• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour It appears very likely Sonic Frontiers will be shown at The Game Awards

Will Sonic Frontiers be at TGA?

• Golden Ring sound effect (yes)

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Golden ring sound effect playing at agas station when you check out (no)

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabbit

Heading to Lorule? Rent your equipment here!
Thanks to @Neoxon for the info!

-http://frontiers.sonicthehedgehog.com/ gives an Access Denied error which is new as of yesterday and suggests news may be imminent

-
notes a new game has been added to the total franchise game count for Sonic.

-this tweet might be a hint from Geoff.

So, do you expect to see Sonic Frontiers at TGA?

For those who have read the rumors, how do they sound to you and what do you hope the game will be like?

Edit: another hint, thanks @Starphanluke!

Update: see threadmark for additional information indicating Sonic and even potentially Frontiers at TGA.

Update #2:

The question is whether we'll see Frontiers, Origins or both, but based on the website change, I think we'll see Frontiers at the least.

Last edited:
Give me a new transformation, that is all I ask. Make it Ultra Instinct Sonic, and call it Omega Sonic.

It won't make me watch the Game Awards, but a trailer might get me to mildly raise my hopes up until reviews come out and it's 6s and 7s across the board.

Unlikely, Sonic Team bled alot of talent after Generations. It's a shame but they don't have the people still there who made some of those older games good.
I haven't really played previous Sonic games but I've followed development and release of the last several and I'm hopeful that the massive success of the movie have Sonic Team some leverage or something to acquire more development resources.

Unlikely, Sonic Team bled alot of talent after Generations. It's a shame but they don't have the people still there who made some of those older games good.
Luckily a lot of the talent was then picked up by Nintendo, hence why Mario Odyssey was so amazing(and had great rolling physics to boot)

Anyway, we will wait and see whether or not it turns out well. I really hope they can eek out a great game. Its been some time since the last good sonic game.

Luckily a lot of the talent was then picked up by Nintendo, hence why Mario Odyssey was so amazing(and had great rolling physics to boot)

Anyway, we will wait and see whether or not it turns out well. I really hope they can eek out a great game. Its been some time since the last good sonic game.
None of the boost games have had good physics tho

is it going to be a good game?
I’m a positive guy, so I’m saying why not? It’s been so long since the last Sonic game (Sonic Mania plus). And if we get a fun game like that, I’ll play it for years. (I’ve played Sonic Mania 4 times the last 5 days).

If it is a game everyone thinks is bad, I’ll skip it (Like Sonic Forces, I never even tried it for free).

And remember that Sonic Origins is also coming. I’m hoping that will be a great collection for you @Nabbit :)

Edit: although I could be called a Sonic fans, I was never afraid of skipping games like Sonic Heroes, Shadow and Sonic 2006. But I’ve played so much of the great Sonic games over the years.

The glitches for this game could be fun, especially if it is in an open setting.

but they can have people who'd make new games good.
The biggest issue is the level design mainly. Sonic Forces had two really inexperienced level designers, one of which only had prior experience from Lost World. Call me skeptical, especially since many of their team left for places like Nintendo to work on stuff like Odyssey.

Isn't Sonic Origins much more likely to be the culprit of that Steam change? We know that's coming in 2022...

@Tailzo thanks for the mention! I was thinking about Sonic Origins too though I'm really curious about the 360 version. Not sure which I'll get the chance to try first but I'll be sure to post my experience with them!

@Tailzo thanks for the mention! I was thinking about Sonic Origins too though I'm really curious about the 360 version. Not sure which I'll get the chance to try first but I'll be sure to post my experience with them!
Please wait for Sonic Origins. The xbox 360 emulated Sonic games are not perfect, and still 4:3. I’m excited to hear your opinions, good or bad :)

Edit: If you meant Sonic Generations on xbox 360 that is 4k 60fps on Xbox series x, go for it. It is excellent, but not a collection of old games :)

Last edited:
Please wait for Sonic Origins. The xbox 360 emulated Sonic games are not perfect, and still 4:3. I’m excited to hear your opinions, good or bad :)
Thanks man! My concern is the music. I'm really curious about the original OST. So I'll be eager to learn if the music is good in the remake because it seems to be in question whether the rerelease will have the original music.

