• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Man, am I the only one less hyped after the latest BotW2 trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's truly the modern internet discourse conundrum.

If Nintendo did some 45 minute presentation on TotK that was like "here is a full explanation of all the story teases that set up the adventure, here is the players goal, this is why you want to explore sky islands, this is why you want to explore the underground, this is why you want to explore the old map, this is how dungeons work in totk, this is how your new arm powers work, etc" people would be crying that Nintendo has spoiled everything and "I would have rather found that out while playing"

But instead Nintendo has gone with the "you know what this is, here's a tease of some new stuff you'll be able to play around with", and everyone's crying about how disappointing the game looks because they've shown so little.

People want to be spoiled, and when they get spoiled they complain they got spoiled

As meme Miyamoto says "you don't know what you like, that's why I make wii sports at least with families we're always right"
The sweetspot that people seem to want is a central hook or mechanic that they can show off which can easily be imagined to creatively impact the BotW gameplay loop throughout the experience without actually showing the rest of it. The crux of the issue is that, from what I can see, there isn't one.

Well, that's a bit of a stretch; I believe the sky islands have crazy navigational level design potential that'll recontextualize the entire overworld in a really meaningful way. However, that's not getting across to people in the marketing.

And I think a similar problem pervades the whole thing. You can absolutely describe this game as BotW with sky islands, new runes, and zany vehicles, and you'd probably be proven right after the game comes out. But I also think those things will combine to be much more than the sum of their parts. How do you communicate that in a trailer? I'm not sure.

It is worth noting, I suppose, that BotW would not have left nearly the impression it did at E3 2016 if it were just the trailer. What left a lasting impression was the creativity possible with Stasis and Magnesis combining with the physics engine, which wasn't at all demonstrated in the trailer (Stasis didn't even appear), as well as the scope of the map demonstrated in the demo with Trinen making far off pins to show what the actual scale was.

Does TotK need something similar? Perhaps. But I think now that we get the scale on which this game is operating, it wouldn't hit nearly the same. I imagine this discussion will continue until reviews are out and the game drops, regardless of what marketing decides to show.

I am saying that if I had no knowledge of BOTW, the trailers for Tears of Kingdom wouldn't convince me to play either game. The thread is talking about the recent trailer and I am saying that none of the trailers for the game so far has did anything for me. Thus, I am going to buy the game purely because I assume/hope the game is as good as BOTW.
That is an assumption I’m willing to let you have but I thoroughly doubt it. Part of the issue with making such a claim is the knowledge of BotW. Without BotW this would all be 100% new to all, and I can’t say your current reaction would be the same. Or the very present reaction of “That doesn’t look new/different enough from BotW to garner new interest” which wouldn’t be an issue.

People seem to be at odds with what’s expected from a direct sequel and a rampantly abundant pessimism. One that insinuates 6 years will amount to little “new” in the hands of one of Nintendo’s best studios. I’d rather like to think they know more about game development than I do and afford them “trust”.

I think it's a bit of both. BOTW is coming from a place of such high, especially since it's status has grown since release, it's going to be very difficult for a sequel to beat that.

At the same time, Nintendo hasn't shown very much of Tears of the Kingdom. There's even a thread complaining about the lack of marketing.
I think it's deliberate on Nintendo's part to bring expectations down with teaser trailers that don't show very much, and then they hit us with an info dump of the true scale of this game right before launch. I'm almost certain there's something or more than one thing that's being hidden from us. Be it multiplayer/co-op or some sort of light/dark world mechanic that would make the scale of this game truly enormous.

The game is 18.2 GB, whch would make it one of the largest Nintendo published titles in terms of game card size. What did they manage to cram in there?

Last edited:
As I've pointed out in another thread, compare these trailers to the Mario Odyssey trailer:

In 2 and a half minutes they brilliantly showcase the Cappy mechanic and say "here's the game." In TOTK we have... vehicles? Sky? It's very incoherent.

I think marketing a game based on nothing but hype from the previous game is a poor choice no matter how much the final game ends up. I don't care about Switch 2 whatsoever, this has nothing to do with that.

lmao knock it off. I can have apprehension about the game without you saying something as condescending as this.

Condescending to state that you may not like a game? It isn’t malicious in any respect. If someone is apprehensive of falling off a ledge, it isn’t condescending to point out they can indeed fall from it. It is a possibility.

