• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion In your opinion which style is classic Zelda? Zelda 1 or A Link to the Past?

Which Zelda style is the classic style?

• Zelda 1/Breath of the Wild

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • Link to the Past, Twilight Princess, etc.

Votes: 64 60.4%

• Total voters
It’s funny how that one 8bit prototype brainwashed a bunch of fans into thinking BOTW is an evolution of Zelda 1. They have basically nothing in common besides not being linear, featuring the old man and needing hearts to get a stronger sword. In Zelda 1 you could stumble upon the game’s 7th dungeon by buying the candle and burning random bushes in an early area. In BOTW the game’s dungeons are clearly highlighted right at the beginning, they feature the tribes that were established in past 3D Zeldas. Besides the main quest, most of BOTW’s gameplay and structure is clearly based on modern open world games, you got your towers revealing the map, you got defined sidequests, crafting, collecting equipment that vary in stats.

I’m pretty tired of this weird revisionism, now because one or two youtubers said that “3D Zelda was never good” you have this sentiment that basically invalidates most of the series. “BOTW is good because it’s not linear, other Zeldas are bad, Zelda 1 was the first and it was non linear so BOTW is a return to form”. This is incredibly disingenuous. I remember back then, some Zelda fans in enthusiast spaces were disappointed in Twilight Princess. Too linear, too easy, too edgy, rehash of OOT, you heard everything. However, the conclusion wasn’t that everything post OOT or ALTTP was a mistake, they simply said that the series is better when it’s more original. The original LOZ was never a gold standard, it’s an interesting game to discuss as there is a lot of potential to build upon but when you actually play it it is simply a lot more rough than the other games in the series, there is a reason why you don’t see it as often than another NES game, like, SMB3 in all time top lists. The dungeons have no themes, Link doesn’t swing his sword, a lot of solutions are very arbitrary, the list goes on. If you value non-linearity in Zelda you could always look at the start of the Dark World in ALTTP, or when you become an adult in OOT. Both second halves of these games allowed you to do the first few dungeons out of order, despite the game itself defining the intended one. They did that without compromising other aspects such as the complexity in the dungeon design. The point here is that the idea of a non linear Zelda was mostly rooted in building upon that rather than scrapping everything and looking at other open world games, most of which aren’t even the same genre.

While I’m at it I wanna add another point that is often misunderstood. The Zelda series didn’t “desperately need a shakeup”. TP came out 8 years after OOT, the previous two games before it were more experimental so TP was a return to form in a sense, it was understandable that they made a “normal” Zelda for the Gamecube, that’s what the market wanted. Skyward Sword was a Wii game. Nintendo during the Wii era was all about polishing their games while everyone else were fumbling when doing HD development or chasing trends. Therefore, SS directly adressed every flaw that TP had: no more big empty Hyrule Field, shorter intro, enemies deal full hearts of damage, more involving combat, tears of light sections are a lot more brief, has sidequests that give you a reason to revisit areas rather than simply moving on to the next dungeon. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is another example of Nintendo’s polished Wii iterations: they removed things like the hub and the backstory in favor of simply having better and more complex level design. However, there’s a difference between removing the overworld in a Zelda game versus a Mario game. Mario fans didn’t mind too much because the meat of a platformer is the levels themselves. The reception for SS was a lot more iffy because they removed the overworld for an adventure game. They also settled with the usual “grab a green/red/blue stone for the first three dungeons” in terms of structure. On top of that, at the time Zelda wasn’t even the best selling game featuring a fantasy setting anymore, sure they aren’t in the same genre but you had Skyrim and Dark Souls out there. Therefore, it’s pretty natural that for BOTW, while they were set on making a non linear game, they opted to look at other industry trends, AKA what the games that were selling more than Zelda were doing. While TP and SS had very basic structures, they were very interesting in terms of level and dungeon design. TP had some atypical dungeons like the mansion which had a theme beyond the usual “_______ Temple”. SS had very involving level design across the board, the non-dungeon areas were as good as the dungeons themselves. They are only two games, we never had a new HD Zelda that builds upon that, that offers you the level design Zelda is known for. They don’t need to settle with the familiar structure of “green/red/blue before the second half”, they aren’t working with a Gamecube or two anymore. I really hope that future Zelda games, a series known for overall having a lot of meaning behind every interaction in the game, doesn’t settle with embracing the homogenization of open world games. Zelda always offered more interesting content than vapid sidequests and shallow crafting/rpg mechanics

Last edited:
I agree! It's funny seeing 41 people vote for the wrong option!

giphy.gif

Where does Zelda II and its progeny, Link: The Faces of Evil and Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon, fit into all of this? Alt-classic style?

I was having a heated discussion with someone in another thread about which style should be considered "classic" Zelda.

I insist Zelda 1 is classic style Zelda which includes Breath of the Wild. Meaning open world, non linear gameplay.

But it seems to me most people consider A Link to the Past as "classic" style with a structured, linear path, I vehemently disagree with this however. I think it does a disservice to Zelda 1 and its legacy. Zelda 1 is truly a landmark title much like Breath of the Wild is.

I know I'm going to lose this poll because most younger gamers have never even looked at Zelda 1, which is really sad to me. But you really owe it to yourself to try and beat it at least one time. It's still a fantastic game that holds up a lot better than 99% of the games that came out in 1986/87.

It doesn't get more classic than this

The real classic Zelda is TLoZ, but the gameplay system that made the franchise a big hit is LttP/OoT, so most people will disagree. But it's the truth... :p

Ludwig Wittgenstein (go with me here) once said that the category of thing called "games" wasn't connected by a strict list of things they all had or didn't have, but a set of "family resemblances".
I'd hesitate to throw Wittgenstein's family resemblance paradigm at the question of what constitutes the classic style of Zelda; it seems more fitting as to the question of what a Zelda game is.

Clearly, anything given the branding falls into the technical category, but that doesn't mean you can throw anything into that and have it feel true. You seem to point to this in your analysis of how different the games in the series can be. The games have been much more varied over the years than people give them credit for, but they still -- at least in general -- feel like Zelda, like they belong in the same group. That's more what family resemblances would be.

It can dip a little bit into what fits into something like the classic style, perhaps, that maybe you can't quite place all the details as to why certain games fit in but they all have that particular resemblance, but for that you first have to have an inclination as to what that classic style is.

For instance, top-down isometric (or, well, oblique, as the case might be) isn't so much a family resemblance as it is a straightforward criteria. If you consider Link to the Past through the next 25 years, that's where you find more a factor of family resemblance.

And if your initial inclination is to consider top-down oblique the hallmark of classic Zelda, far be it from me to say that's not useful as a designation, but you'll probably also recognize that the catalyst of this debacle refers to a different, perhaps more universally considered, usage:
If they keep going the direction TOK went, we could have a pretty nice replacement for classic Zelda in a post-BotW world.

And if the designation of what is called classic is nebulous and amorphous, statements such as the above become a bit more difficult to employ. It's really a question of what would be considered "classic Zelda" in common parlance (or even in technicality) and, continuing from there, why?

(To be fair, I do tend to specify "Classic 3D Zelda" if I'm referring to that specifically)

I definitely appreciate the discussion regarding how wildly different games within the series can vary. There's a throughline from the original through Skyward Sword, but you wind up with games on the far ends of the spectrum and then so many places in between. It can make specifics of some groupings a bit messy, and that's before you take other factors into account.

It seems fitting that you brought up Wittgenstein's family resemblance paradigm, though, in a discussion created because of Paper Mario. Now that's a series where questions of family resemblance could be really interesting.

And if your initial inclination is to consider top-down oblique the hallmark of classic Zelda, far be it from me to say that's not useful as a designation, but you'll probably also recognize that the catalyst of this debacle refers to a different, perhaps more universally considered, usage:
Sorry, it looks like I disguised my point by being wordy :) Yes, I agree with you. Here is what I was trying to say
  • The definition of "Classic Zelda" isn't universal.
  • These discussions often get bogged down in exacting criteria
    • See: the definition of rogue-like vs rogue-lite vs "procedural death labyrinth"
  • Family resemblances might be a better way to talk about these things
    • If nothing else I think it's less heated :)
  • Even seemingly hard and fast criteria can exist on a spectrum
    • See: linearity.
    • LTTP is a far less linear game than people who have played it multiple times tend to notice
    • LOZ is a more linear game than it is generally given credit for
    • But the approaches to linearity are different
I grew up with LOZ. It was one of the very few games I had access to as a kid, and I put in excess of 300 hours into it. I love Zelda, though I have been generally frustrated with the series moving away from exploration and finding your own path. I was so excited to get that feeling back in BotW - it felt like returning home to Hyrule after 30 years away.

But the approaches to non-linearity are different between the two games, and there are plenty of other similarities and differences that we could use to slice the games up - like lock-and-key puzzle/item design, side quest depth, and over world structure. To me, BotW is a "new" kind of Zelda based on the changes to the puzzle/items, but that restores some of the game feel that started in LOZ and was gradually reduced over time.

Similarly, I think Skyward Sword is NOT "classic zelda" - I think the change in overworld and sidequest design make it feel like an abandoned side branch of the family tree as weird and as rapidly abandoned as Zelda II.

And if the designation of what is called classic is nebulous and amorphous, statements such as the above become a bit more difficult to employ. It's really a question of what would be considered "classic Zelda" in common parlance (or even in technicality) and, continuing from there, why?

(To be fair, I do tend to specify "Classic 3D Zelda" if I'm referring to that specifically)

I definitely appreciate the discussion regarding how wildly different games within the series can vary. There's a throughline from the original through Skyward Sword, but you wind up with games on the far ends of the spectrum and then so many places in between. It can make specifics of some groupings a bit messy, and that's before you take other factors into account.

It seems fitting that you brought up Wittgenstein's family resemblance paradigm, though, in a discussion created because of Paper Mario. Now that's a series where questions of family resemblance could be really interesting.

It's deceptive to lump BotW with Zelda 1. Sure BotW is open like 1 is, but 1 is also pretty frustrating without a guide, while you can easily beat BotW without any external resources.

The Legend of Zelda is merely a curiosity, it's a farce and completely irrelevant to game design now and forever more.

Was it a good jumping off point, and revolutionary for its time? Of course. However, it's forever an old, archaic, musty game that doesn't respect the player, or do anything to bolster the "freedom" that fans of the game represents. Much like how Metroid (NES), and Final Fantasy (NES) are consistently outdone by their superiors. Super Metroid is Classic Metroid. Final Fantasy 4-6 are classic final fantasy.

The Legend of Zelda doesnt succeed as a game in today's day and age. It really simply doesn't, and it's formula is messy, non-descript, and punishing for the player. The Legend of Zelda has some items that are required within the overworld, but some aren't. It has inane stuff like Bows and Arrows being separated in both a dungeon, and a shop. It requires dungeon progression by buying a random item in a shop, pretty much at the opposite side of the map. And that is why the original Legend of Zelda game isn't the classic formula. It's simply old, archaic, and best left off in the 80s. I say this as a person who loves the series, and has played every single game in the series, including the original.

And honestly, BotW has more in common with ALttP than Zelda 1 as well. Both games require you to do 3-4 tutorial main dungeons, in a pretty compact world before the entirety of the game opens up to you.

The Legend of Zelda is merely a curiosity, it's a farce and completely irrelevant to game design now and forever more.

Wrong. I remember the Game Center CX challenge of this game... watching someone grind rupees for potions, only to waste them all gambling and have to start the process over again, is when it occurred to me... THIS is what games are! And it rules. All of the things that "don't respect the player" are actually things that are extremely funny and entertaining. I love it!

I really want to reiterate that classic as a descriptor really does demand a significant change. I think popular music is the best example of this usage. "Class Billy Joel" may mean different eras to different people, but the distinction is made from that which follows. More broadly, "classic rock" distinguishes it from a vague understanding of the stylistic changes that followed it.

It's a subjective term, but I hope that @Nintendianajones64 can see that the meaning of classic is independent from precedence, and even from quality.

t’s funny how that one 8bit prototype brainwashed a bunch of fans into thinking BOTW is an evolution of Zelda 1. They have basically nothing in common besides not being linear, featuring the old man and needing hearts to get a stronger sword. In Zelda 1 you could stumble upon the game’s 7th dungeon by buying the candle and burning random bushes in an early area. In BOTW the game’s dungeons are clearly highlighted right at the beginning, they feature the tribes that were established in past 3D Zeldas. Besides the main quest, most of BOTW’s gameplay and structure is clearly based on modern open world games, you got your towers revealing the map, you got defined sidequests, crafting, collecting equipment that vary in stats.

It isn't just one prototype though, Nintendo has stated multiple times that having more freedom was the goal and they specified multiple times that Zelda 1 had the most freedom in the entire series prior to BOTW and they just wanted to create a game that gave you more freedom than post OOT titles had. BOTW wasn't going to just straight up copy Zelda 1, that was never the intention but more so to get the series the element that it lost throughout the years. Freeform exploration. That was a crucial component to the Zelda series and that was just sidelined in most of the 3D entries.
’m pretty tired of this weird revisionism, now because one or two youtubers said that “3D Zelda was never good” you have this sentiment that basically invalidates most of the series. “BOTW is good because it’s not linear, other Zeldas are bad, Zelda 1 was the first and it was non linear so BOTW is a return to form”. This is incredibly
It isn't revisionism. You could find multiple people back then having issues with 3D Zelda games prior to youtube even being a thing. I remember being disappointed in OOT after how much fun I had with ALLTP and Link's Awakening. After enjoying those I went back to Zelda 1 and 2 on NES and enjoyed Zelda 1 more than OOT. This was all arround the time when OOT came out, and not when youtube man number 7895 told me so.

But of course, if you just surround yourself mostly with one type of Zelda fans. The type that put the N64 entries as the peak of the entire series and hail OOT as the greatest game of all time, then it is no wonder that some fans out there are led to believe and genuinely think that Zelda 1 was just a niche title and the series didn't "break into the mainstream until OOT came and elevated the series." While saying stuff like OOT being this flawless benchmark and that Zelda 1 was kind of irrelevant. Like you even apply it right in your post right here.

The original LOZ was never a gold standard, it’s an interesting game to discuss as there is a lot of potential to build upon but when you actually play it it is simply a lot more rough than the other games in the series, there is a reason why you don’t see it as often than another NES game, like, SMB3 in all time top lists.

Like...what?! This is the exact revisionist history that you yourself accuse people of doing. Just to be 100% clear here. Zelda 1 was a MASSIVE and influential game and was, and continues to be listed on top games of all time lists constantly, it was crazy influential. It is a bit rough around the edges, sure but that doesn't change it being one of the best games on the original NES. Just because SMB3 came and did most everything better than the original SMB, it by no means makes SMB obsolete. It was an important and still incredible piece of software. It was a groundbreaking title.

Zelda 1 sold roughly as much as OOT did but you would never know this if you just surround yourself with younger Nintendo fans, whose only frame of reference is OOT, and keep in mind many Nintendo fans on ERA were skewed younger and tend to dismiss the NES as if it was from the stone ages. I'm not one bit surprised that they would try to brush "BOTW as not being a real Zelda game" or try to dismiss Zelda 1 as this little outlier that nobody really cares about. Now That is revisionist history right there.

While I’m at it I wanna add another point that is often misunderstood. The Zelda series didn’t “desperately need a shakeup”. TP came out 8 years after OOT, the previous two games before it were more experimental so TP was a return to form in a sense, it was understandable that they made a “normal” Zelda for the Gamecube, that’s what the market wanted. Skyward Sword was a Wii game. Nintendo during the Wii era was all about polishing their games while everyone else were fumbling when doing HD development or chasing trends. Therefore, SS directly adressed every flaw that TP had: no more big empty Hyrule Field, shorter intro, enemies deal full hearts of damage, more involving combat, tears of light sections are a lot more brief, has sidequests that give you a reason to revisit areas rather than simply moving on to the

Wind Waker was a lesser and reskinned OOT. The experimental things about WW were superficial non-gameplay related things like the art style which to be fair was very nice and it paid off in the sense that the game looks better than TP and SS, despite being much older. But it was mostly a by-the-numbers OOT clone that didn't significantly revamp the series but was instead just filled with more flaws like the game being far too easy and unfinished, the dungeon design is simplified to the point where you don't need to put even the mildest amount of effort in order to beat any of them. This wasn't like going from SM64 and Sunshine to Galaxy or Galaxy back to Odyssey. This was like going from "OOT to more OOT but cartoony and easy!" There was no real shift there.

TP was just an uglier but more finished version of WW and they did this by not even trying to pretend that they aren't copying OOT this time. It was OOT 3.0, but now with horrible pacing and still insulting easy difficulty and it was even more railroaded. At this point, it was crystal clear that the series was starting to get stale.

Skyward Sword intended to make a different game but all of the attempts that it did ended up making the stale formula worse. The combat was not more evolving, it was more shallow and simple. A slow Simon says combat system (Every enemy encounter plays out the same) The structure was a glorified level select screen. The freeform exploration found in the 2D games was completely gone by this point and the game was weirdly heavily focused on the story. You know the thing that earlier games definitely were not about. Having band-aid fixes to some problems that the series had by now is not really enough. Sure the enemies do a full heart of damage but that doesn't matter because the core game is still so easy and mechanically shallow.

Since you mentioned the large release gaps between entries I have to say that, well yeah, but that makes the problem worse, not better. If the games were released on a yearly or bi-yearly schedule then I could understand why I am playing "OOT but worse" yet again, but there was a huge gap between some of these releases. I expected way more from WW, TP, and SS. Given how seldom they release.

Now all of this is not to say that I think BOTW is a masterpiece or doesn't have many areas where it could be improved upon massively. There are still many things about it that feel like a first pass Like say for example the difficulty balancing with health items, as well as the inventory system being complete trash, but BOTW is absolutely a Zelda game that injected freeform exploration back into the series and shaken up the formula which is something the series DESPERATELY needed by that point. BOTW is not a generic open world and it is ultra disingenuous to say that it is.

It isn't just one prototype though, Nintendo has stated multiple times that having more freedom was the goal and they specified multiple times that Zelda 1 had the most freedom in the entire series prior to BOTW and they just wanted to create a game that gave you more freedom than post OOT titles had. BOTW wasn't going to just straight up copy Zelda 1, that was never the intention but more so to get the series the element that it lost throughout the years. Freeform exploration. That was a crucial component to the Zelda series and that was just sidelined in most of the 3D entries.

It isn't revisionism. You could find multiple people back then having issues with 3D Zelda games prior to youtube even being a thing. I remember being disappointed in OOT after how much fun I had with ALLTP and Link's Awakening. After enjoying those I went back to Zelda 1 and 2 on NES and enjoyed Zelda 1 more than OOT. This was all arround the time when OOT came out, and not when youtube man number 7895 told me so.

But of course, if you just surround yourself mostly with one type of Zelda fans. The type that put the N64 entries as the peak of the entire series and hail OOT as the greatest game of all time, then it is no wonder that some fans out there are led to believe and genuinely think that Zelda 1 was just a niche title and the series didn't "break into the mainstream until OOT came and elevated the series." While saying stuff like OOT being this flawless benchmark and that Zelda 1 was kind of irrelevant. Like you even apply it right in your post right here.

Like...what?! This is the exact revisionist history that you yourself accuse people of doing. Just to be 100% clear here. Zelda 1 was a MASSIVE and influential game and was, and continues to be listed on top games of all time lists constantly, it was crazy influential. It is a bit rough around the edges, sure but that doesn't change it being one of the best games on the original NES. Just because SMB3 came and did most everything better than the original SMB, it by no means makes SMB obsolete. It was an important and still incredible piece of software. It was a groundbreaking title.

Zelda 1 sold roughly as much as OOT did but you would never know this if you just surround yourself with younger Nintendo fans, whose only frame of reference is OOT, and keep in mind many Nintendo fans on ERA were skewed younger and tend to dismiss the NES as if it was from the stone ages. I'm not one bit surprised that they would try to brush "BOTW as not being a real Zelda game" or try to dismiss Zelda 1 as this little outlier that nobody really cares about. Now That is revisionist history right there.

Wind Waker was a lesser and reskinned OOT. The experimental things about WW were superficial non-gameplay related things like the art style which to be fair was very nice and it paid off in the sense that the game looks better than TP and SS, despite being much older. But it was mostly a by-the-numbers OOT clone that didn't significantly revamp the series but was instead just filled with more flaws like the game being far too easy and unfinished, the dungeon design is simplified to the point where you don't need to put even the mildest amount of effort in order to beat any of them. This wasn't like going from SM64 and Sunshine to Galaxy or Galaxy back to Odyssey. This was like going from "OOT to more OOT but cartoony and easy!" There was no real shift there.

TP was just an uglier but more finished version of WW and they did this by not even trying to pretend that they aren't copying OOT this time. It was OOT 3.0, but now with horrible pacing and still insulting easy difficulty and it was even more railroaded. At this point, it was crystal clear that the series was starting to get stale.

Skyward Sword intended to make a different game but all of the attempts that it did ended up making the stale formula worse. The combat was not more evolving, it was more shallow and simple. A slow Simon says combat system (Every enemy encounter plays out the same) The structure was a glorified level select screen. The freeform exploration found in the 2D games was completely gone by this point and the game was weirdly heavily focused on the story. You know the thing that earlier games definitely were not about. Having band-aid fixes to some problems that the series had by now is not really enough. Sure the enemies do a full heart of damage but that doesn't matter because the core game is still so easy and mechanically shallow.

Since you mentioned the large release gaps between entries I have to say that, well yeah, but that makes the problem worse, not better. If the games were released on a yearly or bi-yearly schedule then I could understand why I am playing "OOT but worse" yet again, but there was a huge gap between some of these releases. I expected way more from WW, TP, and SS. Given how seldom they release.

Now all of this is not to say that I think BOTW is a masterpiece or doesn't have many areas where it could be improved upon massively. There are still many things about it that feel like a first pass Like say for example the difficulty balancing with health items, as well as the inventory system being complete trash, but BOTW is absolutely a Zelda game that injected freeform exploration back into the series and shaken up the formula which is something the series DESPERATELY needed by that point. BOTW is not a generic open world and it is ultra disingenuous to say that it is.
I agree with most of your points. Great read.

The original LOZ was never a gold standard,

The subtitle of that video by Jeremy Parish is literally
"The gold standard." lol

Last edited:
Zelda 1 is basically the traditional RPG version of Metroid 1. Now that we got a classic style Zelda in 3D and it was a huge hit, I wonder if there's potential for a classic style 3D Metroid. Don't even know what that would look like... subnautica with jumping?

relative to the new style of botw, the long-running preceding games are the classic style

anybody who thinks words mean anything understands this

sure but like

rush's first album was straight up crappy led zeppelin knockoff. if the ones who are left rebanded to do that again nobody would insist it's the return of "classic rush"
I'd suggest watching Jeremy Parish's masterful deconstruction of Zelda 1 to get a better perspective than vague, meaningless comparisons that don't fit. I'll link it again.

I'd suggest watching Jeremy Parish's masterful deconstruction of Zelda 1 to get a better perspective than vague, meaningless comparisons that don't fit. I'll link it again.

it fits quite well though

a first installment that was immediately usurped by what became the series's signature

your stubborn adoration for this game will not rectify what is fundamentally a communication error

I think if you play Zelda 1 with a guide in 2021, it has more in common with aLttP than BotW as a game. But the experience of playing Zelda 1 in context as a kid in the 80s, a kid with parents limiting your gaming time and having no guides to follow except what your friends at school said, is more like the experience of playing BotW. It's an experience that's more about discovering and understanding a world that felt so much bigger than everything else Nintendo had made.

aLttP is more of what I think of with Zelda though, since I'm not someone who was a kid in the 80s, and most of the online Zelda fandom in the 2000s discussed the games like aLttP-esque experiences.

this is the most obnoxious thread in this site's history

you want your favorite game to get more respect and have decided to seek this end by starting a petulant argument about the what the colloquial understanding of classic is

Yeah, I'm really not a fan of this snarky disingeuous shit the same two or three people keep necroposting this thread for

To preface, I actually tend to agree with a lot of what Oldpuck is saying, and I'm going to build up to what, why, and how that is, but I also want to keep it connected to the initial, ongoing conversation of this thread.

Familienähnlichkeit
Let us remember that Wittgenstein is not explaining the concept of a game for its own sake, but rather as part of a larger exploration regarding the function of language. As he employs the impossible task of defining the word "game," so can we see the same, albeit perhaps less extreme, concept with our term "classic Zelda." There might not be a universal definition, but that doesn't stop us from referring to the concept. We continue to do so regardless, expecting to convey meaning in the process.

The lack of an exact, universal definition does not preclude the use of a term: this is what the Familienähnlichkeit concept is about.

And if we fully expect to convey meaning through the term "classic Zelda," what, then, do we mean to establish? There is a general concept which can be generally understood, even if different people might begin from different starting points, or even from the same yet veer into different directions.

Consider the basic music genres of rock and metal; the distinction is often referred to, but many people referring to these couldn't explain what exactly that distinction is, and, if pressed, will each provide different definitions and points of division.

We can also consider the meaning of Familienähnlichkeit, that a clear definition does not precede the use of such a term.

Wittgenstein continues on to suggest that, for particular purposes, we take these nebulous concepts which ready see use, these terms with nonclear definitions, and create parameters, draw lines to define what specifically we're talking about.

And even these lines might have varying degrees of strength. Perhaps the line is implied through context, as in Phendrift's initial statement:
If they keep going the direction TOK went, we could have a pretty nice replacement for classic Zelda in a post-BotW world.
This outlines the meaning as referring to Zelda at a point before the perceived drastic shift -- more on that later, though Oldpuck has also touched on this -- brought about with Breath of the Wild, that is to say, a nonspecific designation, but with a clearly delineated border. Breath of the Wild is something new. And so "classic Zelda" must refer to something that came before.

It is in this context that Nintendianajones64 understands the meaning of Phendrift's statement, but insists that the original The Legend of Zelda and Breath of the Wild are the actual classic Zelda (with the possible implication of invalidity regarding the initial statement).

I find this connection flawed -- again, the aforementioned drastic shift --, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have some sort of reason for this. And, I should note, it is possible that two different people -- or even one same person -- use a term to refer to two different things.

Classic Zelda

I would suggest the general use of the term refers to A Link to the Past and to Zelda games similar to that, specifically regarding the construction of the general progression and gameplay loop, for reasons noted in my previous post:
A Link to the Past and its design were judged as very high quality and became the template going forward, codifying the direction of the series for the next 25 years. That's textbook definition of classic.
This would include games such as Ocarina of Time, which translated the idea of A Link to the Past into 3D, as I'm looking at a broader concept than whether a game is 2D or 3D, top-down oblique or behind-the-shoulder, and so forth, but rather at the underlying principles beyond that.

Now, this still remains some measure of indistinct boundary.

As A Link to the Past is a refinement of the original game, focusing in on some aspects and perhaps deemphasizing others, one might choose to include the original or not. I find it makes sense, given the nature of these games, to include it. Much of the nature remains between the two, though perhaps unrefined in the original.

One might consider the status of the second game, itself, which seems often to be cast aside. For all its differences, an individual very well might see fit to discard it from designation, though for general use, I find Zelda II: The Adventure of Link generally fitting enough for inclusion. We can take into account this consideration:
[...] elements which were iterated upon in the series throughout its history. The original did, after all, have a decent focus on the dungeons and on receiving and using new items, and this was iterated upon going forward -- even in the maverick Adventure of Link.

And here we can develop a framework which begins at the original game before being refined in A Link to the Past and from there runs, yes, even through the 3D games. It is this throughline that seems best representative of the idea of classic Zelda here.

As the series has gone on, a common lament was that it was becoming more linear, but this increase in linearity generally has not led to a conclusion that there has been a drastic shift, to where there is a clear point we can refer to as "classic" or "post-classic." It's somewhat similar to Raccoon's example of classic rock (as it turns out, music is good for these examples):
More broadly, "classic rock" distinguishes it from a vague understanding of the stylistic changes that followed it.

Even with classic rock, we find that what is being referred to is constantly shifting. Newer songs, with perhaps tenuous connection to the previous classic designation, are played on classic stations (I find it might be more helpful to consider the possibility of further designations). This presents similarity to the continued evolution of the classic Zelda structure as has been described, with its focus not on linearity or non-linearity but on different elements.

It is here where I diverge from Oldpuck, to an extent:
I think Skyward Sword is so thoroughly different from previous Zeldas as to be arguably almost as big a break as BotW was from the rest of the series. The lack of a single connected overworld, the redesign of the various regions of the world to be dungeonlike rather than exploratory, the unification of side quests into a single massive fetch quest which required essentially no exploring - it's made up of Zelda pieces but it feels radically different to me.
Similarly, I think Skyward Sword is NOT "classic zelda" - I think the change in overworld and sidequest design make it feel like an abandoned side branch of the family tree as weird and as rapidly abandoned as Zelda II.

I find that Skyward Sword still falls on the same spectrum as those "classic Zeldas," but presents an excessively streamlined take on the idea. It exist somewhere at what seems to be the very edge of where this designation can exist, perhaps a breaking point where it strains the designation but hasn't yet broken through it.

Its existence at this breaking point, as it were, can reasonably lead some to disinclude it from their designation of "classic Zelda," even as it has been described in this post, but I wouldn't suggest it has achieved the drastic shift to be removed from consideration.

It is here, where Skyward Sword finds itself at the very edge of the "classic Zelda formula, that Breath of the Wild places itself as its antithesis. And becomes something else, something outside, entirely.

Something New Altogether

If the idea of classic Zelda is bound within this loose structure, with generally similar progression and game play loop, allowing the wide range of titles as have been discussed, Breath of the Wild eschews many of these concepts and positions itself as something different from the games that have come before.

Here we have seen the argument that this and the original are what define the idea of "classic Zelda, but can it really be so? The original title cleaves to those that followed in various ways, notably the whole idea behind what I have suggested as the loose bounds of "classic Zelda, and how is it that it connects itself to the original? And then, is that connection stronger than that which binds the proposed designation?

It has been suggested that these two are the only games that present actual freedom and non-linearity, but this is contested through the linearity found within the original -- the requitement of equipment found in earlier segments to continue, as indicated in the aforedescribed classic progression and game play loop -- and through looser linearity found in other games.

No, I have been careful to describe what inspiration Breath of the Wild takes from The Legend of Zelda as the feel of freedom:
Breath of the Wild draws from the original Zelda in a feel it's trying to emulate; the others draw from it through other ways.
Breath of the Wild takes inspiration from the original game in one specific way, and also takes inspiration from elsewhere. In the end, it is different in essence from the NES original, and the insistence on grouping them entirely together to the detriment of all else belies that you don't understand either of them in the way you imply.

It is this feel of freedom in The Legend of Zelda that Breath of the Wild attempts to emulate, but it does this specifically by losing the different elements that began in this first game and were thus iterated upon.

The grouping of the two for the purposes of defining "classic Zelda" through virtue of being nonlinear, as such, is tenuous. Breath of the Wild, rather, presents a break from what came before in search of a feel created at the series' inception and in response to growing criticism of the series' trajectory.

As such, I propose that a designation shoving these two games together is insubstsntially supported:
In the end, though, the bulk of the series has followed and iterated upon a particular formula, which has, for the longest time, been codified as the Zelda formula.
This is what is referred to as the classic Zelda formula.

Furthermore, my proposed designation explains what appears to be Phendrift's original meaning, as well as typical usage in general parlance.

Further Consideration

But a further consideration could be the potential for what might be considered further branches -- taking from different areas and going new directions, while still keeping a resemblance --, leaning into that aspect of Oldpuck's statements. And the potential here could prove an interesting experiment.

For instance, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link has seen mention. It's regarded as a divergence from series' form, but, as I noted, can be fit into even that classic designation. I've personally always been interested in what might happen were there to be further installments iterating off that one.

And Majora's Mask tends to be seen as less of an outlier, but it isn't without its own defining elements that could see iteration, with the focus further on side quests and the world and the community within.

That's without considering takes that change things up in their own way, as with Breath of the Wild. A new game with more focus on stamina, bringing that into play more in various different areas, could still be recognizably Zelda, even as it presents a different feel and experience.

Possibilities such as these would only add to the question of Familienähnlichkeit.

Last edited:
if someone says "classic Zelda" to mean most of the Zeldas and you object to that you'll seem like an obstinate jackass

I agree with most of your points. Great read.

The subtitle of that video by Jeremy Parish is literally
"The gold standard." lol

Jeremy was making a pun on the fact that it has gold cartridge. Zelda 1 was a very influencial game, and it would be followed up by other games, but A Link to the Past is the origin of the classic Zelda style, something I am sure Jeremy would comment on if he gets to it in Super NES Works 1992.

BotW is a Zelda 1 style game, so if BotW is new style then the oldest game in the series is new style
Zelda 1 had an environmental chemistry system? Because that's "style" game of BotW. The freedom of dynamic interaction between all objects on the field.

Or are you saying BotW did nothing new that Zelda 1 didn't already do?

What you're saying only makes sense if you completely dilute the games to the singular characteristic of "open world", but if you squint hard you can make anything look like anything.

Kind of hard to say but, I consider the original the template of the series and every entry after attempted to hammer out its kinks but lost some of the intrigue each time (in favor of usually superior game design though). BOTW is the first time the series kind of feels like it captured the magic of the original while also creating an entirely new template to play with and still bridging much (but not all) of what the others brought to the table. I consider it the most faithful game to the original games formula but also a great evolution of it. It's basically a dream game in that sense, but the others are great too.

Zelda 1 had an environmental chemistry system? Because that's "style" game of BotW. The freedom of dynamic interaction between all objects on the field.

Or are you saying BotW did nothing new that Zelda 1 didn't already do?

What you're saying only makes sense if you completely dilute the games to the singular characteristic of "open world", but if you squint hard you can make anything look like anything.
Only Wind Waker has sailing but it isn't its own genre of game

the above post is an extraordinarily long, extraordinarily dense, completely invaluable contribution to this discussion. I strongly encourage anyone who wants to continue this discussion read it in its entirety

(as it turns out, music is good for these examples):
while some of my attempts at simile have admittedly been imperfect, I think recorded music is the most prominent example of genres and thereby categorization in pop culture. it's the most accessible example of this sort of implicit delineation

Jeremy was making a pun on the fact that it has gold cartridge. Zelda 1 was a very influencial game, and it would be followed up by other games, but A Link to the Past is the origin of the classic Zelda style, something I am sure Jeremy would comment on if he gets to it in Super NES Works 1992.
Lol C'mon man. Obviously it's a double meaning. If you watch the video you know he really believes Zelda 1 is the gold standard of not only the Zelda series but of video games in general. He lays out its staggering impact and influence on game design.

Just as what Breath of the Wild is currently doing.

Last edited:
Breath of the Wild plays nothing like Zelda 1 at all (despite the superficial similarities on the surface).

Zelda 1 actually has handcrafted level design with an actual intended difficulty curve; and progression mechanics with an ever expanding set of items that allow for enhanced traversal and ever expanding combat mechanics and puzzle solving gameplay (however basic it may be in Zelda 1). BOTW is an Ubisoft Open World game with half of its mechanics stolen from Minecraft; there is no mechanical progression past the Great Plateau, there are no dungeons and there is no semblance of handcrafted level design outside of the factory produced shrines (all of which are completely disconnected from the rest of the game and have a completely flat difficulty curve applied to all of them).

Zelda 1 and ALTTP have a hell of a lot more in common than Zelda 1 and BOTW do; hell, even if we consider the notion of "player freedom", ALTTP's dungeons can be completed in almost any order you want once you reach the Dark World! (despite having an intended order).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom