• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Is it safe to say Pikmin 4 has the best visuals on Switch?

Is that glass they're carrying in the Pikmin image? The opacity is kind of bugging me, and I think it's because such materials were different before?
Nope, not glass, that's just... bog standard raw materials, you collect it and it's used to build stuff for you inventory as well as bridge pieces.

Can confirm: based on the visual evidence presented herein, these do appear to be visually-appealing games.

Is that glass they're carrying in the Pikmin image? The opacity is kind of bugging me, and I think it's because such materials were different before?

Just imagine this Luigi's Mansion with the stylistic flair of the original game. Maybe that's just me missing the aesthetic.

I'm very interested to see what Retro's new Metroid offering is going to look -- and play! -- like.
Sea-Glass-for-Blog-740.jpg

I can see that making sense, visually.
I'm quite looking forward to actually experiencing this game -- I'm not sure about some things I've heard about, but it overall sounds great -- though I suspect it'll be a little while yet.

I appreciate that a number of titles can be thrown around in contention for best visuals on Switch, based on any number of factors. Part of me wants to see what marvels could be created with continued Switch development, but I recognize things need to move on eventually.

I don't understand this opinion. LM3 is a good looking game, but far from the best on Switch.
Have you seen the game, have you played it? It’s the closest thing I’ve played to a live animation. Given the hardware it’s an amazing achievement. Not just the graphics but the animations of Luigi are top notch. It’s a very impressive game.

Have you seen the game, have you played it? It’s the closest thing I’ve played to a live animation. Given the hardware it’s an amazing achievement. Not just the graphics but the animations of Luigi are top notch. It’s a very impressive game.
Animation in LM3 marvelous, but I don't think the game is technically impressive. It's some backgrounds with great animation and it runs technically flawlessly for what it is but that should be expected for such a game on a console like Switch.

Technically impressive are games Games like Hellblade, Alien Isolation, Mario Odyssey, Astral Chain, Sniper Elite IV, Zombie Army IV and of course BotW and TotK.

There are other games that look great and are technically great too, like recently Red Dead Redemption, but this performance should be expected.

I don't know if anything has stood out so aggressively on Switch (partially due to the power limits) that I can choose one that is the for sure best looking. Usually it's just like "oh this looks good for something that's running on an old iPad."

Though maybe I'll go with Smash? I looks a bit rough when paused sometimes but in motion, between the game's performance and the character animations, it might be the most impressive.

Animation in LM3 marvelous, but I don't think the game is technically impressive. It's some backgrounds with great animation and it runs technically flawlessly for what it is but that should be expected for such a game on a console like Switch.

Technically impressive are games Games like Hellblade, Alien Isolation, Mario Odyssey, Astral Chain, Sniper Elite IV, Zombie Army IV and of course BotW and TotK.

There are other games that look great and are technically great too, like recently Red Dead Redemption, but this performance should be expected.
It seems like this is becoming more of an art style conversation. To me LM3 is one of the best looking games not just in switch but any console this gen. To each their own though.

Played it to completion on portable. Perhaps docked it looks significantly better?
It's a fine looking game but I never felt amazed by its visuals.

I'm gonna guess you just haven't bothered to look at Metroid Prime Remastered yet OP.

Pikmin 4 does look nice from what I've seen but Prime Remastered takes the cake imo.

Surprised at the Prime remastered posts because that looks markedly worse than a ton of other games mentioned here

I’m not totally in love with the look of Pikmin 4. There’s stuff that looks fantastic and other stuff, especially when the camera is pulled back which is how I prefer to play, that looks a bit too fuzzy for me even for what they are going for. The game comes across more uneven than I’d like. Having a blast with it though regardless.

Prime Remastered manages to look at good as it does while running at double the frame rate of LM3 or Pikmin 4.

It's honestly ridiculous the level of flexing Retro are showing off with that game. It looks as good as a PS4 game, while running at 60fps. It's as much of a tech showcase as the original was for GameCube.

Luigi's Mansion looks incredible as well, but it's half the frame rate.

We did, like last week.

Next to Luigi's Mansion and Metroid Prime above I think Pikmin 4 is easily the loser. Luigi and Metroid have strong art styles and environments dense with detail, Pikmin 4 occasionally has impressively realistic objects but the overall look of its environments is often relatively boring even compared to Pikmin 3.
Disagree, 4 looks way better than 3

Metroid Prime Remastered not long is the best looking imo but it runs at a rock solid 60fps so it's no contest for me. Pikmin 4 does look very nice though.

Played it to completion on portable. Perhaps docked it looks significantly better?
It's a fine looking game but I never felt amazed by its visuals.
I personally feel you need to play it on a big screen. But to each their own. I was blown away by the game and I still am. Probably the only switch titles I’ve played through again just for the visuals.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion there is no clear winner. For me it’s LM3. To each their own.

Back
Top Bottom