• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe | Review Thread

mazi

picross pundit
Metacritic (80)
OpenCritic (80)

Player 2 (10/10):
Kirby’s Return To Dream Land Deluxe is much more than just a remake, offering plenty of new content to fresh and returning players alike. It’s impossible not to smile while playing this game, especially alongside friends.

Shacknews (9/10):
There’s tons of bonus activities to help keep you busy both in terms of subgames in Merry Magoland subgames and the new story content via the Magalor Epilogue. If you’re looking for a game for your kids to play, Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe is without a doubt one of the best offerings in 2023 with approachability found in every aspect from gameplay, to its whimsical core themes, to the fact that co-op multiplayer is offered pretty much throughout.

Nintendo Life (9/10):
Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe is a fantastic remake of one of our favourite Kirby adventures. With slick new visuals, some meaningful gameplay tweaks and two excellent new modes to dig into, this is a big, loud and colourful celebration of all things Kirby that should delight new and returning players alike. Magalor's Epilogue is a surprisingly chunky addition to the core action that gives the campaign a nice boost, whilst Merry Magoland ensures that you and your pals are kept busy with plenty of minigames, missions and online challenges to best once you're done with the main story mode. It's another win for everyone's favourite pink puffball.

Vooks (4.5/5):
Kirby’s Return to Dreamland Deluxe is a wonderful Kirby game that will feel both fresh and familiar to veterans and newcomers alike. While it isn’t particularly well-suited to multiplayer gameplay, everything else is as polished as can be, and the new epilogue is some of the most refreshing Kirby gameplay in years.

Destructoid (9/10):
If you remotely like Kirby and haven't picked any series entries up in a while, it's hard to go wrong with this one.

Screen Rant (4.5/5):
Overall, Kirby's Return To Dream Land Deluxe is absolutely wonderful. It might not be a game that changes the world, but it's some of the most fun available on the Nintendo Switch.

Game Informer (8.75/10):
Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe is still an enhanced remaster of a 12-year-old Wii game, but it effectively brings forward one of the pink puffball's best outings, complete with meaningful additions. The result is a game worthy of sitting in the Switch catalog next to last year's superb Kirby and the Forgotten Land.

Video Chums (8.8/10):
Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe took an already great game (perhaps the most underrated game in the series) and made it even better with sharp visuals, oodles of extras, and a brand new mode that allows you to play fun mini-games from Kirby's past titles.

CGMagazine (8.5/10):
Kirby’s Return to Dreamland Deluxe doesn’t redefine the series like Kirby & the Forgotten World, but it’s a welcome addition to the Switch library. This feast of content for players of all stripes continues the pink puffball’s reign as Nintendo’s King of Co-Op.

God is a Geek (8.5/10):
Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe is a great excuse to revisit a classic Wii title, with just enough new additions to shake things up.

WellPlayed (8.5/10):
As a follow-up to the highly successful Forgotten Land, Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe may tread on old ground, but it does so with confidence and colour aplenty.

NME (4/5):
Kirby’s Return To Dream Land Deluxe is an utterly charming platformer that serves as a wonderful gateway to the Kirby series’ 2D side. Though it struggles with laughably weak bosses, every second of the story mode is a visual treat; while a wealth of side activities and optional collectibles give Kirby’s latest adventure some welcome depth.

VGC (4/5):
Whether you've played the Wii version or not, this remaster offers enough content to keep both newcomers and veterans busy for a while. As a Kirby game it's fairly typical and doesn't do anything particularly revolutionary, but what it does offer is strong, entertaining platforming.

Digital Trends (4/5):
"Potential" is the word I keep coming back to when playing through Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe. I'm smitten with every piece of the package on its own merits, but I'm also left excited about what it could signal for the future of the series. There's a lot of room for Hal Laboratories to take the combo-based platforming of Magolor Epilogue or the progression systems of Merry Magoland and use them to innovate its next original Kirby game, whether it's 2D or not. This may be a blast from the past, but it's even more exciting when viewed as a peek at what's to come.

Wccftech (7.5/10):
Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe is one of Nintendo’s more expansive “Deluxe” Switch repackaging efforts, offering a slick visual makeover and a slate of new content. That said, all the additions don’t really raise Kirby’s Return to Dream Land above its status as a fun yet somewhat unremarkable game from one of the pink guy’s less ambitious eras. There’s plenty of charm on display here and younger players are likely to enjoy themselves, but this wisp of a game can only be puffed up so much.

GAMINGbible (7/10):
This is a game that’ll make you smile. It’s impossible to play through one of the jolly stages or even simply wander around Merry Magoland without feeling a warmth in your heart, and that’s not something that every game can do.

Comicbook.com (3.5/5):
Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe is a great reminder that even when HAL Laboratory sticks closely to the Kirby formula, it still manages to deliver an experience that's enjoyable for players of all-ages.

GameSpot (7/10):
Fortunately, though, that main attraction is delightful. Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe feels like a very complete package thanks to a remastered platformer campaign, substantial new Magolor epilogue, and smart new additions like the Mecha ability and Helper Magolor mode. It might be a little simple for some tastes, but it's grand fun to get lost in such a sweet little adventure regardless.

IGN (7/10):
Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe takes a fun but straightforward Wii platformer, freshens it up visually, and adds a new mini adventure to pad out its otherwise relatively short campaign. Kirby’s journey across Planet Popstar starts as a slow, overly easy drudge. But once the difficulty picks up and the stages become more creative, this platformer shines through to its over-the-top conclusion – even if that conclusion comes far too soon. The Magolor Epilogue is also a welcome addition that stands on its own as another brief but worthwhile story. Return to Dream Land certainly isn’t Kirby’s best or most creative outing, but if you haven’t already played it on Wii, the Deluxe version is the ideal way to see what a traditional Kirby game is all about.

Siliconera (7/10):
Kirby’s Return to Dream Land, at the time, felt like a poignant throwback after installments like Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards and Kirby and the Amazing Mirror. Now in 2023, Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe’s revival results in an entry that feels like a more introductory experience to be enjoyed with a small group of newcomers to the series.

Stevivor (6.5/10):
If you’re a massive Kirby fan, this is for you. If you’ve got a passing interest, wait for a sale. It’s not that this is bad, or unpolished… it’s just another repacked game with a value proposition that lacks.

Dexerto (3/5):
Kirby’s Return to Dreamland Deluxe is a charming platformer with plenty of fun content for kids and families to discover and enjoy together. But with a very low difficulty level and a real lack of innovation, it’s unlikely to captivate older audiences in the way that the best Nintendo games can.

Metro GameCentral (5/10):
An underserved remaster to an unremarkable 2D platformer, that was the primary reason why the soft reboot of Kirby And The Forgotten was necessary in the first place.

Last edited:
Sounds like a 2D version of Forgotten Land. Gonna get with vouchers or wait for discount. I need more joy in my life in this wretched world

Seems like the kind of game where if you haven't played many Kirby games you'll have to play the demo to see if you'll like this one. At least, that's what I plan to do.

This is Kirby’s world and we’re just in it.

I never played the original so it’s like a brand new Kirby title for me. And it’s got the glorious return of Samurai Kirby.

Not posted but the Metro review was maybe the hardest I've ever disagreed with any review I've ever read. I get that some people might now like Kirby as a series for being "easy", but to accuse the series as a whole of having poor pacing, especially RtD of all games just confirms that review and I do not overlap at all in opinion.

Sounds like, on the whole, the critics have been a touch kinder to this one than the original release (that has a 77 on Metacritic with less reviews), but this one isn't gonna rock the boat or substantially change your opinion on the original. About what I expected!

I'll have the ST up later today!

I wish I hadn't played the original, then I would definitely get this.

I don't have it in me to go through the game again, getting all those energy spheres was a lot of work. I'm interested in the new content but I'm not buying the game just for that.

It's a great game for people who have never played it though. Probably the best 2,5D era Kirby.

Any time reviewers mention 'low difficulty' in a Kirby game, I roll my eyes, hard. Go play Mario Maker 2 levels if you're looking for a real challenge.
Me? I'm in Dreamland. Cozy. Cute. Cuddly. With my squishy child. And we're frolicking.

It's weird. I remember this getting announced and I thought "okay this is a lot of Kirby at once" and thought it was an immediate skip. Then I remember seeing there was a demo and I was like "uhh lol okay who in the world needs a demo for this?" and then went on with my life. As I was downloading everything from that Direct, I downloaded the demo as like a "eh what the hell I need to kill an hour". Wound up being very charmed by it. Really nice art direction, feels very fast and fluid, and I will likely use my other voucher on it. Demos work; who knew?

Reviews seem good! Excited to check it out.

I never played this on the Wii, and I was mostly ignoring this game, but the reviews have peaked my interest. My main thing with Kirby games is I find that they’re too easy and there’s not too much to do in the games, but the reviews seem to indicate the added content is pretty substantial.

I still need to play Kirby and the Forgotten Land as well.

Great reviews like I expected, really happy to see the game getting bumped up from the original 77 score on the wii.
I'll have to pass on the game and wait for a discount since I already played on the wii but I really want to replay it since it has been a while.

Kirby is always an instant buy for me.

Such great fun and relaxing games that absolutely ooze charm. Beautiful to look at and brilliant music. Sublime controls. They are everything I love about Nintendo games.

Yes, I am a little bit hyped.

Can't wait.
Hopefully Triple Deluxe Deluxe (Quadruple Deluxe ?) and Planet Robobot Deluxe are next in line !
It has been a bit slow for Kirby on Switch at first, but we're finally getting there with the console becoming a big Kirby machine.

Yes, I have seen that it’s arround 4 hours if you rush it, so on the line of Bowser's Fury. That's a great way of selling a remake/remaster.
Nice!! Here’s to a fun time!
And of course new, delicious lore.

Sounds like, on the whole, the critics have been a touch kinder to this one than the original release (that has a 77 on Metacritic with less reviews), but this one isn't gonna rock the boat or substantially change your opinion on the original. About what I expected!
It's getting better reviews than I expected. I wonder if Forgotten Land has given critics a new appreciation for Kirby games.
I think so - or at least, has let reviewers know their audience likes Kirby games and doesn't need them qualified.

Are most (all?) of the modern Kirby games lacking in challenge level / difficulty? My only experience with the series consists of Nightmare in Dream Land and Amazing Mirror, both of which are fairly old now, but I remember them being respectable enough, in the game difficulty department. What changed, or were the games more or less always pretty chill?

Are most (all?) of the modern Kirby games lacking in challenge level / difficulty? My only experience with the series consists of Nightmare in Dream Land and Amazing Mirror, both of which are fairly old now, but I remember them being respectable enough, in the game difficulty department. What changed, or were the games more or less always pretty chill?
In my experience, the difficulty is usually backloaded and saved for those looking for completion. I don't think most reviewers play Kirby with completion in mind since they have so many other games to get to.

That's a really good question without an easy answer. I have some theories (take with a grain of salt).

First of all, the series has been easy from the beginning. Sakurai was explicit about that in his video on Kirby's Dreamland. He designed the game to be easy. I feel that what's changed are the standards around difficulty, and what constitutes easy. There's more signposting now. Also, features like Assist Mode have become the norm in Nintendo games, and have been added into Kirby games which were already easy (in this case, Helper Magolor).

Then there's multi-player. Amazing Mirror is a fun example because it isn't designed to be played all the way through with 3 Computer controlled assistants. If I rememeber correctly, summoning them takes phone charge, a limited resource. So the total chaos of 4 Kirbys on screen is not the norm unless you've got a four player game going. But then Star Allies comes along and gives you 3 helpers all the time, trivializing bosses. I didn't play Return to Dreamland, so I'm not sure how computer controlled allies work there, compared with here.

And yes, we Kirby fans always say "but the difficulty is backloaded," but that's really only true if you're a completionist. I go for 100%, and I've fought some tough bosses, but it's all relative to the very low baseline.

I'm happy to say that I don't mind that Kirby games are extremely easy. They're not as easy for everybody, and difficulty isn't the point anyway. I get people who feel that there's just too little friction, but I don't find that to be the case. I usually find it to be just right.

They've always been pretty chill with a couple of endgame segments being a bit more here and there. Even then a lot of that difficulty tends to account for literal minutes and doesn't really compare to what moderately demanding 2D platformers aim for at this point. I do think the 2D platformer genre these days offers more "difficulty" or complex/varied challenge levels, which is why it's more noticeable since Kirby tends to be more conservative on that aspect.

Always interesting reading Kirby reviews. I think some reviews forget that these games are designed to be easy...it's like criticizing Dark Souls for being too hard or Metroid for having some backtracking.

Always interesting reading Kirby reviews. I think some reviews forget that these games are designed to be easy...it's like criticizing Dark Souls for being too hard or Metroid for having some backtracking.
Going to go out on a limb and guess that people aren't exactly put off by the difficulty, it's just there is something lacking in the general friction or interest grabbing department. It's a lot easier to just identify "this is too easy/simple" as a symptom than to get into all of that.

Going to go out on a limb and guess that people aren't exactly put off by the difficulty, it's just there is something lacking in the general friction or interest grabbing department. It's a lot easier to just identify "this is too easy/simple" as a symptom than to get into all of that.
There are some people who argue Kirby games are too easy because you can fly over most levels. I can't even imagine wanting to play any game in the most boring way possible.

TIL Screen Rant reviews games as well.

I’ve got this downloaded and ready. Haven’t played RTDL since release so I’m curious to revisit it and see all the new stuff too.

The only braindead Kirby game I remember playing was Epic Yarn, which is also the worst imo.

All other Kirby games start very easy but ramp up in difficulty as you progress, and end up being a fair challenge. Kirby doesn't have very dynamic controls so it's hard to react to things, at least to me.

My complaint is that the games aren't different enough from one another, and I've been saturated since the original Return to Dreamland released.

I think the Polygon review is the best summary of that perspective. The writer tries to draw the line between Kirby games which hold their attention and those that don't:
Young people appreciate novelty and creativity, though, and other games in the series have provided that abundantly. There’s a distinction between being easy — something every Kirby game that’s ever released has been, to some degree — and being repetitive. And more often than not, Return to Dream Land Deluxe rests on what’s worked in the past rather than trying something new.

Back
Top Bottom