• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Luigi's Mansion 2 HD — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: "A rude awakening" trailer, see threadmarks)

Looks like this is more of a remaster than a remake. The models and geometric fidelity is higher than the original, and of course the texture work has been improved, but the lighting and everything else looks very similar to the original. Seems like it's a "super" remaster or something.

LM2HD is basically the same as Luigui's Mansion: Dark Moon right?

I played that one on 3DS. I loved other LM games, but I wasn't a fan of that one, don't recall why exactly.
Yeah. Dark Moon was the US name of the game, while it was Luigi's Mansion 2 in other regions. They just named it Luigi's Mansion 2 everywhere this time around.

Compared to Nintendo standards, they revealed this game really early. A full year before releasing wow!
It didn't used to be too unusual. LM3 was announced a year before release. Pikmin 4 comes to mind. It's interesting how Nintendo has moved to shorter and shorter release cycles

Looks like this is more of a remaster than a remake. The models and geometric fidelity is higher than the original, and of course the texture work has been improved, but the lighting and everything else looks very similar to the original. Seems like it's a "super" remaster or something.
Is there a new trailer since the September direct?

Whether or not this is a remaster or a remake depends on whether it's based on the original game code or not. If it's built from the ground up it's a remake no matter how faithful to the original it is.

English box art revealed for Luigi's Mansion 2 HD:

tbh it looks kind of awkward in the Switch boxart aspect ratio, the logo's too far down

tbh it looks kind of awkward in the Switch boxart aspect ratio, the logo's too far down
strongly disagree, having more logos at the bottom on english boxes has been a very visually appealing trend

d5174feb9c3fe26a7c98496d574146069d94e34a.jpg

s-l1200.webp

If they had 2 ghosts on that balcony doing something it would be good. The Boo on its own looks weird here

I've played this game so many times on 3DS I don't really see a reason to double dip, and the visual upgrade here doesn't make up for the lack of 3D on Switch. It's a top 3 3DS game for me though, along with Kid Icarus and A Link Between Worlds.

This should have been a LM 1&2 HD double pack.

It’s £49.99 on the eshop here in the UK. It was £39.99 when it came out on 3DS over a decade ago.

Last edited:
If this is an HD upscaling with some new textures, I wonder how long such development usually takes. I know that grezzo is a name that comes up often because they have already made a port of Luigi’s Mansion and they have already made a port from the 3DS to the switch with miitopia. But I wonder if next level games could not have devoted a few months after the release of Luigi’s Mansion 3 and before the development of the next episode?

If this is an HD upscaling with some new textures, I wonder how long such development usually takes. I know that grezzo is a name that comes up often because they have already made a port of Luigi’s Mansion and they have already made a port from the 3DS to the switch with miitopia. But I wonder if next level games could not have devoted a few months after the release of Luigi’s Mansion 3 and before the development of the next episode?
I think some recent staff activity there pointed to NLG finishing a project in January, which would line up with LM2 HD's release this year. I know Grezzo did Luigi's Mansion on 3DS, but that was an EAD title back on GameCube, and it seems EPD at least partially outsource ports/remasters of past internal games (Grezzo handling various Zelda titles and Miitopia, NST working on things like Captain Toad and 3D World, Tantalus working on Zelda games, iQue and NERD working on 3D All-Stars etc). By way of comparison, there's precedent for Nintendo's subsidiaries to handle re-releases of their own games on Switch - Retro Studios with Metroid Prime and DKC Tropical Freeze; Monolith Soft with Xenoblade Chronicles, NST just last month with Mario vs DK. It wouldn't surprise me if this is a quick NLG project on Switch while their next new game targets the next console for 2025 or 2026.

Last edited:
Same game as far as we know so far, yeah. Even if they add something new it should be the same at the core. It was called Luigi's Mansion 2 in some markets at release.

I never finished the 3DS version, so I may fire that up again. I recall the 3D effect being pretty good.

I never finished the 3DS version, so I may fire that up again. I recall the 3D effect being pretty good.
One of the few games I used 3D on, since it sometimes used to give me headaches. The 3D effect was incredibly cool in this game, and in Link Between Worlds, Dream Team and 3DL.

Damn this is actually the time I agree with people about it being over priced. The sad thing is I want some 3ds ports like kid Icarus, Samus returns, link between worlds.

But this game was ok but I preferred 1, here’s hoping they bring 1 with a reduced cost to 2 if get them as a double pack.

Damn this is actually the time I agree with people about it being over priced. The sad thing is I want some 3ds ports like kid Icarus, Samus returns, link between worlds.

But this game was ok but I preferred 1, here’s hoping they bring 1 with a reduced cost to 2 if get them as a double pack.
Yeah, been starting to feel that way a bit. The honest truth with nintendo is that your paying for the brand in some ways. Like not to dump on it, because I do like it, but there are indie puzzle games out there with better visuals and more levels than Mario vs donkey Kong that cost way less than 50 dollars. Thats not to say Nintendo should devalue their brands at all, it’s just what it is. And with inflation, I think $50 is the new $40 if that makes sense. Life if captain toad switch came out this year it would be 50 instead of 40.

Agree that $50 (USD) is the new $40. I think 50 would have made sense for Luigi's Mansion 2 HD. 60 feels very aggressive.

I think some recent staff activity there pointed to NLG finishing a project in January, which would line up with LM2 HD's release this year. I know Grezzo did Luigi's Mansion on 3DS, but that was an EAD title back on GameCube, and it seems EPD at least partially outsource ports/remasters of past internal games (Grezzo handling various Zelda titles and Miitopia, NST working on things like Captain Toad and 3D World, Tantalus working on Zelda games, iQue and NERD working on 3D All-Stars etc). By way of comparison, there's precedent for Nintendo's subsidiaries to handle re-releases of their own games on Switch - Retro Studios with Metroid Prime and DKC Tropical Freeze; Monolith Soft with Xenoblade Chronicles, NST just last month with Mario vs DK. It wouldn't surprise me if this is a quick NLG project on Switch while their next new game targets the next console for 2025 or 2026.
Yeah, I think so, too. And I’m not just saying that because I absolutely want Grezzo to be currently developing a 2D Zelda.

The only recent exception I see is DKCR 3DS which was not managed by Retro, if I’m not mistaken.

Overpriced game.
Unfortunately, the good sales of many Wii U ports or some HD remasters like Skyward Sword will not encourage Nintendo to change practices.

That said, I take every day, and jumping for joy for an hour, future announcements of completely basic ports of Samus Returns, Super Mario 3D Land, Todomachi Life or Ever Oasis, even at 60 dollars.

The only recent exception I see is DKCR 3DS which was not managed by Retro, if I’m not mistaken.
DKCR was ported by Monster Games while they were also assisting Retro with Tropical Freeze for Wii U. So it wasn't a direct effort by Retro, but there was some sort of collaboration in place :)

DKCR was ported by Monster Games while they were also assisting Retro with Tropical Freeze for Wii U. So it wasn't a direct effort by Retro, but there was some sort of collaboration in place :)
That’s what I thought, thank you for the clarification.

Guys, this is a $35 game

Just get japanese vouchers
You can take Japanese vouchers? Just change the location of your account, is that right? It’s super interesting if that’s the case.

You can take Japanese vouchers? Just change the location of your account, is that right? It’s super interesting if that’s the case.
Its a little more complicated than that. You have to go to Amazon Japan and buy two 5000 Yen eShop codes. Then you change your region and redeem your codes within the eShop, and buy the vouchers with the store credit. You can't do it directly because the Japanese eShop doesn't accept foreign cards.

If Amazon Japan has the game digitally for cheaper you can also just buy it directly from there.

How do the puzzles in 2 compare to 3? Sometimes 3 has really annoying puzzles which aren’t intuitive
I never finished 3 but I loved 2's puzzles but I don't think they're any more intuitive..but I did enjoy 2's more than what I played of 3's

How do the puzzles in 2 compare to 3? Sometimes 3 has really annoying puzzles which aren’t intuitive

They worked out pretty well in 2. That game was made with the true handheld in mind so mansions and the puzzles per room and floors were a bit more straightforward overall.

I kinda hope a new Scarescraper community is born from this release because I like it in 2 way more than in 3.

I already own this game and beat it on 3DS so I won't be getting the remaster. Good game but I'd rather replay the third game tbh.

They worked out pretty well in 2. That game was made with the true handheld in mind so mansions and the puzzles per room and floors were a bit more straightforward overall.

I kinda hope a new Scarescraper community is born from this release because I like it in 2 way more than in 3.

I wish I knew what the designers were thinking designing Scarescraper in 3, there's so many obtuse and confusing things about it and I haven't seen any pro tips discussion or anything online. Like why are the gold floors so much tougher than others? Why is getting time clock items on rush floors so much less predictable than 2? Why are there all these balcony rooms that almost always have zero utility? Why are there no difficulty options? It sucks because it's so cool you can even play it with 8 players and they even added DLC but it's overall so much worse. Wish someone made a guide so I could at least get through the tougher parts with people better.

Sixty is a lot for this, I will prob just stick with the 3DS version until its price decreases on the used market.

One of the reasons I love this series is that each entry has a very strong identity and context attached to it. They're similar games, obviously, but they're also fundamentally different, and I love that. I read a lot that people like 2 less. It's different. And that's why I think it's excellent. NLG has really infused it with something special, something that doesn't resemble either the great atmosphere of the first episode or their excellent work on LM3.

Selling a basic hd-remaster of an 11 year old handheld game for full price is kinda insane.
but I guess Luigi's Mansion 3 selling 12m copies got Ninty feeling bold

I guess it's too late to hope they'll add a cooperative mode like they did in MvsDK, right?

Already played on 3DS but my wife loved playing LM3 in coop.

It's not impossible; they added co-op to the 3DS version of Luigi's mansion 1, but it does feel like they're cutting it a bit close to announcing it to release for it to be likely any more.

It's not impossible; they added co-op to the 3DS version of Luigi's mansion 1, but it does feel like they're cutting it a bit close to announcing it to release for it to be likely any more.
Wow, didn’t remember they added multiplayer on 3DS port. Maybe there’s still a chance 🤞🏻

Wow, it looks good! Maybe it's just my phone screen but it looks better to me than at its initial reveal.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom