• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Kirby's Dream Buffet announced, releasing summer 2022 on Nintendo eShop (UPDATE: out now!)

I destroyed a controller grip immediately and don't intend to touch it again

really wish I could return digital games after five minutes lol
Have you said why you don’t like it? I’m curious. It looks like fun, but I definitely can tell that it’s not for me.

The input lag is noticeable even on good connections. It’s somewhat manageable when that happens but lord when it’s terrible you have a like a good 2-3 sec delay on moving and jumping.

Like Nintendo please fix your shit so that the games on the next system don’t have these issues.

The input lag is noticeable even on good connections. It’s somewhat manageable when that happens but lord when it’s terrible you have a like a good 2-3 sec delay on moving and jumping.

Like Nintendo please fix your shit so that the games on the next system don’t have these issues.

If they keep relying on mobile wifi chipsets, and mostly P2P connections with delay based netcode, we're still gonna have stuff like this happen.

I'm a strawberry glutton and no I won't apologise for breaking your scales.

Pretty sure Gourmet Grand Prix is Mario Kart meets Mario Party at 400 ping with 1/100th of the budget but 10x more KIRB

Have you said why you don’t like it? I’m curious. It looks like fun, but I definitely can tell that it’s not for me.
I was just really bad lol

I can't handle competitive games anymore. Seriously questioning whether I'll even get Splatoon 3

I was just really bad lol

I can't handle competitive games anymore. Seriously questioning whether I'll even get Splatoon 3

Turf War! It’s just casual easy going fun. Especially when you pick a role that is not about going on the offensive but just inking away minding your own business like I do lol

Or the single player stuff!

Just means I stop playing multiplayer titles from them then. Not everything needs to be P2P and they should get it through their damn heads.

Tetris 99 has dedicated servers. I think in Dream Buffet's case is more on the netcode's end than anything, really. I don't think it would be significantly better with dedicated servers, but something closer to a racing game instead of delay based would be a serious upgrade.

Of course they could just start doing games with a player acting as the host instead of whatever weird P2P mesh they rely on right now, too, for a lot of games that would be a slight upgrade.

I told myself I'd have fun playing without taking the game too seriously but they had to implement a ranking system that adds/deducts points based on wins and losses. That puts me into tryhard mode, which in turn puts me into rage mode. The game's bad input latency, which gets even worse when playing online, only makes matters worse.

RNG definitely has a lot to do with whether you win or lose though. I've lost after placing first every round and won after placing last every round.

Haven't played for too long and a new course already unlocked after leveling a few times, so there's definitely more to be seen in the game.
I was pretty disappointed by the ranking number too. Makes losing in the final round at the last minute even if you were first for every other round feel even worse when you lose 300 rank points.

Turf War! It’s just casual easy going fun. Especially when you pick a role that is not about going on the offensive but just inking away minding your own business like I do lol

Or the single player stuff!
turf war and single player piss me off too

maybe I just hate video games now

Last edited:
I was pretty disappointed by the ranking number too. Makes losing in the final round at the last minute even if you were first for every other round feel even worse when you lose 300 rank points.
I promise no one is going to judge you on your Kirby MMR

I actually feel like losing points is desirable

Lose points temporarily = win more games in the long run = more food for Kirby

honestly i don't really get why they make the ranking public at all. the game's just so slapdash and silly that taking it seriously makes no sense when it all really just comes down to getting good abilities for the final battle round

it actually grates on me a little to see the number rise and fall as though i should care about it

Got around to playing some, and I love it! Not quite as similar to City Trial as I was expecting; it’s definitely more like Fall Guys. But it’s, like, infinitely better than Fall Guys since it’s well polished and actually feels good to play, lol, so that’s great!

So, let's say you start playing the game at 3AM (like me) and the game never matchmakes you with anyone. You get put against bots which are pretty easy to beat, but you still get the full x1.80 bonus rate at the end of the game. Extremely easy to get 700-1000 strawberries every time this happens.

Great game, it's really got a nice balance with all that chaos to balance out the games but seems like there's enough opportunity to optimize as a skilled player. I think the bonus fruits have no other purpose but for final bonuses, so it's a nice way to hedge your bets without going too out of your way. The Battle Royale finals are chaotic and have room for big upsets but not impossible to play a bit carefully.

Honestly you know it would be cool to get this sort of small thing as part of like a modern Kirby Super Star-like package. Love that HAL is still eager to give us these small games.

Last edited:
Got around to playing some, and I love it! Not quite as similar to City Trial as I was expecting; it’s definitely more like Fall Guys. But it’s, like, infinitely better than Fall Guys since it’s well polished and actually feels good to play, lol, so that’s great!
I said something similar on reddit and fall guys fans came for me lmao, but we are so dang correct high five

I said something similar on reddit and fall guys fans came for me lmao, but we are so dang correct high five
To me the only thing Fall Guys has over Kirby’s Dream Buffet is that it supports a lot more players, which is nice, but honestly when I’m just gonna be playing against random players most of the time anyway I don’t really care how many other players there are or even if they’re humans or CPUs, lol.

I’m not sure why they made the second round so short. 20 seconds is like it just barely gets started and then it’s over, everyone gets an extra 5 berries and we move on. Would be more interesting if it was longer and maybe also had the power ups like battle royals at the end.

I’m not sure why they made the second round so short. 20 seconds is like it just barely gets started and then it’s over, everyone gets an extra 5 berries and we move on. Would be more interesting if it was longer and maybe also had the power ups like battle royals at the end.
some of the minigame stages do have abilities on them, like the ones where you defeat enemies

but it really just seems like it exists to be a palette cleanser so you're not just bombarded with races

Jesus the rankings go up to 135. I’m not sure this has the longevity to play for that long.

The races are fun but it really does need some other modes. That’s where Fall Guys excels over this, hurdles, memory games, soccer, egg collecting, etc mixes up the gameplay.

The online is a mixed bag too. If you match with players with a poor connection the whole game turns to shit and stutters the entire time, but then other times you get a perfect connection 5 games in a row and it plays wonderfully.

I don’t care about winning though as the ranking doesn’t effect anything, you get strawberries and level up regardless. You can hit level 135 without winning once.

Overall it’s an ok package but could really do with a couple major content updates and online fixes.

I love this little game! Not sure how long it’ll keep my attention, but I played my first online matches tonight and they were all flawless.

These are the kinds of fleeting releases that give a console some of its character!

It’s a neat distraction, and it’s just as fun online as off. I’ll enjoy my two or so weeks with this.

I don’t get why the second round exists.

It goes for 20 seconds and you get like 10 points.

Just make it a minute with a bunch of 5 strawberry piles for the last 15 seconds and suddenly is has a purpose.

They've been doing that in every recent Kirby game, it makes me wonder when they'll drop 3DS and Wii U stuff from it 🤔
They should honestly just go all in and expand it to the whole series.

I don’t get why the second round exists.

It goes for 20 seconds and you get like 10 points.

Just make it a minute with a bunch of 5 strawberry piles for the last 15 seconds and suddenly is has a purpose.
It’s so you get another chance to press the dpad during the load to make Kirby giggle or something.

Finally got around to playing this today as I finished Xenoblade and online seem to be dead?! The games only a month old wtf?

There's very little to do. I have some friends who bought it and enjoyed it but after a couple days it seemed they'd exhausted everything it had to offer.

it's not a service title and it came in with a price tag, so it was never going to have much staying power

it's unfortunate, but it was never going to compete with the likes of fall guys

So is it not worth getting at this point? I was planning on blowing my gold points on it before they expire at the end of this month.

Quoted by: Tye
So is it not worth getting at this point? I was planning on blowing my gold points on it before they expire at the end of this month.
Absolutely worth getting if you’re a big Kirby fan. Otherwise…I dunno, maybe not, but it’s only $15 which is a steal for a first-party game, so I’d still say it’s worth grabbing if you’re interested at all, but maybe that’s just me.

Back
Top Bottom