• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Lifetime Sales for The Legend of Zelda Franchise Cross 150 Million, 50 Million+ From Last Two Games Alone

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him
pY5EOUx.png

• More than 1/3rd of that total comes from the last two releases.
  • Spin offs like Hyrule Warriors/Age of Calamity/Tingle are apparently not being counted, but I think counting those brings the total up above 155 million
  • This data was compiled by @Luminoth9090 using CESA 2023 and CESA 2022 numbers

Last edited:
Age of calamity alone is over 4m shortly after launch, so it definitely does.
Yeah and I know the Wii U and Switch versions of Hyrule Warriors each crossed a million as well

I think SS HD is over 4 million now
These numbers are updated from the last CESA white book, so whatever numbers are in this report are the latest officially reported numbers we have

Yeah and I know the Wii U and Switch versions of Hyrule Warriors each crossed a million as well

These numbers are updated from the last CESA white book, so whatever numbers are in this report are the latest officially reported numbers we have

The other thread has SS and LA switch at slightly higher numbers than the chart in the OP.

The other thread has SS and LA switch at slightly higher numbers than the chart in the OP.

Thanks, so it’s actually definitely above 155 million and probably closer to 160 million

I wish this chart would separate the SKUs for TP and BOTW, even the asterisks doesn't really cut it for me

.......wait, Crossbow Training sold over 5 million???

50 mil in two games is absolutely fucking astounding considering the numbers of the pre-BotW Zelda I spent most of my life familiar with.

But I'm thrilled. I'm all for more Zelda in between the Zeldas that numbers like this prompt.

Skyward Sword is the narrative origin of the series and is also the origin of its commercial breakthrough.
The origin of the commercial breakthrough as in "we can't have the next game perform like this one did, go sound the 'make it open-world' alarm", yeah.

It's that origin in the same way the hookup you were so ashamed of was the origin of recommitting to the gym and starting the diet again, lol.

Wow, Minish Cap didn’t sell that well? Bizarre. Had no idea.

But jeez, Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom blasted open the franchise. What a remarkable change.

I wish this chart would separate the SKUs for TP and BOTW, even the asterisks doesn't really cut it for me

30$/€ and bundled with Zapper. I was this close to buying it too but I played it from a "casual gamer" friend who got it.

The origin of the commercial breakthrough as in "we can't have the next game perform like this one did, go sound the 'make it open-world' alarm", yeah.

It's that origin in the same way the hookup you were so ashamed of was the origin of recommitting to the gym and starting the diet again, lol.
Beautiful.

Link's Awekening is as proof as you can get that Zelda 2D on Switch 2 is nothing but sure to be

• More than 1/3rd of that total comes from the last two releases.
  • Spin offs like Hyrule Warriors/Age of Calamity/Tingle are apparently not being counted, but I think counting those brings the total up above 155 million
  • While all these numbers are accurate, I am not entirely sure of what the source on this specific screenshot/table is, if someone can let me know, I will edit the OP to credit them properly

I compiled the data from Nintendo's official million sellers list for each platform found on InstallBase. I went through each platform's million sellers and that's how i made the list. As others have said yesterday we got new numbers from Cesa 2023 yesterday which updated some Switch and 3DS Zelda games. These are the increases:

Ocarina of Time 3D: 6.40m to 6.44m
Link's Awakening remake: 6.08m to 6.46m
Skyward Sword HD: 3.91m to 4.15m
Majora's Mask 3D: 3.43m to 3.46m

Series total goes from 151.41m to 152.10m with these additions.

Nintendo only shows sales units for games that sell over a million units so the Gamecube's Four Swords Adventures game is missing. The only reason HW Age of Calamity is not on the list is because i didn't include it, if you want me to put spin offs on the list i will. HW AoC last number was 4 million, any other spinoffs that sold a million? HW warriors did on Wii U i think but the definitive edition Switch version didn't hit 1 million.

Because they were dual releases and i want to keep TP at 8.85m and in 3rd place instead of dropping it down to 7.42m/1.43m. Link's Crossbow Training was sold alongside of the Wii Zapper which was basically a lightgun accesory for the Wii which had a lot of lightgun shooters or shooters that implemented motion controls.

Thinking about it, it is weird how Nintendo never re-released Link's Crossbow Training for the Switch with it's motion controls. It was a good little shooter back in the day.

Thinking about it, it is weird how Nintendo never re-released Link's Crossbow Training for the Switch with it's motion controls. It was a good little shooter back in the day.
Yeah I played it right before Tears of the Kingdom and had a fantastic time. For $20 at launch? Hell yeah it's damn good.

Because they were dual releases and i want to keep TP at 8.85m and in 3rd place instead of dropping it down to 7.42m/1.43m. Link's Crossbow Training was sold alongside of the Wii Zapper which was basically a lightgun accesory for the Wii which had a lot of lightgun shooters or shooters that implemented motion controls.
I know that the game was cheaper but it's crazy that more people played Link's Crossbow Training than Skyward Sword.

Now I know why 5M who bought TP didn't buy SS.
I see people who bought like: "What? That's what a mainline Zelda became? Then I won't buy Zelda games anymore."
Of course it's a joke

Back
Top Bottom