• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Reviews Kirby and the Forgotten Land | Review Thread

Yeah? I mean, games should have some challenge lol. There's nothing wrong with thinking something is too easy.
That's clearly not forgotten Land tho, if it was they wouldn't be having fun
Why is that important to you? Like, at all...? Reviews are meant as a way to describe a game, so you can see if it matches your tastes in gaming.
In terms of awards etc they pay more attention to how a game is reviewed and so since these people prefer a difficult game, the awards will always go to them and so the devs of a top tier easy game won't get recognised for their work.

One of their negative points is how easy kirby is and that tells me that in order to be the tippy top, it can't be easy, otherwise it wouldn't be a negative
they could have found that the difficulty was detrimental to their enjoyment of the game. it's not necessarily that it has to be hard. I've seen more than a handful of fans say that about recent Pokemon games as an example.

like, as a full disclaimer, I've helped with professional reviews on sites like IGN. I've played games to assist with reviews as recently as last year. there is no sort of secret rule that difficulty has to even factor into scores. it's entirely up to the reviewer and their own taste. this is nothing more than a conspiracy theory.

From what I have seen they have all really enjoyed kirby and had loads of fun, so it's not too easy, just not hard and that's a negative for them.

Too easy to me implies braindead.
i am a gigantic kirby fan and i'm not about to pretend that any game in the series puts up any meaningful resistance

what we've seen and played of forgotten land is honestly extremely easy. there's nothing wrong with a reviewer feeling like that's too much, even if they like other aspects of the game

In terms of awards etc they pay more attention to how a game is reviewed and so since these people prefer a difficult game, the awards will always go to them and so the devs of a top tier easy game won't get recognised for their work.
Why would awards be important to any player of games?

And I can't see that it would be important for HAL to get awards for Kirby, since they will do more Kirby games anyway - using the same approach to difficulty that they always do.

i am a gigantic kirby fan and i'm not about to pretend that any game in the series puts up any meaningful resistance

what we've seen and played of forgotten land is honestly extremely easy. there's nothing wrong with a reviewer feeling like that's too much, even if they like other aspects of the game
In all fairness the boss fights in this game look pretty challenging. More challenging than 3D Mario boss fights at least.

Well nice to see the game actually scored a little higher than I was expecting

As for the whole Elden Ring stuff, well, most games don't score that high, including the rest of the Souls games, so I don't think that game alone really shows much of a bias in this regard. Especially when plenty of games that are generally easy or have easy difficulty options have no issue scoring that high. Now, within the general gaming community, yeah, a game being too hard won't be treated as valid of a criticism as a game being too easy but that's kinda whatever to me. I never really saw either of those arguments valid or invalid, just a matter of preference, with some exceptions
Elden Ring is currently at a 95 on Metacritic which seems about right to me. I think what people have an issue with is some games receiving a negative score because they're too easy like Kirby or too hard like Metroid Dread. But some games get praised because of the type of game it is. So a 2D game will more likely get scored negatively and the difficulty is an excuse to justify it. Where as a big, dark open world game will score better and the difficulty is never mentioned as an issue. Reviewers aren't infallible and I'm not sure why there's such a rush to defend them on here. People can make mistakes or be biased. Nobody's perfect.

Elden Ring is currently at a 95 on Metacritic which seems about right to me. I think what people have an issue with is some games receiving a negative score because they're too easy like Kirby or too hard like Metroid Dread. But some games get praised because of the type of game it is. So a 2D game will more likely get scored negatively and the difficulty is an excuse to justify it. Where as a big, dark open world game will score better and the difficulty is never mentioned as an issue. Reviewers aren't infallible and I'm not sure why there's such a rush to defend them on here. People can make mistakes or be biased. Nobody's perfect.
Dread got great scores from people who criticized the difficulty

Also "nobody's perfect"? Lmao. Dawg, it is not an imperfection that two different people have two different opinions about two different games. That's how people and opinions work.

Dread got great scores from people who criticized the difficulty

Also "nobody's perfect"? Lmao. Dawg, it is not an imperfection that two different people have two different opinions about two different games. That's how people and opinions work.
And it got some negative reviews because of its "difficulty" I'm not sure what you're having trouble understanding lol

they could have found that the difficulty was detrimental to their enjoyment of the game. it's not necessarily that it has to be hard. I've seen more than a handful of fans say that about recent Pokemon games as an example.

like, as a full disclaimer, I've helped with professional reviews on sites like IGN. I've played games to assist with reviews as recently as last year. there is no sort of secret rule that difficulty has to even factor into scores. it's entirely up to the reviewer and their own taste. this is nothing more than a conspiracy theory.
I see where you are coming from and I apologise deeply to all of you for my extremely garbage take. I will try to do better in the future.

Well it also depends on what the series is known for or what type of game it is. Like Metroid Dread getting some criticism for being difficult relative to the rest of the series is understandable. Kirby getting that for being easy or Donkey Kong for being hard is much less understandable for me but that's kinda whatever to me. I just see reviews, awards, etc. as opinions that you don't necessarily have to align with and shouldn't place TOO much importance on. I'd say one thing that helps out Elden Ring relative to other Souls games is that it has more freedom in how you can explore to level up or find weapons and skills plus more frequent checkpoints and improved fast travel so the difficulty is much more manageable this time around than before and thus why more folk can get into it. Of course, I still have my own issues with it, like finding it too punishing for its own good but, ehh, that's just how opinions are

I see where you are coming from and I apologise deeply to all of you for my extremely garbage take. I will try to do better in the future.
all good 👍 no harm, so you're no problem at all.

it's easy to focus on the cons people are saying, but just good to remember that they're just people like us writing them. if you disagree with their takes, then that's just fine.

Because games are being scored on what type of game they are. So for example a 2D side scrolling game will ALWAYS score lower than a big 3D open world game. I mean, It's not really difficult to figure out.
Well that's not anything new. Plenty of games won't win awards or score as well because of the type of game they are. Same reason why a racing game or SRPG or even really multiplayer games don't usually do well when it comes to awards. It is what it is. Most of what I like rarely does well come GotY season and a lot of what I don't care for or even dislike often win a ton. I don't really get bothered by it because it doesn't mean anything to me. I just like what I like

Just focus on what you enjoy

Well that's not anything new. Plenty of games won't win awards or score as well because of the type of game they are. It is what it is. Most of what I like rarely does well come GotY season and a lot of what I don't care for or even dislike often win a ton. I don't really get bothered by it because it doesn't mean anything to me. I just like what I like
I'm with you on that, I'm still going to like what I like. I just think it's a silly quirk. So best to just laugh at it.

This makes no sense when Hollow Knight and Ori and the Will of the Wisps exist.
Ehh...not to be rude here or anything but there are exceptions, like the ones you gave. Like how Journey won most GotY awards the year it came out, even though it's usually your big AAA cinematic experiences that dominate them. Overall, I do agree with your point

The problem with Odyssey, I think, is just that a lot of objectives weren't meaningful. And that's what I think a lot of people actually mean when they complain about difficulty.
I think that's a valid criticism, but we shouldn't make excuses for reviews that don't elaborate on why "easy = bad". If a reviewer implies that a game is lesser because of its difficulty, then we should take this as a stupid and shallow criticism instead of going full History Channel with stuff like "actually they were referring to this part in the third level..." . Let's not forget that these people get paid for writing these reviews and they should be criticized when their product is unprofessional.

Also Odyssey isn't even consistent about accommodating people with slow reflexes or accessibility issues, because there are very helpful moves exclusive to its motion controls.
Yeah, Nintendo has a problem making its games accessible to people with disabilities. However I think that the approach that games like SMO have taken is a very welcome progress in an industry where nobody cares about making games for little kids or senior players.

Honestly, though? I don't really find game reviewers as a whole were that harsh on Odyssey for its lack of challenge. And Animal Crossing, which ticks off a lot of the boxes you mentioned, got a lot of rave reviews. I do agree with you though that the industry should be more accommodating of different games in general. It's not even just casual games, either: the amount of multiplayer focused titles that get the acclaim of singleplayer games nowadays is pretty low.
eh, AC to SMO is an apple to oranges comparison. The problem that I see with the reception to games like SMO, Yoshi's Wooly World / Crafted World, previous Kirby games, etc. is that being easy has become some sort of sin for platformers. I'm sure there are millions of people out there that want get into action games or platformers and don't care about simulation games like AC, the problem however is that a lot of platformers (including many made by Nintendo) require you to have good motor skills and reflexes which not everyone has.
This mentality that simulation games can be as easy as they want, but action games need a certain level of difficulty to be good is frankly toxic, shortsighted and just needs to go.

TIL that some people deny the blatant 2D bias in the industry.
I think it's more to do with people coming into this thread to make bizarre claims that Dread being docked points for difficulty and Elden Ring not getting docked points is hypocrisy.

None of those games scored anywhere near as high as Elden Ring, The Witcher 3 or Red Dead Redemption 2. What are you having trouble understanding?
Maybe because those games are better? In terms of narrative design or exploration or gameplay. There's no anti 2D game bias.

Quoted by: Yzz
I can only imagine that they don't talk to others about games outside of Nintendo communities, because I have known many people who will outright say they do not play 2D games.

Haven't you all ever had "that" conversation with "that" relative who says something like "I don't know why my kids play the Minecraft; it looks like a game from the 90's!" Graphics and production value make a big difference for public perception.

Also of course 2D games will do worse on Metacritic, they're comparatively niche. Psychonauts 2 is also comparatively niche, and it scored similarly to Dread.

Up and Beauty and the Beast got nominated for best picture once, so there's no bias against animated movies in the Oscars.

The bias against foreign films ended when Parasite got Best Picture, so if a foreign film doesn't get nominations it's because it isn't Good Enough™.

Maybe because those games are better? In terms of narrative design or exploration or gameplay. There's no anti 2D game bias.
Yeah everyone knows that the unforgettable classic Dragon Age Inquisition became the consensus GOTY because it was an objectively better game than garbage games like Shovel Knight or Tropical Freeze.

Up and Beauty and the Beast got nominated for best picture once, so there's no bias against animated movies in the Oscars.

The bias against foreign films ended when Parasite got Best Picture, so if a foreign film doesn't get nominations it's because it isn't Good Enough™.

Yeah everyone knows Dragon Age Inquisition became the consensus GOTY because it was an objectively better game than garbage games like Shovel Knight or Tropical Freeze.

Who are you talking to?

I believe they're talking to you. How about trying to keep things respectful instead of dismissive?
I'm literally asking who they're talking to, because they didn't reply to anyone. I know Kirby reviews may seem important, but they're not so important that you need to get this heated.

Given that I said that 2D games not being as mainstream as 3D games leads to lower reviews, I have no idea what they could be replying to that I said.

Yeah everyone knows that the unforgettable classic Dragon Age Inquisition became the consensus GOTY because it was an objectively better game than garbage games like Shovel Knight or Tropical Freeze.
That's literally a whole different scenario, and even then I'd say that's less because it's a 3D game and more because it's a massive AAA game from Bioware. Just look at Hades and Disco Elysium. Those are 2D games that won tons of GOTY awards the past few years. They're just not sidescrollers.

2d games that are doing interesting shit, like the aforementioned undertale and celeste, garner critical buzz. a (good) donkey kong country sequel not winning goty is not evidence of some kind of overarching bias in the games press

Who are you talking to?
To people that think that some examples I can count with one hand somehow are proof that a bias doesn't exist. Sorry if that wasn't your point.

EDIT: again, sorry for asuming things, I didn't care to read the previous pages. My point is that 2D bias is a thing.

Last edited:
To people that think that some examples I can count with one hand somehow are proof that a bias doesn't exist. Sorry if that wasn't your point.
My point is that of course 2D games get treated less favorably, but the reason is more general (not being as mainstream). A lot of the best 3D games according to Metacritic are super mainstream, and honestly, the MC scores reflect what most people feel. Someone like me who has some weird shit in her top games would have a list diametrically opposed from MC's.

So like, you're not wrong, but I don't think you can prescribe that Dread's difficulty being a negative is a point of bias when compared to Elden Ring.

Maybe it depends on the genre? For example Metroidvania and precision platformer games tend to score unusually high critically. Thinking of games like Celeste/Dread/Hollow Knight which all have surprisingly high scores for what they are.

Maybe it depends on the genre? For example Metroidvania and precision platformer games tend to score unusually high critically. Thinking of games like Celeste/Dread/Hollow Knight which all have surprisingly high scores for what they are.
I can't tell if you're saying Celeste is undeserving or if it's surprisingly high for a niche game

Huh, this thread hasn't been about Kirby for a solid two pages or so.

Anyways, reviews look great but still not really sure I want to jump on this one, at least not at full price. Not really sure the game's for me, tried the demo and mostly felt lukewarm. But the reviews are definitely great news for the Kirby fans

Huh, this thread hasn't been about Kirby for a solid two pages or so.

Anyways, reviews look great but still not really sure I want to jump on this one, at least not at full price. Not really sure the game's for me, tried the demo and mostly felt lukewarm. But the reviews are definitely great news for the Kirby fans
I'd imagine, if the demo didn't sell you, the game as a whole probably won't do it for you as that is how a lot of Kirby games are

Any idea how long this game is when doing a regular non-completionist playthrough? Reading some conflicting things and I'd actually prefer it to be a little shorter I think.

2d games that are doing interesting shit, like the aforementioned undertale and celeste, garner critical buzz. a (good) donkey kong country sequel not winning goty is not evidence of some kind of overarching bias in the games press
Shovel Knight is arguably more important than Celeste and Undertale, it showcased what a crowdfunded game could do. Despite this immediate achievement, Shovel Knight was neglected in GOTY talks in favor of two AAA games nobody remembers.

That's literally a whole different scenario, and even then I'd say that's less because it's a 3D game and more because it's a massive AAA game from Bioware. Just look at Hades and Disco Elysium. Those are 2D games that won tons of GOTY awards the past few years. They're just not sidescrollers.
Ok I might have to take the L, that example is more about the pro-AAA bias, which is another beast.

I still maintain that the 2D bias still exists because during the late 90s / early 00s there was a lot of talk (and advertising) about 3D games being the future and 2D games being useless relics. A game artist on the old place talked about how sprite artists were treated like cavemen back in those days, because everyone was crazy about 3D (read about how players championed the ugly-ass PSX Street Fighter over SFIII because the latter still used sprites). It's true that we have seen that mentality fade over time (like Hades winning a lot of GOTY awards), but I personally believe that said mentality will stay in millenial / gen X heads for a few more decades.

I can only imagine that they don't talk to others about games outside of Nintendo communities, because I have known many people who will outright say they do not play 2D games.

Haven't you all ever had "that" conversation with "that" relative who says something like "I don't know why my kids play the Minecraft; it looks like a game from the 90's!" Graphics and production value make a big difference for public perception.
Yeah lol. If you think the 2D bias doesn't exist then you should take a stroll on Twitter or 4Chan whenever an indie game gets released or revealed. Pixel art Metroidvania was an actual fucking thing that got thrown in the old place and people unironically used against games like Celeste.

Last edited:
Shovel Knight is arguably more important than Celeste and Undertale, it showcased what a crowdfunded game could do. Despite this immediate achievement, Shovel Knight was neglected in GOTY talks over two AAA games nobody remembers.
I like Shovel Knight well enough, but it is quite literally a (good) throwback to a style of game that has been done to death before, and sold itself as such

and for the record I quite liked DA:I

Back
Top Bottom