• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour It appears very likely Sonic Frontiers will be shown at The Game Awards

Will Sonic Frontiers be at TGA?

• Golden Ring sound effect (yes)

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Golden ring sound effect playing at agas station when you check out (no)

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A playable Sonic CD opening as a full game would be fantastic.
YES. This! A million times this!

...Y'know. A though occurs to me. Sega brought on fans to create the much beloved Sonic Mania. Who's to say they couldn't bring fans in again someday, like, say, the creator Of Sonic Utopia?

Geoff knows that if he said "the next game" people would not think about a collection, so I doubt its Sonic Origins.

A playable Sonic CD opening as a full game would be fantastic.
It would be great of course, but it would be a tall task for any studio, let alone Sonic Team. My guess is it will be sort of like Sonic Adventure, where the open world is a hub of sorts (with enemies and tasks strewn around) and "missions" that replicate the boost levels.

The issue seems to always come down to creating enough assets for Sonic to blow through while making the game last longer than 3-5 hours, so I would guess an open world could be used to pad out the playtime with backtracking, similar to how Mario 64 got the most out of its level design by asking the player to go through them multiple times, sometimes with minimal changes to the map.

It would be great of course, but it would be a tall task for any studio, let alone Sonic Team. My guess is it will be sort of like Sonic Adventure, where the open world is a hub of sorts (with enemies and tasks strewn around) and "missions" that replicate the boost levels.

The issue seems to always come down to creating enough assets for Sonic to blow through while making the game last longer than 3-5 hours, so I would guess an open world could be used to pad out the playtime with backtracking, similar to how Mario 64 got the most out of its level design by asking the player to go through them multiple times, sometimes with minimal changes to the map.
I think Sega is confident in Frontiers, especially if they probably paid millions of dollars to show it at the TGAs.

I don't wanna sound like a 2D loyalist or anything, but I'd actually be just as hyped to see a release date for Sonic Origins as I would be seeing the next mainline game. 😅

I haven't bought a 3D Sonic in a very long time but I am admitting that I absolutely love the lead up to a brand new game. From the glimmers of hope to the eventual "Why would you do that?" moment, I love it all.

A middling game would be worst case scenario for me.

I can enjoy a good in parts, but deeply flawed Sonic game. It just needs to be interesting.

I don't wanna sound like a 2D loyalist or anything, but I'd actually be just as hyped to see a release date for Sonic Origins as I would be seeing the next mainline game. 😅

You and me both, actually. But I have a feeling that they'll probably want to stave off having to deal with the "issue" of Sonic 3+K's OST for as long as they can.

The "pre-Jackson" tracks that were in that old beta version were more than fine by me. Have Tee Lopes touch 'em up a bit, if you need to!

That said, at best, we'll get both games showcased. But I wouldn't be surprised if tonight is just "Frontier's night".

I predict Frontiers will get the "it's a good game, but not a good Sonic game" treatment

Which is a statement that I find slightly hillarious

Funny thing is, I can easily imagine a scenario like this happening if the game is competent and actually very good, but shies away from more traditional Sonic-isms on the same token.

Kinda like the "BOTW divide" among Zelda fans (which would be fitting if Frontiers really is a much more open sandbox affair).

You and me both, actually. But I have a feeling that they'll probably want to stave off having to deal with the "issue" of Sonic 3+K's OST for as long as they can.

The "pre-Jackson" tracks that were in that old beta version were more than fine by me. Have Tee Lopes touch 'em up a bit, if you need to!
....Damn. Now I want Tee Lopes to touch up the whole OST for the entire Genesis series. 😅
Yes I know he already redid a ton of them on YouTube, and that's kinda why I'd like to see him officially do the whole dang kit and caboodle

....Damn. Now I want Tee Lopes to touch up the whole OST for the entire Genesis series. 😅
Yes I know he already redid a ton of them on YouTube, and that's kinda why I'd like to see him officially do the whole dang kit and caboodle
That's honestly something I'm hoping they'll do for this collection.

Like...there's no shortage of means to play most of the games that stand to be on this collection. Especially on PC, where fan mods have already made widescreen play a reality.

The least they can do is include remixes by Lopes, along with other designated things like Tails and Knuckles fully playable in every game, plus options to the tune of "Spindash Y/N", "Insta-shield Y/N", "Drop Dash Y/N".

Funny thing is, I can easily imagine a scenario like this happening if the game is competent and actually very good, but shies away from more traditional Sonic-isms on the same token.

Kinda like the "BOTW divide" among Zelda fans (which would be fitting if Frontiers really is a much more open sandbox affair).
Yeah, basically what I'm thinking. From what we've heard of it I think Frontiers will be a pretty major deviation from previous Sonic titles and that's bound to alienate some people even if it ends up working

Yeah, basically what I'm thinking. From what we've heard of it I think Frontiers will be a pretty major deviation from previous Sonic titles and that's bound to alienate some people even if it ends up working
This sounds good, because even though I'm a Sonic fan, I'm rather burned out on the boost formula. I'd love a shake-up, with more freedom to explore and play with speed physics.

we need to set a bar for a good 3D Sonic game first
We did. It was called Sonic Adventure and they immediately ditched the formula after the first game.

Yeah, there was a 4chan leak 6-8 months before the game was announced, under the old Sonic Rangers project name (which appears that Sega is changing the name to Frontiers), and the project sounded so radically different from what we've heard of for Sonic-specific. Open World-ish Action RPG with Platforming elements, and the concept sounded really fascinating, though the OP in the thread wasn't personally impressed. But given they have been reluctant to show it to the general public thus far, hopefully enough time has passed they ironed out the issues people had with the focus test.

That said, the reason we believe it's legit is due to 1. Coming from a focus test event and 2. They used the Sonic Rangers name before Sega accidentally leaked it in the press release and web-source for the press documents (which I assume they hid anyways, because of that leak).

Either way, we'll find out tomorrow, I suppose, how everything is going...

I’ll always maintain that Generations is an honest to God good game. It’s good. It’s well designed, engaging and doesn’t drag itself down with annoying gimmicks. The worst you can say is the side missions pad it out, but if Generations isn’t the first good 3D Sonic with zero qualifiers then I’m not sure anything ever will be.

This is a weird thing to dig up, but do yall remember Aaron Webber, aka RubyEclipse? He ran the Sonic social media for a while (he's the one who turned the official Sonic twitter into a meme-spitting snark-fest), and ran a lot of their events, acting as sort of a community liason. A year or so ago he left the social media team, having been promoted to a pretty good position in Sega of Japan (Director of Strategy, Studio & Community Relations), and ever since I've been wondering:

What are the chances that these new directions, like open-world Sonic, their announcement that they were going to spread out releases in order to give the team more time to work/polish (which is why they said Rangers/Frontiers is missing the 30th anniversary), are at least in part due to this guy who was the Sonic fan community conduit being promoted to a position within the company where he could go to high-level Sega people and say "Guys, respectfully, here's how our fans think we're fuckin up and here's what we need to change"?

I'm obviously exaggerating a bit and I know corporate crap is not that simple, but I do wonder if Aaron's fingerprints can be found on Sonic's development now.

I’ll always maintain that Generations is an honest to God good game. It’s good. It’s well designed, engaging and doesn’t drag itself down with annoying gimmicks. The worst you can say is the side missions pad it out, but if Generations isn’t the first good 3D Sonic with zero qualifiers then I’m not sure anything ever will be.
Adventure, Generations, Colors. And one half of Unleashed (but I guess that's what you meant by a "qualifier").

You know, maybe Adventures with all its kinks sorted out and more modern control and camera would be the "it" they've been looking for instead of an open world Sonic. But ya know...
I've been clamoring for a modernized Sonic Adventure for years. Honestly that's kinda what I'm hoping Sonic Frontiers is.

Also, can I just say I actually preferred the same "Sonic Rangers?" 😅

Remember the final boss from Unleashed? I think that was the only reason it was rated e10.
You mean Dark Gaia? Where they tried to out-grimdark Perfect Chaos?

I do hope it's good for the people still sticking with the games.

Thinking about the amount of sonic games I've played it's crazy to think there is probably an equal number I haven't touched.

Is Sonic 3 and Knuckles still the only game with a "hyper" character?

Geoff has pretty much announced its Frontiers and not not Origins that'll be shown off tomorrow in his reddit AMA.

Man, Frontiers AND the movie trailer tomorrow. The only way Sonic fans could be more feasting tomorrow than they already are is if we somehow got a Sonic Prime trailer too.

As someone who didn't detest Forces (actually kind of dug it a little bit, so much so that I got the Platinum trophy for it), I'm really excited to see Frontiers hopefully in action with some nice gameplay attached with it. :)

I've been clamoring for a modernized Sonic Adventure for years. Honestly that's kinda what I'm hoping Sonic Frontiers is.

Also, can I just say I actually preferred the same "Sonic Rangers?" 😅
Tbh, in my mind, a modern and really polished Sonic Adventure would be more like Mario Odyssey/Galaxy with speed rather than a full blown open world, so I don't think this is it. :(

I was so duped by Lost World

I mean, there's still a chance? But by the sound of even the name Frontiers lol, they're more focused on the open world design. Like, Rangers sounds more like the thing I wanted too lmao. So I don't know in the end.

Geoff has pretty much announced its Frontiers and not not Origins that'll be shown off tomorrow in his reddit AMA.

Man, Frontiers AND the movie trailer tomorrow. The only way Sonic fans could be more feasting tomorrow than they already are is if we somehow got a Sonic Prime trailer too.
Why did he say that lol. He is basically confirming the leaks, that's not good marketing! 🤣

Omg yall

Jim busted out the "ss'goood" from Bruce Almighty and I am beside myself

Everytime I see this thread on the front page my mind replaces Sonic with SaGa and I get briefly excited before it corrects itself.

Why did he say that lol. He is basically confirming the leaks, that's not good marketing! 🤣

When it comes to making the best out of a situation like this, you can either deny what people already know, or play it up so that people are that much surer to tune in.

After all, the latter is what matters to Keighley.

Remember the final boss from Unleashed? I think that was the only reason it was rated e10.

Mind, the enemies have bubbles of red blood come out during the Werehog segments, on top of the final boss spewing out a ton of (admittedly green) blood. It's probably one of the most violent and graphic Sonic games.

Mind, the enemies have bubbles of red blood come out during the Werehog segments, on top of the final boss spewing out a ton of (admittedly green) blood. It's probably one of the most violent and graphic Sonic games.
Ah, I forgot about that.

I'm glad they're showing Frontiers, I didn't expect them to do that so early. I hope we see gameplay and they confirm its open world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom