• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Luigi's Mansion 2 HD — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: "A rude awakening" trailer, see threadmarks)

I got kinda far into Dark Moon on 3DS but then ended up dropping it. Really wasn't a fan of the mission-based structure they went with, even if it did make sense for a portable system. I'd much rather have the LM1 3DS port instead

Seeing the GC drops I don't discard them dropping LM1 when they announce LM2 launch date. They seem to like the idea of having most of the games of a franchise on switch.

How odd that they're only bringing 2 to the Switch and not making it a combo pack with the original. The work of porting it to the engine of 2 is already done with the 3DS port, so you'd think porting both into the newest engine would be a given. But time will tell I guess, the port looks pretty rough for the moment.
I won't be surprised if they end up releasing 1 before 2 kinda like how they released Pikmin 1+2 before 4.

Nintendo probably see 3DS games at a more premium then Gamecube games, probably because the 3DS games where tecnically the gen before the Switch

Oh I dont know they will sell Ocarina, Majora,Samus Returns and 3D Land Full price

It would not surprise me of LM1 get a Prime remastered treatment for an empty slot

I hope they do the glow in the dark cover for the physical version of this! Still got my 3DS copy with that cover haha

The most important question to me is: will they somehow tone down the handholding / frequent e gadd calls in this one?

While I enjoyed Dark Moon a lot, I thought that was very immersion breaking. :/

If Next Level turn out to be the Mystery Peach Game developers then this remaster/port might exist to create a stop gap on the way to Luigi's Mansion 4. Can't believe it'll be four years this year since 3 came out.

Nintendo really should tell us who makes their damn games...

Really, really hoping that once they re-reveal the game it will look better. It doesn't have to be MP Remastered tier but at least on a XC.DE level where the difference is immediately apparent. So far I can see that they've put some work in, though the current build still looks rather dated.

Can't say I'm a fan of Nintendo doing barely touched up, emulated versions of their legacy titles when they could be so much more. Hopefully if the plan for MP 2 and 3 was "just" HD versions they reevaluate the projects and give'em a similar amount of love to what Retro gave the first game. Same goes for whatever GC/3DS/Wii(?) titles they might be working on.

Nintendo really should tell us who makes their damn games...
Yeah, it really wouldn't hurt. If Next Level were announced to be on it I'd be more bullish on a visual glow-up. Maybe even Grezzo.

I bought Dark Moon when it released because I wanted to take advantage of the deal they had where you'd get a free game with it. I played for a bit and got really bored after the first level, and never touched it again until the Halloween celebration on Fami a couple years ago. I restarted the game, and this time it clicked better and I was able to finish it and enjoy it, although I still think pacing and repetitiveness is a problem. It's a good game with the heart in the right place, but Im not particularly interested in ever playing it again.

It was my only LM experience so far, I got 3 on the Switch but still haven't played it. I wish they were porting 1 instead of 2, as I'd like to try the first one as well. As a standalone port, 2 is an easy pass for me.

Really, really hoping that once they re-reveal the game it will look better. It doesn't have to be MP Remastered tier but at least on a XC.DE level where the difference is immediately apparent. So far I can see that they've put some work in, though the current build still looks rather dated.

Can't say I'm a fan of Nintendo doing barely touched up, emulated versions of their legacy titles when they could be so much more. Hopefully if the plan for MP 2 and 3 was "just" HD versions they reevaluate the projects and give'em a similar amount of love to what Retro gave the first game. Same goes for whatever GC/3DS/Wii(?) titles they might be working on.
If you look at the graphics comparison video of gamexplain you will see that it is more than an upres. Multiple models and textures have been updated. This is nothing like the pikmin 1/2 hd versions. Edit: welp i cant read you already said that.

Now there still needs to be done some things, like contact shadows on luigi, but it certainly reminds me of how Luigis mansion 3 looked during it's first trailer

Only speculation, but to me it's clear that NLG is doing this and that by release this will look as good or even better than 3. Not a straight port, so that's why we're not getting 1 as well

Yeah, I'd hope this comes a long way in the 6 to 12 months or so before it releases. People were critical of Luigi's Mansion 3 trailer and it came out one of the best looking games of the system.

Sure, maybe this doesn't go quite that far, but if they get close it'll look great.

If you look at the graphics comparison video of gamexplain you will see that it is more than an upres. Multiple models and textures have been updated. This is nothing like the pikmin 1/2 hd versions. Edit: welp i cant read you already said that.

Now there still needs to be done some things, like contact shadows on luigi, but it certainly reminds me of how Luigis mansion 3 looked during it's first trailer

Ahah yep that's what I meant. I know LM3 saw big visual improvements from reveal to release, but in the here and now I can't go "well no doubt it will look much better once it's out", otherwise I might just be setting myself up for disappointment.

Though yes, fingers crossed we get something that gets closer to 3 than it currently is. Their way of presenting the game downright stating "graphically enhanced", which I'm relatively confident they didn't say for Pikmin, has me cautiously hopeful.

That said people seem to think this is the weakest entry in the series? So maybe I'm better off not checking it out altogether ahah

That said people seem to think this is the weakest entry in the series? So maybe I'm better off not checking it out altogether ahah

Nah, it's a much better game than 1, which was barely above being a tech demo, it's just not got a huge nostalgia boost holding it up.

It's basically just much worse than 3 in every possible way. Luigi's moveset in particular was massively expanded and refined from what it was here in 3, and the environments became immensely more detailed and full of interactions after the second game was in hindsight so severely hindered by the 3DS hardware (which makes this port very weird to me). The worst thing about it is the mission structure, which makes exploring a slog since they arbitrarily change each accessible room ever so slightly in each mission, so you end up going over the entire level again and again checking the same spots for treasure. Even if you don't care for that and just want to beeline it, it's got an annoying stop and start structure with a lot of backtracking and busywork to stretch each level out over all these different missions. Collect the stolen gears to open a door or whatever, that sort of video game padding. It was also criticized for losing a lot of personality by dropping all the unique ghosts, which is especially felt in the boss fights which now pit you against such foes as "giant spider", "a bunch of regular ghosts", and "staircase" (I promise, the reality of that one is somehow much less cool than whatever you're imagining).

The first game is completely different from the others in its focus. It has the simplest gameplay, so the combat is mostly based on puzzles instead, with figuring out how to expose each ghost's heart so you can stun them and suck them up being the meat of the game (this aspect is not really a thing in the sequels). It's also got a notably darker and more grounded atmosphere that's more Haunted Mansion or "family friendly Resident Evil parody" than the outright cartoon hijinks of the sequels. It takes place in one contiguous mansion that has a lot more context to its rooms due to giving them bespoke inhabitants, and isn't divided into themed environments, with more expectation of traveling between newer and older areas to progress.

The addition of some Scooby-Doo shenanigans with flipping haunted house walls and slapstick comedy can't really make up for 2 gutting the atmosphere and characters that made Luigi's Mansion memorable in the first place. 3 managed to refine its new direction and make it work, in fact it's easily the best of the lot, but the first game is still very unique and has its fans for a reason. It just leaves 2 in an odd place, because it was so thoroughly outclassed by 3, and was pretty bland and forgettable to begin with. It's a very similar situation to Samus Returns and Dread, where a mediocre 3DS revival of a beloved Nintendo series outsourced to a western developer got an unexpectedly great Switch sequel that addressed pretty much every major problem with the previous game and left it completely in the dust. When I revisited 2 after loving 3, the only solitary positive I came away with was preferring the mechanics of 2's vertical plant area to 3's vertical plant area.

It's basically just much worse than 3 in every possible way. Luigi's moveset in particular was massively expanded and refined from what it was here in 3, and the environments became immensely more detailed and full of interactions after the second game was in hindsight so severely hindered by the 3DS hardware (which makes this port very weird to me). The worst thing about it is the mission structure, which makes exploring a slog since they arbitrarily change each accessible room ever so slightly in each mission, so you end up going over the entire level again and again checking the same spots for treasure. Even if you don't care for that and just want to beeline it, it's got an annoying stop and start structure with a lot of backtracking and busywork to stretch each level out over all these different missions. Collect the stolen gears to open a door or whatever, that sort of video game padding. It was also criticized for losing a lot of personality by dropping all the unique ghosts, which is especially felt in the boss fights which now pit you against such foes as "giant spider", "a bunch of regular ghosts", and "staircase" (I promise, the reality of that one is somehow much less cool than whatever you're imagining).

The first game is completely different from the others in its focus. It has the simplest gameplay, so the combat is mostly based on puzzles instead, with figuring out how to expose each ghost's heart so you can stun them and suck them up being the meat of the game (this aspect is not really a thing in the sequels). It's also got a notably darker and more grounded atmosphere that's more Haunted Mansion or "family friendly Resident Evil parody" than the outright cartoon hijinks of the sequels. It takes place in one contiguous mansion that has a lot more context to its rooms due to giving them bespoke inhabitants, and isn't divided into themed environments, with more expectation of traveling between newer and older areas to progress.

The addition of some Scooby-Doo shenanigans with flipping haunted house walls and slapstick comedy can't really make up for 2 gutting the atmosphere and characters that made Luigi's Mansion memorable in the first place. 3 managed to refine its new direction and make it work, in fact it's easily the best of the lot, but the first game is still very unique and has its fans for a reason. It just leaves 2 in an odd place, because it was so thoroughly outclassed by 3, and was pretty bland and forgettable to begin with. It's a very similar situation to Samus Returns and Dread, where a mediocre 3DS revival of a beloved Nintendo series outsourced to a western developer got an unexpectedly great Switch sequel that addressed pretty much every major problem with the previous game and left it completely in the dust. When I revisited 2 after loving 3, the only solitary positive I came away with was preferring the mechanics of 2's vertical plant area to 3's vertical plant area.
Nice analysis of 2. I agree with pretty much everything and do agree that it is the weakest of the bunch. I prefer LM 1’s short length as well, because it lends itself well to replays and trying to improve your score.

I also hope they fix that annoying ice boss, I remember it being such a pain to beat.

Releases like this remind me how tight Nintendo are tbh.

Should really have been a remaster of 1 & 2 with the whole trilogy then being available of Switch.

I really hope when 1 comes, which will be sooner than later I assume, that it's not a remaster of the 3DS version. I'd be perfectly happy with a widescreen Hagi port.

I hope Nintendo won't feel the need to do "LM1 3DS HD" for parity when 2 is receiving that treatment right before it. I prefer the look of the GC version.

I really hope when 1 comes, which will be sooner than later I assume, that it's not a remaster of the 3DS version. I'd be perfectly happy with a widescreen Hagi port.
I was surprised to not see it today. If they wanted to drop another HD GameCube eShop game at a Direct, this was probably the last chance before Halloween. But summer was further out than I was thinking for LM2, too, so maybe now was too soon.

I was surprised to not see it today. If they wanted to drop another HD GameCube eShop game at a Direct, this was probably the last chance before Halloween. But summer was further out than I was thinking for LM2, too, so maybe now was too soon.
Yeah, with the summer date I think there's a chance for the next Direct still. Or they're not planning to drop the whole series at once like with Pikmin.

I guess there's a nonzero chance it's getting a ground up remake that can be on Switch 1/2 but I doubt it. It is possible though. They'd change something for the worse though - the original's atmosphere is perfect as is. Make the right choice, Nintendo!

This game was announced way too soon. It still doesn’t really look like it’s ready, and it’s at least 9 months out.

I get they want to capitalize on the Mario movie, but this should’ve been kept under wraps until 2024.

This game was announced way too soon. It still doesn’t really look like it’s ready, and it’s at least 9 months out.

I get they want to capitalize on the Mario movie, but this should’ve been kept under wraps until 2024.
No harm in my opinion. It solidified 1’s eventual arrival in my eyes so I’m happy to know about it.

So they didnt Shadowdrop the first game

I'll take the L, I was sure it was sure it was gonna happen.

But it's so weird they're releasing these in literally reverse order.....
I only tried out the OG from rentals on weekends, and then when the remake came out I passed because I didnt feel like it after the Switch was out.

The day I can finally play the first one is when I'll get around to picking up 2 and 3, but it's nice to know they're here I guess.

And who knows, they might still shadowdrop 1 sometime before Summer.

I agree. Maybe my memory doesn't serve me right, but this looks nowhere close to LM3, which is disappointing. 😔 I would love the whole trilogy on one technical level (and with Ray-Tracing on Switch 2 😉)

Edit: it may have been the quality of the stream, I just watched the trailer again and it looks quite decent, still think the texturing could use some work.

Last edited:
Looks pretty great, not as good as 3, but still pretty great. Scarescraper returning is the highlight. One of Nintendo's best online experiences and it finally returns!

I hope so; I still like Luigi's Mansion 1 more than 2 and 3 for the darker and more spooky aesthetic, but I'll happily grab both (especially if there's a chance for LM1 to have the added bonuses from 3DS and Dark Moon's mission mode structure being tweaked to be a little more palatable)
I love 3 the most! I think it may be the contender for most expressive and animated Mario game ever. It may not be as spooky as the first, but I'd argue it's just as if not more charming. Hope we see a fourth one when the Switch 2 rolls around.

Also gimmie LM1 port on Switch Nintendo you shitters- you did that with Pikmin- Give Weegee the same treatment :mad:

I'll be interested in seeing if this game gets a visual boost by release time or not. NLG games have tended to do that, but I guess we don't even know if they are the ones porting it.

I got kinda far into Dark Moon on 3DS but then ended up dropping it. Really wasn't a fan of the mission-based structure they went with, even if it did make sense for a portable system. I'd much rather have the LM1 3DS port instead
arguably it makes less sense. in LM1 you can save whenever you like

I'll be interested in seeing if this game gets a visual boost by release time or not. NLG games have tended to do that, but I guess we don't even know if they are the ones porting it.
The game already looks far better than the first trailer 3 months ago. And it's coming out in no less than 6, they got time. Trust.

I agree. Maybe my memory doesn't serve me right, but this looks nowhere close to LM3, which is disappointing. 😔 I would love the whole trilogy on one technical level (and with Ray-Tracing on Switch 2 😉)

Edit: it may have been the quality of the stream, I just watched the trailer again and it looks quite decent, still think the texturing could use some work.

I'm not sure if we should expect LM3 visuals here, looks like it's LM2 upscaled with some nice extras. The inent might not be to bring it to LM3 standards.

arguably it makes less sense. in LM1 you can save whenever you like
Not quite - you need to find Toads to save, capture a Boo, or go back to the Lab. There's a pretty long stretch of 1 (long compared to the overall run time) where the lights go out, boos don't come out, and the toads are gone. You can't save easily then.

Hard for me to be excited about this tbh. Just a bit of a whiff for me. Better 3DS games to start with if they’re doing remasters for those now, and better Luigi’s Mansion games to remaster lol.

Not quite - you need to find Toads to save, capture a Boo, or go back to the Lab. There's a pretty long stretch of 1 (long compared to the overall run time) where the lights go out, boos don't come out, and the toads are gone. You can't save easily then.
True but that's one small stretch vs the entire game for 2. I'm replaying these games now, it was easy to play 1 in bite sized chunks before finding a toad or a boo, but in 2 I had to leave my 3ds in standby and it almost died because the missions are long.

Keep in mind every section you'd want to save after in LM1 has a boo as well.

Interesting that this seems to be retitled “2” in North America now.

Second implementation of brand consistency this year after retitling Pikmin to Pikmin 1.
I'm so glad NA renamed it to 2, it was still Dark Moon as recently as June when they announced it. The series being 1/Dark Moon/3 bugged me lol

Interesting that this seems to be retitled “2” in North America now.

Second implementation of brand consistency this year after retitling Pikmin to Pikmin 1.
They also ditched Super Mario RPG's western subtitle. However, Paper Mario is keeping its western name.

i like them dropping the dark moon subtitle. when 3 didn't have a subtitle and 2 only had it in one region, it's better to just keep it simple with numbers.

I'm lowkey looking forward to this. I don't have my 3DS game anymore and I liked the multiplayer here compared to 3.

They also ditched Super Mario RPG's western subtitle. However, Paper Mario is keeping its western name.
Paper Mario make sense since the first game in Japan was simply titled "Mario Story" and for TTYD, they went with "Paper Mario RPG".

I want LM1 personally. This is cool. If the graphics end up looking like LM3 I would purchase off of that alone.

Back
Top Bottom