If you feel apprehensive about a game and feel what it is showing isn’t interesting you, you may not enjoy what it’s offering. Lol it really isn’t something to get in your emotions about.

I'm almost certain there's something or more than one thing that's being hidden from us. Be it multiplayer/co-op or some sort of light/dark world mechanic that would make the scale of this game truly enormous.
I wouldn't count on anything larger than the sky islands showing up myself, but we'll see.

Personally I didn't find any of BotW's trailers to be particularly good so I didn't have any expectations for BotW2's. This is the type of game that the less you know the more fun you have so I'm not even watching any beyond the reveal.

Personally I didn't find any of BotW's trailers to be particularly good so I didn't have any expectations for BotW2's. This is the type of game that the less you know the more fun you have so I'm not even watching any beyond the reveal.
🤣😂

I’m confident in that.

Odyssey trailer is a great comparison, just goes to show how poor the marketing for this game is. Like, I call it Breath of the Wild 2 out of habit, but honestly, it's BotW2 in a way MM isn't OoT2.

The thing is for me, BotW was exciting because it had mystique behind it. BotW2 meanwhile I suspect it's BotW again, but I'm looking for more than BotW2, and they haven't shown me TotK yet.

Condescending to state that you may not like a game? It isn’t malicious in any respect. If someone is apprehensive of falling off a ledge, it isn’t condescending to point out they can indeed fall from it. It is a possibility.

If you feel apprehensive about a game and feel what it is showing isn’t interesting you, you may not enjoy what it’s offering. Lol it really isn’t something to get in your emotions about.
Being told I’m in my emotions because I’m elaborating on my stance is also condescending, just fyi

Odyssey trailer is a great comparison, just goes to show how poor the marketing for this game is. Like, I call it Breath of the Wild 2 out of habit, but honestly, it's BotW2 in a way MM isn't OoT2.
Ngl MM isn’t OOt2 for me… That’s TP

The thing is for me, BotW was exciting because it had mystique behind it. BotW2 meanwhile I suspect it's BotW again, but I'm looking for more than BotW2, and they haven't shown me TotK yet.
We know Link has a fucked up arm, that's more mysterious than anything in BotW

Being told I’m in my emotions because I’m elaborating on my stance is also condescending, just fyi
Yeah, so would telling someone to “knock it off” when they are expressing an honest possibility.

So 👍🏽

That is an assumption I’m willing to let you have but I thoroughly doubt it. Part of the issue with making such a claim is the knowledge of BotW. Without BotW this would all be 100% new to all, and I can’t say your current reaction would be the same. Or the very present reaction of “That doesn’t look new/different enough from BotW to garner new interest” which wouldn’t be an issue.

People seem to be at odds with what’s expected from a direct sequel and a rampantly abundant pessimism. One that insinuates 6 years will amount to little “new” in the hands of one of Nintendo’s best studios. I’d rather like to think they know more about game development than I do and afford them “trust”.

No, I am fairly confident it would be the same. I'd like to think I know myself more than someone else. When BOTW was new, the the trailers did nothing for me. It was the reviews that made me buy the game. If I didn't see the reviews, I would not have gotten BOTW. In fact, I fully intended to wait until Summer when Splatoon 2 was released before buying a Switch. It was BOTW reviews that changed my mind. Likewise, the sequel trailers aren't doing anything for me at all. Prior knowledge of a past game has no impact on my enjoyment of a sequel's trailers. And nowhere did I state in a post that trailers needed to show that sequel was more different than BOTW.

I have no pessimism towards the game, my post is making a simple statement of fact; the trailers have done nothing for me for far. As such, I can only rely on my enjoyment of the prior game as a basis for buying the sequel.

They know that though. That's why the marketing is like this, because they know everyone even remotely interested either has played BOTW or knows a lot about BOTW.

Probaly. I am not really asking Nintendo to change their marketing. I am just stating the impact the trailers have had on me personally so far.

