• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion In your opinion which style is classic Zelda? Zelda 1 or A Link to the Past?

Which Zelda style is the classic style?

• Zelda 1/Breath of the Wild

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • Link to the Past, Twilight Princess, etc.

Votes: 64 60.4%

• Total voters
I was having a heated discussion with someone in another thread about which style should be considered "classic" Zelda.

I insist Zelda 1 is classic style Zelda which includes Breath of the Wild. Meaning open world, non linear gameplay.

But it seems to me most people consider A Link to the Past as "classic" style with a structured, linear path, I vehemently disagree with this however. I think it does a disservice to Zelda 1 and its legacy. Zelda 1 is truly a landmark title much like Breath of the Wild is.

I know I'm going to lose this poll because most younger gamers have never even looked at Zelda 1, which is really sad to me. But you really owe it to yourself to try and beat it at least one time. It's still a fantastic game that holds up a lot better than 99% of the games that came out in 1986/87.

It doesn't get more classic than this

Last edited:
I see BotW as a completely new style rather than the original style but, going by what you're saying, I'd easily say the ALttP / OoT style as that's the one most of them fall under, with the earliest ones being really old at this point

I see BotW as a completely new style rather than the original style but, going by what you're saying, I'd easily say the ALttP / OoT style as that's the one most of them fall under, with the earliest ones being really old at this point
I don't really see it as a new style because it's the only other game in the series that gave me that Zelda 1 feeling. That feeling to me is freedom. Freedom to explore its world and tackle its objectives in any order you like.

As was said in the thread that spawns this, The legend of Zelda 1 has way more similarities with link to the past than it does breath of the wild.

I vehemently disagree. There's nothing linear about Zelda 1.

Thinking about it differently though….
Zelda 1 is the original style
Then Zelda 2 was different
Then LTTP was different but closer to the first… and then the rest kind of followed LTTPs style, so I’d call that classic Zelda because most of the franchise after follows it similarly enough… so thinking of botw as “new” zelda and all the other games as “classic” zelda the majority follow that same style

Thats my train of thought anyway

Link to the Past might be great... but Zelda 1 is simply the original, classic style. 3D Zelda is all the better for returning to the true roots of the series!

Strictly speaking, TLoZ's approach should be considered "classic", but tbh I consider ALttP and the games past it leading up to BotW as the "definitive style" of the series. Both TLoZ and AoL have some elements that would pop up again later, but overall, ALttP/OoT is where Zelda was "locked down" and that approach would go on to define the series for about two and a half decades.

And yeah, I'd agree with @SuperFakerBros that BotW is an all-new approach rather than a pure callback.

Link to the Past might be great... but Zelda 1 is simply the original, classic style. 3D Zelda is all the better for returning to the true roots of the series!
original (=first) and "classic" don't have to be (and usually aren't) the same thing, though.

zelda also really doesn't fit into these boxes since the dungeon/puzzle style is the absolute dominant majority in the franchise with only the most recent and very first game falling out of that pattern (while still being so incredibly different). zelda 1 isn't really the "classic" format in any way, that really means nothing. it's simply the original.

False dichotomy imo.
Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask felt as free and open as anything else. A specific dungeon order (and even then, you can usually fully compete at least two dungeons at a time in the former two) and Metroidvania key item elements don't take away from the fact that you can roam the world at will, engaging in side content for heart pieces and the like.
I think seeing Zelda games as a gauntlet of dungeons is just strange. They're an incidental part of Majora's Mask for example, where the meat of the game is in the (mostly non-linear) community exploration/mask collection.
In Ocarina, Epona is entirely optional, you can roll credits without even going to Lon Lon Ranch.

All of which is to say that AT THE TIME, these games felt like they presented a refreshingly coherent and freely explorable game world in a manner comparable to Breath of the Wild, and I find the modern impression of these games as being rigidly linear to be at odds with how they used to be talked about.

False dichotomy imo.
Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask felt as free and open as anything else. A specific dungeon order (and even then, you can usually fully compete at least two dungeons at a time in the former two) and Metroidvania key item elements don't take away from the fact that you can roam the world at will, engaging in side content for heart pieces and the like.
I think seeing Zelda games as a gauntlet of dungeons is just strange. They're an incidental part of Majora's Mask for example, where the meat of the game is in the (mostly non-linear) community exploration/mask collection.
In Ocarina, Epona is entirely optional, you can roll credits without even going to Lon Lon Ranch.

All of which is to say that AT THE TIME, these games felt like they presented a refreshingly coherent and freely explorable game world in a manner comparable to Breath of the Wild, and I find the modern impression of these games as being rigidly linear to be at odds with how they used to be talked about.
A Link to the Past never felt free to me. The move to 3D certainly helped. The problem with that formula is that it got incredibly stale after Majora's Mask. Using an item in a dungeon specifically for that dungeon for example. Of course A Link Between Worlds broke free from that and then Breath of the Wild expanded on it while simultaneously returning to the freedom of Zelda 1. Nintendo has said multiple times that Breath of the Wild represents a return to the past of Zelda 1.

BOTW being like Zelda 1 is more of a good PR than reality.

Zelda 1 introduced the concept of having a dungeon item that you will need to progress. You need the raft found on level 3 to access new areas of Hyrule. The only thing is other games were built upon this mechanic and left the non linear out.

A Link to the Past never felt free to me. The move to 3D certainly helped. The problem with that formula is that it got incredibly stale after Majora's Mask. Using an item in a dungeon specifically for that dungeon for example. Of course A Link Between Worlds broke free from that and then Breath of the Wild expanded on it while simultaneously returning to the freedom of Zelda 1. Nintendo has said multiple times that Breath of the Wild represents a return to the past of Zelda 1.

You know you can do the LTTP dark world dungeons in practically any order, right? They're practically as open to order as the Zelda 1 dungeons, maybe even moreso since the only dungeon in Zelda 1 you can actually do at any time is 2, because the others all require or have dungeon items in them that are needed from other dungeons.

You know you can do the LTTP dark world dungeons in practically any order, right? They're practically as open to order as the Zelda 1 dungeons, maybe even moreso since the only dungeon in Zelda 1 you can actually do at any time is 2, because the others all require or have dungeon items in them that are needed from other dungeons.
That's not true since you need the hammer to get to the other dungeons.

Why would I want to torture myself with A Link to the Past dungeons anyway? I've never been a fan of that game.

In my opinion the overworld is the most important part of any Zelda game and both overworlds in A Link to the Past just don't cut it for me.

Last edited:
Yep. I get that BOTW brought back this no handholding, which is really good. But doing dungeon out of order were always a thing.

Receiving all itens outside of dungeons and being able to explore everything at once isn't a Zelda 1 approach, it's a new thing of botw, and personally, a bad one. As I love the core gameplay loop where you use new items to reach new places where you couldn't before.

Last edited:
I am not too sure the format of the original Zelda is different enough from the one of A Link to the Past for it to be considered its own thing. I always saw what we got in A Link to the Past as a very natural - albeit quite considerable - evolution of the NES games.

Still, if we are looking at them as different styles, I will pick the one of A Link to the Past. The style of the original Zelda didn't get employed often enough to become a "classic format" for the series.

Receiving itens outside of dungeons [..] isn't a Zelda 1 approach, it's a new thing of botw,
Almost every Zelda game has done this in some form. ALttP had the medallions, the Ice Staff, the Magic Cape and the Cane of Byrna (though only two of the medallions are necessary to finish the game) as well as the Light Arrows, OoT did this with the spells and the hookshot, MM had the VAST majority of masks located outside of the dungeons, TWW had the Bracelets and Iron Boots outside of dungeons as well.

And I kinda like idea of finding key items, or just decent power-ups outside of dungeons, it makes exploring that much more enjoyable and all items being part of a mandated story line with little incentive to look outside the main path is part of the reason I fell a bit out of love with Zelda post-TWW.

And I kinda like idea of finding key items, or just decent power-ups outside of dungeons, it makes exploring that much more enjoyable and all items being part of a mandated story line with little incentive to look outside the main path is part of the reason I fell a bit out of love with Zelda post-TWW.

Yep. There's a reason ALBW was the game that help reignited my passion for the series, after so many games in the Wii/DS era did their damndest to suggest "it wasn't for me anymore".

The moment Aonuma said that ALBW only did more confirm and embolden the direction that its successor, BOTW, would take, I knew Zelda and I were back on.

I don't really like having to settle a heated debate lol, can we just acknowledge that they're both definitive of their own classic zelda gameplay styles?

Almost every Zelda game has done this in some form. ALttP had the medallions, the Ice Staff, the Magic Cape and the Cane of Byrna (though only two of the medallions are necessary to finish the game) as well as the Light Arrows, OoT did this with the spells and the hookshot, MM had the VAST majority of masks located outside of the dungeons, TWW had the Bracelets and Iron Boots outside of dungeons as well.

Ops, fixed it. My intention was to type receiving all items.

original (=first) and "classic" don't have to be (and usually aren't) the same thing, though.

zelda also really doesn't fit into these boxes since the dungeon/puzzle style is the absolute dominant majority in the franchise with only the most recent and very first game falling out of that pattern (while still being so incredibly different). zelda 1 isn't really the "classic" format in any way, that really means nothing. it's simply the original.
I agree mostly with this take. Link to the Past is the game that set the series expectations for the next 20+ years and is closer to what most people think of as Zelda than the original. I also agree with the take that Zelda 1 has more in common with Link to the Past than Breath of the Wild. Yes, Zelda 1 is nonlinear, but there is a clearly intended path (the dungeon are literally numbered). It’s actually pretty similar to how the Dark World in LttP is, you can mix up the intended order, but both games have item checks at different points (you need the flute and the raft to even access some Zelda 1 dungeons). It’s the same idea, with the light world acting as a kind of extended tutorial.

Breath of the Wild is basically its own thing entirely. It’s far more nonlinear than Zelda 1, as you cannot clear Zelda 1 (without using glitches) without clearing all dungeons and obtaining the Triforce.

Last edited:
To say there is no comparison is just untrue.
No need to take everything so literally. They don’t have nearly as much in common as people (including Nintendo) claim. Me saying “nothing alike” is reasonable, even if not completely literal, because they have very, very little in common. They certainly don’t have enough similarities to be separated into their own little group away from the other Zeldas, and to pretend like what BotW does is “classic” Zelda. Like someone said earlier, that’s more PR than reality.

No need to take everything so literally. They don’t have nearly as much in common as people (including Nintendo) claim. Me saying “nothing alike” is reasonable, even if not completely literal, because they have very, very little in common. They certainly don’t have enough similarities to be separated into their own little group away from the other Zeldas, and to pretend like what BotW does is “classic” Zelda. Like someone said earlier, that’s more PR than reality.
I mean, words mean things. Especially absolute statements

I agree with the takes here that Zelda 1 and Link to the Past have a lot more common than what OP suggests. BotW is inspired by what Zelda 1 "stands for" more than what Zelda 1 actually is really.

Regarding the topic itself, the answer depends on what we define as "classic". If we're to define "classic" as the Zelda style that defined the series then the LttP style would definitely be the classic one since most of the franchise's games (both 2D and 3D) use it.

To use another example, most people probably think of Sonic 2 and 3+K as classic Sonic over Sonic 1. These games are a bit more accessible and introduced some features like the spin dash and Super Sonic that the original almost feels weird without.

To use another example, most people probably think of Sonic 2 and 3+K as classic Sonic over Sonic 1. These games are a bit more accessible and introduced some features like the spin dash and Super Sonic that the original almost feels weird without.
Similarly, everyone knows Sunshine is the classic style for 3D Mario.

It's odd to me that people can see the difference between Zelda 1 and AlttP style but not Metroid and Super Metroid style.
...? green hill zone

I find both sides of this argument, that Z1 and BotW are so uniquely different from the rest of the series as well as the idea that they are nothing alike, somewhat silly. Neither the grouping nor the separation makes much sense.

I'm pretty confident that's exactly what you expected to happen when you commented it.
No, I just wish people would stop nitpicking peoples way of taking on the internet. I’m sure I’ve done it to others too and haven’t noticed it, but it’s pretty frustrating. We’re humans, not robots. I talk the way I would in a normal conversation, and people gotta “well actually” everything like it’s a grammar class. I hate having to clarify and over explain everything all the time. Constantly writing in a defensive style and making sure every sentence is air tight. I’m just over it, lol. Everyone knew what I meant, and if they didn’t then that’s more their problem than mine. My brief statement cut to the heart of the issue. If you think they have more in common than I do, that’s fine. It’s just very frustrating to have people act like they don’t understand what you mean when you know they do. It doesn’t add anything to the conversation and just makes people feel bad. I’ll probably make a more elaborate point later on why I think they’re not similar, but I gotta go.

I don’t think LTTP is quite the same in terms of linearity as TP- there’s literally dozens of different orders you can do the dungeons in LTTP, whereas TP is strictly linear.

I don’t think LTTP is quite the same in terms of linearity as TP- there’s literally dozens of different orders you can do the dungeons in LTTP, whereas TP is strictly linear.
You can't do the first 4 dungeons in any order. You need the medallions and the hammer. Maybe I'm mistaken because I haven't touched it in 30 years.

I'm also glad the poll is a lot closer than I expected.

Yes, it’s the classic level, but mechanically speaking, classic Sonic’s gameplay was more heavily influenced by 2 onward.
I don't agree. 2 and 3 aren't that similar to each other and throwbacks to classic Sonic are somewhere in between of all 4 classic games.

That's not true since you need the hammer to get to the other dungeons.

Why would I want to torture myself with A Link to the Past dungeons anyway? I've never been a fan of that game.

In my opinion the overworld is the most important part of any Zelda game and both overworlds in A Link to the Past just don't cut it for me.

Yeah, and in Zelda 1 you need the item from 3 to access dungeon 4, the item from 4 to do 5 and the item from 5 to do 7, for instance. The nonlinearity in Zelda 1 isn't significantly different to that of LTTP in that there's some item requirements (In LTTP the titans mitt and the hammer).

Anyway, you've said the quiet part out loud now, this is really about you hating LTTP, lol.

If you're going to call the more than 60 possible orders for the Dark world dungeons a "linear" game, there's nothing to talk about.

Yeah, and in Zelda 1 you need the item from 3 to access dungeon 4, the item from 4 to do 5 and the item from 5 to do 7, for instance. The nonlinearity in Zelda 1 isn't significantly different to that of LTTP in that there's some item requirements (In LTTP the titans mitt and the hammer).

Anyway, you've said the quiet part out loud now, this is really about you hating LTTP, lol.

If you're going to call the more than 60 possible orders for the Dark world dungeons a "linear" game, there's nothing to talk about.
I don't like A Link to the Past or Twilight Princess just as I'm sure you have Zelda games you don't like either. I'm not hiding anything. I'm not sure why you think my opinion is something I shouldn't share.

Y'all know this is a bait thread, right?
That's not my intention at all. Not sure why you think this?

Last edited:
As someone who played both as a kid around when they were originally released, Zelda 1 is the original that other games built on, and Link to the Past was the definitive game of the Classic Zelda style. LttP definitely has spawned many imitators too. (I still like Zelda 2 a whole lot too).

I think the question of which Zelda is classic Zelda to you is a good one, for some that's the original, for some it's LTTP. We're going to have people here that cut their teeth on OoT and the games that followed in its specific footsteps/template and see that as classic Zelda, particularly in comparison to BoTW. That said, I think OP undoes his point a little, or at least the interesting question imo, by forcing LoZ and BoTW into one Bracket and LTTP in with the 3d entries. That's a totally fair subjective opinion if OP classes them that way but it would be better to separate the games in the poll otherwise it forces people to agree to that in order to participate. I wouldn't group them like that for example so I can't really vote.

Anyway, classic Zelda in my mind is definitely ALTTP. The original game is of course the progenitor of the series but I feel like ALTTP is where it really finds it's identity (especially after trying something really different with the second game). And it's specifically the first Zelda of my childhood too, so it's the one that comes to mind and that I go back to if I want an old school Zelda experience.

I love the original The Legend of Zelda. I wish there were more games like it. Breath of the Wild is not such a game.

OG The Legend of Zelda and A Link to the Past are far, far more similar than are TLoZ and Breath of the Wild, even in terms of linearity and world structure (light world/dark world mechanic aside). And that's before taking into account the sandbox nature, cooking, weapon breakage, and stamina/climbing that define BotW.

BOTW being like Zelda 1 is more of a good PR than reality.

Zelda 1 introduced the concept of having a dungeon item that you will need to progress. You need the raft found on level 3 to access new areas of Hyrule. The only thing is other games were built upon this mechanic and left the non linear out.

Thinking about it differently though….
Zelda 1 is the original style
Then Zelda 2 was different
Then LTTP was different but closer to the first… and then the rest kind of followed LTTPs style, so I’d call that classic Zelda because most of the franchise after follows it similarly enough… so thinking of botw as “new” zelda and all the other games as “classic” zelda the majority follow that same style

Thats my train of thought anyway

I am not too sure the format of the original Zelda is different enough from the one of A Link to the Past for it to be considered its own thing. I always saw what we got in A Link to the Past as a very natural - albeit quite considerable - evolution of the NES games.

Still, if we are looking at them as different styles, I will pick the one of A Link to the Past. The style of the original Zelda didn't get employed often enough to become a "classic format" for the series.

I agree mostly with this take. Link to the Past is the game that set the series expectations for the next 20+ years and is closer to what most people think of as Zelda than the original. I also agree with the take that Zelda 1 has more in common with Link to the Past than Breath of the Wild. Yes, Zelda 1 is nonlinear, but there is a clearly intended path (the dungeon are literally numbered). It’s actually pretty similar to how the Dark World in LttP is, you can mix up the intended order, but both games have item checks at different points (you need the flute and the raft to even access some Zelda 1 dungeons). It’s the same idea, with the light world acting as a kind of extended tutorial.

Breath of the Wild is basically its own thing entirely. It’s far more nonlinear than Zelda 1, as you cannot clear Zelda 1 (without using glitches) without clearing all dungeons and obtaining the Triforce.

I agree with the takes here that Zelda 1 and Link to the Past have a lot more common than what OP suggests. BotW is inspired by what Zelda 1 "stands for" more than what Zelda 1 actually is really.

Regarding the topic itself, the answer depends on what we define as "classic". If we're to define "classic" as the Zelda style that defined the series then the LttP style would definitely be the classic one since most of the franchise's games (both 2D and 3D) use it.

I love the original The Legend of Zelda. I wish there were more games like it. Breath of the Wild is not such a game.

OG The Legend of Zelda and A Link to the Past are far, far more similar than are TLoZ and Breath of the Wild, even in terms of linearity and world structure (light world/dark world mechanic aside). And that's before taking into account the sandbox nature, cooking, weapon breakage, and stamina/climbing that define BotW.
All of these. Pretty much what I said in the last thread.

Not sure how so many people think this. Zelda 1 and a Link to the Past couldn't be more different. A Link to the Past is linear. Zelda 1 is as close to an open world as was possible at the time. Nintendo has said many times that Breath of the Wild was directly based on Zelda 1. Do you and others here believe Nintendo is making this up? If so why?

Marketing doesn't make any sense since Zelda 1 came out so long ago. I choose to take Nintendo at their word over those on this board.

You can't do the first 4 dungeons in any order. You need the medallions and the hammer. Maybe I'm mistaken because I haven't touched it in 30 years.
Yes, but then there’s the next 8. heres the total number of different routes through Zelda games, LTTP has the second-most number of options. Just seems a bit odd to classify the majority of games with only one strict route through the dungeons with the game that has 66 on the basis that they both have less the first one.

The routes here are pretty much ‘dungeon only completed when you’ve killed the boss, in both LoZ and LTTP you can head in, grab an item then head off to do a different one. That the first four in LTTP in the Light World require you to do it in order is hardly massive linearity when it’s then got another 8 dungeons in the dark world, that you can tackle just like the 8 in LoZ. The only difference is that first act before you’re dropped in a world with 8 dungeons to find and tackle.
  1. The Legend of Zelda: 872
  2. A Link to the Past: 66
  3. Ocarina of Time: 7 (55)
  4. Four Swords, Phantom Hourglass: 6
  5. Oracle of Seasons: 2
  6. Majora's Mask: 2
  7. the other 10 games: 1

Last edited:
Yes, but then there’s the next 8. heres the total number of different routes through Zelda games, LTTP has the second-most number of options. Just seems a bit odd to classify the majority of games with only one strict route through the dungeons with the game that has 66 on the basis that they both have less the first one.

The routes here are pretty much ‘dungeon only completed when you’ve killed the boss, in both LoZ and LTTP you can head in, grab an item then head off to do a different one. That the first four in LTTP in the Light World require you to do it in order is hardly massive linearity when it’s then got another 8 dungeons in the dark world, that you can tackle just like the 8 in LoZ. The only difference is that first act before you’re dropped in a world with 8 dungeons to find and tackle.
  1. The Legend of Zelda: 872
  2. A Link to the Past: 66
  3. Ocarina of Time: 7 (55)
  4. Four Swords, Phantom Hourglass: 6
  5. Oracle of Seasons: 2
  6. Majora's Mask: 2
  7. the other 10 games: 1
My point isn't really about the dungeons. The most interesting part about Zelda for me was always the overworld. Something I find lacking in A Link to the Past. Good dungeons are a bonus.

That's why Majora's Mask is in my top 5 Zelda games because the overworld is so compelling. Even though I find the first three dungeons to be not very well designed.

The last dungeon is a masterpiece though so it kind of makes up for it.

My rankings for anyone that cares.

1. Breath of the Wild
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Zelda 1
4. Link's Awakening
5. Majora's Mask

For those that jump on it, yes I realize Link's Awakening is modeled after A Link to the Past but I find its story, overworld and dungeons far more memorable. Sorry not sorry.

And for the record I don't hate A Link to the Past or think it's a terrible game I just think it doesn't live up to other games in the series.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom