• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions Is Another "Ocarina Of Time" Remake Inevitable?

Another remake?

• Total voters
I'm not sure I follow the logic of a linear Zelda somehow being more costly. If anything it should cheaper, as it would be a smaller world, no physics engine, a smaller more constrained amount of items and weapons, and so on. Even a slightly more modern OOT remake (not on FF7R level that's never gonna happen) should probably, on paper at least, be cheaper than another open air Zelda.

Also didn't Aonuma literally say the future of the series is undetermined? We simply don't know how the series will evolve, if anything I think the most logical progression would be a combination of the two styles, something to please everyone, which yes can exist and yes can be made.
I think the idea is the prophet difference. BotW style is obviously more costly, but it sees a greater return

Miitopia and Luigi's Mansion 2 Switch versions are kind of "remastermakes" already since they have touched up geometry.

I think something like this for OoT 3D is the best case scenario. Let Grezzo use the exact same aesthetic but with higher poly counts and better textures/lighting/resolution. It would be perfect.

I don't think a full remake or let alone a "reimagining" like FF VII is happening nor I think it should. At most, give a full visual remake with new control schemes and with moveable camera in the pre-rendered parts(so a similar effort to MPR) and you're done.

I voted yes because I think a 1:1 remake/remaster of OoT 3D is happening soon.

I'm not sure I follow the logic of a linear Zelda somehow being more costly. If anything it should cheaper, as it would be a smaller world, no physics engine, a smaller more constrained amount of items and weapons, and so on. Even a slightly more modern OOT remake (not on FF7R level that's never gonna happen) should probably, on paper at least, be cheaper than another open air Zelda.

Also didn't Aonuma literally say the future of the series is undetermined? We simply don't know how the series will evolve, if anything I think the most logical progression would be a combination of the two styles, something to please everyone, which yes can exist and yes can be made.

Of course, the series continued to evolve after Ocarina of Time, but I think it's also fair to say now that we've arrived at Breath of the Wild and the new type of more open play and freedom that it affords. Yeah, I think it's correct to say that it has created a new kind of format for the series to proceed from.

My point was more about how trying to make a game like that alongside the open world games isn't feasible, and neither is dropping the open world style to make a linear game. The complicated, puzzle-oriented dungeons of old games took extensive manhours to develop, with the problem being that they could not be replayed or reused and often players would either get stuck on them or look up walkthroughs for them, and then having less to no resources to develop a thriving overworld. Making a 30-40 hour wide linear dungeon-driven 3D Zelda in HD would be a huge project that would likely ultimately be similar, if slightly less, in cost and time to an open world Zelda, while selling significantly less overall. The opportunity cost just isn't there.

I'm definitely on team "they won't do a big reimagining of it" because outside of the first few Metroid games they pretty much never do that. Games like Metroid, Resident Evil, etc. have such specific characters that it kind of makes sense to do remakes of certain games that are less accessible, in several senses of the word, than other installments. If you're doing the story of how Leon or Claire first encountered zombies, it makes sense it'd be a reimagining of the original RE2. But in Zelda there's less weight placed on specific storylines and iterations of characters in the grand scheme of things, so doing a Breath of the Wild-style Ocarina of Time would probably just end up feeling like a new game entirely, rather than a reimagining of a previous game. Big characters like Zelda, Impa, and Ganondorf, and supporting characters like Tingle, Beedle, and Malon, already exist in a number of different variations, so it's tougher to see a justification for revisiting specific incarnations instead of just using them as inspiration for new versions of the characters. It would be cool to see the Sage Medallion magic system they originally intended to implement in Ocarina of Time, but the way Zelda/Nintendo works, an attempt at reimagining a specific game in the series in a substantial way would probably turn out more like A Link Between Worlds. But I do think they will probably do an HD version of it eventually, whether it's a port of the 3D version or not. But it'll be faithful to the gameplay and story/characters/setting like almost every Nintendo remake.

I think that before BotW(or maybe Smash Wii U/3DS?) Skyward Sword was most likely the most expensive game Nintendo had ever done by a fair amount (Smash Brawl and Other M tho could've been close).

Reimagining OoT would cost almost as much as BotW did probably. If anything because it'd need a whole lot of big assets, imagine the nightmare to redo those giant dungeons in a scale similar to that of BotW.

The only recent example I think would be comparable to the effort needed would be Resident Evil 4, and that game surely costed bonkers to make.

OoT is highly regarded as one of the best games of all time and still the best to many, you don't need to mess with perfection. Just redo 1:1 like Metroid Prime Remastered at most and you'll see.

Tbh OoT 3D kind of already did that. Someone that's more educated about its code can tell me if it's more of 1:1 remake were every asset was remade or if they remade and touched up the models of key assets like Link and the characters and some buildings but reused something of the original with better textures(like Xenoblade DE did)?

nintendo is turning on the 3ds ports faucet so it's inevitable
7v1mhk.jpg

I feel like we're gonna reach a point in the not too distant future(like less time from now in the future than the 3DS version is in the past) where AI can do most of the work for something along the lines of a 1:1 remake

everything with enough name value to be worth releasing is inevitable and Ocaraina of Time definitely qualifies by that metric

Oh for sure. They have teams that port the Zelda games and have remade some of them already before the franchise exploded. Now that there is newfound sale potential for the series, they will def capitalize on that. SS HD sold over 4 million copies, you can def be sure they will port OoT and probably Majora's mask to their next system.

Another reason why they should do it : the next Zelda game probably won't be out until mid-life of the next system. So chances we see a 2D Zelda game and another remake and ports (TP/WW) are just 100% likely. They release a game a year and will have to get something out for the next 4-5 years.

I feel like we're gonna reach a point in the not too distant future(like less time from now in the future than the 3DS version is in the past) where AI can do most of the work for something along the lines of a 1:1 remake
If Nintendo ever makes an AI remake of OOT I will go to their HQ and hit their servers with a baseball bat

No doubt about it. They remade Pokemon Gen 1 twice because that's the one people remember best. OoT is the one most people (in general, not hardcores I would say) remember as being the best one so it's one of those that will probably get remade a few times. I think (as others have said) something like Twilight Princess would be a more interesting remake since that game isn't as universally loved and deserves a second chance, but I could definitely see a sequence in the future where Zelda games are either new BotW style games or remakes of the old style of Zelda.

Yeah but all assets were remade, I can see them doing the same for OoT - by that I mean it's possible, for some reason I don't expect them to do it.
MPR and OoT 3D both had completely remade assets, I would expect the same for any OoT 4K.

For real tho, I'd be over the moon just having OOT3D and MM3D ported to the switch. While they're at it throw in ALBW.

As great as a full on remake would be, I'm more than willing to just have the 3DS version

For real tho, I'd be over the moon just having OOT3D and MM3D ported to the switch. While they're at it throw in ALBW.

As great as a full on remake would be, I'm more than willing to just have the 3DS version
People keep saying "port the 3DS versions," but I'm not sure what that means.

The interface of the 3DS versions was based around dual screens, so you already have to completely alter that.

If it's just about graphics... those won't hold up in 4K. I know people like to claim they do, but no, if you're actually trying to sell the games as standalone products, 3DS models and textures won't be good enough.

So they would need to change the interface, and change all the graphics... not sure how that's a 3DS port at that point. I think it's far more likely they just remaster OoT with all-new assets. Of course they can keep or improve on QoL improvements from the 3DS games (camera PLEASE) but I don't think straight 3DS ports are possible.

Reminder that the N64 version had better cinematics than the 3DS update.

IMG-8003.jpg
I just assumed they brightened up dark scenes to increase visibility on a 3.5 inch 240p screen with already poor 3D viewing angles on the original model.

Right, because again, they need to look good on a small portable screen and not on a circa 1997 television.

Really strange tone and position to take. It’s not that deep.

It’s a quite light hearted take that the cinematics looked better in the original. Because again, not just in terms of lighting but in framing as well in fact. That’s nothing to do with the portable screen, it’s about direction.

Just my opinion.

I would accept it, Nintendo hasn't rereleased Master Quest for quite a while since it was last rereleased on the 3DS.

The more I think about a remake of OoT the more I realize I would want a 50/50 situation of doing what FF7R did with changing things up, but leaving some things the way they were.

Last edited:
Really strange tone and position to take. It’s not that deep.

It’s a quite light hearted take that the cinematics looked better in the original. Because again, not just in terms of lighting but in framing as well in fact. That’s nothing to do with the portable screen, it’s about direction.

Just my opinion.
Hey, you claimed one was better than the other with a single screenshot point of comparison as if that's definitive. :p

I think it’ll happen. If not, at least the 3DS version with higher resolution/improved textures.

Hey, you claimed one was better than the other with a single screenshot point of comparison as if that's definitive. :p

I’ve just always loved that Ganon cinematic. It might be my favourite monument in the entire series so I’ve always been picky about how it was shown. I still think 3D is the best version overall though tbh.

Why wouldn’t they just port ocarina of time 3D with an HD upscale? It worked really well for Luigi’s mansion 2

They might do at some point. I’d prefer a Crash/Spyro style visual update but could totally see the 3D version given a polish and released on Switch/Switch2.

That’s nothing to do with the portable screen, it’s about direction.
It does have to do with both the portability and the 3D feature. Several cinematics were either zoomed in for visibility or reshot to add depth. The developers have discussed both the 3D and increased framerate as challenges when converting the original code and readjusting visuals. Ocarina 3D feels heavily tied to the 3DS and I think an HD conversion would need more work put into it, like increased FOV and model quality and redoing animations.

I don't like the lighting and framing changes on the Ganon cutscene either but when rewatching it you can tell they wanted his arm and the Triforce to 'pop out'.

I'd be perfectly fine with a 3DS port tbh, but my dream scenario would be a full on remake that adds content and makes it connect better lore-wise to SS, TP, WW, ALttP, and should they choose to canonize it as being before OOT, the TotK memories. It wouldn't need a ton of overt references just some small things here, like a character mentioning the Interlopers or some Zonai ruins here and there.

It does have to do with both the portability and the 3D feature. Several cinematics were either zoomed in for visibility or reshot to add depth. The developers have discussed both the 3D and increased framerate as challenges when converting the original code and readjusting visuals. Ocarina 3D feels heavily tied to the 3DS and I think an HD conversion would need more work put into it, like increased FOV and model quality and redoing animations.

I don't like the lighting and framing changes on the Ganon cutscene either but when rewatching it you can tell they wanted his arm and the Triforce to 'pop out'.
The same also holds true for MM3D. The changes made to cinematic framing and the game's lighting weren't just because the devs felt like it. They needed the game to be visually readable and for the 3D elements to pop on the handheld.

Why wouldn’t they just port ocarina of time 3D with an HD upscale? It worked really well for Luigi’s mansion 2
3DS graphics are not gonna hold up in 4K. Like I think it's fine for Luigi's Mansion just to get the whole series onto the Switch, but you don't want 3DS graphics for a flagship title on your new 4K console. I think any OoT remake at this point would have entirely new graphics, just like Metroid Prime Remastered.

No, in fact I think it's unlikely.

OoT 3D already isn't a remake and I don't see Nintendo ever putting the resources into an actual AAA remake instead of a new game for this particular franchise. I feel the same about SM64. That is, unless Nintendo's philosophy changes radically.

Now if we're talking about a rerelease or remaster like 3D was, then yes, it's inevitable.

I have no doubt it'll happen eventually, it's one of those "FF7 remake" level desires that floats around the mainstream consciousness. Nintendo is fully aware of what sort of reverence and nostalgia there is around OoT, a full modern updated remake would be so marketable compared to what would be viewed as a "lazy" polished port of the 3DS remaster. I don't at all agree with the view that those versions ruined the games, but even back then it felt like they could've polished it up significantly more.

The original Legend of Zelda is a brilliant game and I still recommend that to people as the first Zelda they should play. I suspect a remake of Ocarina is going to happen because it's a classic but I'd rather they do a 3D remade version of Zelda 1 instead.

The same also holds true for MM3D. The changes made to cinematic framing and the game's lighting weren't just because the devs felt like it. They needed the game to be visually readable and for the 3D elements to pop on the handheld.
Yup. Even with the necessary changes for the 3DS, the remasters adhere to the original concept art. I never understood the complaints that they 'Disney-fied' the graphics. Even the original game looks bright and saturated when played on a CRT with its natural bloom and color.

66_3DS_Zelda-Ocarina-of-Time-3D_Artwork_66.jpg
the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3-ds.900x.jpg

ElLZcgKXUAA1hAY.jpg
screen03.jpg

If an 'HD port' of the 3DS version were to happen, it would need more work put into it. The 3D version has a decreased FOV, and character models and textures are detailed for the 240p handheld screen. Even with an HD texture pack in Citra, the visuals are blocky and zoomed in when you play in 1080p. This was a home console game crammed into a handheld, and Ocarina was always intended as a grand experience. If they re-release it, I don't want it to feel like I'm emulating it on Citra.

They might use Grezzo's models as a base, but the result would probably end up like TP/WW/SS HD where they did end up expanding the camera and touching up character models. Though I would love a Prime Remastered level of visual remake with adjusted lighting.

The original Legend of Zelda is a brilliant game and I still recommend that to people as the first Zelda they should play. I suspect a remake of Ocarina is going to happen because it's a classic but I'd rather they do a 3D remade version of Zelda 1 instead.
A 3D version of Zelda I? Or like the remake they did of Links awakening?

Yup. Even with the necessary changes for the 3DS, the remasters adhere to the original concept art. I never understood the complaints that they 'Disney-fied' the graphics. Even the original game looks bright and saturated when played on a CRT with its natural bloom and color.

66_3DS_Zelda-Ocarina-of-Time-3D_Artwork_66.jpg
the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3-ds.900x.jpg

ElLZcgKXUAA1hAY.jpg
screen03.jpg

If an 'HD port' of the 3DS version were to happen, it would need more work put into it. The 3D version has a decreased FOV, and character models and textures are detailed for the 240p handheld screen. Even with an HD texture pack in Citra, the visuals are blocky and zoomed in when you play in 1080p. This was a home console game crammed into a handheld, and Ocarina was always intended as a grand experience. If they re-release it, I don't want it to feel like I'm emulating it on Citra.

They might use Grezzo's models as a base, but the result would probably end up like TP/WW/SS HD where they did end up expanding the camera and touching up character models. Though I would love a Prime Remastered level of visual remake with adjusted lighting.
Yeah, 3DS OOT is definitely meant to emulate Yusuke Nakano's artwork more than anything. While there are some instances where I prefer the visuals of the N64 and its darker, moodier lighting, I still think overall the 3DS version is the definitive way to play the game.

Maybe they can include some of the cut dialogue from the game. Miyamoto alluded to it in a old interview. I'm paraphrasing but it was something like this:

NAVI: Zelda! Listen! By doing this you realize you are now creating two different timelines!
ZELDA: Sure I am, Navi.
LINK: Yeah, you can ignore her babe. But what's she mean by different timelines?
ZELDA: toot toooot Toot toot toooot Toot
LINK: Babe?

What about that supposed leak for the last Direct? Dude was right on Princess Peach Showtime and other games and it included OoT!

Back
Top Bottom