Nah I'm more hyped than ever, though granted I still think it was a fairly poor trailer. The info the trailer gives us though is pretty exciting

I think people are pretty vastly underestimating what the new vehicle/weapon crafting brings to the table. Same with the potential of sky islands. It's honestly kinda annoying me at this point that people kinda just dismiss what this game is actually doing new in favor of asking it to just do old stuff instead

Nah I'm more hyped than ever, though granted I still think it was a fairly poor trailer. The info the trailer gives us though is pretty exciting

I think people are pretty vastly underestimating what the new vehicle/weapon crafting brings to the table. Same with the potential of sky islands. It's honestly kinda annoying me at this point that people kinda just dismiss what this game is actually doing new in favor of asking it to just do old stuff instead
I'm not underestimating it, I'm estimating that I haven't seen what they are bringing to the table

Definitely not alone. It’s a weird mess of a trailer, throwing clips together with little cohesion. Showing me I can build a car to get around doesn’t actually excite me, and it doesn’t really align with anything I enjoyed from the first game. I enjoyed my slow trek through new locations on foot.

I trust it’ll be amazing in the end, but this trailer was funk.

No, I am fairly confident it would be the same. I'd like to think I know myself more than someone else. When BOTW was new, the the trailers did nothing for me. It was the reviews that made me buy the game. If I didn't see the reviews, I would not have gotten BOTW. In fact, I fully intended to wait until Summer when Splatoon 2 was released before buying a Switch. It was BOTW reviews that changed my mind. Likewise, the sequel trailers aren't doing anything for me at all. Prior knowledge of a past game has no impact on my enjoyment of a sequel's trailers. And nowhere did I state in a post that trailers needed to show that sequel was more different than BOTW.

I have no pessimism towards the game, my post is making a simple statement of fact; the trailers have done nothing for me for far. As such, I can only rely on my enjoyment of the prior game as a basis for buying the sequel.

Probaly. I am not really asking Nintendo to change their marketing. I am just stating the impact the trailers have had on me personally so far.
The bolded portions almost literally contradict each other.

Given the game is the game regardless of when reviews convinced you, would a little optimism be unwarranted? The game is amazing and was so before somebody convinced you it was.

Ultimately, whether the trailer convinced you or not, the game impressed you. As such, do you feel had Botw interested you from trailer 1 you’d feel differently now? I’m a bit lost at your point (you could wait for reviews if anxious) Botw trailers did nothing but I’m sure you now realize the folly in 100% relying on trailers. By your own admittance you wouldn’t have played Botw given its trailers, so what are you really saying here?

Botw plays a HUGE part in how you’re perceiving this game for better or worse.

I think a lot of that depends on what you liked about BOTW. For me, the sandbox/physics fun/“look at this cool thing I can do” aspect was fine, but not a big draw, it’s just the icing on the cake. I care about the actual cake. Vehicles and crafting or something is pretty whatever to me, because honestly, I don’t like sandbox or survival games. I want to know about the plot, the puzzles, the dungeons, the magic/mechanical abilities; that side of things.

Don’t get me wrong I am hyped to hell about this game and am completely sold already, I’m willing to be patient and see what it has to offer! But there’s definitely a lingering voice of doubt in the back of my mind that’s like “what if TOTK is like BOTW but even MORE open and even MORE sandbox-y!” and that is very much not what I want.

I think a lot of that depends on what you liked about BOTW. For me, the sandbox/physics fun/“look at this cool thing I can do” aspect was fine, but not a big draw, it’s just the icing on the cake. I care about the actual cake. Vehicles and crafting or something is pretty whatever to me, because honestly, I don’t like sandbox or survival games. I want to know about the plot, the puzzles, the dungeons, the magic/mechanical abilities; that side of things.

Don’t get me wrong I am hyped to hell about this game and am completely sold already, I’m willing to be patient and see what it has to offer! But there’s definitely a lingering voice of doubt in the back of my mind that’s like “what if TOTK is like BOTW but even MORE open and even MORE sandbox-y!” and that is very much not what I want.
You’re absolutely right. Whereas I have over 500 hours in Botw and still play it regularly. I know many who don’t garner the same enjoyment. The apprehension of yours is salient, as they may well add more of what you disliked. But for a lot (including myself) that’s exactly what a direct sequel was to entail. “Botw but MOAR!”

This is pretty much exactly where I am. I don't care about vehicle building or physics. I want to know literally anything you've outlined rather than that. If the vehicle building part is a huge component and mandatory that could be an issue for me.

Honestly the fact that this is the same team is not a guarantee for quality. Banjo-Kazooie is literally one of my favorite all time games, top 5 easily, I replay it regularly and still think it's an amazing game and the best 3D platformer I've ever played. The same team that made that game made Banjo-Tooie. And Tooie suffered from a lot of these theoretical issues; it's the same game but bigger, and it didn't focus on or refine the core elements that made BK such a masterpiece.

BOTW was a great game, but I'm annoyed that I'm still in the dark about what this is and continuously told to just trust the dev team.

The marketing so far for Tears of the Kingdom has been disjointed, maybe purposefully so, but I think a lot of people were hoping for a trailer as expertly crafted as the one for Breath of the Wild.

Last edited:
To be clear, a lot of my grumbling is really just me being impatient :p. I fully believe in this game and that it’ll have a lot of the things I’m really wanting (and lots I don’t know I want), and that it’s going to be fantastic when we get that 2017 trailer moment, but I admit I fell victim to thinking this Direct was going to be that, and it wasn’t for me. Just have to go back to waiting, but we don’t have long now!

The bolded portions almost literally contradict each other.

No they don't contradict. The first bolded is stating that you saying that I think ToTK is too similar to BOTW (I don't think it is and never stated this) is causing me to somehow judge the ToTK trailers more negatively is incorrect.

The second bolded is saying the trailer's have done nothing for me and nothing else. That does not mean I view the game negatively.

Botw plays a HUGE part in how you’re perceiving this game for better or worse.

Correct. As stated twice before, because I played BOTW, I am assuming that the game will be good despite the trailers having no impact on me.

Ultimately, whether the trailer convinced you or not, the game impressed you. As such, do you feel had Botw interested you from trailer 1 you’d feel differently now? I’m a bit lost at your point (you could wait for reviews if anxious) Botw trailers did nothing but I’m sure you now realize the folly in 100% relying on trailers. By your own admittance you wouldn’t have played Botw given its trailers, so what are you really saying here?

...I don't rely purely on trailers and never have...as alluded to me taking the time to look at the BOTW reviews. I am just going to assume we are on two different wavelengths here and move on.

As someone who has a natural dislike for item crafting and vehicle building in games, they're gonna have to work hard to get me excited for this aspect lol

That's the thing, we have no idea how these factor into the core gameplay loop. Maybe you should be more annoyed at Nintendo for poorly marketing this game.

I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding

I don't really care about the sandbox/physics stuff either, honestly. I wasn't the type to build weird contraptions in BoTW. I also don't like survival or sandbox games either.

That's not why I'm excited about vehicles, crafting, or sky islands. I'm interested in what they imply - which is challenges built around the idea of building anything you want from the materials around you, and exploration on an entirely different axis than most games in the genre. Plus, the idea of adding vehicle parts to the "reward pool" of BoTW is pretty exciting to me, and the idea of crafting things from discrete parts instead of a menu list is pretty interesting as well.

Basically, I'm not excited because of how ToTK resembles other games I like. I'm excited because it feels like it's taking mechanics from stuff I don't necessarily like and contextualizing them in a way that makes it feel like I could like them. All in a way that feeds back to the main reason I liked BoTW, which is the freedom and compelling nature of the exploration, partly informed by how fun it was to move about the world and how there was something meaningful around every corner. This just expands on that while offering a fresh take on concepts that are honestly otherwise a bit tired.

Yeah this does require a bit of faith that the Zelda team is building things around these concepts, but, c'mon. It's the Zelda team. I'm not worried. And I'm also not worried that they'll fill the world with interesting objectives, puzzles, and things to do either. But I'm a big fan of games that do something new, more so than games that just improve upon existing concepts and ideas, and these trailers have done a fair job of convincing me that ToTK's loop will be something pretty unique.

As someone who has a natural dislike for item crafting and vehicle building in games, they're gonna have to work hard to get me excited for this aspect lol

That's the thing, we have no idea how these factor into the core gameplay loop. Maybe you should be more annoyed at Nintendo for poorly marketing this game.
Yeah I'll readily admit I'm more optimistic than most when it comes to these sorts of things. And yeah, the marketing for the game ain't great at all, and it's totally valid to be upset at Nintendo for that

I think the marketing has been very poor. I think they have probably made many gameplay innovations to justify the six year gap between games, but they should really emphasize that in the next presentation. Im fine, if not a little disappointed that much of the world seems to be the exact same, but hopefully they give is a meaningful presentation soon and show us whats new in this game that we should be excited for.

Edit: i also feel like both sides of this debate are getting a little snippy. Its okay to feel Disappointed and its also okay not to feel Disappointed : )

Last edited:
No they don't contradict. The first bolded is stating that you saying that I think ToTK is too similar to BOTW (I don't think it is and never stated this) is causing me to somehow judge the ToTK trailers more negatively is incorrect.

The second bolded is saying the trailer's have done nothing for me and nothing else. That does not mean I view the game negatively.

Correct. As stated twice before, because I played BOTW, I am assuming that the game will be good despite the trailers having no impact on me.

...I don't rely purely on trailers and never have...as alluded to me taking the time to look at the BOTW reviews. I am just going to assume we are on two different wavelengths here and move on.
I didn’t state you felt anything, I spoke of the general sentiment here. So the bolded wasn’t necessary. But either way that’s the intent of Nintendo hence the reason it being a DIRECT sequel. Lol

😂 have a good one!

The trailers themselves have been meh but the most recent one showed more interesting mechanics in 2 minutes than whole entire games have so

I’m more pleased with what I saw in this trailer than before, but I do understand this position. Marketing has been terrible. However, with how Nintendo is teasing the new sheikah slate that Zelda is holding, they’re clearly holding back a lot. I just don’t know what they’re waiting for.

I kinda feel the exact opposite, the amount and variety of new mechanics, enemies, locations, even concepts that they've shown feels like it would be better off in more trailers each more focused on that particular aspect.
I actually agree on this point. I was referring more to the actual footage we've seen rather than the concepts themselves, which you touched on: my issue isn't so much the what we've seen, it's the context. I'm sure a lot of the mechanics will be a ton of fun in practice, but at the moment I don't have any reason to care about them, because I have no idea how they'll contribute to the game as a whole.

Individualized trailers going through each and every mechanic would probably be overkill, but these trailers certainly could've been structured to give each piece more meaning. Instead, they're just haphazardly chucked into a trailer, along with splices of Link jumping off a cliff and the same cave exploration cutscene with Zelda that we've seen countless times by now.

If they aren't going to contextualize all of these mechanics, then they could have easily trimmed the fat off of the previous three trailers and put it all out as one individual trailer. Like, imagine if the marketing cycle had been the following instead:
  • No reveal at E3 2019
  • E3 2019 Trailer is instead shown at E3 2021
  • All three trailers are condensed and combined into one, shown in the 9/22 direct
  • Big cohesive trailer in the 2/23 direct
In my opinion, that would've been a much stronger marketing cycle for the game. Stretching it out like they have is overkill.

I’m glad other people feel this way. I’ve been feeling this way for a while. I’m still gonna get the game, but the fact it’s been six years since BOTW and none of the marketing has done anything to get me really excited hasn’t been helping my enthusiasm much. I think these trailers really haven’t been great at showcasing interesting things. The implication that you can make your own vehicles and traverse Hyrule akin to Nuts and Bolts?? That’s amazing!!! Why was it barely focused on in the trailer? Finding that part out has been the first time this game has genuinely excited me with what potential it can have. And that was only like 5 seconds out of a two minute trailer. I just want marketing for this game to ramp up. The bare minimum they’ve been showing on how this is different from the first game + the six year long wait for an asset reusing sequel + a $70 price tag has NOT been a good look. I remain hopeful though, I just need to see more of the game. Hopefully they start well, actually showing it.

Related to these two points, while I have no problems with the marketing of TotK so far, I hope Nintendo stops doing these title and trailer reveals for games that are at least a year out. Would much prefer their usual approach of short reveal to release times.
I'm so relieved that Pikmin turned out to be closer to the latter

I will agree that the trailer didn't inspire hype but I'm not worried at all.

It's going to be what Majora's Mask is to BOTW and I'm fairly certain it will be a masterpiece.

I have a feeling they're going to up the level of sandbox gameplay elements through the roof and overall really shore up on a lot of BOTW's weaknesses. People will be singing a different tune in the not so distant future. I believe in the Zelda team and the foundation they have to work on with BOTW is just too strong for this not to be an all time great.

Nintendo is only showing us the smallest view of what we're in store for.

tipoftheiceberg-700x324.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom