell, I love BOTW in spite of its flaws. What other game allows you to climb EVERYTHING with basically no restrictions? It's so freeing. I'll be there again even if the game is more of the same.

Not being excited by commercial for product is childish.

Like I said in a previous page, I am very sorry for not being hyped for the sequel to arguably the greatest game of all time. Having now calmed down, and watched the trailer 4 times in a row on my Nintendo Switch OLED Model screen, I can safely say, the marketing is making me want to buy a copy of the game at $69.99 or regional equivalent (but don't worry, this will not be the price of all Nintendo games going forward) for everyone who doubted the marketing just to prove you all wrong.

Trust me. Watch the trailer. When it clicks:

Like I said in a previous page, I am very sorry for not being hyped for the sequel to arguably the greatest game of all time. Having now calmed down, and watched the trailer 4 times in a row on my Nintendo Switch OLED Model screen, I can safely say, the marketing is making me want to buy a copy of the game at $69.99 or regional equivalent (but don't worry, this will not be the price of all Nintendo games going forward) for everyone who doubted the marketing just to prove you all wrong.

Trust me. Watch the trailer. When it clicks:

This post is Martin Scorcese approved

From a certain angle, the marketing of TotK so far has been brilliant.

The angle being, they're leaning heavily into the allure and mystique of the game, playing into the hands of theorists and WoM alone. The Zelda fans are passionate and has made literal careers out of just talking about the series to hundreds of thousands of people. If Nintendo knows this, they know exactly what they're doing. Marketing a game based on questions alone can be incredibly effective. Sure, it might be less fun the 4th time coming, but for me personally, it has just got me more excited than ever just seeing all these things and mysteries and dying so much to know all the answers that May 12th just can't come soon enough.

But yeah, that's just a perspective and a way of looking at things.

and I don't think that BotW2 is going to be affected significantly one way or the other by marketing, because it will sell well on its prestige alone
Objectively though, if the product sells, then the marketing did its job. If the marketing was truly bad, then the product’s sales would take a hit.

Mind you I agree that the trailers were “a bit shit”, but I don’t agree that they’ve been horrendous. I’m still excited for the game, maybe not as hyped as I would have hoped, but still excited

I'm 100% confident in the Zelda team. Every single game they made is at least a good experience and at best a genre defining masterpiece. Hell, I love BOTW in spite of its flaws. What other game allows you to climb EVERYTHING with basically no restrictions? It's so freeing. I'll be there again even if the game is more of the same.
I’m confident the game will be good as a baseline. Nintendo’s internal studios rarely make subpar games. I had a lot of fun with BOTW. Will it be great? I have no way to know that. But I know I’ll be disappointed if they don’t address at least some the first game’s biggest issues, which include the handling of the story and lack of proper dungeons.

As I’ve said before, all this “you can build a car!” stuff is not what I play Zelda for and I hope they don’t deviate too far in that direction.

Objectively though, if the product sells, then the marketing did its job. If the marketing was truly bad, then the product’s sales would take a hit.

Mind you I agree that the trailers were “a bit shit”, but I don’t agree that they’ve been horrendous. I’m still excited for the game, maybe not as hyped as I would have hoped, but still excited
Aight

I’m confident the game will be good as a baseline. Nintendo’s internal studios rarely make subpar games. I had a lot of fun with BOTW. Will it be great? I have no way to know that. But I know I’ll be disappointed if they don’t address at least some the first game’s biggest issues, which include the handling of the story and lack of proper dungeons.

As I’ve said before, all this “you can build a car!” stuff is not what I play Zelda for and I hope they don’t deviate too far in that direction.
Fair post, but idk man, trust the plan, have hope, it'll be certified kino, etc.
The fact that the sheikah (?) arm can turn objects with gyro is already a good idea. And stasis rewind looks amazing. I'm sure the car building is a fun side activity to help transportation.

Fair post, but idk man, trust the plan, have hope, it'll be certified kino, etc.
The fact that the sheikah (?) arm can turn objects with gyro is already a good idea. And stasis rewind looks amazing. I'm sure the car building is a fun side activity to help transportation.
I think one’s trust stems from how they felt about BOTW. Personally I’m not a big open world guy, I put about 50-60 hours into the game and had my fill, and I enjoyed it a lot, but wouldn’t put it near my favorite Zelda titles. A solid 8/10. The fact that I finished the main quest and kept playing even after is a testament to how good the game is because I can’t think of any other open world title I’ve put more than 15-20 hours into.

I’m not gonna use the term “overrated” because I hate that term in general, but I think because BOTW was just another great game I played, not life changing or anything, I have different expectations and apprehensions. If it’s as good as BOTW, great, that’s about where my expectations are. But that’s really gonna depend on how much new content there is in the game, and if it’s detrimental or complimentary to the core experience.

You've given me no substance to work with, like what else should I have said in reply to you accusing people of childishness based on their opinions lol

AcidicLoneFoxterrier-max-1mb.gif

The loudest posts in this thread are the people whinging that people aren't into the BotW2 trailer
Sorry, the SAS gif reminded me of this clip (timestamped) that fits this thread

Substantiate that claim would you
???

Which part? Both parts are quite obviously true. People are talking about this game everywhere. The trailer is going on 3.5M views I believe. There are no less than 5 very active threads here about it and other sites have a lot more, plus all the YouTubers are putting out tons of videos. This has sparked a ton of interest and engagement.

And that is absolutely the purpose of marketing for a product that isn't yet out.

Is this a serious thread ? OP asking if they’re the only one just days after all the doom and gloom reaction threads?

Anyhow as ever so often people love to overreact to anything Nintendo announces or does not announce.

It was not a 10/10 trailer but I don’t see how this should spell doom for the game.

If you didn’t enjoy BotW you were likely never going to enjoy the sequel. All those that were hoping for some kind of turnaround from one of the most critically and commercially acclaimed Zelda games were always in for a disappointment.

if you liked Breath of the Wild chances are you’re going to love the sequel.

???

Which part? Both parts are quite obviously true. People are talking about this game everywhere. The trailer is going on 3.5M views I believe. There are no less than 5 very active threads here about it and other sites have a lot more, plus all the YouTubers are putting out tons of videos. This has sparked a ton of interest and engagement.

And that is absolutely the purpose of marketing for a product that isn't yet out.
Are you saying that these things would not have happened if the trailer was really good? People wouldn't make YouTube videos or forum threads about a game they thought looked cool?

You just know that a lot of the same people that are saying the marketing is just being cryptic and that you need to have more faith in the Zelda team are the same exact people that will say to disappointed fans " i don't know what people were expecting, they were very upfront about the game in the trailers! " after the game releases.

Are you saying that these things would not have happened if the trailer was really good? People wouldn't make YouTube videos or forum threads about a game they thought looked cool?
No. I'm not as saying this trailer was good, I'm saying the overall marketing has been good, mainly because it doesn't spoil too much and still has people asking tons of fundamental questions, which is exactly how you keep a game within the public consciousness up until release. If they had revealed everything about this last year interest would've started to dull over time, instead we're 3 months away and still have tons of questions and therefore expectations for more info to come.

It keeps the targeted audience engaged and hungry, rather than satisfied but distracted. The fact that this thread even exists is proof that this is good marketing.

I think there's a considerable group of people that consider BoTW the best overall game on Switch. These folks, myself included, have been waiting so long for a substantial trailer that questions about particular gameplay elements don't hold a candle to the wonder about the possibilities we're perceiving. Our excitement created from what we've seen far outweighs any and all frustration about what we haven't seen.

I think the vast majority of people who absolutely loved BoTW have no issue waiting another month or 2 for another trailer or gameplay, because we've waited so much longer already. Our love for BoTW made the long waits between trailers so much worse, and Wednesday's trailer makes a couple months wait for another one so trivial since we had to wait 2 whole years between the 1st and 2nd trailers. We were so patient because we knew that the waiting would be worth it, and although we are not completely compelled by the last trailer, I think it has given us a lot faith that when a full-blown trailer releases, in a relatively short amount of time, it will blow everyone away who sincerely enjoyed BoTW.

I think there's a considerable group of people that consider BoTW the best overall game on Switch. These folks, myself included, have been waiting so long for a substantial trailer that questions about particular gameplay elements don't hold a candle to the wonder about the possibilities we're perceiving. Our excitement created from what we've seen far outweighs any and all frustration about what we haven't seen.

I think the vast majority of people who absolutely loved BoTW have no issue waiting another month or 2 for another trailer or gameplay, because we've waited so much longer already. Our love for BoTW made the long waits between trailers so much worse, and Wednesday's trailer makes a couple months wait for another one so trivial since we had to wait 2 whole years between the 1st and 2nd trailers. We were so patient because we knew that the waiting would be worth it, and although we are not completely compelled by the last trailer, I think it has given us a lot faith that when a full-blown trailer releases, in a relatively short amount of time, it will blow everyone away who sincerely enjoyed BoTW.
This is about people who don't feel that way I guess.

No. I'm not as saying this trailer was good, I'm saying the overall marketing has been good, mainly because it doesn't spoil too much and still has people asking tons of fundamental questions, which is exactly how you keep a game within the public consciousness up until release. If they had revealed everything about this last year interest would've started to dull over time, instead we're 3 months away and still have tons of questions and therefore expectations for more info to come.

It keeps the targeted audience engaged and hungry, rather than satisfied but distracted. The fact that this thread even exists is proof that this is good marketing.
I feel like the biggest question it has people asking is "why would I want to spend $70 on this?". I don't think that's the kind of question Nintendo wants people to think of.

I feel like the biggest question it has people asking is "why would I want to spend $70 on this?". I don't think that's the kind of question Nintendo wants people to think of.
Yeah I don't think so, I've barely seen anyone even in this thread saying anything like that.

Plus, the game isn't out yet, so the marketing's goal is not yet to get people buying it. Just to keep people interested.

I doubt this will be a topic outside some online forums at all. People outside the US have been paying this price for BotW already and are used to even higher prices on other systems.

Plus nobody will have to pay this price at all, as they are several different options to get the game cheaper both physically and digitally.

I feel this outrage is akin to the Pokédex outrage for SwSh or the whole debate around S/V and then all these games went on to sell absolute gang busters.

Yeah I don't think so, I've barely seen anyone even in this thread saying anything like that.

Plus, the game isn't out yet, so the marketing's goal is not yet to get people buying it. Just to keep people interested.
Have you been looking at social media? Tons of people have been talking about how they don't like the trailer and aren't interested in the game. It's like that in basically every forum, subreddit, and fan community I've seen.

They opened up preorders in the eshop as part of the direct announcement, they're 100% at the point of trying to get people paying for it.

Have you been looking at social media? Tons of people have been talking about how they don't like the trailer and aren't interested in the game. It's like that in basically every forum, subreddit, and fan community I've seen.
I haven't seen anything like that at all to be quite honest. I've seen "they need to show more" not "I don't think this is worth $70", which are not the same sentiment.

Either way the fact that people feel the need to comment on it all is a sign of successful pre-release marketing. Outside of ethics issues there really is no such thing as bad publicity. Especially for games.

They opened up preorders in the eshop as part of the direct announcement, they're 100% at the point of trying to get people paying for it.
People who preorder games are generally going to buy it regardless, they aren't the main target of the marketing.

I think the marketing is not good.
Does that mean i think the game is bad? no.

BotW and Zelda is big enough, that when the game is out, social media , gaming media and word of mouth will do its thing, and the quality of the game will sell the game more then trailers could.

A friend of mine only yesterday had the time to look at the trailer (doesn't really follow game discourse or directs), and the comment was:
"eh, not that hyped" it simply is missing the fresh magic of the first.

And thats why im honestly thinking, showing less and being:
"just wait, its a great game, you'll see more close to launch" would have worked more. assuming the game is great. cause with such short clips that cant show enough to be satisfactory but show enough to jump to bad conclusions... eh.

I was counting on it selling itself last week. With it being 70 bucks, I feel pretty confident in saying that I am no longer interested at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom