• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour It appears very likely Sonic Frontiers will be shown at The Game Awards

Will Sonic Frontiers be at TGA?

• Golden Ring sound effect (yes)

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Golden ring sound effect playing at agas station when you check out (no)

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's because Sega never really gave them a good amount of time to polish. Working with Nintendo they give time to actually polish, and pursue mechanics that takes time to create.

Even Sonic 06? Sonic Boom? Sonic and the Black Knight? Sonic 4?
Yes. I'm based.

I think the Movie 2 trailer is what will be shown... maybe also Frontiers or Origins.

Me from now till the 9th:
ff7

Oh, awesome. I'm glad to know that. I really need to get cracking on some Sonic games. Do you feel like Sonic Advance is a good representation of the Genesis games? I played it about two decades ago, and I remember finding it okay, but couldn't super get into it. I do have a better appreciation for diverse types of platformers now, though.
No, the Sonic advance games are different. I didn’t enjoy Sonic games by dimps before Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush adventure.

Edit: Sonic Advance 1, 2 & 3 are great games, I can see that now. But back in the day they gave me that «not quite like the games I love» feeling. But when Sonic Rush released, it was it’s own thing, a whole different and awesome beast of a game. So I loved that and the sequel.

Last edited:
I'm excited to find out more details about the game. Either 1) it's a good game and i have fun with it, or 2) it's a bad game and i have fun ripping on it. Either way i;m entertained.

I'm excited to find out more details about the game. Either 1) it's a good game and i have fun with it, or 2) it's a bad game and i have fun ripping on it. Either way i;m entertained.
That’s a positive attitude, nice :)

I love Grandia btw

I will watch the Game Awards just for Sonic tbh. Can't wait for the reactions if the open world rumors are real.

I will watch the Game Awards just for Sonic tbh. Can't wait for the reactions if the open world rumors are real.
I almost never get to watch events live as a dad, but I’ll read your reaction afterwards, and watch a trailer if I can whenever I have the time. :)

By far the worst series I’ll always root for. This is gunna be the one everyone.

it won’t

No, the Sonic advance games are different. I didn’t enjoy Sonic games by dimps before Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush adventure.

Edit: Sonic Advance 1, 2 & 3 are great games, I can see that now. But back in the day they gave me that «not quite like the games I love» feeling. But when Sonic Rush released, it was it’s own thing, a whole different and awesome beast of a game. So I loved that and the sequel.

Interesting, thanks for the info! I totally forgot that I tried a little bit of Sonic Rush about 8 years ago, but I don't think I gave it enough of a chance. One more to try again if I can get into the series with one of the other games. I'm interested in the SMS Sonic games, too, though I understand they're more traditional platformers.

Interesting, thanks for the info! I totally forgot that I tried a little bit of Sonic Rush about 8 years ago, but I don't think I gave it enough of a chance. One more to try again if I can get into the series with one of the other games. I'm interested in the SMS Sonic games, too, though I understand they're more traditional platformers.
I’m a big fan of Sonic Chaos myself. I also know the very first sms Sonic game is beloved. What’s great is that they are not downports of 16-bit games, but their own games. I’d love modern ports in 16-bit graphics and widescreen. Played on a gamegear, the screen made some bosses frustrating.

Kinda like this fan remake I don’t know if will be finished

screens of the fan remake:
S0NYttC_d.webp

9W0eZR5.png

MyzvZ9v_d.webp

Last edited:
Well, at least I'll know there will be ONE thing to look forward when I wake up on friday.

The Sonic movie twitter also posted a tease this morning. I think it's for sure gonna be the Movie 2 trailer at the Game Awards, and maybe Origins. I'd love to see Frontiers gameplay but I'm not counting on it.

So, we are basically getting a 30th anniversary segment for Sonic at the TGAs?
The Game Awards 2021
Brought to you by Sega of America
Featuring Sonic the Hedgehog from the Sonic the Hedgehog series
& Knuckles

A little off topic, but if SEGA and Sonic Team wanted to release a Sonic game every year, but they did not want to affect the quality of the mainline titles, what if they approved, licensed, and distributed Sonic fan games as official releases?

A little off topic, but if SEGA and Sonic Team wanted to release a Sonic game every year, but they did not want to affect the quality of the mainline titles, what if they approved, licensed, and distributed Sonic fan games as official releases?
From what I've seen coming out of the SAGE, I'd be down. As unlikely as it sounds, if anyone would do it, it would be Sega.

Even Sonic Mania was mostly created by what used to be fans that made fan games and ports. So yeah, I’m so impressed by these fans :)
Oh yeah, I always forget the makers of Sonic Mania previously made fan games.

And in an inverse example, I think it's really cool that Maddy Thorson from ExOk games, who developed Celeste, recently released a full SMW romhack game with Sonic as the main character, and has designed a lot of SMM/2 levels I still intend to play sometime. 🙂

More smoke: Sonic Mania is on another slightly surprising 10% off sale. They did this last month or something too. I guess Sega sees the brand as stronger now, and it really is; it's just interesting to see this pricing strategy after they were doing 40% off so many times.

If Frontiers does end up being open world, I'd actually be really excited to see how Sega would approach that. Open World+Super Speed+(Hopefully) Physics could be a blast if done right.

Sonic going full open world before Mario is funny.
It's not surprising. 3D Mario games are actually really, really good, whereas Sonic Team is still trying to find a formula that works for Sonic in 3D, over 20 years since he lept into that dimension. We'll see if open-world is what finally cracks the code.

Mmhh, I like Bowser's fury but it feels more like a very big odyssey's world than a true open world mario to me.
What is an open-world Mario to you? I think there's a lot of utility to that overworld that compliments the clever design of the more vertical-slice levels.

Mmhh, I like Bowser's fury but it feels more like a very big odyssey's world than a true open world mario to me.

...what else would an open world mario be?

I don't think an even more open world than bowsers fury is even really a good idea for a 3d platformer, and the "open" parts of Bowsers fury really didn't strike me as better than the options we would have seen in say, Mario galaxy where you just get dumped at the start of the objective and go get it.

So, since it's a rather mediocre idea, it makes complete sense that sonic team would be the ones to try it.

They said it's the movie trailer and "the next game" which I think means we'll be seeing more of Sonic Origins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom