• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

NSO Jet Force Gemini releasing on NSO November 30th (JP) / December (US)

Jet Force is pretty cool! And the footage on the Japanese trailer looked stupidly smooth! -- But yeah, this is a great sign for other and more requested Rare titles!

I’m not sure this really means anything for Conker’s Bad Fur Day, since this 18+ N64 app is only for Japan, and Conker didn’t get a Japanese release. Of course, they could always bring the 18+ N64 app outside of Japan…but then what games would it have besides Conker?? Surely they wouldn’t launch it with just one game, especially since it seems they held off on releasing GoldenEye 007 in Japan until they could launch it with another game (Jet Force Jemini).
You know.. I was humoring yesterday the idea of Mortal Kombat 4 on the N64 18+ app, despite the fact WB Games haven't showed any sign of caring of rereleasing older titles, not even the classic 2D Arcade trilogy... But I just realized now they already support NSO with Quest for Camelot! So.. maybe? lol

image.png

I really don't see the problem with there only being one game, especially at launch. The marginal maintenance cost of adding these is likely quite low.
I’m not saying they can’t—I’m saying I’m not sure if they would. After all, they seemed to hold off on releasing GoldenEye 007 in Japan until they had another CERO Z game to release alongside it, which, to me, suggests that they didn’t want to launch a separate 18+ N64 app with just one game on it.

I’m not saying they can’t—I’m saying I’m not sure if they would. After all, they seemed to hold off on releasing GoldenEye 007 in Japan until they had another CERO Z game to release alongside it, which, to me, suggests that they didn’t want to launch a separate 18+ N64 app with just one game on it.
I think it's more likely they held off the release while they were negotiating the exact approach with both internal (NERD, the Switch OS team, etc.) and external (ratings boards) stakeholders. There are other forms this could have taken.

Quoted by: Tye
I think it's more likely they held off the release while they were negotiating the exact approach with both internal (NERD, the Switch OS team, etc.) and external (ratings boards) stakeholders. There are other forms this could have taken.
I mean, sure, that could be the case, but you’d think that’d be the kind of stuff they’d sort out before they announce it for release, wouldn’t you? Or at least not over a year later. We can’t be sure either way, but regardless, the fact is that they’re releasing it alongside a second CERO Z game which was surely intentional. They could have just released Jet Force Jemini later, but instead they made sure to have it ready with GoldenEye 007 for the launch of the 18+ N64 app.

I mean, sure, that could be the case, but you’d think that’d be the kind of stuff they’d sort out before they announce it for release, wouldn’t you? Or at least not over a year later. We can’t be sure either way, but regardless, the fact is that they’re releasing it alongside a second CERO Z game which was surely intentional. They could have just released Jet Force Jemini later, but instead they made sure to have it ready with GoldenEye 007 for the launch of the 18+ N64 app.
For a normal NSO release, maybe, but GoldenEye specifically has a lot of extra crap going on with it, given that there's a far more complicated than typical rights situation and the coordinated release with Microsoft for the Xbox version. Adding the ratings board stuff to the mix would have added even more complexity to what is probably already the most complex NSO release by a wide margin.

Quoted by: Tye
For a normal NSO release, maybe, but GoldenEye specifically has a lot of extra crap going on with it, given that there's a far more complicated than typical rights situation and the coordinated release with Microsoft for the Xbox version. Adding the ratings board stuff to the mix would have added even more complexity to what is probably already the most complex NSO release by a wide margin.
I realize that, but even so, I can’t imagine Nintendo announcing a game for release like that before having all that stuff sorted out already. Maybe unexpected issues popped up, I dunno. Regardless, it was obviously intentional that they launched the 18+ N64 with two games rather than just one, because, again, they could have just saved Jet Force Jemini for later.

The track record is fine though? Barring the weird f-zero occasional buffer trigger everything else got fixed within 2 updates
At launch, OoT had no fog. Kirby 64 launched with a game-breaking bug. It took ages to fix Inviso in Yoshi's Story. Paper Mario still has some frame drops against that boss, Mario Party 3 also has frame issues with a minigame. Probably more I'm not remembering...

Jet force Gemini always controlled like ass, no matter how bad you think the Xbox version is, it was much worse on the n64.

Good luck to anyone trying this out for the first time, is about all I can say.
I played it on the N64 and almost 100% it, so no it was not "worse" at least before whatever patch is bespoken of here:
In the Rare Replay version, you can switch to a new control that was patched after release, but you can't choose it ingame, you have to activate it in the Rare Replay frontend of Jet Force Gemini. It helps a ton.
I'll look out for it there, thanks! I knew about the patch but didn't know I had to activate the control fix outside of JFG itself and within the Rare Replay menus.

lol what?

I wasn't expecting this before DK64 or DKR, but yeah, sure, let's go

Used to be my favorite Rare game back then after GoldenEye/Perfect Dark (yeah, I even prefered it to Banjo Kazooie)

It didn't age that well, both in control (always was kinda weird and unintuitive to control, but today it's worst) and game design (just like Tooie and DK 64, Rare went too big, too much stuff to collect, etc), but it's still stupidly fun to shoot at bad guys AND good guys. It's kinda gory for a "cute" game of that era. Blood, decapitation, etc.

I don't know who did the french translation of the game back then but it had some very, very "How did this flew under the Nintendo radar" stuff in JFG.

Like :
French : Merci de m'avoir ramené ce 'magazine sportif'. J'aimerai être seul maintenant. Si je répond pas quand tu reviens, c'est que j'ai les mains pleines, si tu vois ce que je veux dire...

English : Thanks for bringing me this 'sports magazine'. I'd like to be alone now. If I don't answer when you come back, it's because my hands will be full, if you see what I mean...

Also, is there a new app for the Japanese shop that will just be 18+ Cero games? That’s what it is looking like on thee video.
i doubt this means they're going all in on adding Mature games, for the record.

the app was clearly made for edge cases where titles that are rated Z in Japan and (roughly) rated Teen everywhere else aren't unavailable in that one region. both Goldeneye and JFG were stuck in that issue as both games allow you to shoot innocent people. the (non-human) gore in the latter was probably also a likely problem.

there's still a few other hypothetical games that could fit in there without also requiring an 18+ app elsewhere in the world, such as Body Harvest and Command & Conquer. (they could probably also throw the Neon Genesis Evangelion game on there as a regional exclusive if they're feeling especially wild)
They actually updated the controls on xbox one to be less dog poo, hopefully they bring over some of those modernizations to this version.
not really, no.

the "dual-analog" mode in Rare Replay basically just maps a few of the buttons to the analog sticks. far more finicky than Goldeneye and Perfect Dark's implentation of actual dual analogue movement.

not really, no.

the "dual-analog" mode in Rare Replay basically just maps a few of the buttons to the analog sticks. far more finicky than Goldeneye and Perfect Dark's implentation of actual dual analogue movement.
I managed to beat the final boss when I started using the new controls, first try (the patch arrived when I was at the final boss)
It closer to a "Gears of War" kinda controls (without the cover system) than the OG ones.

What I'm wondering is will this also allow for a good widescreen mode like in the NSO Goldeneye ?

So
I managed to beat the final boss when I started using the new controls, first try (the patch arrived when I was at the final boss)
It closer to a "Gears of War" kinda controls (without the cover system) than the OG ones.

What I'm wondering is will this also allow for a good widescreen mode like in the NSO Goldeneye ?
Yes, I was thinking the same about widescreen. This was one of the few games which allowed widescreen on the N64, and the Japanese trailer showed the game without the borders, so I think it's pretty much confirmed.

This is of course fantastic news! JFG was the biggest epic space adventure of its time imo before Halo and Mass Effect came along. And if I’m being honest, I like better than both of those series, though I may be just slightly biased 😅

But it truly was an epic space-faring adventure. Get to discover and travel to several planets; play as three different characters, each with their own unique ability; and you get to have the honor of what may very well be Robin Beanland’s greatest soundtrack of all-time. Seriously, it’s pretty darn incredible and you just know your ears are in for an adventure of their own just from the moment you boot up and hear the title sequence.

I hope you all give it a chance!

This is of course fantastic news! JFG was the biggest epic space adventure of its time imo before Halo and Mass Effect came along. And if I’m being honest, I like better than both of those series, though I may be just slightly biased 😅

But it truly was an epic space-faring adventure. Get to discover and travel to several planets; play as three different characters, each with their own unique ability; and you get to have the honor of what may very well be Robin Beanland’s greatest soundtrack of all-time. Seriously, it’s pretty darn incredible and you just know your ears are in for an adventure of their own just from the moment you boot up and hear the title sequence.

I hope you all give it a chance!
The boss battle theme is easily my favorite theme. The soundtrack is truly amazing, don't let the jungle theme (first level) misguide you ; every other level theme song is a banger.

Always going to be one of the best compositions to ever make it out of Rare and the N64, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

This is one of those ambitious early 3D games, which are my favorite genre honestly

There is absolutely some incredible wonkiness to deal with when playing this game, and there always was, but the worlds and music and feel of adventure are pretty fantastic regardless

I wonder if the feature where a second player can control Floyd the robot as a co-op mode is going to be in this? That's how I played it back in the day, and we did 100% those missions in order to get the true ending.

However

We couldn't manage to figure out how to beat the final boss so we never saw it lol

After Goldeneye, I expect widescreen support to be a standard feature of the N64 emulator where applicable. If they did it for one game, there's no reason not to do it for everything.

Sounds like there are plenty of N64 games to look forward to.

The track record is fine though? Barring the weird f-zero occasional buffer trigger everything else got fixed within 2 updates
Meh. The track record is still not fine, sure they fix things but there are still bugs in a lot of games, F-Zero X happens to be the most annoying one.
Inviso boss in Yoshi's Story took more than a year to be fixed which is frankly ridiculous how long that took.

My number one complaint right now are still the controls and I will still say a nice F you to Nintendo for basically forcing to buy the N64 NSO controller when I still think it's a terrible controller and can still very much be adapted to the current controllers just fine and proper had they just added at least one option to rotate the face buttons and swap L and ZL. And then the stick sensitivity still should be dealt with for all games.

Meh. The track record is still not fine, sure they fix things but there are still bugs in a lot of games, F-Zero X happens to be the most annoying one.
Inviso boss in Yoshi's Story took more than a year to be fixed which is frankly ridiculous how long that took.

My number one complaint right now are still the controls and I will still say a nice F you to Nintendo for basically forcing to buy the N64 NSO controller when I still think it's a terrible controller and can still very much be adapted to the current controllers just fine and proper had they just added at least one option to rotate the face buttons and swap L and ZL. And then the stick sensitivity still should be dealt with for all games.
Also the input latency on N64 NSO is still very bad.

Speaking of . Ive been wondering @LuigiBlood how would Ique/Nintendo go about reducing the input latency?

I dont know much about how any of this works. But ive been told an amount of latency is inevitable. But how do most emulators go about improving it?

Speaking of . Ive been wondering @LuigiBlood how would Ique/Nintendo go about reducing the input latency?

I dont know much about how any of this works. But ive been told an amount of latency is inevitable. But how do most emulators go about improving it?
I'll be honest it's not something I can really say how that can be worked out because N64 emulation is where it starts to get really complicated with too many gears making the system.
However emulators on PC can have less latency and Wii VC certainly did too, and I believe mupen64plus-nx has less latency than the official N64 emulator.

But there's one thing that I kind of noticed and it's how the N64 NSO emulator is worse than the Super Mario 3D All-Stars one in many ways including input latency and I still find it strange and at this point I just wonder if it's just because of Vulkan being badly managed by the UI? I dunno.
I can't really have a proper answer to this.

Last edited:
Hopefully this ushers in the rest of the Rare catalogue now that Nintendo is running out of its easiest N64 titles to pull. Happy to see this finally make its way to the service and it seems like a clear signal we'll get at least DK64, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo Tooie, and Blast Corps... Eventually...

Perfect Dark MIGHT be possible? Seems like a stretch still to me, but it could be one of those one off M-rated app things given what we just saw with Goldeneye. And then Conker and Mickey are going squarely in my never happening pile.

A mostly complete Rare catalogue with all the best releases of the Wii and Wii U VC plus the additional stuff Nintendo just never re-released on those services would make it the most complete N64 collection we've ever seen, so I'll take it at this point. I just wish they'd get other third parties on board more and really push the service.

And YIKES at year one of GBA support. Like truly horrendous they decided that Expansion Pack alternates rather than being heavily supported by GBA and occasional N64 double ups.

And the N64 controller is not even a viable solution in handheld mode... For most games, I view the N64 app as effectively docked-only. Playing something like F-Zero (even without considering the slowdowns, which are, frankly, unacceptable) or Star Fox, or aiming in Zelda, is very uncomfortable with that button layout and the stick sensitivity.

I am even fine with the release schedule (N64 doesn't even have that many games), and at this point, the library is quite good. But the experience is ruined by the subpar emulation and a bad UX.

Putting any Factor 5 game on the NSO would be sweet, but they are among the most difficult games to emulate properly.

And they went even harder on the GameCube, the Dolphin crew defined how hard it is to emulate Rebel Strike just by posting a Factor 5 logo because of the insane tech they put in the game yet having it running at 480p / 60 FPS and displaying twice more stuff than Rogue Leader.

Also JFG is still MIA on the Japanese N64 NSO.
I need my 3D Turrican fix. Com'on Nintendo, bring on the Star Twins already !

Last edited:
Putting any Factor 5 game on the NSO would be sweet, but they are among the most difficult games to emulate properly.

And they went even harder on the GameCube, the Dolphin crew defined how hard it is to emulate Rebel Strike just by posting a Factor 5 logo because of the insane tech they put in the game yet having it running at 480p / 60 FPS and displaying twice more stuff than Rogue Leader.

Also JFG is still MIA on the Japanese N64 NSO.
I need my 3D Turrican fix. Com'on Nintendo, bring on the Star Twins already !
I'm pretty sure Factor 5 games should work in theory as I'm pretty sure the emulator doesn't actually do High Level Emulation of graphics and that's probably a thing I should give them credit for but honestly meh

Also: JFG IS on Japanese N64 NSO as of yesterday. It's on the N64 NSO 18+ app.
Let me be clear: Star Twins (Jet Force Gemini) IS RATED CERO Z (18+) in Japan.

CERO didn't exist back in the N64 days and they're extremely stingy about decapitation and dismemberment, even in more cartoon contexts. I'm not surprised they rated it a Z, you can literally blow up little kid Tribals and collect their heads.

I'm pretty sure Factor 5 games should work in theory as I'm pretty sure the emulator doesn't actually do High Level Emulation of graphics and that's probably a thing I should give them credit for but honestly meh

I forgot about the Cero App. Welp, gonna switch region later to get the app, then.

I forgot about the Cero App. Welp, gonna switch region later to get the app, then.
Tried it a bit in portable mode and it looked very crisp. Sadly the widescreen mode is a very bland and I'll keep playing in 4/3.

Control wise, it works well as long as you accept to be forced with inverted vertical aiming (grr, N64 Rare needs to be kicked at least 49382983 times in the gonads). Holding R brings the "Free Aiming mode" that lets you back & forth and strife with the right stick and aim with the left one and it isn't as bad I was feared.

Jumping tho is still tied to the "up" on the right stick, which sucks.

Does the 18+ app have only the two games or is it everything else + the two?

Yeah its weird we don't have a date in the US besides just this month. I could see JFG and 1080 being a double package in a single update for the western N64 NSO app. Wouldn't matter in Japan because they'd have to update the main N64 app (not the 18+ one) for 1080 and Harvest Moon.

I wonder how the controls are for this, weren't the Rare Replay JFG controls a total mess at launch and had to be fixed?

Back
Top Bottom