• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Is it safe to say Pikmin 4 has the best visuals on Switch?

DongBeetle

Rattata
As we know Pikmin 4 came out and has been a huge hit, outselling even the latest Final Fantasy in some major regions. However, something I rarely see mentioned is just how fucking nuts this game looks. I think Pikmin 4 is by far the best looking game on the platform, even to the point where it looks like it's running on more powerful hardware like a PS5 or XSX. Should Nintendo use Unreal Engine more?

The pictures you included in the OP are mindblowing indeed, best graphics on Switch.

I didn't buy it yet but there are some amazing looking games as well on Switch like Mario Kart 8DX, Mario Odyssey, Luigi's Mansion 3, Smash Bros, Monster Hunter Rise, Astral Chain, Metroid Prime Remaster.

Nah, Luigi's Mansion 3 still has that honor. It's gonna be really hard to top that, the game looks superb even by PS4 standards.

It could be, but it depends on what you're looking for. It doesn't have the asset density of a game like Splatoon 3, the physics of Luigi's Mansion, the incredible animations of Metroid Dread, or the sheer style of Astral Chain or Paper Mario. Everyone's eyes are different

it would be if they didn't bring back the horrible wiggly tentacle legs on the onions. i don't wanna see that. what was wrong with the wooden stick legs

really though, the sandcastle level is just unbelievable. looks as close to photorealism (which imo is perfect for pikmin) as nintendo's ever gotten in certain areas

iu
iu

My favourite looking Switch game is Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and The Lost Demon. Pikmin 4 does have elements of photorealism, but Cereza's game is more visually pleasing and works perfectly within the limitations of the Switch so edges don't look blurry or jagged.

No, it's not safe. Because if you do that Luigi will break into your house to have a word with you due to how you forgot to give his game the proper laurels.

And you don't want that to happen. Trust me.

But yeah, Pikmin 4 looks stunning!

It could be, but it depends on what you're looking for. It doesn't have the asset density of a game like Splatoon 3, the physics of Luigi's Mansion, the incredible animations of Metroid Dread, or the sheer style of Astral Chain or Paper Mario. Everyone's eyes are different
Lol what do you mean asset density? Pikmin 4 has a shit ton of unique assets. Definitely much higher enemy variety. Pikmin 4 doesnt have good animations?

it would be if they didn't bring back the horrible wiggly tentacle legs on the onions. i don't wanna see that. what was wrong with the wooden stick legs

really though, the sandcastle level is just unbelievable. looks as close to photorealism (which imo is perfect for pikmin) as nintendo's ever gotten in certain areas

iu
iu
Lol yeah I"m suspecting the answers are gonna pretty cleanly divide between played the game vs hasn't played the game. I could not believe what I was seeing at times

Actually yeah, my girlfriend thought this and prime remastered were ps4 games when she first saw me playing then

Pyra and Mythra from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 look better than anything in Pikmin series.

It’s in the top 3 with Luigi’s Mansion 3 and Paper Mario Origami King. I don’t understand how people think Metroid Prime Remastered is one of the best looking switch games when it is a gamecube remaster that, while it does look better than the original, still have some muddy textures and low poly structures.

It's definitely one of the best, but I'm not sure if it would take the top spot if I had to sit down and look at all of Nintendo's output for the system to make an actual Top 10 list or something.

Also, didn't we just have this thread?

I've only played the demo, but the visuals are very impressive. I don't know if they're the best on Switch, but it's certainly up there.

Lol yeah I"m suspecting the answers are gonna pretty cleanly divide between played the game vs hasn't played the game. I could not believe what I was seeing at times
I have not played Pikmin 4 and there are a grand total of two pictures with no video in this thread so far. I have played Origami King, Splatoon 2, Splatoon 3, Astral Chain, BOTW, TotK, Torna, Xenoblade 3, and ARMS, all of which look more impressive than what I've seen of Pikmin 4 in marketing so far.

If you have images/video that you believe would change minds, I think I speak on behalf of others when I say I'd welcome new evidence.

I think it is. Way better than Luigi’s Mansion 3 if you ask me, that one never impressed me

I have 15 hours in the game so far. It merely looks okay.

I think it looks quite nice, but not sure if I'd put it in the top 10 on the system. There are some weak spots, like how the fruit looks worse than the fruit from Pikmin 3 ten years ago.

It looks excellent, but “best visuals” is incredibly subjective. Some people will prefer stylized visuals (I.E. Paper Mario) regardless of how graphically intensive they are. Others will prefer more impressive world design over sheer visual fidelity and detail (Zelda/Xenoblade). It’s all preference.

I slot it pretty similarly to Luigi’s Mansion 3 in terms of how impressive the visuals are, in any case.

It's definitely one of the best, but I'm not sure if it would take the top spot if I had to sit down and look at all of Nintendo's output for the system to make an actual Top 10 list or something.

Also, didn't we just have this thread?
We did, like last week.

Next to Luigi's Mansion and Metroid Prime above I think Pikmin 4 is easily the loser. Luigi and Metroid have strong art styles and environments dense with detail, Pikmin 4 occasionally has impressively realistic objects but the overall look of its environments is often relatively boring even compared to Pikmin 3.

Switch has a lot of visually striking games. 1st party stuff obvioiusly comes to mind and tend to find a good balance between near native resolution and visual polish.

But 3rd party titles like the Crysis games, Dying Light etc, operate in the 'this looks great and comparable to 100watt home consoles' sorcery territory. I'd even throw in Witcher 3 in there. The cutbacks are obvious, but this was the definition of a good looking game and it's on Switch.

In terms of how clean it looks it's up there with LM3, but these games are not as impressive as TOTK visually to me, the same way fmv games were not as impressive as early polygonal games to me (even though they may have had aspects that register as more immediately impressive to the eye).

There is not as much going on from a systems point of view, Nintendo is crunching their biggest numbers with TOTK, which manages to be incredibly beautiful (more so than BOTW) while also being a lot deeper than games like LM3 or Pikmin from a systems point of view.

Last edited:
straight up no

and it's like really important to acknowledge scale with these. stuff like TOTK and XB3 are drastically more technically impressive for looking as excellent as they do while maintaining a massive scale n being far more ambitious under the hood

beyond that in terms of low scale games i'd say ARMS is still the cleanest look at 60fps. really really sleek stuff for the Switch

Did my best to find good pics.

Boilerworks_Storage_Room.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg
Wait, maybe it is just me but I just realized that the new Peach game looks pretty similar to Luigi's Mansion 3 art style.
Not just the art style but the environment, the camera angle, character proportion, etc...
Ofc, the Peach game looks more barebone atm but it is still early. Wonder if Next Level has some kinda involvement?

Wait, maybe it is just me but I just realized that the new Peach game looks pretty similar to Luigi's Mansion 3 art style.
Not just the art style but the environment, the camera angle, character proportion, etc...
Ofc, the Peach game looks more barebone atm but it is still early. Wonder if Next Level has some kinda involvement?
Lol yeah Next Level Games has been one of the companies speculated to be making it. It’s them, Intelligent Systems, EPD

Nah. LM3, MPR, TotK, Origami King, and possibly Astral Chain all impress me more just off the top of my head.

Did my best to find good pics.

P4_Collecting_Materials_in_Playground_Area.jpg

P4_Desert_Area.jpg

P4_Display_Area_Cave.png

P4_Giant%27s_Hearth.jpg

Boilerworks_Storage_Room.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

luigis-mansion-3-dlc-r-11.jpg

01pt198dh1SkhRCoJo7VGh0-3.fit_lim.size_1920x.jpg

01pt198dh1SkhRCoJo7VGh0-4.fit_lim.size_1920x.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Can confirm: based on the visual evidence presented herein, these do appear to be visually-appealing games.

Is that glass they're carrying in the Pikmin image? The opacity is kind of bugging me, and I think it's because such materials were different before?

Just imagine this Luigi's Mansion with the stylistic flair of the original game. Maybe that's just me missing the aesthetic.

I'm very interested to see what Retro's new Metroid offering is going to look -- and play! -- like.

Luigi's Mansion 3 and Prime Remaster impressed me more personally, visually and performance wise.

Back
Top Bottom