• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions Is Another "Ocarina Of Time" Remake Inevitable?

Another remake?

• Total voters

SpaceGodzilla

Did You Get that Thing I Sent You?
Pronouns
him
I've seen some talk on here about another Oot remake on the next console, weather it be a from the ground up remake with new/changed content like FF7R, or a 1 to 1 remake like link's awakening, do you think it'll happen?

Yeah. It's too influential and well regarded not to get another remake at some point. But I doubt it'll happen on the next console or even the one after that.

I do think it'd be closer to BOTW with a FFVII Remake level overhaul eventually though not entirely BOTW-like keeping the dungeon style and a not fully open story and things like that.

If it is on the next console though then it'd probably be more 1:1 or even more like a in-depth remaster.

Last edited:
I don't think it's that inevitable. Nintendo hasn't done a lot of full-on remakes of their games. Remasters? HD versions with a little extra content? Sure. But have they ever taken something as iconic as Ocarina of Time and done a full blown remake? I can't think of anything.

Probably, but we haven't seen Nintendo do much with their N64 games besides 3DS ports.

Once they do start going with HD remakes from that library, I'd imagine that Ocarina of Time would be at the top of the list.

I guess if you wait long enough anything could happen. But I don't foresee it happening anytime soon. So voted no

I wouldn’t expect anything more than a remaster or graphical upgrade like the 3ds version. A full on remake is unlikely. It’s not something Nintendo does so much. And ocarina of time isn’t like FFVII or resident evil 2. A remake wouldn’t bring as many changes or upgrades.

Any reasonable amount of effort toward remaking Ocarina of Time would be better spent just making a new game, which is what they'll do.

Remaking OoT and deviating in any significant way would detract from the original intended experience, since OoT was extremely straightforward with no real filler. If it's just enhanced visuals, then they already did that with the 3DS remake, and they'll soon port that over at a higher resolution than jump down the OoT well a second time.

its kinda a game of the times. if u remake that scope in a current engine I dont think it will translate well it just feels very off and yes I am aware of unreal 4/5 attempts and again a lot of that game stems from the limits of that era. in the end you would need to reimagine the entire game from the ground up I feel which would take away from its charm.

a 3ds upscale would make most sense for oot and mm.

I think it’s inevitable, yeah. It’s their crown jewel. They did it once and I think they’ll want to do it again.

My mind was blown when I read that next year OoT 3DS will be as old as OoT N64 was when OoT 3DS released.

I think it’ll happen on Switch 2. That gives it ~8 years from today for it to happen. A lot of 3DS games will get remasters but I don’t think they’ll bring OoT forward in that way.

Any reasonable amount of effort toward remaking Ocarina of Time would be better spent just making a new game, which is what they'll do.
The thing is they can have another team remake it again, just like they did with OoT and MM on 3DS. The only team that would make a new game is the Zelda team, and they’re going to be working on “open air 3.”

As a reminder

Ocarina of Time came out on the N64 in 1998

The 3ds remake came out June 2011, ~13 ish years after the original

Next year is 2024, which is 13 years after that 3ds version.

Anyone who thinks it's been "too soon" has lost sense of time.

I doubt they'll ever do a full on remake, but man, I would LOVE a remake made from the ground up which incorporates a ton of unused ideas which were found over the decades within the game itself and which were shared to the public by the developer.

As a reminder

Ocarina of Time came out on the N64 in 1998

The 3ds remake came out June 2011, ~13 ish years after the original

Next year is 2024, which is 13 years after that 3ds version.

Anyone who thinks it's been "too soon" has lost sense of time.
To be fair game generations and also the time to make them are quite long these days. Sure, March 2024 will be 13 years after the 3DS version. It’ll also still only be on the previous generation of Nintendo platforms.

I reckon we’ll see something done with Ocarina of Time to update it at some point. But then I think we’ll see LTTP or the original Zelda or the Adventure of Link reimagined at some point too. It’s not like remakes of any of the pre-HD Zelda games are off the table on a long enough timescale.

Nintendo has outright said returning to the old style of Zelda games isn't feasible, and remaking OOT would be as big of an undertaking as a new linear Zelda. They can just remaster the 3DS version and call it a day.

I think I'd rather see them give Ocarina of Time the A Link Between Worlds treatment. Set it in the same Hyrule but with a whole new story, dungeon design, and progression system.

That said, a remake or remaster is probably more likely than what I just described.

I feel like taking the general style of OOT 3D is enough right there. We have precedence for 3DS remasters already with Miitopia and Luigi's Mansion 2.

To be fair game generations and also the time to make them are quite long these days. Sure, March 2024 will be 13 years after the 3DS version. It’ll also still only be on the previous generation of Nintendo platforms.

I reckon we’ll see something done with Ocarina of Time to update it at some point. But then I think we’ll see LTTP or the original Zelda or the Adventure of Link reimagined at some point too. It’s not like remakes of any of the pre-HD Zelda games are off the table on a long enough timescale.
It would be weird if Switch 2 didn't get some kind of new OoT release, virtually every Nintendo platform where it was feasible did

GC: Got both the OoT/MQ disc and released as part of the Zelda collection
Wii: Was one of the earliest games added to the Wii VC
WiiU: Was one of the first n64 games added to the WiiU VC
3DS: Had the remake
Switch: Was part of the N64 launch line up on NSO

It only missed the GBA (lol), and the DS (technically feasible as SM64 showed us). Since I doubt they'll be doing NSO 2.0 on the Switch successor (and if they do so held me gawd I will fly to Nintendo and slap everyone), it's actually the ideal system to make another new version. It doesn't have to be as crazy as an FF7R style remake, but I think we'll see something more then just OoT 3D HD.

I’ll vote yes but it will be a long while from now. Todays Nintendo leadership will not be their leadership 40 years from now.

I've seen some talk on here about another Oot remake on the next console, weather it be a from the ground up remake with new/changed content like FF7R, or a 1 to 1 remake like link's awakening, do you think it'll happen?
Yes.

It’s easy money for Nintendo.

Personally, unless Nintendo makes some significant changes, an Ocarina of Time remake is gonna be a no for me, dawg. A graphics update is coolio and all, but I don’t need another version of this game that plays mostly the same as my 1998 cartridge.

For the most part, the temple designs are still good. The puzzles hold up. Keeping much of that or heavily drawing inspiration from them would be important as far as staying true to Ocarina of Time. Something like the Resident Evil 4 remake would be a good approach. While a lot of it is very familiar, there are enough changes and modern touches to justify revisiting the world in a new way without feeling like a completely different experience.

Yes, the 3ds remake almost doesn't count considering it was only really relevant for the 3ds, it's not something like the metroid prime remaster where it can just be re-released on new hardware

No, and if it does happen it won’t be the presented as the giant next big thing that people probably want it to be.

The series is just so much bigger than OoT now - in terms of sales and the actual open air games themselves

It would be a 1:1 Link’s Awakening kinda thing that they let an external studio have a go at, not a full blown ambitious remake by EPD themselves. They are going to be on the open air game train

I think it's inevitable we'll get an HD Port of OOT/MM HD next gen.

When WW/TP are out, they'll have to get something out to fill the now 6-7 years we have in between 3D Zeldas, and the well has been tapped of 3D games that arent already on the system.

As for a full, ground up FFVII style remake? I think someday, but not for a loooooong time. Again, it's taking so long to develop 3D games now, until technology gets to the point where that changes, I dont think it's worth it for Nintendo to invest all that time into a remake.

Plus, OOT 3D upscaled looks STUNNING. I dont think we'll ever need anything else
oot_3d_hd_08szu39.jpg

oot_3d_hd_09c8u01.jpg
oot_3d_hd_11ziuyo.jpg

I could be misremembering, but someone at Nintendo already showed their position when asked about a Super Mario 64 remake (which, frankly, would get priority over Ocarina of Time).. saying they already have done that on SM64DS.

Having two remakes of same game is pretty redundant either way (with Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee being the one situation I remember recently... with FireRed/LeafGreen already existing); They could always port the 3DS version up and call it a day. It's perfectly serviceble.

Then again.. you have Star Fox.. with 64, 64 3D and Zero all being based on the SNES original..

I think we could get one in the Crash or Spyro style where it’s the same game but with entirely new graphics.

Something like this but more stylised:

Daaaaaamn! Somebody put A LOT of work in that. Very impressive!

No, and if it does happen it won’t be the presented as the giant next big thing that people probably want it to be.

The series is just so much bigger than OoT now - in terms of sales and the actual open air games themselves

It would be a 1:1 Link’s Awakening kinda thing that they let an external studio have a go at, not a full blown ambitious remake by EPD themselves.
Yeah I don't think people realize that OOT is peanuts compared to where the series is nowadays. It's also a game that's been rereleased numerous times over the last 25 years, there isn't a huge untapped market for a remake of this game. They can remaster the 3DS version and probably sell it for a cool 3-4 million, rather than putting in countless manhours painstakingly recreating it in HD.

I could be misremembering, but someone at Nintendo already showed their position when asked about a Super Mario 64 remake (which, frankly, would get priority over Ocarina of Time).. saying they already have done that on SM64DS.

Having two remakes of same game is pretty redundant either way (with Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee being the one situation I remember recently... with FireRed/LeafGreen already existing); They could always port the 3DS version up and call it a day. It's perfectly serviceble.

Then again.. you have Star Fox.. with 64, 64 3D and Zero all being based on the SNES original..
As gaming gets longer remakes of games that got remakes already will be more common. There is an entire generation of kids who are quickly become teenagers born after the 3DS remake came out.

Yeah I don't think people realize that OOT is peanuts compared to where the series is nowadays. It's also a game that's been rereleased numerous times over the last 25 years, there isn't a huge untapped market for a remake of this game. They can remaster the 3DS version and probably sell it for a cool 3-4 million, rather than putting in countless manhours painstakingly recreating it in HD.
Yeah it kinda gets more ridiculous the more you think about it.

The open air games have taken six years to develop, and not even just the 3D Zelda team alone - by absorbing the 2D team and bringing monolith in. They’re clearly an all hands on deck situation.

Considering that, the notion that Nintendo (a company that barely fully remakes their classic games anyway) would take resources away from that in order to go in on a remake of a game in the old style that they finally moved on from, with much less sales potential, it’s just bizarre.

And going by how Aonuma and Fujibiyashi talk about the development process for new Zelda titles, I doubt it’s something artistically fulfilling or that the devs want to do either. They’re constantly talking about not looking to the past, and continuing to experiment with new ideas.

Just really no reason for it at all unless it’s a 1:1 graphical remake helmed by an external studio, which idk, is that what people want when they keep pitching the OoT remake idea?

Let me say that I hope that it's inevitable.

Yeah it kinda gets more ridiculous the more you think about it.

The open air games have taken six years to develop, and not even just the 3D Zelda team alone - by absorbing the 2D team and bringing monolith in. They’re clearly an all hands on deck situation.

Considering that, the notion that Nintendo (a company that barely fully remakes their classic games anyway) would take resources away from that in order to go in on a remake of a game in the old style that they finally moved on from, with much less sales potential, it’s just bizarre.

And going by how Aonuma and Fujibiyashi talk about the development process for new Zelda titles, I doubt it’s something artistically fulfilling or that the devs want to do either. They’re constantly talking about not looking to the past, and continuing to experiment with new ideas.

Just really no reason for it at all unless it’s a 1:1 graphical remake helmed by an external studio, which idk, is that what people want when they keep pitching the OoT remake idea?
There's no nice way to say it, wide linear 3D Zelda was struggling commercially throughout most of the 21st century and a massive remake would just bring the series right back to the same issues it had before. I think some fans just think "OOT is classic and iconic, so a remake makes sense," not realizing the market is entirely different from where it was in 1998. Nintendo also rarely remakes their games unless they were 8 bit, I think they are somewhat precious with their legacy titles. There's no way you'd get a game like Mario 64 DS today.

There is a reason very few studios tried to make genuine clones of the linear 3D Zelda style - it's very expensive and time consuming for diminishing returns.

As gaming gets longer remakes of games that got remakes already will be more common. There is an entire generation of kids who are quickly become teenagers born after the 3DS remake came out.
If they rerelease the 3DS version, there's at least options to give to players.

The Wii U Virtual Console had both Super Mario 64 and Super Mario 64 DS;

and currently on NSO we have three versions of Super Mario Bros. 3 too.

There's no nice way to say it, wide linear 3D Zelda was struggling commercially throughout most of the 21st century and a massive remake would just bring the series right back to the same issues it had before. I think some fans just think "OOT is classic and iconic, so a remake makes sense," not realizing the market is entirely different from where it was in 1998. Nintendo also rarely remakes their games unless they were 8 bit, I think they are somewhat precious with their legacy titles. There's no way you'd get a game like Mario 64 DS today.

There is a reason very few studios tried to make genuine clones of the linear 3D Zelda style - it's very expensive and time consuming for diminishing returns.
Yeah, honestly I’d say it’s more likely they just continue on with 2D remakes or new 2D games than try their hand at an OoT remake, those are less taxing to make, and draw less comparison to the open air games due to the shift in perspective and more arcadey and snappy gameplay. More easy to instantly tell apart. Whereas OoT remake with modern graphics (and full price knowing Nintendo) would have millions of confused new fans going “wait, why do I feel so much more limited here?”

Link’s Awakening also probably vastly outperformed their expectations relative to cost too.

at most we are going to get a graphical overhaul, they won't go around and change the gameplay structure

I think it's inevitable we'll get an HD Port of OOT/MM HD next gen.

When WW/TP are out, they'll have to get something out to fill the now 6-7 years we have in between 3D Zeldas, and the well has been tapped of 3D games that arent already on the system.

As for a full, ground up FFVII style remake? I think someday, but not for a loooooong time. Again, it's taking so long to develop 3D games now, until technology gets to the point where that changes, I dont think it's worth it for Nintendo to invest all that time into a remake.

Plus, OOT 3D upscaled looks STUNNING. I dont think we'll ever need anything else
oot_3d_hd_08szu39.jpg

oot_3d_hd_09c8u01.jpg
oot_3d_hd_11ziuyo.jpg
Yeah, up the textures/lights and you have a really damn solid OOT HD there.

I wouldn’t use the word struggling. Even for Skyward Sword. Just look how its sales are when compared to Mario Galaxy 2, released 1 year before and also had half of sales of its predecessor. The only time I remember them worried about Zelda sales was after Wind Waker. Even so the sales are quite ok when comparing to other GC releases.

I wouldn’t use the word struggling. Even for Skyward Sword. Just look how its sales are when compared to Mario Galaxy 2, released 1 year before and also had half of sales of its predecessor.
Aonuma outright said that if Twilight Princess didn't sell better than Wind Waker, that was gonna be the end of 3D Zelda. BOTW was a direct response to Skyward Sword's diminished sales as well.

Aonuma outright said that if Twilight Princess didn't sell better than Wind Waker, that was gonna be the end of 3D Zelda. BOTW was a direct response to Skyward Sword's diminished sales as well.
My interpretation is that he feared this could happen if the audience kept getting worse. In the end it seemed to be more of a GameCube problem than the franchise itself. I may be forgetting something but I don’t remember them talking about being frustrated about SS sales. Even though they mentioned about SS lower critical reception.

HD Port of 3D if you’re lucky. Survivalist Zelda is here to stay, and it will be the main focus for the foreseeable future.

My interpretation is that he feared this could happen if the audience kept getting worse. In the end it seemed to be more of a GameCube problem than the franchise itself. I may be forgetting something but I don’t remember them talking about being frustrated about SS sales. Even though they mentioned about SS lower critical reception.
A game like Skyward Sword didn't spend 5 years in development to only sell 3 million units. BOTW sold more than 10x that. They're not going back to that.

They might give it another graphical facelift, but there is a snowballs chance in hell they do anything like make it a BOTW open air game.

Just to play advocate here.......Tears of the Kingdom became a phenomenon and was good enough that made it worth the long development time, but I wonder what would happen if they spent like 7 years developing a game only for it to just hit Skyward Sword numbers?

At what point does it become too much of a gamble put all their eggs in one basket. There is a world where Tears of the Kingdom came out, and felt 7 years outdated because the industry had moved on from that style, our tastes changed, or someone else had a revolutionary title that impacted how we viewed games, like BOTW itself did, or it was just a game that the majority of people didnt like for whatever reason

Obviously that didnt happen, but can Nintendo guarentee that wont ever happen? Would it not be safer to have a Plan B and have a different teams cook up different kinds of Zeldas in case their flagship doesnt hit for whatever reason?

I don't think it's that inevitable. Nintendo hasn't done a lot of full-on remakes of their games. Remasters? HD versions with a little extra content? Sure. But have they ever taken something as iconic as Ocarina of Time and done a full blown remake? I can't think of anything.
Link's Awakening, but a 2D game is something of a different scope.

Just to play advocate here.......Tears of the Kingdom became a phenomenon and was good enough that made it worth the long development time, but I wonder what would happen if they spent like 7 years developing a game only for it to just hit Skyward Sword numbers?

At what point does it become too much of a gamble put all their eggs in one basket. There is a world where Tears of the Kingdom came out, and felt 7 years outdated because the industry had moved on from that style, our tastes changed, or someone else had a revolutionary title that impacted how we viewed games, like BOTW itself did, or it was just a game that the majority of people didnt like for whatever reason

Obviously that didnt happen, but can Nintendo guarentee that wont ever happen? Would it not be safer to have a Plan B and have a different teams cook up different kinds of Zeldas in case their flagship doesnt hit for whatever reason?
Open world games have been consistently popular on consoles for over 20 years since GTA3 came out. There was no universe in which TOTK wasn't a huge success, especially coming after an industry-changing title like BOTW. What you're proposing would be spreading Nintendo's resources too thin and developing games in styles that are a dead end commercially. They're not gonna make smaller, less commercially viable games on the backburner just in case their S tier franchise suddenly goes topside. If for whatever reason the BOTW style no longer becomes commercially viable (which probably won't happen for at least a couple of console generations, if at all), Nintendo will adapt as they always do. Zelda has been a blockbuster series for over 35 years, it can and has adapted with the times.

A game like Skyward Sword didn't spend 5 years in development to only sell 3 million units. BOTW sold more than 10x that. They're not going back to that.
They won’t(and most who like old Zelda will never want this). But it has nothing to do with trying to paint them as struggling.

You are dealing in absolute numbers and it doesn’t tell the full story. For context, when you compare Oot sales to the most sold N64 game you can interpret it as a more successful release to the n64 than BOTW is to Switch. Nintendo has a lot of data and I’m pretty sure they understand things aren’t black on white.

We don’t have data to compare how traditional Zelda would perform against botw style Zelda. What we are doing right now is the same as comparing BOTW numbers with mk8 on Wii U if it never had a Switch port. Imo we can’t even do a fair comparison with current gens releases to Galaxy and TP because most of Wii owners were interesting on different types of games.

The most concrete thing we have is: Nintendo isn’t interested in testing the appeal of a Zelda they aren’t interesting on doing. Which is fair.

I know you're just playing devil's advocate, but that is an insane ask. Think about what you're saying. The open world games might get less popular, so let's have a second team make games almost as expensive if not more so for almost assuredly less sales upfront in the event open air Zelda becomes less popular? 3D Zelda was becoming expensive and unsustainable, that's why they switched to the open air formula, on top of it actually justifying the costs. You're essentially saying Nintendo should fund a second team that's just as expensive and takes away development resources in case something bad happens.

Back
Top Bottom