• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Insider Gaming - Sony’s next Playstation handheld (codenamed Q Lite, requires the PS5, used with Remote Play)

Why couldn't they just make a Steam Deck but Playstation instead. Why is it so hard lmao
I can't see Sony supporting 2 devices at once, let alone 3

In all honesty though, i would make this a PS4 portable with full compatibility, the Steam Deck is already that but with a weaker GPU and the quality of PC ports weighting down the final results.

As someone who had to sell his PS4 and is getting more and more adept to play handheld, i would absolutely buy one.

It's clear Sony has no idea how to counter the Switch.

Nintendo has a gold mine in their hands, they must really be feeling the pressure to make a successful transition into a new Switch generation.

Nintendo has a gold mine in their hands, they must really be feeling the pressure to make a successful transition into a new Switch generation.
I don’t know if they need to ‘counter’ it, they’ve got bigger things to keep an eye on regarding their premium home cinema setup business model with Xbox/game pass etc, I think.

This just seems more like an accessory for their existing customer base than a dedicated attempt to carve out a chunk of the portable/hybrid market.

Edit- I think Nintendo has deliberately made the Switch hard to counter without going all-in against them on their strongest turf, being portable gaming. Not going head-to-head with Nintendo there just seems like a reasonable take on the market to me. If your competitor takes a step sideways out of necessity but finds massive success, you don’t need to follow them if what for them is ‘blue ocean’ but for you is abandoning a safe harbour where all your best studios and engineers are and you’ve had a very reliable strong base for a long time.

Last edited:

This isn't much or a counter to anything. It's a way to extend one's ps5 purchase away from the box and TV. Similar on the surface but the intentions are different

This isn't much or a counter to anything. It's a way to extend one's ps5 purchase away from the box and TV. Similar on the surface but the intentions are different

It's the best they can do to offer at least a small part of the Switch experience to their audience. It's not a counter because they can't come up with one that makes sense within their business model, that's the point of my post.

They would surely try to eat a piece of the Switch cake if they could, but they can't reach it.

All this investment in the VR space, after the Switch, Steam Deck, and growing handheld PC market, proved they were (sort of) on the right track with the Vita...

...and this is what they came up with?

I know this isn't how it probably works at all. I'm just a salty Vita fan. lol

Maybe both companies are kinda just OK not engaging each other directly, kinda like two countries that have gotten their nose bloodied trying to fight the other directly in the past.

If Sony pushes Nintendo too hard in attacking the Switch segment, maybe it would lead to something unintended like Nintendo continuing to make hybrids of course but also throwing some of their weight behind Microsoft's XBox and getting a monster pay day for doing so.

What's the phrase? "Let sleeping dogs lie".

If the idea is to keep some people that want a dedicated streaming/portable gaming device away from
moving to other platforms it can be a win, since they then keep buying the games on sonys platform instead of steam.
It seems like really threading the needle to get someone
*Enthusiastic about streaming PS5 games to a portable device.
*Unwilling/unsatisfied with existing gamepad accessories for phones/tablets to the point where they'd rather wait and spend significantly more on a single-function device
*Unenthusiastic enough about portable gaming to not get something more fully-featured that offers more when network is unavailable.

It seems like really threading the needle to get someone
*Enthusiastic about streaming PS5 games to a portable device.
*Unwilling/unsatisfied with existing gamepad accessories for phones/tablets to the point where they'd rather wait and spend significantly more on a single-function device
*Unenthusiastic enough about portable gaming to not get something more fully-featured that offers more when network is unavailable.
not more then the PSVR, with a fraction of the cost. Its simply not a huge risk.
The hardware is readily available and does not need much expensive R&D,
it doesn't need cutting edge hardware thats hard to source.

You picked those points, but ignore one that tied them together:
already being invested in the platform. How many don't move from apple,
because they have already bought their apps there.
How many only want portable PC gaming if it supports Steam.
If its "ok, steamdeck looks cool, but buying all of those games again and paying 450€" or "180€ and just paying my PS4/5 library" ... yeah, i do see it as a "doesn't hurt and expands the brand" kinda offering.

From a PS walled garden kinda perspective it could be a valid option.

If definitely is not something for somebody thats not already invested in that platform.
But since you can play your bought PS4 games on PS5, there are people with potentially hundreds of games they bought over the last decade.

And from my perspective, i rarely play my switch outside of my home, but often portable, and when i play it outside, im at university (wifi), at a friends place (wifi) or on the train (no wifi ... or at least, not a good one). 2/3 of those would work perfectly fine for game streaming.

Lets argue from a different perspective: If nintendo does not support 99% of their digital games with the next platform, im instantly gonna stop buying indie games and multiplat games there.
for me that means they are not as commited to the eco system as they want me to be with my purchases, and then im moving to PC. as it stands, Switch is way more confortable, but loosing my library when moving to the next switch would mean, my library is stuck on a console that will not live 10 years from now, and will be hard to find replacement for.

The same can be sad for sony: they are not able to provide portable gaming as nintendo and steam are, so their next best bet is streaming (and they are having that), so why not also have a dedicated cheap solution. (the benefits are obvious, doesn't drain the battery of your communication device, better ergonomics, bigger screen, better battery life...).
Again, it only works if they are clear in the marketing and keep the price low.

Its not about serving a new audience, its keeping their eco system attraktive by having options for their existing audience to not switch to a different walled garden.

yeah, i do see it as a "doesn't hurt and expands the brand" kinda offering.
In this way it reminds me of something like the WiFi dongles Nintendo sold for DS. Here's a needlessly specific alternative to a general product for use with our product, that most people will forget existed.

If they want to differentiate it from more general solutions I guess they'll have to really push the Dual Sense-specific stuff you wouldn't find in other gamepad attachments.

In this way it reminds me of something like the WiFi dongles Nintendo sold for DS. Here's a needlessly specific alternative to a general product for use with our product, that most people will forget existed.

If they want to differentiate it from more general solutions I guess they'll have to really push the Dual Sense-specific stuff you wouldn't find in other gamepad attachments.
i assume with total control of software and hardware on both sides they can improve general streaming quality, and having the integration with a full on dual sense.

The steam deck is a hit with what... a couple of million devices sold?
And it had way more R&D with a more complex architecture. Same for all those PC handhelds.
Sony produces smartphones. They are used to creating handheld devices.

Compare it to nintendos WIFI Dongles or network adapters, or now the branded sandisk micro sd cards.
Yeah, you can come there with general hardware. for a non tech person those products are one thing:
a branded quarante that it works, without technical knowledge.

Only that in this case they could have some added benefits (form factor, for full use of remote play you need a PS5 controller with you, for say the triggers. having it integrated in the handheld definitely puts it above other options. Added benefit: this could work as a standard PS5 controller when next to the PS5, meaning the value proposition is: if you already want to buy an additional, might as well buy one for 80€ more and have the possibility to use it for remote play.

And honestly:
  • they are selling headsets where general solutions exist, and they sell well.
  • they are selling charging stations, you could also use third party solutions
  • apple is selling a lot of accessories that you can get cheaper and partially better from third parties.
And lastly: the dual sense edge exists. An controller thats 199€. While you can buy the Dual Sense for 70€.

If there is a market for a 200€, im struggling to see a market smaller than that for a controller that can be streamed to.

Heck, to go back to apple: for so many solutions there exist apple products that while being worse then the general solutions with other platforms "just work" with apple products, leading many people to move towards more apple gadgets over time. Its the magic of eco-systems, and why so many companies are trying to get into that modele.

Seems Tom said on a podcast couple hours ago that it’s gonna be releasing later this year.

I'd imagine they'd be much more cautious about how many units of an accessory to manufacture after PSVR2 didn't make the launch splash they were hoping. Though I also doubt they'd price this thing at half of its actual value like they did with PSVR2.

The Steam Deck has a custom APU from AMD. To get a custom chip from AMD you either have to

(1) Pay the development design costs which will be in the hundreds of millions $.

(2) You will commit to ordering a millons of APU's for it to be worth AMD designing an APU for you.

(3) Some combination of (1) and (2).

If Sony can setup a way so that the PS5 console in your home can stream itself to this device, anywhere you are, that would a quite cool proposition for PS players. Big question is pricing.
that's why I said apparently. this is coming from an analyist, but how they're getting this number is in question. or rather, will hit 3M by the end of the year

Isn't that just a forecast? Also, as SD is a on demand device that's sold only by Valve, rather than a device that's sold in a store, i'd say it's quite hard to predict if it can hit this imaginary prediction. Even more as there's no indication from Valve that they're planning to expand the availability to more countries so far.

Back
Top Bottom