• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe |ST| New Magolor Modes

VolcanicDynamo

1-Up Boy
Pronouns
He/Him
Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe |ST| New Magolor Modes by VolcanicDynamo

Release Date: February 24, 2023
Price: $59.99
Number of Players: Single System (1-4)
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: HAL Laboratory
Genre: Action, Platformer
Game File Size: 6 GB
Supported Languages: Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese

Wii Adventure, Deluxe Features

On a peaceful day in Dream Land, a flying ship warps in from Another Dimension and crash lands! Investigating the crash site, Kirby and his friends meet Magolor, a mysterious magician from a distant planet. The core parts and Energy Spheres of his ship, the Lor Starcutter, have been scattered throughout Planet Popstar. Kirby and friends agree to help Magolor find the missing pieces and restore the ship.

But what lies in another dimension? What dangers will Kirby and his friends run into on their adventure? And what's the deal with Magolor? To find out, Kirby and pals will need to explore Dream Land and beyond in an action platforming adventure packed with puzzles to solve, enemies and powers to encounter, and bosses to overcome.

Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe takes the Wii original and gives it an HD face-lift. Graphics have been enhanced, music has been remastered in higher quality, and characters and designs have been updated to their modern looks. Controls have been updated to not use motion controls, and characters and copy abilities have been given updated movesets to match recent games. There are also some additional options, such as the “Auto Swallow” mechanic from Kirby and the Forgotten Land and an easy mode in the form of a “Helper Magolor” that will give you items in stages and save you from bottomless pits. Want a taste before you buy? Try out the demo on the eShop!

The adventure doesn’t end when you reach the ending! Like with the original release, Deluxe offers a bevy of more difficult modes. Unlock Challenge Stages with the Energy Spheres you collect, testing you on your knowledge of specific copy abilities (including new stages based on the Mecha and Sand abilities). Complete the story mode, and you’ll be able to take on all of the game’s bosses in The Arena, or brave a harder version of the story mode in Extra Mode. If you can conquer Extra Mode, The True Arena awaits…

An Adventure for up to Four Players

In the story mode and in Merry Magoland, play as Kirby and his friends - up to four players can join in on the fun in single system local multiplayer. Player 1 always plays as Kirby in these two modes. Other players can play as different colored Kirbys or can play as one of the other three characters. Unlike with Kirby, only one of each extra character can be on your squad at a time.

CharacterDescription
Kirby official art
Kirby
Everyone’s favorite pink puffball returns for another adventure! Inhale your enemies and spit them back, or use one of 26 Copy Abilities for new attacks and unique ways to solve puzzles.
King Dedede official art
King Dedede
It's the return of the king! Sporting his redesign from Kirby and the Forgotten Land, King Dedede brings heavy hammer swings and special techniques from his classic boss fights.
Meta Knight official art
Meta Knight
The lone swordsman returns! Combine the mobility of Wing with the slicing power of Sword. Meta Knight has plenty of tricks of his own up his mask…
Bandana Waddle Dee official art
Bandana Waddle Dee
The returning player 2 of the modern Kirby games is here! Bandana Waddle Dee's big heart is only matched by the power of his spear!

New & Returning Copy Abilities

By swallowing enemies or finding Copy Essences, Kirby can gain new powers! These can be used to fight enemies and solve puzzles to find Energy Spheres. Experiment with different techniques for the best results - you can always pause the game to figure out your moves.

Alongside all 23 Copy Abilities from the original game, Deluxe features two brand new copy abilities and one returning ability from Kirby Star Allies, making for a grand total of 26 Copy Abilities.

Copy Ability​
Description
Mecha Kirby official art
Mecha Kirby
Use robotic armor to shoot laser beams, punch with metallic fists, utilize fire and electric attacks, and more. You can even hover with a jetpack!
Sand Kirby official art
Sand Kirby
Manipulate the earth around you to unleash sand blasts, create dust devils, grab faraway items, and even build sand castles! Dodge attacks by hiding in a sand pile.
Festival Kirby official art
Festival Kirby
This screen-clearing, one-time use ability from Kirby Star Allies turns enemies into food and Point Stars. Party hard with your friends!

Alongside these, use devastating Super Abilities to tear through foes and solve special puzzles. Use them to uncover dimensional rifts - brave the timed platforming challenge and defeat the Sphere Doomers to claim additional Energy Spheres.

Superb Subgames at Merry Magoland

The original Wii game only contained two subgames, Scope Shot and Ninja Dojo. While Scope Shot has been removed in Deluxe, the overall subgame package has been supercharged with the addition of Merry Magoland. In this amusement park built and run by Manager Magolor (what a swell fellow!), there’s a whopping ten subgames to enjoy alone or with friends, a new high for the series. This includes the returning Ninja Dojo, two brand new subgames, and seven subgames returning from previous Kirby games. Each subgame has multiple levels, increasing in difficulty and complexity as they go - can you master them all?

SubgameOriginal GameDescription
Egg Catcher preview
Egg Catcher
Kirby's AdventureCatch eggs and avoid bombs thrown by a robotic King Dedede!
Samurai Kirby preview
Samurai Kirby
Kirby Super StarWhen the ! shows up, press the button as quickly as you can! The warrior with the fastest reflexes will come out on top.

You can also play Samurai Kirby 100 online - see if you have the fastest time againt 100 ascyncronous players!
Checkerboard Chase preview
Checkerboard Chase
Kirby 64: The Crystal ShardsCause blocks to drops and force your opponents off the map. Lose all of your lives and you're out. As players leave the game, the board shrinks. The last player standing wins!
Bomb Rally preview
Bomb Rally
Kirby: Nightmare in Dream LandUse your frying pan to swat a bomb back and forth towards your opponents in increasing amounts of speed. Mistime your button press and you're out. The last player standing wins!
Crackity Hack preview
Crackity Hack
Kirby & the Amazing MirrorCharge up and aim accurately to tear the biggest hole you can through Planet Popstar. Good timing is key!
Smash Ride preview
Smash Ride
Kirby: Squeak SquadRam your Smash Star into enemies and your opponents to knock them off the arena and gain points. The player with the most points when time runs out wins!
KRt-DLD-Kirby-on-the-Draw-preview.jpg
Kirby on the Draw
Kirby Super Star UltraShoot cardboard cutouts to earn points, but don't forget to reload! Watch out for the Bombers - they'll stun you and cost you points if you shoot them.
Ninja Dojo preview
Ninja Dojo
Kirby's Return to Dream LandTime your shuriken strikes to hit each target as close to the bullseye as you can. The more accurate your strikes, the more points you will earn!
Magolor's Tome Trackers preview
Magolor's Tome Trackers
NEWFind the book that Magolor is thinking of before your opponents! Use the color and the shape on the book to identifty them, though be warned that Magolor's memory may be a bit fuzzy. The player with the most points when time runs out wins!
Booming Blasters preview
Booming Blasters
NEWShoot down your opponents in a top-down arena! Fire a quick straight shot or a slower lob shot, and power up your weapon by hitting foes. Don't forget to pick up ammo, and look out for the devastating Super Blaster. Lose your health and you're out. And don't stall - Kabula will arrive soon enough. The last player standing wins!

Play subgames and complete missions to earn stamps, and get enough stamps to earn extra goodies. You can gain items you can carry into stages, such as health restoration or offensive tools. You can also unlock up to 86 unique Character Masks for Kirby and friends to wear, each representing a character from other Kirby games.

A sample of some of the Character Masks that you can collect in the game. The top row features masks based on King Dedede, Bandana Waddle Dee, Magolor, Efilin, and Daroach. The bottom row features masked based on Chef Kawasaki, Marx, Adeleine, and Meta Knight

Magolor Epilogue: The Interdimensional Traveler

Completing the story mode unlocks a brand new playable adventure starring Magolor. Following the events of the story mode, the interdimensional traveler has been stripped of his powers and is left stranded between dimensions. It is up to you to restore Magolor’s power and help him find a way back home by exploring twenty unique levels packed with new and returning enemies.

At first, Magolor will only have a jump and a basic attack. Throughout the adventure, Magolor can find special items to grant him new abilities. Defeating enemies and performing combos earns Magic Points, which can be spent to enhance those abilities. Through this system, Magolor gains both new attacks and improved mobility options, slowly building back to the moveset seen in games such as Kirby Star Allies. The order in which you select upgrades is completely up to you.

Like the story mode, the Magolor Epilogue can be played by up to four players. Each player will take control of a different colored Magolor. All upgrades applied to the main Magolor will apply to all players.

Trailera & Media

Metacritic: 80
OpenCritic: 81 (Strong)
See the review thread for a more detailed breakdown!

Last edited:
Excellent ST. Thanks for making it.

I’m very excited to play this game for the first time and haven’t even tried the demo to increase the anticiption.

It’s a shame Clive ‘n’ Wrench releases the same day, but might grab it anyway because of the preorder discount.

Nice OP!

Super hyped about the game. One of my favorite Wii games (waited 10 years for it!) got a really nice coat of paint!

Played the demo and Booming Blasters is a legitimate great mini game. Could spend tens of hours on it. Sucks that there's no online for it.

And I hope there's a Susie mask for Kirby!

Very excited for this game, I have my pre-order ready, although I do not think I will receive the game this Friday (hopefully I am wrong) I can already taste those sweet Saturday afternoons playing this game God willing.

Gonna buy a couple vouchers and use one on this and the agonize for the next several months over whether or not to buy TotK physical or use the other voucher.

Nice OP!

Super hyped about the game. One of my favorite Wii games (waited 10 years for it!) got a really nice coat of paint!

Played the demo and Booming Blasters is a legitimate great mini game. Could spend tens of hours on it. Sucks that there's no online for it.

And I hope there's a Susie mask for Kirby!
Susie mask confirmed:

I haven’t been following the pre-release much, how do the new abilities get implemented? Do the levels have new enemies running around them?

Anyway, have this loaded with a voucher on my Switch. Really curious about the Magolor subgame.

I haven’t been following the pre-release much, how do the new abilities get implemented? Do the levels have new enemies running around them?

Anyway, have this loaded with a voucher on my Switch. Really curious about the Magolor subgame.
Yeah, the levels have new enemies that give the copy abilities, replacing a couple of enemies here and there. The demo gives an example with a Sand enemy in World 2.

How would you compare this to Triple Deluxe? Is it similar gameplay? I played the demo, but want to be sure before buying.

How would you compare this to Triple Deluxe? Is it similar gameplay? I played the demo, but want to be sure before buying.
Very similar. Return to Dream Land was the game that introduced the "modern" Kirby style that was later expanded upon for Triple Deluxe, Planet Robobot, and Star Allies. If you like Triple Deluxe, you'll like this one too.

Very similar. Return to Dream Land was the game that introduced the "modern" Kirby style that was later expanded upon for Triple Deluxe, Planet Robobot, and Star Allies. If you like Triple Deluxe, you'll like this one too.
I like Triple Deluxe and LOVE Robobot but did not like Star Allies until 4.0.0. Thank you!

I like Triple Deluxe and LOVE Robobot but did not like Star Allies until 4.0.0. Thank you!
Then you'll be right at home - I feel pretty similarly to you and while I prefer the 3DS entries, I think Return to Dream Land is close to them in quality (and that's not even counting the new material like the Magolor Epilogue or new subgames). Hope you enjoy the game if you get it!

There are spoilers for Magalor’s Epilogue already up on YouTube, so be weary if you care/don’t want to be spoiled. (Thankfully haven’t run into a thumbnail that spoils anything—yet.)

Mecha Kirby is ridiculously fun

kiry-mecha-ability-1160x653.webp

That is my take for the night

Game's still fun overall, if straightforward compared to some of the entries after it

Just started with it. It is just a jolly adventure deluxe :). Also fun to play with friends or family :D.

Decided to try to complete Merry Magoland as soon as I unlocked it before continue the story mode, and I’ve already done everything…except clear Egg Catcher on Level 3. Ugh, this is gonna take me a long time, isn’t it? The difficulty of this one mission is, like, way higher than any other…

EDIT: Oh, apparently I didn’t need a perfect score of 30 since I managed to complete the mission with just 28. Okay, that’s not as bad as I feared, lol.

But, uh…turns out there are MORE, even harder missions that you unlock once you clear the first 100!

Last edited:
My partner and I have barely played the main game. We spent an hour just playing the subgames. Given that the original game only had two different ones, this is a pretty substantial upgrade! There's a great party game here I think, with lots of different modes and options.

So I have a question for HAL Laboratory: if the subgames are all freely available to play in Merry Magoland, why do we still use Energy Spheres to unlock them in the Lor? And they have you unlocking them super late too. You want Ninja Dojo? 115/120 Energy Spheres!

...or I can just press the X button, go to Merry Magoland, and play it without collecting a single Energy Sphere. Huh? Not that I want to wait until that late to play these games, and it's not big deal, but it seems like a pretty redundant system to hold onto?

So I have a question for HAL Laboratory: if the subgames are all freely available to play in Merry Magoland, why do we still use Energy Spheres to unlock them in the Lor? And they have you unlocking them super late too. You want Ninja Dojo? 115/120 Energy Spheres!

...or I can just press the X button, go to Merry Magoland, and play it without collecting a single Energy Sphere. Huh? Not that I want to wait until that late to play these games, and it's not big deal, but it seems like a pretty redundant system to hold onto?
I thought that was kinda odd too, lol. But I can understand why they’ve kept it like that—aside from the fact that the subgames were there in the original version (so rather than making that part of the Lor Starcutter useless, they simply expanded it to include all the new subgames), I assume they decided to do it like that to gradually introduce the games to players as they play. I’m sure many people will just ignore Merry Magoland while they’re playing through story mode, but having the subgames also accessible in story mode via the Lore Starcutter may get players who might not have otherwise checked them out to give them a try. And having them have to be gradually unlocked one by one helps to not make the large selection of subgames too overwhelming or intimidating.

I actually came here just now to ask the same question!

I don't think playing the subgames from the Lor even counts towards missions. Or at least the tome tracker one I tried didn't.

If I just play this normally like I did robobot and triple deluxe, will I be missing any of the "deluxe" content?

That ‘Past Adventures’ menu cracks me up every time I see it a Kirby game from the last 5 years. It’s gotta be an in joke at HAL or something.

Quoted by: Tye
That ‘Past Adventures’ menu cracks me up every time I see it a Kirby game from the last 5 years. It’s gotta be an in joke at HAL or something.
Why would it be a joke? I honestly love that HAL does this with Kirby games and I wish other developers would do it, too. You can really tell how much love HAL has for Kirby with how much they reference and celebrate their past games—even the lesser known ones—and I absolutely love that!

Playing as Magalor with the full moveset feels so good I could honestly see it carry a whole game.

If I just play this normally like I did robobot and triple deluxe, will I be missing any of the "deluxe" content?
The game features three abilities that weren't in the original - Festival from Star Allies and the brand new Mecha and Sand abilities. They're found throughout the levels in the main game, so you would have to go out of your way to miss them.

The subgames in Merry Magoland are all available from the start, so if you wanted, you can play any of the games at any time and unlock some of the character Masks and bonus items to carry into stage. But it's never required to go into Merry Magoland if you don't want to.

I don't believe the Magolor Epilogue requires anything other than finishing Story Mode? So that would mean all Deluxe content doesn't require you to go wild with completion. But having not finished the game yet, I don't know!

The game features three abilities that weren't in the original - Festival from Star Allies and the brand new Mecha and Sand abilities. They're found throughout the levels in the main game, so you would have to go out of your way to miss them.

The subgames in Merry Magoland are all available from the start, so if you wanted, you can play any of the games at any time and unlock some of the character Masks and bonus items to carry into stage. But it's never required to go into Merry Magoland if you don't want to.

I don't believe the Magolor Epilogue requires anything other than finishing Story Mode? So that would mean all Deluxe content doesn't require you to go wild with completion. But having not finished the game yet, I don't know!
Thank you

I don't recall having fond memories of the original, but I'm enjoying this version and impressed by how much was added and changed. I suppose it is a full-price game, so expectations should be high. Still, from what I've played, I'd say Nintendo released two quality remasters/remakes in the same month between this and Metroid Prime Remastered. Hopefully these games bode well for Advance Wars and the rumored ports/remasters/remakes to come.

I actually came here just now to ask the same question!

I don't think playing the subgames from the Lor even counts towards missions. Or at least the tome tracker one I tried didn't.
Add me to the list of people who came to this thread to ask this question. I'm pretty puzzled by the minigames being accessible in both modes and gated in one of them. This redundancy and inconsistency is the only part of the package I'd criticize from what I've played so far.

My partner and I have gotten up to the third world - we'll easily finish it tomorrow and hopefully the fourth world as well. We're both enjoying it a lot!

The best thing I can say about Return to Dream Land is that it feels like a very balanced multiplayer Kirby game. Star Allies gives you a boatload of powers and gives you lots of chances to beat up enemies, but it has lacking level design and the four player can trivialize the game. Forgotten Land de-emphasizes the moment to moment combat in favor of the platforming, and it's great fun even with that, but it's perhaps not the best multiplayer game and I miss having 20+ powers. Return to Dream Land is not as stuffed with powers as the former and not as ambitious and large scale as the latter, but it has a little bit of everything - lots of powers, solid moment to moment blend of exploration and action and jumping, and it feels solid as a two-player game. The sped up Super Abilities in Deluxe help the pacing a lot too.

I’m a bit buried in games right now, but I finally started this up tonight. My big takeaway so far is that I barely remember this game at all which I’m pretty happy about since it feels way more fresh than I expected walking in. I’ve dabbled with a few of the minigames and fully cleared the Megaton Punch one. Seems like a more solid collection in practice here than I was expecting.

I certainly won’t be flying through this game as I’m juggling too many games right now, but this is a great compliment to everything else I’m enjoying and I’m eager to play the new Magolor epilogue mode so I’ll likely still be making steady progress all the same.

Over the weekend, I finished the Story Mode, Magolor’s Epilogue, and the Arena. I’m finally going to work on getting all the missions done in Merry Magoland this week. I want to gush about some of the things from the latter two modes, but don’t want to spoil anything. Tbh, it’s more fun/trippy to encounter the stuff blind.

I will say playing this with the kiddo has been an absolute blast. Just seeing her reactions to everything has made the experience way more enjoyable than it should be. XD

This game genuinely feels way better than I remember from the original Wii version. Very glad I picked this up. Is there a quick list out there showing the updated copy ability movesets? Definitely curious which ones got moves added.

Just started Magolor Epilogue, it's pretty fun, has an interesting power progression. Both this and Bowser's Fury do a good job adding value to double dippers.

Almost wonder if Magolor will get into Smash after this, lol.

Just finished Magolor Epilogue and absolutely loved it—especially a certain revelation at the end that I totally called years ago! (Spoiler: Dream Kingdom is canon but in a different dimension, and it’s actually the same Magolor in all games! I knew it! Everything is canon in Kirby!!)

Now I just need to do Extra Mode and The True Arena, but that’s gonna take some time… Can anyone here confirm if there’s still anything else new to see after Magolor Epilogue (not counting stuff from the original game like Magolor Soul and Galacta Knight) or have I seen it all by now? I just wanna know if it’s safe for me to look at spoiler content online yet or not, because if I’m already in the clear I may put off beating Extra Mode for awhile.

I suspect there has to be at least something else (besides the obvious extra boss fight against the Magolor Epilogue final boss in The True Arena but with Kirby, since I’d be shocked if that wasn’t a thing) because I’m still missing a fair amount of music in the Jukebox and some Dress-Up Masks (most of which are clearly Extra Mode bosses, but I’m clueless as to what the very last one would be).

Just finished Magolor Epilogue and absolutely loved it—especially a certain revelation at the end that I totally called years ago! (Spoiler: Dream Kingdom is canon but in a different dimension, and it’s actually the same Magolor in all games! I knew it! Everything is canon in Kirby!!)

Now I just need to do Extra Mode and The True Arena, but that’s gonna take some time… Can anyone here confirm if there’s still anything else new to see after Magolor Epilogue (not counting stuff from the original game like Magolor Soul and Galacta Knight) or have I seen it all by now? I just wanna know if it’s safe for me to look at spoiler content online yet or not, because if I’m already in the clear I may put off beating Extra Mode for awhile.

I suspect there has to be at least something else (besides the obvious extra boss fight against the Magolor Epilogue final boss in The True Arena but with Kirby, since I’d be shocked if that wasn’t a thing) because I’m still missing a fair amount of music in the Jukebox and some Dress-Up Masks (most of which are clearly Extra Mode bosses, but I’m clueless as to what the very last one would be).
Extra Mode has actually more enemies and even less food in levels than the original, so it's even harder now.
When it comes to after all of that... Magolor Soul in the True Arena specifically is different.

Gotta say, the masks are pretty cool in this game. I hope that we get more in future updates.

Oh yeah, they're also fun to mod too. Let me introduce Kirbo Knight!

FqFz6TKXwAQm93I

FqFz5XyXwAE7LrD

Extra Mode has actually more enemies and even less food in levels than the original, so it's even harder now.
When it comes to after all of that... Magolor Soul in the True Arena specifically is different.
Huh, okay, thanks; I guess I better get on that then because I need all the lore ASAP!!

Fighter has never been one of my favorite copy abilities so forgive me if this has been in a prior game, but you can do a Hadouken in this game with the motion even and that’s awesome!

I like Mecha and Sand btw. Really impressed how many moves they both have for their first appearances.

Back
Top Bottom