• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club I'm obsessed with the Nicole Kidman AMC Theatres ad

Aurc

Trust The Process
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him

When I first saw this ad, I groaned. I was annoyed. I thought it was pure cringe.

That was before coming to my senses and recognizing its brilliance. Somehow, cringe feels good in a place like AMC Theatres.

Lately, I've started going to the movies again. I've always loved the movie theater experience, but the pandemic kinda put a halt on the whole thing for me, and only now am I getting reacquainted with how engrossing it can be to watch a cinematic story unfold over the course of a couple hours, while life's worries simply fade into the background. Not just entertained, but somehow reborn.

First it was Blue Beetle, then The Super Mario Bros. Movie, followed by Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem, Saw X, and A Haunting in Venice. I barely even wanted to see a couple of these, but I went for Queen Kidman. My eyes were opened just a little more with each viewing. That indescribable feeling when the emotional music starts, and the ad begins to play. It was like finding religion, to be honest.

The Nicole Kidman AMC Theatres ad isn't just cornball nonsense advertising the moviegoing experience to an audience already about to watch a movie. Rather, it's an ode to escapism in general. Because we need that. All of us.

I'll be seeing Killers of the Flower Moon this weekend, and I plan to stand up and salute the ad from the first second, to the last. People may laugh. People may cry. People may care. I'm anxious, but excited. Everyone should bear witness to my devotion. Perhaps it could inspire something in them.

I kid you not, every time I see this ad with friends in the theater, we find it increasingly funny to the point we outright cheer for it.

I kid you not, every time I see this ad with friends in the theater, we find it increasingly funny to the point we outright cheer for it.
That's the spirit!!! It's a cultural cornerstone, at this point! I've seen the ad referred to on Reddit as "LA lore" because it was filmed at the AMC in Porter Ranch, Los Angeles, and that resonates with me. I don't live too far from that particular AMC, and I soon see myself making my "journey to Mecca", of sorts. I'll report back here once I make that trip. Only reason I'm not seeing Killers of the Flower Moon there is because they don't have IMAX.

WE COME TO THIS PLACE FOR MAGIC. WE COME TO AMC THEATERS TO LAUGH, TO CRY, TO CARE. BECAUSE WE NEED THAT, ALL OF US.

I'm disappointed that you posted this thread as an Admin and didn't include a single Seinfeld reference. I would report your OP but I respect the team too much to do so.

c89orhwi8b951.jpg

I make the same joke every time I see this ad. It's right when she says something about "going places we've never been before" while Jurassic World flashes on screen. I say "we've been there 6 times" and whoever got suckered into seeing a movie with me groans.

As an A-List member, her monologue has already been ingrained in me like a childhood cartoon tv show theme song.

I am stuck with it for life.

You ever see the ad Regal did to counter this?

It's so bad
Oh god. Don't remind me.

"So you're telling me there's a chance?"

🤮

One of the comments on the video says they finally retired it. Good! It's not endearing in the way the AMC ad is, it's just viscerally uncomfortable.

I'm disappointed that you posted this thread as an Admin and didn't include a single Seinfeld reference. I would report your OP but I respect the team too much to do so.

c89orhwi8b951.jpg
This popcorn is making me thirsty!
I make the same joke every time I see this ad. It's right when she says something about "going places we've never been before" while Jurassic World flashes on screen. I say "we've been there 6 times" and whoever got suckered into seeing a movie with me groans.
💀 I've thought the exact same thing, so I'd give your joke a courtesy laugh. One of the few "flaws" in an otherwise masterpiece! I've seen people suggest they should at least swap out the movies she's watching, and I agree. Make the ad truly timeless, AMC. Run it for the next decade.

Oh god. Don't remind me.

"So you're telling me there's a chance?"

🤮

One of the comments on the video says they finally retired it. Good! It's not endearing in the way the AMC ad is, it's just viscerally uncomfortable.

This popcorn is making me thirsty!

💀 I've thought the exact same thing, so I'd give your joke a courtesy laugh. One of the few "flaws" in an otherwise masterpiece! I've seen people suggest they should at least swap out the movies she's watching, and I agree. Make the ad truly timeless, AMC. Run it for the next decade.

686.png

When I put in effort, things do tend to get ridiculous 😉
You make threads better like AMC Theatres makes movies better. A real top shelf Fami bloke. I'd rank you up there among the likes of Danny DeVito, Nicole Kidman, Jason Alexander, and The Process!

I don't know which came first, the Nicole Kidman one or the John Boyega one VUE Cinemas have in the UK

I feel like I've seen the Kidman one in a cinema but I don't know how I would have, unless it's been running for a long time

I don't know which came first, the Nicole Kidman one or the John Boyega one VUE Cinemas have in the UK

I feel like I've seen the Kidman one in a cinema but I don't know how I would have, unless it's been running for a long time

The Boyega one is gone I think, I haven't seen it at Vue recently. What they do have is that really condescending etiquette message where the screen goes dark and Daniel Kaluuya coaches you through turning off your phone. "You got this! Let's do this!" When I saw Barbie I had to sit through that while discovering the coffee they sold me was rancid. Somehow...heartbreak did not feel good in a place like that.

The Boyega one is gone I think, I haven't seen it at Vue recently. What they do have is that really condescending etiquette message where the screen goes dark and Daniel Kaluuya coaches you through turning off your phone. "You got this! Let's do this!" When I saw Barbie I had to sit through that while discovering the coffee they sold me was rancid. Somehow...heartbreak did not feel good in a place like that.
Yeah I think I've seen it.

What other kind of coffee would you expect? Most coffee shops can't even serve a decent cup.

No way you actually made this post lmao. Ironically, because of how much you like the ad, it's kinda grown on me too. Could be Stockholm syndrome since I went to the movies a lot in a similar short period. Or maybe it is just that good? Like I said though, it's probably ironic either way. Every time it comes up though, I only think of Aurc.

Knock on wood that the sequel is as good. I don't think it can be, but yknow. Don't have the ability to see the future and all. Maybe it'll ignite something more in us. And wouldn't that be special? Now... to watch this ad again...

Core memory:

Remember sitting through this before watching so much rubbish as a kid.

This was my favorite pre-show trailer.

Mine too

I went to a packed showing of something years ago and the whole theater put their hands up and leaned with the turns, going "whoooaaa.. whoooaaaaaaa" the whole time, and a few people screamed when the last big kernal went off 🤣

No way you actually made this post lmao. Ironically, because of how much you like the ad, it's kinda grown on me too. Could be Stockholm syndrome since I went to the movies a lot in a similar short period. Or maybe it is just that good? Like I said though, it's probably ironic either way. Every time it comes up though, I only think of Aurc.

Knock on wood that the sequel is as good. I don't think it can be, but yknow. Don't have the ability to see the future and all. Maybe it'll ignite something more in us. And wouldn't that be special? Now... to watch this ad again...
Everyone just stop for a second and read the first letter of each sentence in this post, please.

7361a2f81d6cd154839ab18c5699749d.gif

I want to know if Nicole Kidman knew this ad was going to be absolutely bonkers while filming it, or if she's such a pro that sort of thing just doesn't even cross her mind

I want to know if Nicole Kidman knew this ad was going to be absolutely bonkers while filming it, or if she's such a pro that sort of thing just doesn't even cross her mind
Nicole Kidman doesn't do what Nicole Kidman does for Nicole Kidman. Nicole Kidman does what Nicole Kidman does because Nicole Kidman is Nicole Kidman.

That's the spirit!!! It's a cultural cornerstone, at this point! I've seen the ad referred to on Reddit as "LA lore" because it was filmed at the AMC in Porter Ranch, Los Angeles, and that resonates with me. I don't live too far from that particular AMC, and I soon see myself making my "journey to Mecca", of sorts. I'll report back here once I make that trip. Only reason I'm not seeing Killers of the Flower Moon there is because they don't have IMAX.
I was already beaten to this particular phrasing. This account is a treasure:

On the screen, a hooded figure emerged from the dark and rainy night sky and stepped into a puddle in stilettos. It was the Nicole Kidman ad for AMC, of course, and the crowd began bristling with excitement. By this point, the commercial had already become something of a sensation, prompting applause and even recitals from some audiences.

“We were expecting something to happen because it had sort of become a meme already, but it’s usually just clapping,” said Becca Gleason, a writer and director who was in the audience that night. “Then this man stood up and saluted — and it was just a glorious moment in time.”

@Metroid:
“If you didn’t like the ad initially, you’ve probably been Stockholm Syndromed into enjoying it after being relentlessly bombarded by internet dummies referencing the fact that heartbreak feels good in a place like this,” Moussa said.

Such a good article
I knew of the article from a prior Google search, but this was my first time actually reading it in its entirety, and it's such a masterfully put together piece, in the way it highlights the cultural phenomenon of this ad. I especially like the note it ends on:
“A lot of people saw that commercial beforehand and thought it was kind of cheesy or overly earnest, and it is,” Meuli said. “But I think what we’ve all bought into — my group of friends — is that that’s OK. And I think the world needs people like Nicole Kidman to care about stuff.”

“I, of course, think it’s kind of goofy, but I love it,” he added. “I love the movies, I love Nicole Kidman, and I think the world as it is right now needs more people to care about things.

“If this is a cult, I'm happy to be in this cult. But this is a very open-door, everyone-is-welcome cult. The only requirement is that you love movies and Nicole Kidman.”

I knew of the article from a prior Google search, but this was my first time actually reading it in its entirety, and it's such a masterfully put together piece, in the way it highlights the cultural phenomenon of this ad. I especially like the note it ends on:
Yeah we need more cults of positivity I think

Well now I'm looking forward to seeing this ad again when I go to see Killers of the Flower Moon...weird.

@Metroid:
“It was a minute of waxing poetic about the power of the movies from a woman whose most high-profile roles for the past five years were in prestige TV. She was all dressed up in this warm yet empty theater. Her accent was all over the place; some Rs were hard, some were not,” Moussa said. “It was just so unexpected and so inexplicably constructed, but it was built around an actress so of course gay people paid attention.
Moussa noted that the commercial plays nationally and in wide distribution to a captive audience, helping to drive the ad into people’s collective consciousness. But he said it’s the ad’s “terminally online” fans — many of them gay — who have done the work over the past year to keep the AMC memes flowing across social media.
...I don't think I'm bisexual enough for the meme life.

I had lunch with some friends and the conversation got onto musicals and then Moulin Rouge, and they started talking about how much they hate Moulin Rouge and what an absolutely terrible actress Nicole Kidman is

And then they invited me to spend Thanksgiving with them

They shoulda done those things in a different order

Sitting in the theater having just seen The Iron Claw and I am fucked all the way up. I was expecting some harsh, drug-filled drama about rasslin wildmen that I heard had great cinematography and the dude from The Bear but what I got instead was an extremely sad and powerful story about toxic masculinity and generational trauma and what that did to a real family that sincerely loved each other. I am in tears right now.

But that's okay, because somehow heartbreak feels good in a place like this.

This caught my eye: AMC selling their own candy for the first time in a century!

Need an AMC Freak to give me a review.
"noted in the company’s Q1 earnings call that wholesale brand-name candy companies were charging AMC up to 33% more"

Corporate price hikes starting to hurt other corporations, damn

now where's my tiny violin...

Back
Top Bottom