• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Kit and Krysta believe that Nintendo is disappointed in TOTK sales

This game is already among the top 50-or-so selling games of all time in just 7 months.

No person with realistic expectations could possibly be disappointed in its sales performance.

The only thing I can see is Nintendo not being too impressed with the drop-off.

Like the 20 mil in less than a year is objectively an incredible feat. But the projected sales momentum is kind of a different matter and maybe Nintendo expected it to show a bit more evergreen.

But that’s something that can be worked on I feel. Advertise it more with Switch 2 if the thing is BC. Bonus points if there’s some sort of enhancement for it.

It’s not going to reach BotW’s ludicrous sales, but I think it was foolish to ever think a second game this late in the lifecycle would match right up with a launch title.

BotW was THE Switch game to get with your new Switch for a long time.

I would never call TotK a failure but it's still not reached Scarlet and Violet's opening quarter shipments. I and seemingly Nintendo expected it to be a little bigger is all.
?????

Pokemon has historically sold circles around Zelda.

Also I haven’t watched, but do they suggest they actually have some inside info on this or is it just an inference based on their prior history with the company?

In 7 months, TotK has already sold more than ANY game on the following platforms:

• PS1
  • PS2
  • PSP
  • PSVita
  • N64
  • Gamecube
  • GBA
  • Wii U
  • Xbox
  • MD/Genesis
  • Saturn
  • Dreamcast

…and many more (per Wikipedia).

Just for some perspective.

Then hate YouTube.
This is the kind of content that YouTube rewards nowadays.
It’s pretty annoying to me that people blame individual creators on the rise of clickbait and not the gargantuan money hungry corporation called Google that is also pushing shorts aka not-Tiktoks another form of taking advantage of small attention spans.
i mean yeah youtube, like 95% of the internet, incentivizes clickbait but if your clickbait needs to be dramatic or negative then your content is not worth it.

BOTW legs are the exception not the rule

But that is the point of comparison after all.
I see why Nintendo could be intrigued on why it didn't repeat BotW sales.

I would say the first one is a better videogame and a more original one. But that's just me.

The thing about discussing legs is, we probably need to let things play out more before we get an accurate picture of how they actually are. TotK has been out for less than a year.

BotW was THE launch game, so as more Switches were sold, more copies of it sold, hence the legs. Meanwhile TotK was front-loaded because there's already a huge audience for open-air Zelda, and in any case, its legs are still strong.I

Why would Nintendo disappoint when it sold this much in 7 months with the price tag of $70? And don't say it was because the leg is lower than BotW's leg when BotW has lower launch number and was build up year after year, after year, after year. It's two different case.

Even if Nintendo disappoint with TotK's leg, it's going to be after a while, not now. You don't measure evergreen title's leg with this huge launch just a few months after, it take years...

OK, quik listen bullets:

• TOTK disappointing legs, based on their xp in NOA seeing company penchant on sales projections, was probably anticipated to have stronger staying power thruout rest of the year; Discuss possible reasons why
  • Mario Wonder is killing it and they expect legs to flex strongly with that one
  • Mario RPG is Win considering similarly late-life release of the original
  • Switch sales numbers (139+ mil units, 1.2+ bil software, etc) are bananas, Yay top selling platform in Jpn all-time, fighting chance to overcome GB, PS2 all-time
  • Furukawa is being cagey because, of course he is; His comments don't discourage notion of new hardware this year. Past precedent of similar scenario back when they worked there

===

I find their content ok, they got their own vibe.
The thumbnails and clickbait titles are often mega :rolleyes: tho, guess Youtube metrics keep saying otherwise

I used to watch them shortly after they left Nintendo, but stuff like this makes me lose interest. I really hope they reconsider this approach.

Also I haven’t watched, but do they suggest they actually have some inside info on this or is it just an inference based on their prior history with the company?
I only watched the first few minutes, but it seems they’re more or less trying to get into Nintendo’s head to guess what it is they’re probably thinking right now. They mention that, maybe because sales were only up a certain percentage after their Holiday quarter, if this was possibly a disappointment internally that it didn’t have more of a boom during their most important time of the year and when sales are the highest for them.

Basically, Kit and Krysta thought it would have performed better during the Holidays, and seeing as it was 18 Million after two months and then two million during the other 5 months, they’re onto up certain percentage of attach rate and such.

And they even mention that comparing to BOTW’s 31 Mill, is a little tough to judge considering the landscape, launch, and the near 7 to 8 years of sales opportunity it has had, they’re just perplexed it didn’t move more units over Q4 and the sales boom (so far) mostly seems front loaded.

Still though, no way in heck is 20 Million disappointing in the slightest, in my mind, at least.

And cringey YouTube thumbnails are the worst, but here we are 3 pages in discussing this topic, so I guess they got us in a way.

Yep. Even when they worked at Nintendo they were basically hosts of a show. But somehow we expect to believe that two ex podcast hosts have insider information about Nintendo's expectations.

Bull.........shit
Kit and Krysta weren't merely the hosts of Nintendo Minute. They were pretty high level members of Nintendo of America's PR team.

Their insight into Nintendo is still coming from a limited and increasingly outdated perspective, but there's no reason to downplay what their actual roles were.

Do we have any reference for what was the cost of making TOTK? If TOTK was much more expensive to make than their other projects nintendo might be disappointed in a "why make more of these when Animal Crossing and Pokemon cost a lot less to make and sell twice as many copies" way.
Even from this perspective it makes little to no sense. It took a pandemic & this iteration of AC to even double sales; while the last two Pokémon games haven’t cracked 30mil.

Something to consider in this regard is that TotK was actually on sale a fair amount during the holiday season. Could be that Nintendo was expecting bigger legs after the massive launch, and fairly significant social media presence the game had. I'm not sure I buy into what Kit and Krysta are selling here in general though. Ultimately the legs will be fine, and get some juice from a Switch 2 upgrade.

Overall I think it just reflects the difficulty of selling 2nd entry in a franchise on the same hardware. Some people were very adamant that TotK would for sure outsell BotW, but that always seemed like a stretch. We've seen it quite a bit in the past, and it's definitely cropped up in the Switch with stuff like Xenoblade 3, FE, etc. You get an initial breakout with that first entry, but sometimes people don't bother picking up the next installment, particularly as the system itself winds down a bit, and people start to invest time/money into other fresher ecosystems and experiences.

You can’t expect for a Zelda game to have a leg when it sold 20M in half year. If it’s happened not only this game will top BotW but even MK8 which is impossible

The "legs" of BotW (and other Switch evergreen titles) are due to the fact that they are sold as the first or second game of most new consoles sold, TotK came out at a time when sales of new Switchs had already declined, and because it is a Nintendo title there is little incentive to wait for a promotion, anyone who wanted to play has probably already bought the game.
And no, TotK will never surpass BotW in sales, and not because of quality, but because a lot of people played BotW and didn't like it and won't return for the sequel, and few people will start with TotK.

Sad they’ve had to resort to becoming clickbait YouTubers but then again they know nothing more than the rest of them.

Maybe. And I’ve seen this sentiment elsewhere. It’s just too early to tell. Initial sales were amazing and the rest of the year were good but clearly nothing crazy. But you can’t tell the legs of a game less than a year out from release. If it keeps selling a few hundred thousand every quarter for years, I would think Nintendo would be happy.

Just change some punctuation and a word or two and you get this:

DISAPPOINTING?
Why Nintendo Might be Disappointed by Tears of the Kingdom Sales

Still communicates the topic of the video and everyone would be fine with it. But I suppose declarative statements are more effective at getting those YouTube views, I don't know.

This is literally just the modern era of YouTube, summed up. K&K are just following the trends.
Those who don’t aren’t going to survive in this new hyper-competitive video sharing landscape.

Thanks Google!
Why is it Google’s fault? It’s what people like to click on.

i do feel totk engagement dropped off fairly quickly, i can see Nintendo being disappointed it isnt leggy and not as big of a deal as BOTW

i do feel totk engagement dropped off fairly quickly, i can see Nintendo being disappointed it isnt leggy and not as big of a deal as BOTW
A lot of what carried BOTW was:

1. novelty of it being a new style.
  2. A huge world to explore and constantly find secrets in.
  3. A ton of minute lore bits both in regards to the present day and how the game relates to other games to mull over and create a ton of theories over.
TotK has none of that. TotK largely leaned into the "build what you want" crowd which maintained interest in BOTW by creating contraptions like the floating magnesis minecart, which largely can only go on for so long before everyone ceases caring.

They could be disappointed that ToTK doesn't have BoTW's legs, it could be true. It had a huge launch but the drop is sales was massive after the first quarter of its release. It didn't even reach the million for its first christmas. For example, I've always seen lots of TV spot for Nintendo games on TV, but ToTK, I still see almost every day a spot for ToTK, I guess they put a lot of money in the marketing, and it isn't even close to have BoTW's legs (and it has been barely 6 months), in the end. But that's just speculation, obviously.

I'd be curious to know if ToTK is as profitable as some other Nintendo games.
I haven't seen a Totk ad since like a month after it's release but saw it a ton before hand

I'm sure there will be a Calamity Hyrule 4k collection for Switch 2 in 2025 with BOTW and TOTK for $80 or something like that to give it a bit more legs but yeah... I think its hard to compare to the situation around BOTW that caused it to do so well for so long. TOTK sold more like a PlayStation 4/5 exclusive (albeit about double what Spider-Man 2 sold) with the audience buying it day one on a mature console (with a looooong marketing rollout with many disruptions) and perhaps new people picking up Switches at this point are either multiple Switch owners, replacements or young families/kids who may not have wanted Zelda vs Mario/Fortnite etc... given its a game more targeted at the hardcore - so yeah idk find it hard to believe they're disappointed but you know perhaps they find some lessons from TOTK in what people want from Zelda so they can sell a crazy amount next time (less Minecraft more story? maybe less chance of a direct sequel if they find they don't do as well) etc... but who knows - disappointed is probably the wrong word

Just speaking for myself, I loved BotW but bounced hard off of TotK after two of the dungeons. For me, TotK was just Way Too Much Stuff™, and I just couldn't commit to the game. Not sure if it's because I'm getting older or because Tears had three environments to traverse, but I just couldn't muster up the energy to keep playing.

They have no clue.

But their entire gimmick as youtube influencers revolves around being former Nintendo (of America, mind you) employees so they have to act like they know.

There's no such thing as too frontloaded. The concept of time value of money says the opposite. If they're to sell 20 million copies, they'd rather do it up front than spread over a long time. A dollar today is always worth more today than tomorrow in a business calculation for a variety of reasons.

It's going to go down as a great seller. The fact that most of that happened immediately is icing on the cake.

More importantly, my beloved Breath of the Wild looks to remain no. 1.

On the topic of clickbait, I don't agree that Kit and Krysta can't be criticised here and instead the blame shifted elsewhere. I follow a number of channels on various topics that have seen far greater success than Kit and Krysta (and without the leg up they had too) and they were able to do it without sacrificing their dignity.

I'm not denying clickbait can be effective at building a channel, but it isn't necessary if you can offer truly decent content.

What are we doing here in this thread? What's up with all these drive by posts using this moment to dunk on them that does not contribute to any discussion at all?

The thread title and OP is even wrong. They never made the claim that Nintendo is disappointed in TotK sales numbers. They are citing numbers that TotK sold over 18m in its first month and in the following months it only reached around 20m. And are speculating that Nintendo might be disappointed in the numbers after the launch month to the holidays.

And they are making it very clear it's them theorising and speculating. But they go mostly over why TotK sold less than BotW, without calling it disappointing.

And yeah, they have clickbait titles which is very annoying. I unsubbed a while ago, since their content didn't really grab me. But all of this has nothing to do with this actual topic.

Honestly, in my opinion this thread seems to be made in bad faith. And many posters here are just using this moment to make fun of it, without (presumably) watching the actual video. Because, again, what this thread claims, what these posters are saying and what's actually said in the video are separate things.

Can someone at least change the thread title?

What are we doing here in this thread? What's up with all these drive by posts using this moment to dunk on them that does not contribute to any discussion at all?

The thread title and OP is even wrong. They never made the claim that Nintendo is disappointed in TotK sales numbers. They are citing numbers that TotK sold over 18m in its first month and in the following months it only reached around 20m. And are speculating that Nintendo might be disappointed in the numbers after the launch month to the holidays.

And they are making it very clear it's them theorising and speculating. But they go mostly over why TotK sold less than BotW, without calling it disappointing.

And yeah, they have clickbait titles which is very annoying. I unsubbed a while ago, since their content didn't really grab me. But all of this has nothing to do with this actual topic.

Honestly, in my opinion this thread seems to be made in bad faith. And many posters here are just using this moment to make fun of it, without (presumably) watching the actual video. Because, again, what this thread claims, what these posters are saying and what's actually said in the video are separate things.

Can someone at least change the thread title?
are you serious? the video title is "why nintendo is disappointed by tears of the kingdom sales"

Yeah... it's time they let the schtick go. They have just as good as an idea of what Nintendo thinks as anyone with common sense atp

im sorry but the more you guys post their content the more I'm convinced they just talk out of their ass 80% of the time.
Some of their insights have been interesting, episodes with ex-Nintendo staff for example. That said, the clickbait-y nature is something I am not fond off, but I also watch other YT that do the same. I just use them as background noise during exercise. Will later listen to the full video of them.

Last edited:
are you serious? the video title is "why nintendo is disappointed by tears of the kingdom sales"
If the title of the video is different than the actual content of the video, than having a bunch of people react purely to the title without watching the video isn't really helping anything.

If the title of the video is different than the actual content of the video, than having a bunch of people react purely to the title without watching the video isn't really helping anything.
well whose fault is that lol

well whose fault is that lol
  1. The algorithm of YouTube which favors flashy clickbait titles.
  2. Kit and Krystal for using a clickbait title.
  3. The people in this thread which are reacting without watching.
  4. The fast paced reactionary nature of the current day.

Maybe don't give them a click because of shitty clickbait?

they are always like this, they don't know anything.

I mean its a fair prediciton. Amazing start for Totk but legs are super weak for such a game.

Last quarter Botw almost sold as much and its a 7 year old game

Back
Top Bottom