• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion If Mercurysteam Were To Make A Metroid Fusion Remake What Would You Want To Be Changed, And What Would You Want To Stay Absolutely The Same?

I have so many issues with fusion that if they were all addressed, the game wouldn't be metroid fusion anymore. Without changing the core of the game, I can only say I'd like the navigation room scenes to be skipable, the ability to more freely go to different zones, and the removal of the level 1-4 LOCKs

Being able to skip the required navigation rooms (or have the information fed to you in real time) is really the only issue I have with the game. Constantly going to a room and being locked, doing something for a few minutes, go back and get locked in again, take elevator, get locked again in an identical room, rinse and repeat, it's a bit annoying since it stops everything dead in its tracks. for no real reason beyond the introduction.

I truly hope that won't be the case ever. Super and fusion are perfect as they are, a delightful to play, so better to focus on the future. But regarding the question, I wouldn't change anything. The game is perfect as it is.

I have so many issues with fusion that if they were all addressed, the game wouldn't be metroid fusion anymore. Without changing the core of the game, I can only say I'd like the navigation room scenes to be skipable, the ability to more freely go to different zones, and the removal of the level 1-4 LOCKs
Yeah I have no interest in a Fusion remake. The game, flawed as it is, exists with a clear concept where changes would go against that concept. Just make new Metroid games.

I'd change the part where it is made by MercurySteam

Toward the end of the game, they tease 10 SA-X on board the station at once but they don't really do anything with that premise. I want to see it fully realized.

Doesn’t need a remake at all, especially when Dread is already Fusion 2. It also got rehashed when Other M came out, we got our fix of that part of the timeline. Just make a new Metroid game, preferably one where you can actually get lost and that focuses more on exploration so the zoomers that thought Dread was too linear know what’s up

I'd keep the colours and definitely the elevator sequence. I'd like 2D Metroid to move beyond the block-based level design (like having missile and bomb blocks). Replace these with more varied shapes.

Just tweak the map a bit so that sequence breaking is possible without derailing the plot, like they accomplished in Dread. And employ some of the lessons you learned with EMMIs to spice up SA-X sections. Otherwise, rework some of the bosses and you're pretty much there. Maybe extend the ending a bit so the whole "There are now 10 SA-X" line actually means something.

increase the AI of SA-X and it encontrer, flesh the corrupt Galatic Federation subplot, show Adam massage in real time

it'd be interesting to see how they'd redesign the suit, personally I wouldn't mind considering I love how Dread suits looked. There is probably a way to go hard into the more organic style without looking as garish as the original (which was also done to compensate for the lack of backlight for the OG gba if I'm not mistaken).

Also the bosses would be massively improved, imo, if they do indeed use all the experience they have gained from Returns and Dread. Maybe they'd also challenge themselves to not use the counter system and find another way to spice up the combat.

But honestly I'd rather they keep going forward and just make all the GBA games available on NSO (Fusion already there just need Zero Mission) .

Only missing piece would be Returns that honestly could use another remaster/remake refining the combat, level design, visuals after everything Dread brought to the table.

Last edited:
Since saying “Fusion doesn’t need a remake” isn’t in the spirit of this thread and remakes don’t change the fact that the original exists, here are some changes:
  1. Somehow render Other M as non-canon because it’s so narratively incoherent, inconsistent, and ultimately fails in almost every way. Also, Samus’ characterization is laughably terrible. And Adam shooting Samus toward the end is “LOL, what?”
  2. Redesign the Fusion suit. Samus’ new Power Suit in Dread is 🤌 so a redesign in that vein would be welcome.
  3. Not really a Fusion change: Ship Adam’s voice in Dread is not great, and I’d welcome a change should the cutscenes be voiced.
  4. It’s okay if Samus talks. 🤷‍♀️ [gets booed off stage] But really, the voice direction simply needs to be better than Other M which isn’t even a high bar to clear.
  5. If Samus Returns/Dread enhancements are added, the level design should be updated as well to accommodate them.
What should stay the same:
  1. Game length should remain about the same. No need to overstay its welcome because it’s a remake. I don’t necessarily need extra content if the game feels complete as is. Fusion felt as long as it needed to be even if I was never skilled enough to get some of the upgrades.
  2. I mostly liked the music. While those would get re-recorded, I’d prefer the tracks not get replaced or that the arrangement wasn’t wildly different.
  3. SA-X chase scenes should remain (though I’d expect the AI to be better).

To be honest, I wouldn't necessarily want MercurySteam to be the developer on a Fusion remake, for reasons ranging from petty, to valid (imo).

Petty reason out of the way first: their redesigns for the Fusion Suit are kinda ugly, and completely disregard the sleek appearance of the original. The OG Fusion Suit has always been my #1 favorite look for Samus, and that's partly attributable to the fact that it's extremely different from her typically bulkier suits. On a spectrum, it'd be closer to Spider-Man, than a Space Marine from Warhammer.
m4_ending_sp1.gif

m4_ending1.gif

MercurySteam's redesign (on the left) completely misses this, instead opting for that bulkier look. The Arm Cannon in particular is suddenly huge, and the shoulders have been brought more in line with that of Samus's other suits.

I did say my first reason would be petty, so yeah. I know it's just fanboy nitpicking, but I much prefer the original look of the suit, so if MercurySteam did end up remaking Fusion someday, I'd hope they'd go with a more faithful design.

Ok, now for what I feel is a more valid reason to favor another developer over them for a Fusion remake: if it was MercurySteam on the project, it'd likely end up another 2D game in the vein of Samus Returns and Dread, and that'd be fine and all, but I feel like there's greater potential in a 3D remake. I wanna experience B.S.L. and the horrors of the X Parasite in a whole new dimension. I've been going back to Fusion for replay after replay ever since I was a kid, and I just think it'd be awesome to be able to explore that station and see some of those bosses (Serris, Yakuza, etc.) completely reimagined in a third-person 3D style. Obviously you'd also have the threat of a less scripted, more dynamic SA-X throughout, and just thinking about that gets me excited.

Fusion is far from the sacred cow Super Metroid is, so I think the change would have far less potential for fan backlash. It's something I don't think will ever actually manifest, though. I don't believe Nintendo would have any interest in something like that, as much as I may want it.

The OG Fusion Suit has always been my #1 favorite look for Samus, and that's partly attributable to the fact that it's extremely different from her typically bulkier suits. On a spectrum, it'd be closer to Spider-Man, than a Space Marine from Warhammer.
More Kamen Rider than Spider-Man, to be a pedant:

There is no reason whatsoever to remake Fusion instead of making a sequel to Dread.

Metroid Other M was already basically a remake of Fusion as well.

Pretty cool! I'm not familiar with Kamen Rider beyond a surface level, so I never would've made this connection. I like it.

Zebesians look somewhat like that as well:
Tokusatsu homages are omnipresent in Japanese sci-fi, though to bring it full circle Japanese Spider-Man was also very influential in the toku space.

Maybe next game Samus can get a cool henshin:

If it was just 2D besides the obvious QOL bump of being able to skip navigation rooms in some way, I’m not really sure what a remake would add. I like @Aurc ‘s idea of a 3D remake. Sounds like there is some cool potential there.

I'd want them to cancel it and work on Metroid 6 instead.

Seriously though, go crazy. Keep all the bosses and expand upon the SAX setpieces. Don't change the story too much. They can make it a few hours longer, but don't make it as bloated as Samus Returns.

Fix the SA-X's AI for 1. We know that Mecury Steam really wanted to do a Fusion remake so we're probably going to be seeing sooner than later.

...Make Samus speak...but ONLY in Chozo. Mainly because they actually did a conlang for Chozo and I want them to use it so we can see how complex it is.

I would like a non-rogue lite/like Returnal as a 3D Metroid basically at some point - give it a bit of Dead Space/Resident Evil horror for SAX etc... I think it would do very well, Fusion remake might be fun in the time between Prime 4 and whatever else is on the way esp getting the game feel as good as Dread

No Metroid Fusion.

Super Metroid.

Second that. Not only because I'd like to see it, but also because the game could use some helpful changes that'll make it more accessible/friendly to newcomers. Did play through it numerous times throughout the almost three decades, but its clunkiness and cryptic nature aren't exactly inviting for a recent generation of players. Case in point:

The best way to approach a Metroid remake is to treat it like the next sequel in the series. While Zero Mission was billed as a "remake", in my mind, it wasn't a replacement for NES Metroid so much as a sequel to Fusion. It was an evolution of what came before and wasn't a 1:1 rehash of the 8-bit original. If MercurySteam kept the basic premise of Fusion, but was allowed to color outside the lines to do their own thing and build on what worked from Dread, the opportunity cost of not making Metroid 6 would be more palatable.

They could call it:

METROID SYNTHESIS

Last edited:
I wouldn't want it at all. All the Metroid games that needed to be remade have been, and both Super and Fusion are timeless enough.
I would be dissappointed to learn that 3-4 years of dev time of a Metroid game went into a game I can already replay any time.

Somebody else already made the "Other M was a remake of Fusion" joke, so I won't bother. But put me in the camp that's strongly against the whole idea. There's little meaningful improvement to be had. And expanding the SA-X's presence would be terrible, it's the best of the stealth segments precisely because its encounters are brief and scripted "gotchas" that you don't have to engage with on subsequent playthroughs. They have made zero improvement with these in every subsequent iteration, and they and their dedicated areas are the worst part of the game every single time. It's not even accurate to describe them as stealth sections since going undetected is nearly impossible, you're best off just running and hoping for the best.

Eh, while I have issues with Fusion, I don't think any really warrants a remake, and changes too fundamental would just be better served for a new game. They already did a butchered sort of remake with Other M anyways. In regards to Super, I would need to make up big enough issues with that game to attempt to justify a remake.

The 2 Metroid games that needed the most reworking have already been done, series just needs new games from now on, all their good entries are pretty timeless.

Incoming hot take: They should remove any encounters with the SA-X. I don't like being chased in Metroid games so less of the SA-X and EMMI, the better in my opinion.

There's a reason most games with a stalker don't actually have the player running from the stalker 100% of the time. I'd much rather have well crafted stalker segments (like Nemesis in RE3 or the SA-X in Fusion) or clearly defined stalker zones (like Jack Baker in RE7 or the EMMI in Dread) then the alternative.

Fusion is still my favorite Metroid game ever, so I would rather like not changing a lot, aside for obvious QoL like FAST TEXT or the ability to skip it.

I LIKE Samus thoughts and have 0 problem with the mission based objectives. Samus states herself that she hates receiving orders but haven't much choices. She also states that she doesn't know if she can trust the computer or the Federation, while she's stuck on a space station with a murderous clone of herself at its maximum power while her equipement is at the weakest it has even been (seriously the damage taken is the biggest in the series).

But for NG+ / Speedruns, at least let players skip the cutscenes and dialogue like it is in Dread.

I want to say a smarter SA-X, where every encounter isn't necessarily scripted for specific moments. However, they would have to keep it from being too invasive. They did that in Dread by confining EMMI's to certain zones where it became dangerous every time you chose to go there. However, I don't think that would fit into Fusion's map or narrative because the SA-X is supposed to be a constant threat, no matter where you are in the station.

Another thing would be easier, or perhaps more obvious, connection points between the sectors without using the elevators. This is just a personal gripe because when I played Fusion on NSO, I got locked into doing the final mission after missing some hidden passages to other sectors. By the time I realized it, I was too far along for the rewind feature to be useful. I wanted to try for 100%, but I lost the motivation after beating the final boss.

I feel like changing these things could be nice, but they would risk changing the game's identity. A remake of Fusion could be great, but it would be a much more challenging project than Zero Mission. They were free to take a lot more liberties with that one, but I don't think that would be the case with Fusion.

I would rather they be involved in remaking Other M so that game could be improved into a better game with the shitty story parts retconned into something good. The 2D controls they implemented would easily translate well into 3D controls anyway and would work much better than what other m tried.

Add a resurrecting Mother Brain for the hidden sector and get infected by the X 😱
There’s already a brain in fusion though (the security drone that gets infected).

I feel like Zero Mission or Metroid 3 should be the games remade while Sakamoto and team figure out what the next Metroid game is.

If we ever got another Metroid 1 remake, I'd want it to be 3D. Either Prime style or third-person 3D.

Back
Top Bottom