• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion If Seven New Characters Were To Come To Mario Kart 8 This Year, Who Would You Pick And Why? Edit: Birdo + Five More Confirmed!!

Now the Birdo, the biggest omission, has made it in, I'm hoping to see

1) Vivian
2) Plum
3) Maple
4) Pauline
5) Captain Syrup

Best choices I can think of! These would truly make MK8D the game of a generation.

1) Diddy Kong
2) Pauline
3) Peter Pirahna
4) Funky Kong

And that 5th character is in the non-Mario character section….

5) Olimar

I fully expect Petey. Pauline makes too much sense, and that opens up the possibility for Baby Pauline too 😂

I would imagine another Kong is likely, and maybe something esoteric like ROB or Queen Bee.

Also I would absolutely love it if they were to patch in a co-op mode. Not quite double dash but if there was a way to have two players handle one kart like DD with one player driving and the other managing items I would seriously love that. I’d love to have a low stakes way of playing with a lesser skilled player rather than playing co-op GP mode with me taking first all the time while they’re struggling to get out of the middle ranks.

Like with DD style co-op I could man the armaments while also coaching them with driving while they can focus on steering and getting a feel for the controls and not have to worry about which item does what. At least that’s the dream.

okay I'm a sucker for these

1. Diddy Kong
2. Pauline
3. Kamek
4. Petey Piranha (lame imo but whatever)
5. Zelda (Tears of the Kingdom)

Zelda will of course do a little switcheroo with the Mii slot

Meanwhile, Pauline, being a newcomer to the series and undergoing a resurgence in popularity, almost seems like a character Nintendo would save for the next entry, a major addition to entice purchase of the new game after the DLC has been rolled out.

Nintendo: next major entry? You mean MK8D Ultimate?

After Birdo, I think Diddy Kong, Petey Piranha, and Pauline are pretty much guaranteed, but I’m not sure about the other two. Personally, I’m rooting for Hammer Bro (with Boomerang Bro, Fire Bro, and Ice Bro variants) and Kamek, since those two were planned to be in previous Mario Kart games but were cut before they eventually became playable in Tour, but I wouldn’t really say either of them are a safe bet, unfortunately. I’d also like to see Dixie Kong get in (especially over Funky Kong), though I dunno if they’d make a third of the new characters be Kongs.

My biggest hope, though, is for the last DLC character to be a guest newcomer rather than a returning Mario Kart character—specifically, Sportsmate from Nintendo Switch Sports, complete with a variety of different body types as variants. Yes, really! Not only do I think they’d fit great in Mario Kart—probably more so than any other potential non-Mario EPD characters—especially alongside the Villagers and Inklings, but it’s the only character that wouldn’t bother the hell out of me being on the bottom row and to the right of the Mii icon, lol. Of course, I don’t expect it to happen, but I’d be thrilled if it did!

EDIT: Gonna add my latest mockup of my current hopes for DLC characters, of those already in Tour:

FqzL7UwaQAAktHb

I feel like the order on the character select screen works nicely with all of these, too, assuming they’d be released in this order. Birdo is on the top row after all the princesses (well, and Tanooki Mario, lol) and right before Yoshi on the next row; Petey Piranha is right next to his partner from Double Dash!! (King Boo); Pauline is…after the babies and the metal characters, putting her right next to a Peach variant (okay, this one doesn’t have much going for it but the only better place for her would be Birdo’s spot); Hammer Bro is right next to Dry Bowser in the row with all the other Bowser’s Castle associated characters (Bowser, Dry Bones, Bowser Jr.); Kamek comes after all the Koopalings, which is fitting because they’re all Bowser’s highest in command after Bowser himself and Bowser Jr.; and Diddy Kong…gets the unfortunate position of being at the very bottom right after Miis, but hey, of all these characters he’s the most guest-like one since he’s distinctly a Donkey Kong Country character rather than a character born from the Super Mario series (or one that originated before the split like Mario and Donkey Kong themselves), so it works, I guess. 🤷

And here’s a bonus mockup with Sportsmates as well:

Last edited:
They said from past Mario Kart games so I assume that's basically the same as what we're getting course wise, where it's primarily Tour and also some past Mario Kart, thus I'd say:

-Diddy Kong
-Pauline
-Petey Piranha
-Kamek
-Nabbit

Sadly I think King Bob-omb, Dixie Kong, and Funky will be passed up.

If and when they announce Diddy Kong I will stand up and scream “Yesssss!!!!”

He is one of my Smash mains, and DKC1 and DKC2 were staples of my childhood. I have been missing him as a kart racer since 2014.

If they don’t announce Diddy Kong, I will stand up and scream “where the f*ck is Diddy Kong?!?”

Please Nintendo.

What if they do a complete swerve and include the exclusive characters from the Mario Kart Arcade GP games?

Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Blinky (the red ghost), Mametchi (from Tamagotchi) and Don-Chan (from Taiko no Tatsujin).

Last edited:
What if they do a complete swerve and include the exclusive characters from the Mario Kart Arcade GP games?

Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Blinky (the red ghost), Mametchi (from Tamagotchi) and Don-Chan (from Taiko no Tatsujin).
I’d be very confused lol.

I have some Mario and Nintendo cuts I want prioritized first, but that would be cool to see some third party crossover characters. Wasn’t a big fan of the arcade game when I finally played it, but seeing Pac-Man and the Taiko Drum was surreal.

Diddy Kong obviously
Dixie Kong instead of Funky, please
Pauline, with Mayor Pauline skin
Samus, they go back on their word and add a totally new character
Professor E. Gadd

Wave 5: Petey Piranha (ties into Piranha Plant Cove) and Chargin Chuck (ties into Los Angeles Laps)

Wave 6: Diddy Kong, Funky Kong, and Pauline (ties into the leaked DK track and my proposed New Donk City track)

So what's the consensus on future waves? Do you folks think we're getting waves after 6? I'm leaning more towards that with 5 characters remaining

We'll probably get sets, like, say, Diddy and Dixie and Funky/Pauline for a DK-themed pack.

Sets for such a small number of additional characters would be a real letdown.

When you're only giving out 5 more characters, you should make them as varied as possible. Everyone hated the babies for taking up so much of the roster, and if they added mostly Kong's, that would be seen with exactly the same amount of frustration.

They should just do Diddy Kong, and then look elsewhere.

Smells good in here like well aged cheese

I am ready for Petey and Pauline! Diddy is an obvious miss too.
okay after more thought: Petey, Pauline, Diddy, Honey Queen and Kamek

this breaks the bottom row being non-Nintendo characters so if necessary I'll remove Waluigi for Kirby /s mk7 joke

Diddy Kong obviously
Dixie Kong instead of Funky, please
Pauline, with Mayor Pauline skin
Samus, they go back on their word and add a totally new character
Professor E. Gadd

I would die if they added E. Gadd and a LM3 themed course where you climb the tower to fly down

My wishlist/prediction will be:

• Pauline
  • Diddy Kong
  • Dixie Kong
  • Petey Piranha
  • Zelda

Diddy and Dixie as a two-fer seems like a solid option. Maybe we should also be looking at the upcoming movie for inspiration as well. Given Kamek has a prominent role in that, maybe my dream of getting him in a non-mobile game will come true at last

Back
Top Bottom