• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion If Seven New Characters Were To Come To Mario Kart 8 This Year, Who Would You Pick And Why? Edit: Birdo + Five More Confirmed!!

Delete Baby Daisy
Delete Baby Rosalina
Delete Metal/Gold Mario
Delete Pink Gold Peach

Add Kamek
Add Peter Piranha
Add Wiggler
Add Spike
Add Chargin' Chuck
Add Pauline
Add Lubba

Kamek
Chargin' Chuck
Petey
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
Funky Kong
King K Rool

Apart from K Rool, these are all in Tour, so why the fuck aren't they in 8D

I'm going to make this easy on myself and grab a few listed in a separate post from a while ago.

• Pauline -- the classic from all the way back in the Donkey Kong (vs Jumpman!) days. Pauline was largely left by the wayside for a long time, but has recently made a resurgence. Both classic and modern, she's an obvious choice.
  • Professor E. Gadd -- eccentric inventor and ghost researcher, the professor has been important in the Luigi's Mansion series and has even broken through to other Mario-related properties.
  • Vivian -- fan favorite from the Paper Mario series, for all the reasons. She should exist more.
  • Cranky Kong -- Let's get some geriatric dude in here.
  • Captain Syrup -- Her rightful spot in these Mario spinoffs was stolen by that dastardly Waluigi, and we will stand for this no longer. It's time to give the captain her due respect.
  • Mona -- has lots of experience driving quickly in unsafe conditions courtesy of her pizza delivery gig.
  • Captain Toad -- A breakout star in the overall franchise. He's distinct, and he's begun adventuring in his own little spinoff series.

Granted, the post I'm pulling from dealt more with the future direction of the series overall, but I'll roll with it.

I know this is "mario kart" but since they have already added splatoon to deluxe, I would love for more characters from splatoon, dread, FDC, and Xenoblade. This is one of the best selling games of all time across any platform, let it become a celebration of Nintendo's top tier characters I think. If we assume the booster pass will bring in some characters, from your list I'd love Kirby and Pauline. Maybe we could have Pyra/Mythra, Ayumi, Dread Samus, and more?
characters from Dread, huh?

i want an EMMI and also Raven Beak

Donkey Kong Jr
Pauline
Stanley the Bug Man
Pianta
Noki
Space Platinum Rosalina
Nasty Tin Waluigi

I want DK Jr back, Pauline is obvious. Get Stanley in there as a tease for the new Donkey Kong game. Pianta is a classic design, Noki are there counterparts, and we need more metal forms.

Yes. Despite my issues with Dread's accessibility (not difficulty) and the lack of a compelling soundtrack, samus in dread rules. Also imagine an EMMI car!

• Funky Kong - best character from Wii
  • Honey Queen - best character from 7
  • Foreman Spike - could tie into the movie, maybe has a Wrecking Crew course
  • Pauline - what, would you rather have the boss rabbits from Odyssey
  • Shulk - they could give him unique voice lines for when he uses items
  • Melia - don't think Mario Kart has any bird characters yet
  • Riki - my wife thinks the Nopon are cute

What if I told you that Bowser had more kids that he conspicuously never mentioned until just now?

Seriously, though, let King Bob-Omb cook.

Donkey Kong Jr. - For SNES version nostalgia
Kamek - Was supposed to be in N64 and I think was dropped for Wario?
Pauline - She's been reincorporated into the fold proper after B-listing it in Mario vs. DK so she's overdue
Birdo - Weirdly absent since Double Dash
Diddy Kong - Another weird absence
Dixie Kong - To go with Diddy and round out the Kong representation
Petey Pirahna - Another weird absence

As much as I'm not into the whole Nintendo Kart idea, EMMI could be humorous.

If there has to be a Metroid character, though, we do have an option that's been shown to be able to pilot things.
I'm not big into the whole Nintendo Kart thing, but allow me to throw some contenders into the ring who exude cuteness and character, as one might expect from the Mario Kart series:
metroidkarthjjrt.png

dachoraetecoonkartjikx9.png
cutebirdiekartifjdv.png

These all seem like they would fit the aesthetic perfectly and represent Metroid very well.
Dachora and Etecoon:
dachoraetecoonkartjikx9.png

maybe some of the more fun alts like Luigi’s Mansion King Boo as well.
Really, though, for the next one I do like the idea of proper King Boo here being the standard.

Seriously, though, let King Bob-Omb cook.
... this sounds like a recipe for a major explosion.
... this is his special power, a one-time-use self-combustion that can be pulled out when all hope is lost, an act of chaos that takes him and those around him out of the race (or, at least puts those others at a major diasadvantage), like the bomb-kart in 64's battle mode

Wanted to bump this thread! I had a very good feeling we’d be getting new Mario Kart characters in Wave 4. It felt like the right way to generate some fresh excitement for the Booster Course Pass’s second year and now here we are with Birdo!

Are you feeling good about your picks? Anyone else you want to see added? If you haven’t posted yet definitely jump in!

Personal guess here, we’ll get a second surprise character alongside Birdo in Wave 4 and then we’ll get two more in Wave 5 and three more in Wave 6.

Delete Baby Daisy
Delete Baby Rosalina
Delete Metal/Gold Mario
Delete Pink Gold Peach

Add Kamek
Add Peter Piranha
Add Wiggler
Add Spike
Add Chargin' Chuck
Add Pauline
Add Lubba
I main Baby Daisy.

The baby characters have awesome mini turbo stat's.

Wanted to bump this thread! I had a very good feeling we’d be getting new Mario Kart characters in Wave 4. It felt like the right way to generate some fresh excitement for the Booster Course Pass’s second year and now here we are with Birdo!

Are you feeling good about your picks? Anyone else you want to see added? If you haven’t posted yet definitely jump in!

Personal guess here, we’ll get a second surprise character alongside Birdo in Wave 4 and then we’ll get two more in Wave 5 and three more in Wave 6.
That’s exactly what I was thinking!
In Wave 5, we could get Diddy and Funky Kong
And in Wave 6, I could see us getting some baddies like Kamek, Hammer Brother, and Petey Piranha (the last of which i’m confident will make it, because of that Piranha Plant track)

Sooo happy Birdo is back. I honestly didn't expect characters to be added.

Now bring back the Kongs, Kamek etc.!

As someone who put Birdo on their list I feel extremely vindicated for no real reason.

Very happy Birdo is back her and Yoshi have always been my mains, I really want Pauline/Diddy/Dixie in though.. It's crazy that they're not in yet.

Seven is a strict number, but...
  • Birdo
  • Diddy Kong
  • Funky Kong
  • Dixie Kong
  • Pauline
  • Kamek
  • Cappy
As was already mentioned in the thread, there's so much material in Tour that it's hard to cover all of the best ones. The one exception I'm listing is Cappy, whose lack pf presence in spinoffs other than Smash is criminal. I'm also not covering alternate costumes or color variants, which could be used to great effect on, say, Hammer Bro., let alone characters already in MK8D.
ONE DOWN, SIX TO GO (look I know Cappy won't be added, let me have this)

since it seems like only three will be added, I'm going with
  • Birdo (of course)
  • Pauline
  • Blue Shell Paratroopa (alongside the Blue Shell Cup!)

I wanted to say Funky Kong would come with Wii's Rainbow Road but that would require both skipping Diddy Kong and dipping into characters from outside Nintendo

It's probably because I don't possess my own copy of Mario Kart 8 DX, but Birdo is a character I'm really good at forgetting hasn't actually been included this whole time. It just seems like she should already be there, you know?

So adding her in now seems like a step at putting things in order.

Considering a DK track was datamined for... Tour? I believe it was... Diddy at the very least has a very good chance to be playable finally.

Another character that fits that general description, and, as such, one I very well wouldn't be surprised to see added.

As much as I'm really not big on DLC, these are characters that just feel like they should already be there.

So, you're telling me Pauline has a valid shot to be added to MK8?

DO IT.

Meanwhile, Pauline, being a newcomer to the series and undergoing a resurgence in popularity, almost seems like a character Nintendo would save for the next entry, a major addition to entice purchase of the new game after the DLC has been rolled out.

At this point, though, her inclusion is basically mandatory.

@xghost777 between the Persona Switch thread and now this, you clearly have a way of willing things into existence

Oh hey, Xghost, would you be interested in manifesting my [i]Star Fox[/i] story-so-far-in-one, a springboard for the series' future concept?

I've got plenty more where that came from, too.

I actually think Pink Gold Peach is kind of cool at this point and they should just do metal skins for every character with different metals and maybe like Ozzy Osbourne for the mii
I love her and unironically think this would be great, yeah. I actually think gem variants for some characters would be fun, give me something stupid like Ametrine Birdo or Rose Quartz Wendy.

I'm still a bit befuddled as to why they didn't add more characters into all of the DLC waves if they're going to start randomly throwing them in now. Like, a new character per wave would have made so much sense, especially as they have models ready to go from Tour. Maybe they got feedback that this is what people really wanted

Lol going to go with my 5 favorite video game characters even though they'll probably seem ridiculous in Mario Kart to most, but at this point Mario Kart is basically Nintendo Kart anyways so I think it's fine lol:

1. Yveltal
2. Elfilin
3. Golisopod
4. Kabutops
5. Scizor

I'm still a bit befuddled as to why they didn't add more characters into all of the DLC waves if they're going to start randomly throwing them in now. Like, a new character per wave would have made so much sense, especially as they have models ready to go from Tour. Maybe they got feedback that this is what people really wanted
Feels to me like this pass got a bump of budget mid-production.

First wave looked so ugly, now each wave is getting more and more beautiful, we're getting to a point where, while it's still clearly not MK8's "realistic" art direction for the environement, the difference isn't as noticeable anymore.

So they probably also decided to add new characters mid production as a result.
Bumping this. 5 more characters are confirmed! Who do you want to see added!
Funky Kong is the only one I really care about. Kamek and DK Jr as nods to the OG game and how Kamek was almost playable in 64 would be cool too. Though JR only has a sprite model in Tour, so I'm not sure he's very likely.

Funky and Kamek are almost guaranteed though imo.

My guess is : Diddy Kong, Funky Kong, Kamek, Petey Piranah, Pauline.
Wasn't so sure about Pauline since I thought the DLC characters would be more about classic Mario Kart characters returning, and that Pauline wouldn't have that feeling, but I figured since the DLC is having that much Tour original races, might as well include a Tour exclusive character as well !

Diddy, Funky, and Petey are basically locks now. We got 5 characters spots open in the CSS, and those 3 are similar to Birdo as veterans revived in Tour who missed MK8D. DK Jr. is possible but he was brought back into Tour as his SNES sprite so it's hard to tell if they would actually add him as a sprite into MK8D.

The mystery is the last 2 and I think they're Tour characters. Pauline is the most obvious since she's in every spinoff now. But who's the 2nd? Hammer Bro, Peachette (ugh), Dixie Kong, and Kamek all have things in their favor imo.

Pauline is all that matters to me, anyone else is a bonus

I'd also definitely main Luigi's Mansion King Boo, but since we already have boring generic regular King Boo in the game that probably won't happen.

I’m thinking Wave 5 gets Petey and Pauline and then Wave 6 gets Diddy, Dixie, and Funky. A more left field pick would be cool, but I’ll be happy as long as we get Dixie.

I just want Captain Toad with the unique ability that he can‘t jump or fly for too long because his backpack is too heavy.

I’m thinking Wave 5 gets Petey and Pauline and then Wave 6 gets Diddy, Dixie, and Funky. A more left field pick would be cool, but I’ll be happy as long as we get Dixie.
This would be my picks, Diddy's a lock as far as I'm concerned, Petey & Funky would pretty much round off the GCN/Wii rosters, and Dixie & Pauline would make the most sense among the Tour cast to bring back (or forward I guess?) I feel. Honestly it almost feels too perfect, I feel like knowing Nintendo they are gonna toss in at least one oddball pick. Like bring back a cheap to make character like Paratroopa instead of one of the fan favorites, something like that.

Back
Top Bottom