• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Kirby and The Forgotten Land - How well will it do critically and commercially?

So it might barely beat out the 2D Kirby game that released on Switch in 2018? The on that didn’t have good word to mouth?
Last I checked (through obviously not reliable sources) Kirby Star Allies sold 3M copies and is the second best selling game in the series. If the new title sells 1M more than that, it would be quite remarkable

77-78 metacritic

It will be moderately complimented on presentation and gameplay ideas.
There will be performance issues that are noted.
Lack of challenge will be big issue with reviewers.
There is an issue of game length and emptiness of the game world.

It will get several 9's but a lot of the reviews will be 3/5 and 6 or 7/10

Last I checked (through obviously not reliable sources) Kirby Star Allies sold 3M copies and is the second best selling game in the series. If the new title sells 1M more than that, it would be quite remarkable

out-of-context maybe. Star Allies pretty much sold on pure brand recognition + Switch software boost though. it really was not doing anything notable at all to earn that 3M over the last decades of Kirby games

I think it can reach Super Mario Odyssey hights. So I think it can end up around the 95/97 range.

But probably it will end up more towards the 88 range.

out-of-context maybe. Star Allies pretty much sold on pure brand recognition + Switch software boost though. it really was not doing anything notable at all to earn that 3M over the last decades of Kirby games
I'm not comparing the two games at all, nor praising star allies quality. If you check the message i was replying to, you'll see i was just saying that if it barely beats Kirby 2018, it'll be the second best selling Kirby game ever.
Kirby has steady sales, you can just Google it and see for yourself. Predicting this new game will sell around 2 to 5M is a safe bet

Last edited:

It was the first four player co-op Kirby in most of a decade and the previous one came so late in the Wiis life that the game didn't really get off the ground like it should.

Despite what the internet has to say, it did what it set out to do damn well.

As always though, people on the internet don't take kindly to a game that expects you to play it with other humans. If the game actually had bad word of mouth, it wouldn't have done nearly as well.

Metascore: 87 ± 9. Upper 80s makes the most sense from what we've seen, but we've seen so little. There's a lot of uncertainty.

10-12 million lifetime sales because it's a 3D platformer starring a very recognizable character. It hits a big cross-section of casual and core players. And the Switch's lifespan will go on forever.

It was the first four player co-op Kirby in most of a decade and the previous one came so late in the Wiis life that the game didn't really get off the ground like it should.

Despite what the internet has to say, it did what it set out to do damn well.

As always though, people on the internet don't take kindly to a game that expects you to play it with other humans. If the game actually had bad word of mouth, it wouldn't have done nearly as well.

Yop. That’s what I’ve been saying. Outside of post game extras, playing solo is not the most exciting because of how OP the AI is. But playing with others the way it’s meant to be played? Fantastic. If it had online it would have probably gotten more on board.

That said, I feel like most y’all being a tad optimistic. I love Kirby. Game looks fun. I’ve yet to really play a bad Kirby game.

But, we are in a new age where lots of game writers are cynical snobs because they got one too many wedgies in school.

I am expecting an 80-84.

Really, really looking forward to this game. Going to be playing it next after I finish Horizon: Forbidden West. I think it’ll do well both commercially and critically.

Graphically it just doesn’t look as good to me as to everyone else. It doesn’t look bad by any means but to me it looks like a bright colored standard Nintendo game. Nothing wowed me from a visual perspective. The gameplay however is what drew me in.

Did the previews or demo change the predictions for people? Just curious, I'm still on media blackout lol.

We've seen the critical response, here's some data for the commercial reception - first month sales were a 231% rise over Star Allies (7 days tracking for FL, 15 for SA). Seems like it's done pretty well here.

We've seen the critical response, here's some data for the commercial reception - first month sales were a 231% rise over Star Allies (7 days tracking for FL, 15 for SA). Seems like it's done pretty well here.

Japanese sales have also been pretty good so the last holdout I think is for NPD?

The critical reception for the game has been very high by series standards, but I honestly think it deserves higher.

Such a wonderful game and might beat out Adventure and Robobot as my favorite Kirby game by the end.

Some... interesting... predictions on what kirby's reviews would be. 95/97? Really?

I don't usually like to dunk on critics, but it feels like they are are a lot harsher with their review scores for games like Kirby.

Kirby Forgotten Land, Yoshis Woolly World and Tropical Freeze are straight up S tier in their respective genres, but it feels like a lot of critics are afraid to rate these games as highly as the AAA super titles they give 9s and 10s to like candy just because they are smaller experiences.

I don't usually like to dunk on critics, but it feels like they are are a lot harsher with their review scores for games like Kirby.

Kirby Forgotten Land, Yoshis Woolly World and Tropical Freeze are straight up S tier in their respective genres, but it feels like a lot of critics are afraid to rate these games as highly as the AAA super titles they give 9s and 10s to like candy just because they are smaller experiences.
True. 2d games simply arent as well regarded. The dk games got caught in the shadow of the Prime games (which is amusing cause they sold a lot better) which further contributed to tf's ratings.

I hope this is finally the Kirby game that hits the 5 million mark. It's so impressive.
Technically the first Kirby game to hit 5 million is the first! But it's looking pretty likely this will break that and be the best selling game so far. Seeing a lot of lapsed Kirby fans or people who haven't played the series before picking this up.

I’ve beaten Kirby - it’s a good game, but probably an 8/10 at best for me. I was happy I played it and I liked it enough that I’ll keep an eye on 3D entries moving forward.

Critics aren’t “afriad” to give it a 9 or 10. They, just like me, don’t think the experience is on that level and it’s arrogant to think you are a better or more sensible judge than any of them individually.

so happy this game was a big success, we need a direct sequel for sure (think galaxy 2 to galaxy 1).
Or perhaps Triple Deluxe to Planet Robobot? Pretty amazing what a stylistic shift and swapping out one new mechanic for another can do to freshen up a game, even with keeping the same base mechanics and structure of the previous.

In truth I would be curious to see a Forgotten Land sequel get more expansive with its use of Copy Abilities. Add back in more complex movesets for some, bring back more staples. Use Forgotten Land as a basis and go wilder with it.

Yeah, if this is their first try and they knocked it out of the park with what's essentially a 3D Kirby prototype, it will be amazing to see how they can really evolve and play with the formula and get creative with/push the engine.

Back
Top Bottom