• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity + Expansion Pass |ST| Whatever Happened, Happened.

Would you use a Guardian as a lawnmower?

• Total voters

TheMoon

(not a sphere)
Pronouns
He/Him
howacobanner1iktz9hkuy.png

0krAPcj.gif

Developer: Omega Force / Supervision by Nintendo EPD
Publisher: Koei Tecmo (Japan) | Nintendo (NA/PAL)
Release: November 20, 2020 | Final Expansion Pass Content: October 29, 2021
Platforms: Nintendo Switch
Genre: Pikmin but Backwards + Swords
Multiplayer: Local splitscreen co-op for 2 players
Online: Still no :<
DLC: Expansion Pass available for 20$/€
Demo: Yes, saved progress carries over to the full game.
File Size: 10.8GB (base game)
eShop pages: EU | AU | NZ | US | CA | BR | JP

aocstorypwkjk.png

tenor.gif
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity takes place 100 years before Breath of the Wild and tells a version of the events depicted in that game's "memories" chronicling the backstory.

While locking Calamity Ganon in place during its attack on Hyrule Castle in Breath of the Wild, Zelda's magic firing off causes a tiny Guardian to be sent back 100 years in time and it captured images of the catastrophic battle in the future. Link, Zelda, and Impa examine it with a Sheikah Slate that can somehow interact with the tiny Guardian...

Will it affect how events play out in the past?

Play the game and find out...

tenor.gif
What game modes are there?
Unlike the original Hyrule Warriors, all the content from the various modes (such as Adventure Mode) has been seamelssly integrated into the world map from Breath of the Wild/Age of Calamity. This means that special challenges (like those found in Adventure Mode maps) and NPC interactions as well as things like crafting and upgrading are all accessed through locations on the same map screen used to navigate the "main story."

What's in the Expansion Pass?
The Expansion Pass is split into two waves and goes for $19.99 | €19.99 | £17.99 (cannot be purchased separately). As a purchase bonus, you get a new outfit and weapon for Link:
  • Prototype Ancient Helm, Prototype Ancient Cuirass, Prototype Ancient Greaves, Prototype Ancient Short Sword
guardian_aoc.gif

Pulse of the Ancients (Wave 1), released June 18, 2021:
  • New playable character: Battle-Tested Guardian
  • Two new weapon types: Flail for Link and Master Cycle for Zelda
  • New location: Royal Ancient Tech Lab
  • Apocalyptic difficulty mode
  • New "Vicious Enemies"
  • New challenges and side quests
  • Four new music tracks

ff927921beea8df8a2c18227ebc7e4ab119f8199.gifv
Guardian of Remembrance (Wave 2), released October 29, 2021:

• New story arcs (Battle for Kakariko Village, Battle of Goponga Village, and more TBD)
  • Two new playable characters: Purah & Robbie, Sooga
  • New stages (Coliseum Lanayru Road, and more)
  • New battle skills for existing characters
  • and possibly more

aocmediabiklf.png

Last edited:
Wonderful OT and that subtitle lol absolutely fantastic 🔥 I skipped wave 1 of the dlc but I think I'll be getting the pass and enjoying it all as one big update

Wonderful OT and that subtitle lol absolutely fantastic 🔥 I skipped wave 1 of the dlc but I think I'll be getting the pass and enjoying it all as one big update
Yea I also haven't played with any of the Wave 1 stuff (and still have some post game stuff left over anyhow). I think that's also the best way to get into the expansion content (unless I'm missing something) since it also adds new stuff for the base characters.

I’m hype. Already had the pass but never got around to doing wave 1, and I saved the post story pair of characters and content so I wouldn’t burn out. So great opportunity for me to dive back in, plan to play some tonight and see if I can unlock anything

Hope Sooga is playable

Amazing ST!! is that a LOST reference in the title or am I crazy? anyways, I love this game so much.

I wonder who is going to be the last playable character and how meaty are those "character vignettes".

I don't even know when I'll have time to play this. I have the Genesis and N64 apps, a backlog of games, ACNH DLC, Pokemon, Dread's 2nd playthrough to finish, maybe SMTV and Death's door, and I'm sure a sale will add more to this.

Age of Calamity is the game my partner and I put the most time into this year. Over a few months we 100% the main game in co-op and we had a lovely time. Wave 1 came out right when we were finishing, so it flowed right into our play, so I wonder how it'll be to go back in after a few months.

Amazing ST!! is that a LOST reference in the title or am I crazy? anyways, I love this game so much.

I wonder who is going to be the last playable character and how meaty are those "character vignettes".
definitely not crazy :) it was gonna be the title on era for the og release but I kinda caved and went with a in-universe reference then and just put it in the story banner thing but now after playing the Faraday quote made even more sense :p

definitely not crazy :) it was gonna be the title on era for the og release but I kinda caved and went with a in-universe reference then and just put it in the story banner thing but now after playing the Faraday quote made even more sense :p
I see :) well it is nice to finally have a place to talk about the game now that the final dlc is about to drop.

A lot of people seem to have forgotten that this game even exist, but it's time to jump back in!

I barely touched the last wave of DLC, this stuff keeps dropping while there's lots to play!

I almost forgot that wave 2 is coming. It doesn't help that they barely mention it. Even wave 1 came and went on release day.

Can't decide if I want to get this. Had a blast with the base campaign but there are so many other things. I'll wait for more impressions about the new story content, I think.

Did covid ruin their plans? I got through the 3ds version (without issue) and if anything there was too much content and a ton of characters but this seems like 10 people short of the previous one.

Did covid ruin their plans? I got through the 3ds version (without issue) and if anything there was too much content and a ton of characters but this seems like 10 people short of the previous one.

This is a similar amount of content to the previous season passes. The thing about the 3DS game is it's the base Wii U game + That games season pass + New content made for the 3DS port + a new season pass for that game. This is obviously just the base game + one season pass.

3 new characters and two new weapons for existing characters + other content to use them on is about the same as the Wii U games first pack, which was a new weapon for each of Link and Zelda, plus Twilight Midna, Young Link and Tingle as playable characters.

Last edited:
As mentioned before the character/weapon content is similar to what we got in the actual first dlc pack for the first game, hovever the actual engagement content with more variety and actual story content is quite a bit meatier, it got maybe a map then the adventure map that was more grind than content. Covid definitely delayed the release schedule and maybe cost us a character tho

This game so dearly needs a Switch Pro... it looks great but those framerates... :(

Any initial impressions? Seems a bit more scattershot than I was thinking when I heard story expansion.

- There are several new campaign missions, some you play in completely new maps (like Kakariko) some reuse old ones (like for example: Korok Forest).

- Every one of those missions ends with a nice cutscene (similar to 'The Champions Ballad' in BOTW).

- The cutscenes offer character development and explain stuff. Won't spoil but there is one cutscene that is truly amazing and gives deep to an already amazing character.

- New weapons for the champions and for the future champions.

Thats mostly it.

Say where’s the easiest level to grind moblin records? Need em for a couple things

The new stories and cutscenes are really good, but it left me hungry for more. It's just a world I am heavily invested.

Knowing how much unupgraded characters suck I am now unlocking and upgraded Terako before I do the dlc story missions XD then again that’s why I saved the post story stuff. Also chipping away at the dlc 1 unlocks as well

Knowing how much unupgraded characters suck I am now unlocking and upgraded Terako before I do the dlc story missions XD then again that’s why I saved the post story stuff. Also chipping away at the dlc 1 unlocks as well
Link + master sword + side missions with 4 malice clones, and keep farming rupees

Aw, just got the real HWAoC base credits(unlocked Terako, no way am I doing the dlc2 story missions with an unupgraded unit. Also this is adorable

The new stories and cutscenes are really good, but it left me hungry for more. It's just a world I am heavily invested.

Damn, sounds tempting
I skipped the first batch of DLC due to a lack of story elements..but now..

How do you unlock the secret characterm
It's a reward for clearing a specific memory quest. Specifically the hidden one in The Yiga Clan’s Retreat, which requires that you don't let anyone flee, which requires going back to the closed gate when the Hollows appear to save the guy that stays behind.

A bit disapponted by the dlc, compared to the first HW DLC on WIIU:

• No costumes
  • Only 3 new characters
  • 1 new Boss
  • 3 new stages
  • 2 new weapon types for 3 types (attack, defence, neutral) for Link and Zelda with slighty different moves between every type
  • 1 new difficulty level (optional)
  • New weapons level for Champions
  • new move for some characters (standard move, more powerful)
  • Edit: new giant enemy, new standard enemy variant
All in 8 new story level, and some mission level.

Not only was I hoping for Sooga to be playable, but as an added bonus he's fun as hell to play as! When you get the timing for his counter right... it's beautiful.

A bit disapponted by the dlc, compared to the first HW DLC on WIIU:

• No costumes
  • Only 3 new characters
  • 1 new Boss
  • 3 new stages
  • 2 new weapon types for 3 types (attack, defence, neutral) for Link and Zelda with slighty different moves between every type
  • 1 new difficulty level (optional)
  • New weapons level for Champions
  • new move for some characters (standard move, more powerful)
  • Edit: new giant enemy, new standard enemy variant
All in 8 new story level, and some mission level.
I am just returning to the game now that the DLC is complete and finished up Chapter 7 of the main story last night.

Damn, this DLC really is quite disappointing. It's a decent amount of content I suppose, but the way it's delved out seems to handicap it. Unlocking new characters without missions to play them on, no new costumes... The EX moves for existing characters is great, and I hope the new stages get some good mileage at least?

Oh, and Astor really isn't playable? TK really loves their OCs so I'm surprised by that one lol

Overall I can't complain, it's a very animal crossing situation where I'm in the post-post-game 100 hours in and now starting to want more lol. Damn I hope we eventually get a performance patch for the next console though becuase returning to HW definitive edition in 1080p 60fps right after this was jarrrring.

Overall I can't complain, it's a very animal crossing situation where I'm in the post-post-game 100 hours in and now starting to want more lol. Damn I hope we eventually get a performance patch for the next console though becuase returning to HW definitive edition in 1080p 60fps right after this was jarrrring.
This'll likely benefit due to unlocked framerates, do not hold your breath for performances patches for collab games like this that weren't developed internally.

Been replaying for the first time for the last couple of weeks, currently at the beginning of Chapter 7. I played only when released, 100%ed it, so this is my first take with the DLC and I can say... I'm enjoying it? Maybe because going it from zero and actually trying to 100% everything available in the chapter before continuing (including advancing as much as literally possible with the Ex objectives), but I'm not feeling at all this is short or lacking - quite the opposite, I feel most of the time I'm spending is with Ex missions.

That said, Vicious Monsters missions are fine but really, really repetitive. The fact that so many reports are required (how much can it be? 30? 40 reports?) for what is essentially the same mission... well, that's some MMORPG-level grinding, and not in a good way. Besides that, I think it is quite fun, and I'm actually missing having three side missions, like the Memory Quests ones, on the main chapter missions.

I know it's a lacking DLC compared to HW1, but for a Musou first-timer like me, I'd say it's quite worthy.

First post here. Hi people =]

Got the 2 DLCs and reached 100% completion in AoC some days ago. Had a blast all along. And since I've grown up with the N64, I'm not that sentitive to fps drops (my most played game is friggin' Perfect Dark and had tons of fun), so I barely registered any while playing.

Would be my 2020 GOTY if it wasn't for Hades.

Back
Top Bottom