• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Kirby and The Forgotten Land - How well will it do critically and commercially?

I have no idea what the best-selling Kirby title of all time is, but given the effect the Switch has over the sales of pretty much all franchises, I will bet it will become the best-selling Kirby game.

As for critical reception, I am guessing it will hover around the mid-80s on Metacritic. It could do better than that, but I think there have always been a few critics bothered by the simplicity and low difficulty of Kirby games, and this time around I don't expect things to be different.

Last edited:
As a (3D) game that looks incredibly good and fun, I feel like this is going to sell really well. I don’t know the highest selling Kirby so far but I bet this beats it. I’m buying Day 1, can’t wait :)

To those saying the game may be short, watch one of those YouTube videos that analyzes every frame of the trailers.

From what we know, the game seems like it’ll be content packed, with lots of secret levels and waddle dee’s to unlock.

To those saying the game may be short, watch one of those YouTube videos that analyzes every frame of the trailers.

From what we know, the game seems like it’ll be content packed, with lots of secret levels and waddle dee’s to unlock.
I imagine the game's length will be on par with the other, more recent games in the series. Not so long if you're gunning straight to the end, but enough substance in its collectibles and bonus modes to be a lengthier adventure.

Most Kirby games are short but content packed.

Star Allies was on the shorter side even for a Kirby game, but it was content packed at least. I expect this to have a good amount of extras.

I think the Switch boost, novelty of the first proper 3D Kirby and general hype/marketing can push it past 5 million to be the best selling in the series, but probably a ceiling of 6-7 million total.

Kirby was never really on my radar, but ever since I watched that trailer with my children we ´ve been hyped as hell. Gonna be a great time playing this coop with them!

In terms of reviews, I’m not that sure. I wonder if there isn’t still a hard cap on certain games due to the important crowd of gamers and reviewers that put « manly games for manly men » above all else, but who knows… Nintendo manages to circumvent that occasionally.

I’ve (cruelly) conditioned the purchase of the game on my daughter behaving well at school and home, we have a calendar where each day is ranked « green/yellow/red ». She’s extremely serious about it, asks every evening what colour she earned. She’s drawn Kirby on the side of the calendar and written « for Kirby » right under. I feel trapped, I really don’t want her to be disappointed but I’m not changing the rules either, so I’m crossing fingers here 😅

85 to 89 metacritic. Not Mario tier but will be the best reviewed Kirby in ages.

Sales is the fun one. I think this will sell 5m+ and finally be the Kirby game to sell better than the original Kirby's Dreamland.

I’ve (cruelly) conditioned the purchase of the game on my daughter behaving well at school and home, we have a calendar where each day is ranked « green/yellow/red ». She’s extremely serious about it, asks every evening what colour she earned. She’s drawn Kirby on the side of the calendar and written « for Kirby » right under. I feel trapped, I really don’t want her to be disappointed but I’m not changing the rules either, so I’m crossing fingers here 😅
Wow, this is almost as exciting as playing Kirby itself hahaha.

Feel like it will be very well reviewed and sell well but there will be a bit of "too easy, too short" going on to drag it down from a 90+

I‘d love to be wrong, but I get the sense it‘s easy to score a really good Kirby game with an 8 or 9, so ideally, it would score in the 87-90 range.

high 80s meta, maybe touching 90 if it can reach 3D Mario level platforming and pure fun.

and best selling in the series by far right away is a straight lock. the internet has just fallen love with the game and all its insane quirkyness even just with trailers so i think it's gonna have tons of new people coming in.

calling 10 million at the least right now

this is a fan site so we tend to exagerate in an optismistic way our prediction.....
MC 82 to 86
units sold= 2.6 to 3.6 million

it's more this is too conservative. Star Allies, the 2.5D platformer that was deemed fairly mediocre by critics and audiences alike with minimal innovation, and came at full price while being very short, has still sold 3+ million just uptill now.

Kirby actually has a huge fanbase and even more that know of the lil pink ball but just don't play his games often cause they're mostly the same. i think this game has very high potential for the first big boost to the franchise in a very very long time

it's more this is too conservative. Star Allies, the 2.5D platformer that was deemed fairly mediocre by critics and audiences alike with minimal innovation, and came at full price while being very short, has still sold 3+ million just uptill now.

Kirby actually has a huge fanbase and even more that know of the lil pink ball but just don't play his games often cause they're mostly the same. i think this game has very high potential for the first big boost to the franchise in a very very long time
you are right, i remained and 2.5 million sold for star allies....instead it reached 3.1 million now.
I will up my prediction for that difference of 600 000 units sold.
So i see the game reaching 4.2 millions
edit: i hope your prediction becomes true....touching 90 in metacritic for kirby would be incredible!

85% review score, and will do well in the 4-5 million sold range, making it the best selling game in the franchise
I think there's a good possibility of much higher sales if things slot in correctly, like a higher review score or extremely good wom.

85% review score, and will do well in the 4-5 million sold range, making it the best selling game in the franchise
I think there's a good possibility of much higher sales if things slot in correctly, like a higher review score or extremely good wom.
4-5 million isn’t the best selling in the franchise.

If this isn’t a big potential breakout moment for the series, what would be lol?
there's nothing in this release that resembles the kind of investment seen in Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time, not in production, not in marketing, not in momentum.

Kirby on Switch follows the same AA release pattern found in 90% of Nintendo's releases. The fact that it's receiving a little more attention than the usual Kirby games doesn't mean that much.

there's nothing in this release that resembles the kind of investment seen in Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time, not in production, not in marketing, not in momentum.

Kirby on Switch follows the same AA release pattern found in 90% of Nintendo's releases. The fact that it's receiving a little more attention than the usual Kirby games doesn't mean that much.
It doesn’t need Mario 64 or OoT investment. It looks like the biggest budget of any Kirby. It’s going 3D for the first time ever. You can’t quantify “momentum” because I can easily say this game has a lot of momentum and it’s on a system with 100 million user base.

It doesn’t need Mario 64 or OoT investment. It looks like the biggest budget of any Kirby. It’s going 3D for the first time ever. You can’t quantify “momentum” because I can easily say this game has a lot of momentum and it’s on a system with 100 million user base.
@Deformed_Lunchbox was comparing to Prime, Mario 64 and OoT, I only said that it isn't the same thing.
I didn't say anything about being good, selling a lot (5mi for me is a lot) or having good reviews.

ps: good chance it will sell more than Metroid Prime.

@Deformed_Lunchbox was comparing to Prime, Mario 64 and OoT, I only said that it isn't the same thing.
I didn't say anything about being good, selling a lot (5mi for me is a lot) or having good reviews.

ps: good chance it will sell more than Metroid Prime.
How come you don’t think it’ll be the same? This looks great from what we’ve seen so far. If it’s the highest rated and highest selling Kirby game, I think we could say it’s probably Kirby’s Mario 64, Metroid Prime, OoT moment.

Instead of Oot/Mario64/Prime, it might be better to think of this as maybe the Awakening of Kirby. AKA low 90s but not high 90s.
It’s not just score though. It’s the next evolution for Kirby just like Super Mario World to Mario 64. Awakening was there to save a series on the brink of extinction

I think it will do ~85% (+/- 2%) on Metatric.

Its domestic LTD sales will be +2 millions, and its worldwide ones +5 millions.

Saw this on my Facebook feed :)

274127256_4463182257115352_6340280536626841079_n.jpg

I'm gonna be pessimistic here and say low 80s on MC and 3-5 million sold. I hope I'm wrong, as I plan on buying it if it reviews well

I imagine it'll be the best selling Kirby but I dunno how much it'll explode. We do live in a world where Luigi's Mansion 3 sold more than 10M so anything's possibl for Kirby I feel.

Regarding reviews, I wouldn't expect them to go too high. Most Kirby games review around the 80 mark and since this one is, at least, trying something new I can see it going to like 85 at best.

Just chiming in again to say that despite Horizon, Atelier Sophie 2, FF6 Remaster, Elden Ring, and ELEX 2 all out or coming soon, I am SUPER stoked to play this and will be there Day 1.

I buy all the Kirby games. I never beat them (true of most things), but they are simply great wholesome fun. Having a fully 3D one that looks as good as it does (I get major Mario odyssey vibes from graphics for some reason) is a dream. I bet this will be in my top games of the year :)

Also - Mouthful Mode IS a bit creepy, and so hilariously inappropriately named that it makes me chuckle lol.

6 millions at best for sales, if 3D World on Switch sales is anything to go by

Critically I can't know,if the game is fun as it looks maybe 87 on metacritic wich would be a great score

6 millions at best for sales, if 3D World on Switch sales is anything to go by

Critically I can't know,if the game is fun as it looks maybe 87 on metacritic wich would be a great score
Hmm? 3D World is doing great on Switch. I'd be surprised if it wasn't close to 10 million or so by now and it's not done selling either. Never mind that it's also a port of a game rather than a whole new one so some folk who played it before wouldn't buy it again. I'd say Kirby will, in the end, sell more than 6 million

Low 80s on MC. I'm not sure wrt sales of other Kirby games, but i believe they are quite constant. So maybe it'll be 1M higher than average due to better marketing push

Low 80s on MC. I'm not sure wrt sales of other Kirby games, but i believe they are quite constant. So maybe it'll be 1M higher than average due to better marketing push
So it might barely beat out the 2D Kirby game that released on Switch in 2018? The on that didn’t have good word to mouth?

Back
Top Bottom