Thanks man! My concern is the music. I'm really curious about the original OST. So I'll be eager to learn if the music is good in the remake because it seems to be in question whether the rerelease will have the original music.
Sonic 3 is the big question. My guess is either they have figured out a solution, or they’ll use the tracks from the pc release of Sonic 3 back in the day.

Sonic 1&2 should be good. Sonic and Knuckles, I think so too?

Sonic 3 is the big question. My guess is either they have figured out a solution, or they’ll use the tracks from the pc release of Sonic 3 back in the day.

Sonic 1&2 should be good. Sonic and Knuckles, I think so too?
I'm intrigued to see how it turns out for sure and I can definitely see how widescreen could be amazing. Forgive my ignorance here but is it possible that Sonic 3 us one of those 2D games where expanding the viewing field to 16:9 will show the player too much of the level at once?

Oh and I did mean S3&K for 360 in that post. I'm interested in Generations too though!

Isn't Sonic Origins much more likely to be the culprit of that Steam change? We know that's coming in 2022...
That would not be big enough for a TGA reveal, I think it is Frontiers, especially with the domain name change.

I'm intrigued to see how it turns out for sure and I can definitely see how widescreen could be amazing. Forgive my ignorance here but is it possible that Sonic 3 us one of those 2D games where expanding the viewing field to 16:9 will show the player too much of the level at once?

Oh and I did mean S3&K for 360 in that post. I'm interested in Generations too though!
No, that’s not possible. Google the fan port named «Sonic 3 A.I.R.». It’s the perfect version of Sonic3&Knuckles, you only need a steam version of Sonic 3.

That would not be big enough for a TGA reveal, I think it is Frontiers, especially with the domain name change.
I think both will be present at TGAs, with the steam listing being for origins. Too early for Frontiers if it's looking like a 2023 release.

is it going to be a good game?
8%2Bball%2B-%2Bdont%2Bcount%2Bon%2Bit.png

I think both will be present at TGAs, with the steam listing being for origins. Too early for Frontiers if it's looking like a 2023 release.
It said 2022 only seven months ago, and apparently it was already delayed internally from 2021 to 2022.

It said 2022 only seven months ago, and apparently it was already delayed internally from 2021 to 2022.
We’ve waited since 15. August 2017, so 2022 or 2023 is fine. I remember Sega saying something about taking longer to develop Sonic titles, and if that means this is another game I’ll still play 5+ years after release, go for it.

It's been 10 years since the last good Sonic 3D game. I curious what Frontiers looks like but have zero expectations.

I'd be much more excited if they showed off a sequel to Mania at TGA.

I'm looking forward to the brief period of "oh wow, Sonic: Breath of the Hedgehog might actually be good"

But then it won't be. At all.

sonic forces got way too much shit for what it was. it was boring and easy. but it wasn't bad. levels weren't long or frustrating like lost world, and there wasn't a core mechanic that took away from the normal sonic stuff. it was just a sonic game like colors or generations. it needed more time in the oven, which is crazy given the four year gap between lost worlds and forces. there must have been some internal mandate to get something out.

maybe, maybe with a five year gap between forces and this new one, there will have been plenty of time figuring out what prototype to work into a full game, and time to develop those ideas into a complete game. even though forces was short, that isn't a bad thing. i wouldn't mind a shorter sonic game as long as the experience was solid.

No, that’s not possible. Google the fan port named «Sonic 3 A.I.R.». It’s the perfect version of Sonic3&Knuckles, you only need a steam version of Sonic 3.
Oh, awesome. I'm glad to know that. I really need to get cracking on some Sonic games. Do you feel like Sonic Advance is a good representation of the Genesis games? I played it about two decades ago, and I remember finding it okay, but couldn't super get into it. I do have a better appreciation for diverse types of platformers now, though.

None of the boost games have had good physics tho
That's because Sega never really gave them a good amount of time to polish. Working with Nintendo they give time to actually polish, and pursue mechanics that takes time to create.
Hot take: All of the Sonic games are actually good. I loved Forces and its character creator.
Even Sonic 06? Sonic Boom? Sonic and the Black Knight? Sonic 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom